AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > AnoHana

Notices

Old 2011-04-25, 16:01   Link #441
CWW
Lurker

I'm hooked to the ED myself. Perfect song, really. Haven't actually heard it before, so I was pleasantly surprised it was a ten year-old song.
CWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-25, 16:07   Link #442
Wakan Tanka

The crossdressing-theory is so damn stupid. Here's a one fact: Menma couldn't be seen or heard. I bet that he/she is Harry Potter or something.
Old 2011-04-25, 16:10   Link #443
Saturn Beaver
Home of Silent Prayer

Send a message via MSN to Saturn Beaver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tu101uk View Post
Sorry, just could not resist... XD Though admittedly that's a nice alternative way of looking at things...

I can't wait to see Anaru's development episode, just to see if she goes through with dropping her "galpal" facade. It'll definitely be an interesting watch (plus she needs to lose those "galpals" pronto >.>;;...

O-O~
Ahhh, dammit, I really didn't mean it like that, pun fully not intended...

Oh, and echoing CWW in really loving the ED, my favorite of this season. Why haven't I heard of this sooner...
Old 2011-04-25, 16:16   Link #444
Deconstructor
Crossdressing Menmatic

This is the most powerful anime I've seen in years.
Deconstructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-25, 17:47   Link #445
UltimaWolf
~Nani...?~

^ It does seem that way so far, doesn't it.
Old 2011-04-25, 19:09   Link #446
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Such a shame though that being 'powerful' or full of 'impact' doesn't necessarily translate to a whole lot of discussion. I mean, as much as I love AnoHana, there really isn't much to talk about as everyone is pretty much in agreement, nor there really isn't much controversial stuff apart from the 'sniffing' scene in episode 2.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-25, 19:42   Link #447
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

447 posts for two eps of this type of show is actually pretty good, IMO.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-25, 19:43   Link #448
applejuice
I kill you
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
Such a shame though that being 'powerful' or full of 'impact' doesn't necessarily translate to a whole lot of discussion. I mean, as much as I love AnoHana, there really isn't much to talk about as everyone is pretty much in agreement, nor there really isn't much controversial stuff apart from the 'sniffing' scene in episode 2.
Well, the word 'powerful' fits better for Mado Magi 3rd and 10th episode... ^^;;

If I were to describe Ano Hana, I say 'the most flawless anime I've seen in recent years'.
Old 2011-04-25, 22:38   Link #449
Deconstructor
Crossdressing Menmatic

Actually, there's a lot about Anohana I'd like to talk about.

There's really only one thing about Anohana that makes it implausible in real life - and that's dead Menma being able to interact with the rest of the world. The viewers see Menma is able to open doors and eat food. Menma's materialization seems to fit in with many traditional conceptions of ghosts: they can influence our real world, and sometimes even talk to us. Perhaps in future episodes, the rest of Jinta's friends can also see Menma as Jinta does.

I notice Menma has the mannerisms of a child, even though she's supposedly around the same age as Jinta. Symbolically, it looks like childhood idealism and adolescent cynicism are doing battle inside of Jinta's mind - and childhood idealism is slowly winning. Jinta wants to return to the days of being the leader of the Super Peace Busters, and he wants everyone else with him. The saddest part is, I think everyone else longs for their past. But on the outside, Tsuruko and Yukiatsu claim they've thrown away such foolish dreams and matured into hard-working students. Really, they still can't get over the memories of Menma's death... and the joy they shared playing Nokemon together. Just look at Yukiatsu, he's got Menma's old sundress... in... his... closet...

Now I'm not saying the Super Peace Busters should all go back to searching the forest and hanging out together in their little shack. They're all grown up now... what they must accept is Menma's death. Her death served as a grim reality check; it essentially shattered the dream that everyone would remain friends forever. But the fear of losing each other doesn't mean everyone should have broken up and went their separate ways, pretending such dreams never existed in their pasts. Instead, Jinta and his friends should cherish the time they shared together... and admit they still wish to be friends.

