AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > AnoHana

Notices

Old 2011-05-09, 00:19   Link #701
Archon_Wing
Throw it on the ground
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyFlcn View Post
Menma is suffering

Episode 5 stuff:
Spoiler:
Spoiler for episode 4:
The greatest lie is to convince people that the world is a dangerous place and a zero sum game where you are never safe. Distrust others and fight them for scraps, while the real enemy that spreads this lie takes the whole pie.
Avatar and Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480 (Stormbluff Isle)
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-10, 09:17   Link #702
TheGeekHuntress
If only you were brave.

I just started watching this show and I am so glad that I did. I can't wait to catch up so I can read all the spoilers. I won't label this the best show of the season but it is definitely seems like its trying to get there.
TheGeekHuntress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-11, 19:55   Link #703
ahelo
Criminal Unrequitor
*Graphic Designer

Hanairo/Anohana Rivalry: A pitiful attempt to pit them against each other.
Old 2011-05-11, 21:03   Link #704
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

As brought to you by Makoto from Denpa Onna...

There's room in my heart for both - it's not a competition. But if it were, AnoHana would be winning...
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-11, 21:27   Link #705
Archon_Wing
Throw it on the ground
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Hanairo is a pretty show and has the best character (Ohana) out of the shows' casts.

Anohana is better at everything else. It never compromises its narrative even during silly moments and characters have depth when you take in account the situation and how they handled the events that happened to them. Just watching the show gives me the feeling that it has an artistic touch to stir emotion, and honestly I have very little to complain. It's better in being both funny and dramatic.

To me, there's at least 2 levels of difference between the storytelling. This isn't to say that Hana Iro is bad in any way, but Ano Hana just stands out better, while Hana Iro may be somewhat above average-- nothing special.
The greatest lie is to convince people that the world is a dangerous place and a zero sum game where you are never safe. Distrust others and fight them for scraps, while the real enemy that spreads this lie takes the whole pie.
Avatar and Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480 (Stormbluff Isle)
MyAnimeList || Reviews

Last edited by Archon_Wing; 2011-05-11 at 21:48.
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-12, 06:11   Link #706
darkmanure

I dropped Ohana in 1 episode, it was nothing special to me. It did have great production values though, much greater then Ano hana in that department (not like it needs it though).

The soundtrack of Ano hana does disappoint me at times. Some of the scenes felt like the soundtrack was forcing the mood instead of complimenting it. I guess I'm spoiled by Welcome to NHK soundtrack.
darkmanure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-12, 21:42   Link #707
Izayoi
I LOVE FLAN_CHAN
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Izayoi
I definitely cannot see how Hanairo is superior. Personally, it is just another anime I could drop and feel good about dropping. (Maybe I am making too bold of a statement without supporting it with something, but then again who cares bout my opinion...) Also [I] have no idea why people feel so obstructed by the fact Menma could eat and move physical objects. Though, how Menma died still remains one of the big mysterious[to me]. (Have yet to watch Episode 5)

Last edited by Izayoi; 2011-05-13 at 16:38.
Izayoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-13, 14:13   Link #708
deadite

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forget-me-not
deadite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-13, 14:24   Link #709
Flower
Purrrrfectly cuddly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
... There's room in my heart for both - it's not a competition. But if it were, AnoHana would be winning...
Me too.

Both series are great imo. But Ano Hana gets the nod for being a little better in my camp.
Old 2011-05-17, 18:00   Link #710
InfiniteDistance

This is definitely my favourite show right now. Though I like the visuals, it's about the feeling and atmosphere it conveys, it all feels so..gentle and subtle. It definitely makes me think about my own post-school (high school as well as uni) and the friends that have come and gone (mostly gone.. forever alone.gif).
Old 2011-05-18, 06:56   Link #711
recover

the show is good, no doubt....but i had high expectations going in, seeing as some people compared the "emotional value" as rivaling Clannad After Story.

its a solid slice of life, as im sure we all have something in the past to move on from, thus making it easy to relate.

would say its FAR from a masterpiece though...en-route to a 7 or 8/10 ranking for me, unless they really ramp up the drama/SOL elements
Old 2011-05-18, 07:19   Link #712
Pocari_Sweat
Basketball > Chickens

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Quote:
Originally Posted by recover View Post
the show is good, no doubt....but i had high expectations going in, seeing as some people compared the "emotional value" as rivaling Clannad After Story.

its a solid slice of life, as im sure we all have something in the past to move on from, thus making it easy to relate.

would say its FAR from a masterpiece though...en-route to a 7 or 8/10 ranking for me, unless they really ramp up the drama/SOL elements
People's mileage varies no doubt. But for me personally, this anime almost has the emotional impact as Clannad After Story but minus all the slapstick comedy that was at least half of the first season, which is why at the moment I would rate it higher. But then again I'm not much of a fan of such humour, so that's where my mileage varies.

