AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Games

Old 2011-05-24, 22:32   Link #21
GundamAce
Traveler of Infinity

Huh. They're really going all out today to tell us the game isn't dead.

Okay, so it's for two systems and has a release date, cool. But would it kill them to give us some actual info?
GundamAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-25, 01:17   Link #22
VDZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by GundamAce View Post
Huh. They're really going all out today to tell us the game isn't dead.

Okay, so it's for two systems and has a release date, cool. But would it kill them to give us some actual info?
Hey, showing people your game sucks is pretty bad marketing, you know. It's better to just keep shouting 'INFINITY GAME INFINITY GAME INFINITY GAME'.
VDZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-25, 14:28   Link #23
ramengud

Some screen shots for Code 18

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/201...e_18_psp_x360/
ramengud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-25, 14:53   Link #24
VDZ

Wow. It's like they're not even trying to make it look like an infinity game.
Old 2011-05-25, 15:01   Link #25
Klashikari
Swords•Maidens Maniac
*Graphic Designer

... truth to be told, this looks like one of these random galge you can have every month...
I know judging a book solely on its cover is bad, but so far the vibes are arguably not so favorable (and it looks quite retro so say it plainly).
Klashikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-25, 15:02   Link #26
GundamAce
Traveler of Infinity

I know. Right now, it looks like "Generic Eroge #7171112" or something like that.

It's like they're getting desperate to show it off, too. "Look at our generic VN that we slapped an Infinity label onto, people! Now let's see you try and beat it with your... remake of admittably KID's most popular VN of all time and one of the most critically acclaimed VNs ever. But still, we'll definitely beat that... game about a nuclear meltdown by one of the original creators of the franchise we're r*ping, which, despite the bad timing, sounds pretty f***ing awesome from what's been revealed... yeah, we'll just throw up the white flag."

Though I do admit the backgrounds look nice, though the character models are cr*p. The CGs are a mixed bag, I'd say.

They need to pull out something amazing or they will lose my respect. My only hope is that if this game does turn out to be bad, that it doesn't soil the rest of the Infinity series' name with it.

I also hope that the reason Ever17 was delayed wasn't to make this game look better or help its sales.
Old 2011-05-25, 17:44   Link #27
ramengud

Quote:
I also hope that the reason Ever17 was delayed wasn't to make this game look better or help its sales.
I agree. This doesn't even feel like an infinity game. Just using the infinity name to cash in. We don't even know the scenario writers or the basic premise of the story.
Old 2011-05-25, 17:57   Link #28
VDZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramengud View Post
We don't even know [...] the basic premise of the story.
Actually, we do:
Quote:
code_18 is set in a high school in 2018 and follows the exploits of Hayato Hino, a second year student in the school's science club who attempts to make his Dragon Mk-7Va flight unit fly.
Yeah. We just don't know what the fuck any of this has to do with the infinity series.
Old 2011-05-25, 21:54   Link #29
GundamAce
Traveler of Infinity

Incidentally, the full character names and their seiyuu have been revealed:

Tamaki Tatekawa: Kei Shindo

Yuzu Soraki: Sanae Kobayashi

Hikari Haruna: Ai Nonaka

Nanari Torikura: Yuko Goto

Arika Tokitou: Madoka Yonezawa

Ai Nonaka? That's surprising, she already played Myuu in 12Riven, so I'm surprised they reused her voice in this series. To be honest though, I didn't really like Ai Nonaka in 12Riven- she was decent, but she only seemed to have one tone of voice (no matter what, it always sounded a bit ditzy to me), and rarely got emotional when the situational called for it. I wonder if she'll do a better job here.

The main site's been updated as well. I'll get around to translating the new info.

Well, despite how crappy it looks, I'll probably buy it anyway to see if it's good or if it's as bad as it looks. Maybe it'll turn out to be "decent" like 12Riven, but at least 12Riven had the dignity not to look generic at all. Or maybe it'll be the inverse of 12Riven (which had a great story, but a rather lacking cast).
Old 2011-05-25, 22:19   Link #30
GundamAce
Traveler of Infinity

Story Segment
Quote:
Current time: September 11, 2018, 11:17:30 A.M.
Now commencing Project D 107 experiment.

From now is only a short while until the future. A junior at Ryuusei Academy and a member of the second science club, Hayato Hino, has been working hard to test out his invention today. He stands on the school's roof with his handmade small flight unit, "Dragon Unit Mk-7Va". His goal is to make it fly in the wide blue sky.