Menma and Jinta are somewhat like the "glue" holding the group together. Jinta and Menma have a crush on each other. Anaru likes Jinta and Yukiatsu likes Menma. Tsuruko likes Yukiatsu, and Poppo... well, he doesn't seem to be romantically interested in anyone. One could argue Yukiatsu, Anaru, and Tsuruko were merely latching onto their crushes. But I think Anohana is trying to show that love shouldn't interfere with true friendship. Anaru was jealous of Menma, yes. But that didn't stop Anaru and Menma from being friends. Anaru... she wanted to be so badly like Menma because she was infatuated with Jinta. Somewhat obvious, I guess. But I'm actually somewhat glad for her time away from Jinta, because Anaru now accepts her curly hair.

Ultimately, I believe Anohana shows how friends, dreams, and wishes are often lost in the cruel realities of life. No one remains friends forever. But the answer is not to reject the past, as if it never happened. Instead, Jinta and his friends must come to terms with Menma's death, and admit it should have never separated them from being true friends.

Ugh. Now I sound like some motivational speaker. Hmm... anyone else enjoy the Menma fanservice?
Deconstructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-25, 22:40   Link #450
Triple_R
Center Attraction

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
I know what you mean.

AnoHana is just very solid, heartwarming, serious, slice of life drama. There's no glaring flaws at all, but at the same time, there's not many specific scenes here that leaves me wanting to think over it and discuss it at length.

It's not particularly hammy, but nor is it particularly subtle. It's pretty clear cut and effective at what it wants to convey, but it's not notably loud or theatrical either. Very measured, very careful, generally good writing and realistic characters and dialogue.
Old 2011-04-25, 22:57   Link #451
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

I think the first episode has a lot of problems with the directing. The pacing was pretty bad; the whole story had a 'three steps forward, two steps back' feeling. It was especially frustrating because I figured out Menma was dead almost immediately. It also seemed to depend on simply depicting something sad and expecting us to be sad. If it had focused more on characterization, I think it would have had a lot more impact. From a storytelling perspective, I think it would have been a lot more interesting to keep it ambiguous as to whether Jintan is actually seeing Menma's ghost or just a hallucination. The second episode is much better in overall, though.
Old 2011-04-26, 02:11   Link #452
totoum
Oppai warrior

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatPianoBoy View Post
It was especially frustrating because I figured out Menma was dead almost immediately.
Which would be a problem if they had tried to hide the fact Menma was dead,but they didn't

Quote:
From a storytelling perspective, I think it would have been a lot more interesting to keep it ambiguous as to whether Jintan is actually seeing Menma's ghost or just a hallucination.
We've got 11 episodes to get the band back together which is what the story is really about,there's no time to waste on a "is she real or not" subplot which in the end would have nothing to do with the real story.
Old 2011-04-26, 03:38   Link #453
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyth View Post
So I came across this article/thread summation with speculations Yukiatsu may be crossdressing as Menma. Thoughts on this?
Hahaha oh wow. I want this to be true for the sheer (unintentional) comedy value. Imagine what kind of faces the rest of the cast would make if they saw that
Old 2011-04-26, 03:56   Link #454
BaKaBaKaOtaKu
Stupidity is Bliss.

T__T what an emotional episode.

btw, yukiatsu's one creepy guy.
BaKaBaKaOtaKu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-26, 04:13   Link #455
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWW View Post
She's voiced by Haruka Tomatsu. Did she have a role that wasn't tsundere in some way?
I think Haruka Tomatsu is the perfect example of a VA who has a well defined role that just seems so natural for her, but at the same time has plenty of roles showcasing her vast range. Someone like K.Rie would be an example of someone who has totally been typecast.. and voicing Aria this season just reinforces that. Whereas while Tomatsu has those pseudo tsundere roles she's just perfect for she still voices lots of other character types.

I'm a massive Tomatsu fan... I know she had a lot of people early on thinking she was gifted seiyuu stardom because of her looks (people mention they had to audition her 4 times for the Nagi role in Kannagi...)and marketing appeal.. but since Tomatsu came out I wouldn't take any seiyuu who has burst onto the scene ahead of her.

