AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2011-01-17, 19:16   Link #81
Garigari-kun
The Combat Otaku

Location: Hiding here in Closed Space with Haruhi, Konata, Nagi, and Kirino. Reading: Grimoire
Quote:
Originally Posted by inkphoenix View Post
Haha+ I don't take it seriously anyway.

Anyway For the Jc.staff fans.I recommended Nanaka 6/17 if you want to learn about jc.staff more. Somehow I see the list in the myanimelist and remember that I've ever watch this anime too.And remember that It looks really good.
Are you guys ever heard about this?
Look like it's something rare...again.
Another Romance, Comedy, Drama, and Slice of life lol

I'm gonna watch it now...

Nendoroid Good Smile Company
"I'm just one
Hell of a OTAKU"
Garigari-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-05, 18:59   Link #82
FireChick

In case anyone's interested, this studio is gonna work on the anime adaptation of Hotta Kiichi's manga, Kimi to Boku.
FireChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-05, 19:52   Link #83
Chaos2Frozen
She's Watching

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireChick View Post
In case anyone's interested, this studio is gonna work on the anime adaptation of Hotta Kiichi's manga, Kimi to Boku.
Sadly, very few people remember about the shoujo-ish series that JC Staff do. Ironically, they're the same people that gets the impression that JC Staff doesn't do anything other than Action/Romance/Comedy (ARC) Light Novel adaptations.
Chaos2Frozen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-05, 19:59   Link #84
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

With the latest Hidan no Aria, I can definitely say JC staff is striking out yet again. I mean is this sort of mediocrity the best they can churn out these days? They're quickly turning into a trashy studio, almost on the level of DEEN these days.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-05, 22:09   Link #85
Konakaga
Yuri Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Konakaga Send a message via Skype™ to Konakaga
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
With the latest Hidan no Aria, I can definitely say JC staff is striking out yet again. I mean is this sort of mediocrity the best they can churn out these days? They're quickly turning into a trashy studio, almost on the level of DEEN these days.
tbh Hidan no Aria has felt a good bit better than Yumekui Merry did last season by them at least . [Though they could easily drop the ball with the completely with the ending of it D:]
Konakaga is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-05, 22:14   Link #86
Archon_Wing
Throw it on the ground
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
They drop the ball more often than not though... or rather perpetually turn it over.
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-06, 03:58   Link #87
Electromaster
Misaka Loyalist

Send a message via MSN to Electromaster
I really hope J.C. Staff's future projects related to the Toaru Majutsu no Index light novels and its off-shoot manga, Toaru Kagaku no Railgun, will be more successful than Toaru Majutsu no Index II... that was a decently-sized dissapointment to my friend, who's read the light novels, and myself (I'm currently in the process of reading through the the LNs from Volume 7-onward).

Some of the fight scenes in it were questionable, imo. I personally feel J.C. Staff, at least in that instance, took upon too many anime series at once, which ended up hurting Index II in the end; this, alongside the company giving only two episodes dedicated to Volume 8 of the LNs.

Also, the last arc of Index II also annoyed me a bit, since...
Spoiler:
The seiyuu for Kihara fit perfectly though, imo. I loved their choice of seiyuu for him, on a positive side-note. xD

At any rate, I hope for animation quality and volume-to-episodes adaption quality to improve by the time of Railgun II (not sure when this is coming, since Index/Railgun always had October releases.. and Shana III is coming this October..) and/or Index III (which, from spoilers I've read, gets considerably darker from the previous seasons <_<).

Aside from that, I'm looking forward to Shana III (on Episode 6 as-of June 6, 2011) after I finish through Shana II and S.

I'm not trying to bash J.C. Staff indescriminantly here, it's just criticism of their portrayal of Index II. I'm not even too sure of the amount of details and character development lost from the novel-to-anime adaption, which's why I'm reading through from Volume 7-onward in the Index LNs (and plus Baka-Tsuki doesn't have any novels preceding 7 TL'd aside from Volume 1 T_T) to confirm and see what the anime's missing from the original LNs...

~Misaka no tame ni!
Electromaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-06, 14:53   Link #88
Akuma Kinomoto
木之本 悪魔

JC Staff. They seem to go all over the place for me, although I do find Best Student Council to be very delectable. But I constantly misread their name as Shaft instead of Staff and vice-verse...that can't be a good sign.
Old 2011-06-07, 00:00   Link #89
ahelo
Criminal Unrequitor
*Graphic Designer

They have a lot of my favorites like Toradora, Nabari no Ou, Honey and Clover, Nodame Cantabile, Railgun etc. but they have made a lot of lackluster series like Okami-san and Yumekui Merry and generally horrible ones like ZnT and this season's Hidan no Aria.

