AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Suggestions

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-12-22, 14:41   Link #1
Marlan35
<3 LW Raidy E>
*Artist

Wink Neon Genesis Evangelion?

is it worth watching? and how many episodes are there?
Old 2010-12-22, 15:16   Link #2
roriconfan
Banned

Send a message via MSN to roriconfan
That is such a objective question. How should we say you will like it when we don't know your tastes? There is no way you will like a comedy if you only enjoy dramas.

Listen what, it is amongst the top 5 most influential anime of all times. If historical reasons are not enough, then try to have an open mind and keep record of all that happens in it.

As for the episodes...
http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=rel&aid=22
Old 2010-12-22, 15:29   Link #3
JRendell
Manga Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to JRendell
I believe it's one of those that you just have to give a go.

Protip: Manga originals are
always better than Anime
adaptions.

-listening to-
-current desktop-

Old 2010-12-22, 16:35   Link #4
Niji

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlan35 View Post
Yes

If you like mecha, if you dont mind somewhat odd ends, and/or looking around for alternate ends, if you dont mind apocalyptic anime, if you dont mind fanservice, and prolly some more if nots. It is an awesome anime IMO, and not just cuz it wrote anime-history, so to speak.
Old 2010-12-22, 16:39   Link #5
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

It's an anime worth watching if not just for the educational standpoint it gives you in respect to anime history.

It is however a very awesome anime. Do not watch this show for mecha battles, that is not what this show is about in the end.
Old 2010-12-22, 18:02   Link #6
Yuno
Balanced Diet

Send a message via Skype™ to Yuno
Works best in a marathon. If you are going to watch Eva, try to watch it all in one go. If you watch it all at once make sure you have friends along. I did that and it magnified the experiance for me. The themes and things are fun to discuss and talk about with them afterwards. It actually opened a lot of discussion for several days between my group. It can be a bit nihilistic in it's undertones though, if I remember correctly.
Old 2010-12-22, 18:06   Link #7
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Most influential anime ever, IMO. Love it or hate it (I love most of it) you should definitely see it.
Old 2010-12-22, 18:24   Link #8
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
Do not watch this show for mecha battles, that is not what this show is about in the end.
The mecha side of Evangelion is a great watch to suck in viewers, though the beauty of the series is that there's so many elements that can be enjoyed.

As for the OP's question, just try the TV series and see what you make of it. If it's not your cup of tea, then give the Rebuild of Evangelion films a try.
Old 2010-12-22, 19:20   Link #9
Autumn Demon
~

I hated it. But if you're a hardcore anime fan you need to watch it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roriconfan View Post
That is such a objective question.
subjective...
Old 2010-12-22, 20:57   Link #10
lightsenshi
Author

Quote:
Do not watch this show for mecha battles, that is not what this show is about in the end.
No, please. Watch this show for the mecha battles.
Old 2010-12-25, 13:13   Link #11
LeoXiao
提倡自我工業化

The thing about this show that makes it so great is that it's almost 100% devoted to characterization and getting inside people's psyches. As you keep watching, even the earlier episodes (which weren't very "deep") start playing a huge retroactive role.
Old 2010-12-25, 14:30   Link #12
Archon_Wing
Hater
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Why yes, it has good action scenes, lots of humor, and of course a bunch of mindscrew and interesting character interactions. But be warned:

It's a bit more hard to stomach than your average show, as some parts can be quite opaque, and the only way to understand the show is through context so I would recommend taking your time on it. It's also disturbing psychologically in many places. No, it's not awfully graphic but it manages that anyways. (which I hold to a higher respect than shows that are disturbing just for the sake of being disturbing)
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2010-12-26, 04:41   Link #13
roriconfan
Banned

It's better than Pokemon. And Pokemon is an equally famous anime. So yeah, it worths it. XD
Old 2010-12-26, 11:11   Link #14
roankun
Tsundere Lover

Send a message via Skype™ to roankun
I was actually wondering the same thing.

But I'm not interested much in mecha (I kinda enjoyed Code Geass, but Gundam is big meh for me) so I was wondering if I can follow the story just fine I don't watch the TV series. Just the movies. And when I say movies, I don't mean the Death & Rebirth, since it doesn't have very good ratings.

Uh, what I mean is: Would I be fine if I just watch the 1.0 and 2.0 movies? Those are the only ones that really interest me (and I have no idea why). I'm still thinking about watching the End of Evangelion movie.

Any suggestions?
Old 2010-12-26, 12:12   Link #15
roriconfan
Banned

^ The first movie is a lot close tot he series. The second is a lot different. Your call.

Or just watch them all and be done with it.
Old 2010-12-26, 13:01   Link #16
zette

Quote:
Originally Posted by roankun View Post

But I'm not interested much in mecha (I kinda enjoyed Code Geass, but Gundam is big meh for me) so I was wondering if I can follow the story just fine I don't watch the TV series. Just the movies. And when I say movies, I don't mean the Death & Rebirth, since it doesn't have very good ratings.

Uh, what I mean is: Would I be fine if I just watch the 1.0 and 2.0 movies? Those are the only ones that really interest me (and I have no idea why). I'm still thinking about watching the End of Evangelion movie.

Any suggestions?
You would be able to follow the story if you just watch the Rebuild movies, although I would definitely recommend that you watch the TV series as well. By only watching the movies, you miss out on a lot of character interactions and development that in my opinion is an integral part of a show like this with such complex characters.

And this show is more than just your average mecha anime. I'm not too much into mecha myself but I enjoyed this series immensely. I echo the sentiments of the previous posters and suggest that you and the OP of this thread should watch a few episodes and determine if it is to your liking.
Old 2010-12-26, 19:25   Link #17
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by roankun View Post

Any suggestions?
The first movie is very similar to the original, however, the second movie is very different.

I personally think the 2nd movie is garbage and does the franchise of Evangelion an immense disservice.

Please watch the original before ever considering the movies.
Old 2010-12-26, 23:27   Link #18
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

The TV series is, for me, the true telling of Eva (including the ending). The others are just studio-produced fanfiction - albeit sometimes very good fanfiction.
Old 2010-12-27, 01:25   Link #19
Tom Bombadil

Quote:
I personally think the 2nd movie is garbage and does the franchise of Evangelion an immense disservice.
Can't agree with you more. Sure it got beautiful animation etc., but what have they done with Asuka?!!!

But I think 14 years old is a bit too young to watch the TV series, considering the many themes that the later part of it deals with.
Old 2010-12-29, 01:13   Link #20
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlan35 View Post
Yes.

Plus a movie called End of Evangelion.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Closed Thread