But we're only half way through so it's still possible to a suddenly take a noise dive in quality. However, I'm optimistic so I don't see it really happening and suddenly making a 180.

EDIT: Plus, this was probably the only anime that had me almost shed some tears from the first episode.
Old 2011-05-18, 08:35   Link #713
VentAileron
Aha~ha~ha~

Hmm, Clannad delivers the heart-tugging moments in short strong punches, while AnoHana seems to be more subtle on that part. Then again, a single episode of AnoHana is rich with emotional content, whereas Clannad has...well a lot of 'I-don't-care-about-this' scenes.
VentAileron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-18, 09:03   Link #714
BladeEntity
Anything's Possible
*Author

The difference between Clannad and Anohana would be the fact one is a VN adapation (albeit one of the better ones) and the other is an anime original. The number of episodes needs to be factored in Clannad lasted 2 seasons enough to fufill the intended romantic comedy for season 1 and in season 2 the more emotional aspects are put into play, family, life and death.

For AnoHana, since its shorter the emotional story the producers and writers thought of must play out within that number of episodes on that note, the themes are different.

AnoHana focuses on growing up similar to HanaIro. AnoHana focuses on the life after experiencing the death of someone close. So the main character Jintan is not the same as Ohana and is more focused on bringing out an emotional response rather than a "she's so cute" response.

On the whole I like both shows really much as they both are about coming of age and most importantly they are anime originals I love watching those...
Old 2011-05-19, 02:43   Link #715
Spartanz1170

This show has certainly have my attention... I want to see how it ends
Spartanz1170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-20, 06:08   Link #716
nekolexis

Ano Hana's been absolutely amazing. Each episode is beautifully crafted, from character designs, animation and music.

edit by Mod: link removed

Last edited by Pellissier; 2011-05-20 at 06:32. Reason: you've already posted that link in another thread, no need to post it twice.
nekolexis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-28, 11:57   Link #717
cyth
ふひひ

I have a question for thread participants: how excited are you for AnoHana?

Honestly, I've built up very mixed feelings about it. Each week we dissect each episode and reflect on how to the show is progressing. Most of us reconfirm it to be among the best, if not the best show of the season, but I feel like I'm lacking something that I usually feel when watching series of AnoHana's quality grade.

Then I thought: maybe its genre provokes a different type of response compared to other great shows that come from different genres.

The problem I have is that I'm certain I will completely forget about it in a couple of months' time, I'm also certain it's not a candidate for my to-recommend list. Could it be that the slice-of-life drama genre is just not that exciting (anymore)? That's what I'm trying to find out.
Old 2011-05-28, 15:20   Link #718
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyth View Post
On pins & needles pretty much. I'm pot-committed emotionally at this stage - I've bought into the premise and whatever the ending is - good or bad - it's going to have an impact. I don't personally have any feelings that this will be a series I quickly forget.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-28, 15:54   Link #719
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyth View Post
I really like the show, but I'll say this much... The overflowing praise for the show, that many tout it to be the absolute best of the season with an unquestionable margin between it and its competitors just feels totally off the mark. I think people express a huge genre bias when it comes to any shows of slice of life nature.

In terms of how memorable this anime is... Right now it's about at the level of True Tears for me. A really nice show, tightly written, but not something I go out of my way to be a complete fanboy of. That of course may change depending on the ending, which can elevate it to a higher status.

I do however think that Ano Hana isn't what is typically found in the slice of life genre, but at the same time it doesn't help it evolve at all either. Hanasaku Iroha's first tow episodes seemed to be on the right track to making it a more exciting genre, but it tailed off on the episodes afterwards.

To surmise: Ano Hana is a very good show, but not one that will redefine the genre by any means, nor is it undoubtedly the best of the Spring 2011 season. How well it's remembered? The verdict is still out on that one.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-28, 16:16   Link #720
Flower
Purrrrfectly cuddly!

To answer Cyth's question I am in the same general boat as Guardian Enzo.

I agree with Reckoner that Ano Hana will (probably) not re-define the genre; however for me thus far it is the best of the Spring 2011 season.

Not to say that there are others I am not enjoying (Hanasaku, Nichijou, TWGOK S2, Denpa and Gosick are on my ongoing series list atm) but at the moment this is definitely the one I am enjoying the most and look forward to the most.

Tags
coming of age, drama, moe, noitamina, slice of life, supernatural, tragedy