I don't know why she hasn't taken off as much as say Hanazawa Kana or Yuuki Aoi but I think she's much more talented than them. The Kannagi role reversal she did with Kana shows a clear difference imo...
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-26, 04:38   Link #456
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Hahaha oh wow. I want this to be true for the sheer (unintentional) comedy value. Imagine what kind of faces the rest of the cast would make if they saw that
Comedy value or not, it certainly would spice things up quite a bit. We've got increasing hints that Yukiatsu is creepy (first episode, that cold look when he opened the closet. Second episode, the smelling scene), but to think it would come to that extent. Let's see if it's actually like that, and if true what's the reasoning behind it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
The Kannagi role reversal she did with Kana shows a clear difference imo...
I remember a rumour/speculation saying that originally in Kannagi, Tomatsu Haruka was called to play Zange, while the first choice for Nagi was Hanazawa Kana. At that time Kanazawa was much more known than Tomacchan, who only have had the lead role in To-love-ru and a secondary character in Kyouran Kazoku Nikki in her resume.
In any case, that 2 minutes reversal role imho showed how much more Haruka was at ease dubbing Zange, than Kana dubbing Nagi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
I don't know why she hasn't taken off as much
This is also something I wonder about sometimes. For example in winter she almost took a complete break, with a mere 8 episodes of Mitsudomoe 2 and the follow up in Star Driver. Perhaps it's her own choice too, she's got University (but for example Yuuki Aoi attends University too but still stars in a sheer number of shows) and started a solo singer career, other than being part of Sphere.
Old 2011-04-26, 06:09   Link #457
totoum
Oppai warrior

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellissier View Post
For example in winter she almost took a complete break
But this spring she's got C,AnoHana,Hanasaku Iroha so it's not like she's completly dead,at least she's getting more work than her sphere colleague Takagaki Ayahi who's someone I'd really like to hear more from.
Old 2011-04-26, 07:21   Link #458
MaiNoKen
◕ ‿‿ ◕
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I know what you mean.

AnoHana is just very solid, heartwarming, serious, slice of life drama. There's no glaring flaws at all, but at the same time, there's not many specific scenes here that leaves me wanting to think over it and discuss it at length.

It's not particularly hammy, but nor is it particularly subtle. It's pretty clear cut and effective at what it wants to convey, but it's not notably loud or theatrical either. Very measured, very careful, generally good writing and realistic characters and dialogue.
Having action, shocks, and twists at the beginning of any novels and dramas are very important to grab viewer/reader attention and discussions. The rule includes classic novels to anime.

Last edited by MaiNoKen; 2011-04-26 at 07:43.
MaiNoKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-26, 10:04   Link #459
Pocari_Sweat
Basketball > Chickens

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I know what you mean.

Pretty much nailed what I wanted to say. This anime so far has virtually no flaws and is neither too or under (melo)dramatic. It's just great, solid writing without resorting to ham and transitions very well. The only ham I could argue is the ED, but it fits in very nicely with the atmosphere of the series. At the same time, there hasn't been any scenes (yet) where I wanted to cry, though I predict I will by the end of the series.

I don't usually give out ratings but I would give it 10/10 for both eps so far.
Old 2011-04-26, 13:50   Link #460
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by acejem View Post
This anime so far has virtually no flaws
I’ve seen this go on for a few pages now, and honestly while it doesn’t have anything major, it has plenty of flaws:
  • Except for the male lead and Anaru, character designs (art + tone + voice acting) are somewhat mediocre and cliche (ie. I’ve seen them before more then I would like). There’s no real character that gives out the “omg awesome” feeling either, which I feel is essential to any show, and in particular a character driven one such as this one.
  • The setting is also special. Kid fort, school, etc, are all motifs that come on a lot. Popo is probably the most interesting one in the show, even though his design (personality included) isn’t exactly original, it’s pretty rarely used.
  • The ghost mechanics are somewhat iffy. Menma’s lack of expressiveness is also sometimes more distracting then helpful to the story.
  • The mood doesn’t really build up because the main character really only seems to go with the flow, and a little bit due to Menma’s influence. The pretext is a little shallow and hard to sympathize with as well. Even if we’re not talking it being some kind of mini-drama at heart, it’s still up in the air if the show takes itself seriously or not. As has been mentioned a few times, romance between little kids is a little hard to take seriously, and right now that’s all it has. Though I’ll give it one thing, it fleshes out the “liked you since we were little” theme pretty well.
Anyway, the show is not bad by a long shot (yet), but I suggest you hold the “this is the best thing since sliced bread” comments till after a few episodes have passed, or the main plotline has fleshed out a little. If Iroha is any indication you might get hugely disappointed if you get the wrong idea about it at this stage.

Tags
coming of age, drama, moe, noitamina, slice of life, supernatural, tragedy