They can do great series if they want but sometimes they just bank on Rie franchises and expecting any series with her as a lead to be a cash-in (which I guess almost is).
Old 2011-06-07, 16:49   Link #90
solomon

Frankly I am surprised there is a JC Staff thread.

They seem to be the proverbial archtype anime studio. Frankly a lot of their stuff seems to live or die based on the quality of the source material.

They seem to have above average animators or at least contract with really good ones so I'll give em props for that. Toradora for example looked WAYYY too good for a show of it's ilk.
solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-14, 15:24   Link #91
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

I don't think the latest Kaimisama no Memoucohu is a bad series. It's been pretty good so far, and it's a step in the right direction so far for JC staff. Hope they don't screw it up in the end though.
Old 2011-08-14, 15:28   Link #92
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

For every Aoi Hana (which JC animated, believe it or not), there's a Hidan no Aria. Same deal with DEEN, for every RK: Trust and Betrayal there's... uh... well everything else I guess.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-14, 15:33   Link #93
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
For every Aoi Hana (which JC animated, believe it or not), there's a Hidan no Aria. Same deal with DEEN, for every RK: Trust and Betrayal there's... uh... well everything else I guess.
RK: Trust and Betrayal was eons ago, they're just a bad studio now. DEEN is unforgivable. Higurashi Kira was merely but another bag of disgusting filth they threw in the audiences faces and we all stood there and watched.
Old 2011-08-14, 16:04   Link #94
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

To be fair, the second season of Hakuouki was pretty damn good.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-14, 16:52   Link #95
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I realize this is a JC Staff thread and not a DEEN thread - but DEEN did Giant Killing last year and that was an outstanding series. They also have SnI and they're doing a decent job with Nurarihyon. They aren't great, but it's way over the top to call them a waste and just a bad studio.
Guardian Enzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-14, 17:15   Link #96
Triple_R
"...Why?!", Sailor Faerie
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Just in case anybody here is interested in reading it, I'm going to shift over my comments on JC Staff on the Kamisama no Memochou thread to this thread here:

JC Staff has a tendency to deviate a lot from the source material (and from what I've read, Kamisama no Memochou is no exception here).

It's at a point where I think JC Staff is genetically incapable of doing a truly faithful adaptation. They're the complete opposite of Kyoto Animation in that regard.

Kyoto Animation more or less lets the source material speak for itself (which fans of the source material naturally tend to like), whereas JC Staff basically takes their preferred action/comedy/fanservice blend, and tries to get just about every anime that they do to conform to it, even when it doesn't fit well and is at odds with the source material.

For example, any major female character that's even remotely like Shana ends up being a Shana-esque loli tsundere in the anime, and is frequently even given Shana's famous seiyu (KugRie) as her voice actress.

For me, these are JC Staff's flaws summed up in a nutshell.

In fairness, JC Staff works tend to have great OPs, great EDs, and generally excellent animation quality.

To a certain extent, I think that JC Staff's strengths and weaknesses are somewhat reflective of the modern anime industry as a whole, where good artistic/animation quality is increasingly common, but source material faithfulness is difficult to find. JC Staff is not as bad as DEEN, but they're not as good as KyoAni or SHAFT either, imo.

I think that JC Staff is a reasonably solid anime studio, particularly for anime-only viewers. I personally had no real issue with the ending of Shana Season II, for example. But I honestly have to feel for source material fans whenever JC Staff (or, worse, DEEN) picks up their favorite LN/VN/manga, because I can't think of many that didn't inevitably end up with source material fans greatly displeased.

While I have different bones to pick with Kyoto Animation, it's a shame that KyoAni's approach to source material faithfulness has not been emulated by the much more prolific (in the number of properties that they do) JC Staff and DEEN.
Old 2011-08-14, 18:14   Link #97
Corwin_r

Send a message via MSN to Corwin_r
I generally like J.C. Staff projects, though from my perspective there are a few major flaws in most of them:

- They pick up doing anime based on manga or popular light novels with very little material to work with. I've seen almost every show they made in the past few years and Toradora was probably the last show they managed to round up with a good ending.

- They don't invest equal effort and budget into all shows they make. For example in the previous fall season J.C. Staff did 3 shows of which everybody knew Index would get most attention and the biggest budget. The other two were Otome Youkai Zakuro and Milky Holmes, I mean really, did someone actually have expectations for Milky Holmes?

I may be forgetting about something, but in general, J.C. Staff isn't a studio with stunning production values in their shows and certainly not one you can expect breathtaking serious anime of. Their most recent shows, Memo-chou and Hidan no Aria are the pits imo, more accurately Hidan no Aria was the pits, Memo-chou is the only NEET thing to do...
Old 2011-08-14, 18:20   Link #98
Chaos2Frozen
She's Watching

Well It won't be fair of me to defend JC Staff while bashing Deen, so I have to say for the record- I did like Zombie, Seitokai, and Nurarihyon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Just in case anybody here is interested in reading it, I'm going to shift over my comments on JC Staff on the Kamisama no Memochou thread to this thread here:

JC Staff has a tendency to deviate a lot from the source material (and from what I've read, Kamisama no Memochou is no exception here).