"It'll fly this time. I will definitely grab the sky with my own hands!"

But, just before Hayato can fly away, a strange scene appears before his very eyes.

"KYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!"

An unknown girl, wearing the same flight unit as Hayato, is flying. No, to put it accurately, she's falling. She draws near the ground. Hayato reaches his hand out. But there's no way he can reach her hand...

Ever since meeting that mysterious girl, Arika Tokitou, Hayato's world has changed. A message sent by an unknown sender from the future. Clear feelings, memories, and partings. The accumulation of the repeating pasts open up the future.

"Conditions all green. TAKE OFF!"

... And once again, Hayato Hino is flying.
Not quite sure what to make of this. I'm more confused than anything, but it's not in a negative or positive way.

Last edited by GundamAce; 2011-06-03 at 12:57.
Old 2011-05-26, 05:03   Link #31
ramengud

Well, it does feel confusing. Probably more info will be revealed as the release date gets closer.
Old 2011-05-26, 07:34   Link #32
GundamAce
Traveler of Infinity

Character Segment
Quote:
Hikari Haruna (Ai Nonaka)

"You're being a bother to Torikura-san, so how about thanking her properly?"

A cheerful heroine who always does her best. In the past, she yearned for Hayato like a puppy yearns for its master, though she's a bit of an airhead (?). She likes helping others, and even though she frequently assists Hayato, she feels she may be doing it a bit too much...

Yuzu Soraki (Sanae Kobayashi)

"When did science become a religion... no, wait, for Senpai, that's completely the case..."

Hayato's energetic friend, who looks rather boyish. She interested in Hayato, but is not very good at conveying it. In times when people are in trouble, she takes the initiative to help them, acting like an older sister.

Tamaki Tatekawa (Kei Shindo)

"What are you saying? Just take a little look!"

A senior, and the daughter of a wealthy family. She has a vulgar mouth, and tends to have bad first impressions of people, but has a soft side deep down and likes cosplay. She is very knowledgable about games and anime, and often attends events, cosplaying as various characters.

Nanari Torikura (Yuko Goto)

"Is there no research... into time machines?"

A girl who speaks very little and wears expressionless glasses. She seems to feel nothing towards others, and gives off the atmosphere that she's like a robot with no concept of living, but deep down she has a kind personality.

Arika Tokitou (Madoka Yonezawa)

"I was born with my 'element' already built in."

A younger, childish girl with a devilish personality. Occasionally seems to be a little clumsy. She seems constantly busy, and doesn't wear a uniform. She seems to dislike Hayato, and always calls him "you". Is she really an acquaintance of Hayato's!?
My guess is that the main heroine will be either Hikari or Arika (though Hikari might play a role similar to Yuka from Never7).
Old 2011-05-26, 10:21   Link #33
Kaos!

Seeing that Cyberfront is openly listing their game as part of the Infinity Series(surprisingly they didn't count the Integral in), here's a few things I was thinking about.

One of the fun part of playing through the Infinity Series is that you do not need to have knowledge of the past games, but having the knowledge would allow you to better appreciate the some of the subtle things. Eg: Kurumi and Izumi's(N7) common link to You(E17), Libilith in E17 and R11 and some other stuff that involves heavy spoilers from the past series.

Given this, I'm not sure if Cyberfront prepared things to make the readers feel that this story really happens in the same universe as the Infinity series(doesn't help that staff list was not mentioned and not a single staff involved in the Infinity series is on this project).

Also, too bad Cyberfront did not take the chance to make a story of Tom, Julia and the rest of the kids who got Cure'd(We only know what happened to one of them in E17). This is one of the plotlines that never really got expanded on and has a lot of potential.

Regarding the characters, there's indeed a lot of resemblence to the N7 cast.
Hikari = Yuka
Tamaki = Saki
Nanari = Haruka
Arika = Kurumi

So what's the chance Arika will play the role of trickster
Spoiler for E17,R11 Spoilers:

Spoiler for N7 Spoilers:

considering there is 1 in every of the infinity series.
Kaos! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-01, 16:12   Link #34
ramengud

Trailer of the game.
Also the creators of the game is a group called Run and Gun.
More info on the link
http://www.siliconera.com/2011/06/01...o-for-code_18/
Old 2011-06-01, 16:15   Link #35
GundamAce
Traveler of Infinity

The opening sounds decent.

Yeah, I figured there was no way in hell that this was being written by any of the original Infinity members. I still think it looks somewhat interesting, but it's probably not going to be anywhere near as good as any of the other Infinity games. As long as the sci-fi elements in this game are somewhat good, then I think it'll be decent. It'll probbaly just lacks the masterful planning that Nakazawa and Uchikoshi put into all the other games in the series, which is what made this series truly great.

... You know what, forget that. I'm not thinking this as an Infinity game anymore, just as some sci-fi visual novel. Root Double deserves to be the next Infinity game, not this.

Well, maybe I'm being too harsh on it at that moment. Once I actually get to play it, I'll see. I'll be shocked if this game turns out to be amazing, but I'm rather dubious about that.
Old 2011-06-02, 14:58   Link #36
winkel

You can clearly tell the Infinity brand was utilized to draw attention to the game, and nothing else. Well, it's the same like 5pb reviving the SDR Project label for DUNAMIS15 even though it's done by an new outsider company, anyway.

Can't blame Cyberfront though, gotta put those properties you bought to good use. Especially if 5pb won't buy them because they have their own series now (the Science Adventures Series) that's just as strong and probably even stronger at this time.

I decline considering Root Double as being the next Infinity game though, that's just like claiming 999 should be the next game. The writer is important, but they aren't the only thing that make the game. A true Infinity game has to have a significant proportion of Infinity staff on it, from the writer to the producer to the director to the sound artist. One link in the chain does not an Infinity make, but many links.

As for the trailer, it actually looks good... I think they cleaned up the game a lot from the earlier screenshots, because the character art doesn't look like a 2000 game anymore.
winkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-02, 15:09   Link #37
GundamAce
Traveler of Infinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by winkel View Post
You can clearly tell the Infinity brand was utilized to draw attention to the game, and nothing else. Well, it's the same like 5pb reviving the SDR Project label for DUNAMIS15 even though it's done by an new outsider company, anyway.

Can't blame Cyberfront though, gotta put those properties you bought to good use. Especially if 5pb won't buy them because they have their own series now (the Science Adventures Series) that's just as strong and probably even stronger at this time.

I decline considering Root Double as being the next Infinity game though, that's just like claiming 999 should be the next game. The writer is important, but they aren't the only thing that make the game. A true Infinity game has to have a significant proportion of Infinity staff on it, from the writer to the producer to the director to the sound artist. One link in the chain does not an Infinity make, but many links.

As for the trailer, it actually looks good... I think they cleaned up the game a lot from the earlier screenshots, because the character art doesn't look like a 2000 game anymore.
That's a good way of putting it.

I think my last post was mostly in the heat of the moment, as I've had time to calm down and think about it, and at the very least, I don't think this game is going to suck. I just don't think it'll please me in the same way that Ever17 did. But if I look at it from another angle, perhaps I can like it in a different way than I like the rest of the Infinity games. I guess perspective will be important when playing the game.
Old 2011-06-02, 16:01   Link #38
Elvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by GundamAce View Post
I just don't think it'll please me in the same way that Ever17 did.
NOTHING EVER WILL. YOU'LL NEVER FEEL THAT WAY EVER AGAIN ;-;

Seriously, you won't enjoy any games if you keep the bar that high. C18 was meant to be played as C18, not as a competitor of E17. Right now E17's buzzing around your head like a fly, not letting you enjoy the game with 100% of your attention the way the writers' intended.
Which brings up an interesting thought, how would an infinity game turn out if Cyberfront gave the new writers a copy of E17 and went "here, beat this"?
Elvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-02, 17:01   Link #39
ramengud

Quote:
NOTHING EVER WILL. YOU'LL NEVER FEEL THAT WAY EVER AGAIN ;-;
Well, Ever 17 is the best visual novel I've played. Comparing other games to it will lessen your enjoyment of those games. The only other visual novels I've played that came close to Ever 17 for me were Cross Channel and Muv Luv Alternative.
Old 2011-06-03, 03:30   Link #40
winkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvin View Post
Which brings up an interesting thought, how would an infinity game turn out if Cyberfront 5pb gave new writers a copy of E17 and went "here, beat this"?
We're about to find out soon with the new Ever17!

As for beating Ever17, he means in the sense of "the Infinity series," I'm sure. When a game is considered a part of the Infinity series, the de facto benchmark is without a doubt Ever 17. In the general realm of visual novels/adventure games though, there are a lot of other titles one can put up there or even past Ever 17, I think.
winkel is offline   Reply With Quote