It's at a point where I think JC Staff is genetically incapable of doing a truly faithful adaptation. They're the complete opposite of Kyoto Animation in that regard.

Kyoto Animation more or less lets the source material speak for itself (which fans of the source material naturally tend to like), whereas JC Staff basically takes their preferred action/comedy/fanservice blend, and tries to get just about every anime that they do to conform to it, even when it doesn't fit well and is at odds with the source material.

For example, any major female character that's even remotely like Shana ends up being a Shana-esque loli tsundere in the anime, and is frequently even given Shana's famous seiyu (KugRie) as her voice actress.
Copy and pasting what I've said earlier as well...

This whole "takes their preferred action/comedy/fanservice blend" might have something to do with their shows having similar vibes... But mostly because people just don't seem to remember any of their other shows except the popular ones... Which usually have a KugiRei Loli so despite what people are complaining, Kugimiya is still the deciding factor when most people choose to watch their shows because frankly I don't see alot of people bringing up their shoujo series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
For me, these are JC Staff's flaws summed up in a nutshell.

In fairness, JC Staff works tend to have great OPs, great EDs, and generally excellent animation quality.

To a certain extent, I think that JC Staff's strengths and weaknesses are somewhat reflective of the modern anime industry as a whole, where good artistic/animation quality is increasingly common, but source material faithfulness is difficult to find. JC Staff is not as bad as DEEN, but they're not as good as KyoAni or SHAFT either, imo.

I think that JC Staff is a reasonably solid anime studio, particularly for anime-only viewers. I personally had no real issue with the ending of Shana Season II, for example. But I honestly have to feel for source material fans whenever JC Staff (or, worse, DEEN) picks up their favorite LN/VN/manga, because I can't think of many that didn't inevitably end up with source material fans greatly displeased.

While I have different bones to pick with Kyoto Animation, it's a shame that KyoAni's approach to source material faithfulness has not been emulated by the much more prolific (in the number of properties that they do) JC Staff and DEEN.

Another thing about KyoAni and Shaft is that they do very little shows, less than a handful each year; KyoAni when they find something they like, they stick to it be it Key VN or 4koma, I didn't really mind it at first but over time... Shaft on the other hand have mix success with their adaptations especially in the sales segment. But personally for me- the genre of the shows they adapt is usually not really my favorite- Out of everything they've done so far only Bakemonogatari and Denpa Onna stuck with me.

And lets face it without the Anime, most Light Novels and some mangas would go unnoticed by the general public, while this is no reason for not doing a faithful adaptation, it does really help spread the word and JC and Deen does quite alot of adaptation every year.

I'm not sure how this thing actually works, but I wonder if they should change their policies and do like what every other studio is doing- Adapting only one or two series per year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corwin_r View Post

- They pick up doing anime based on manga or popular light novels with very little material to work with. I've seen almost every show they made in the past few years and Toradora was probably the last show they managed to round up with a good ending.
That's because Toradora had ended.

And it's not a matter of very little material, there are plenty of materials, but the source itself doesn't leave alot of satisfying places where you can end.

Quote:
- They don't invest equal effort and budget into all shows they make. For example in the previous fall season J.C. Staff did 3 shows of which everybody knew Index would get most attention and the biggest budget. The other two were Otome Youkai Zakuro and Milky Holmes, I mean really, did someone actually have expectations for Milky Holmes?
They did 4 shows Fall of last year.

Quote:
I may be forgetting about something, but in general, J.C. Staff isn't a studio with stunning production values in their shows and certainly not one you can expect breathtaking serious anime of. Their most recent shows, Memo-chou and Hidan no Aria are the pits imo, more accurately Hidan no Aria was the pits, Memo-chou is the only NEET thing to do...
I don't know what the policies are, but when you have to do at least two shows for every season, it does take it's toll on the budget and manpower

Studios with stunning visuals don't do shows every season.
Chaos2Frozen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-14, 21:05   Link #99
Corwin_r

Send a message via MSN to Corwin_r
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post

They did 4 shows Fall of last year.
Oh yeah, forgot about Bakuman.

On the topic of their popular shows and their mentioning, I think Honey and Clover, Revolutionary Girl Utena and Nodame Cantabile were the best shows they produced. So yeah, I liked their shoujo/josei shows more than the KugiRie ones.
Old 2011-08-14, 21:37   Link #100
Decagon
This was meaningless
*Scanlator

Sometimes it feels like they're just shooting all the fish in the pond instead of leaving something for some other studio to do better. And what they do pull out they use to make fish parfaits or fertilizer with.