AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2011-01-01, 02:28   Link #1
Salt
the cynic

Will we ever see "real robot" anime again?

Even these days, Gundam (the "founder" of the genre) is practically in "super robot" territory.

I miss the days when mecha have technical details like vents, "realities" like malfunctions, look, move and feel like they actually have weight and inertia.

Where they don't have stupid high agility and appear to be actually made of metal rather than plastic.
Old 2011-01-01, 08:26   Link #2
Gault
inc_mplete

IMHO!!!

After Seeing "The 08Th MS Team" , every other Gundam series looks like shxt

I don't like the whole "Gundam > any MS" , I watched the 1st Series of 00 and I remember one episode.. Graham Aker in his flag fcucked up the trio Gundams , I WAS HAPPY I WENT APESHXT , the fact that he caughed up blood from the amount of G Force put upon him after the battle made it even better , however I didnt see anything like that after , So I didnt watch series 2

we need that.. Gundams can be destroyed feeling again.. and not by another Gundam , I mean from another Grunt MS
Gault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-01, 08:29   Link #3
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gault View Post
we need that.. Gundams can be destroyed feeling again.. and not by another Gundam , I mean from another Grunt MS
That actually happened in Gundam 00, both seasons. For a good portion of it as well.
Old 2011-01-01, 10:19   Link #4
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

gundam 00 actually pretty good showing between balance gundam against other MS

at start of story they curbstomp whole world. however as story progress. it getting easier for them to hit gundam. until gundam ultimately lose (s1 anyway)
Old 2011-01-01, 10:27   Link #5
IronWarrior
KenshiWarrior

Ever watched Gasaraki?

That is real mecha, it's got a good story line with good art work, you should enjoy it.
IronWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-01, 10:52   Link #6
mechdra

And here I though that real robot killed super robot.

The line has been blurred since G Gundam where real robot performing super robot ability.

Look at the bright side, Macross still retain its real robotness. Code Geass is the same as well.
mechdra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-01, 10:57   Link #7
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechdra View Post
Code Geass is the same as well.
Code Geass was always in the centre between real robot and super, though second season easily changed that. Very super robot, especially towards the end of the series.
Old 2011-01-01, 13:36   Link #8
Salt
the cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gault View Post
IMHO!!!

After Seeing "The 08Th MS Team" , every other Gundam series looks like shxt

I don't like the whole "Gundam > any MS" , I watched the 1st Series of 00 and I remember one episode.. Graham Aker in his flag fcucked up the trio Gundams , I WAS HAPPY I WENT APESHXT , the fact that he caughed up blood from the amount of G Force put upon him after the battle made it even better , however I didnt see anything like that after , So I didnt watch series 2

The 08th MS team was the only Gundam series I watched from start to end. Never got my hands on the older stuff, except the Stardust movie.

Personally I wish they would get rid of the "Gundam - super overpowered prototype" concept and just let the protagonists use run of the mill, mass produced mecha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWarrior View Post
Ever watched Gasaraki?

That is real mecha, it's got a good story line with good art work, you should enjoy it.
Never heard of this series. Just Youtubed the opening, looks good.
Will check it out. Thanks.

Quote:

The line has been blurred since G Gundam where real robot performing super robot ability.

Look at the bright side, Macross still retain its real robotness. Code Geass is the same as well.
I mostly agree with Shiroth, but I put it more towards "super robot".

The series' "mecha protagonist" Lancelot moves and behaves like a "super robot".
If it looks like a duck, sounds like a duck ...

That and the tech behind it.
The interesting thing about "real robot" anime is that the tech, while containing fantastic elements, is (significantly) grounded in real life tech.

Would be nice to see Patlabor like mecha design again.
Old 2011-01-01, 15:31   Link #9
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

well they problem is that real robot it self must have some super robot esque consider they technically impractical in real life. also they have to make it awesome consider it merchandise driven

08Th MS probably as closer as it get really
Old 2011-01-01, 15:34   Link #10
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

I see people aren't watching Break Blade then? That's easily the closest we've been to 'real robot' for a while now.
Old 2011-01-01, 15:55   Link #11
IronWarrior
KenshiWarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
I see people aren't watching Break Blade then? That's easily the closest we've been to 'real robot' for a while now.
Oh, yes am watching that, loving it but bloody hell... the breaks between each one is way too long to really enjoy it like it should be enjoyed.
IronWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-01, 16:08   Link #12
roriconfan
Banned

Send a message via MSN to roriconfan
Meh, making a mecha move realistically is time and money consuming and most people want superficial entertainment. If you want realism in anime today, chances are you will find some in slice of life shows. Mecha is now synonym to BIG AWESOME EXPLOSIONS.
roriconfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-01, 17:34   Link #13
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I have to say I'd be a lot more interested in series that featured gritty mecha that *looked* and *acted* as if they were 30-60 tons. As it is with all the 'physics-instafail', you might as well say they're powered by enslaved fairies who pump their wings and spray pixie dust. Heck, some of my favorite video games involved gritty thumping mecha careening through canyons and across alien landscapes.

But underneath what they're driving, there's still gotta be a story worth the watch or it isn't for me.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-01, 18:06   Link #14
roriconfan
Banned

Send a message via MSN to roriconfan
My favorite mechas besides 08th Team include Escaflowne, Neon Genesis and Xenogears, none of which are real. And I was never fond of the Votoms simple way of telling things either.
roriconfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-01, 20:24   Link #15
Guernsey
The GAP Man

Send a message via AIM to Guernsey Send a message via MSN to Guernsey Send a message via Yahoo to Guernsey
That always bugged me about 'real' robot anime as well. While my experience with mecha anime is limite, I always wondered what keeps the robot from collapsing on itself and why humanoids are them most reealistic design despite the practicality of other designs. I am not an engineer (yet) or a mecha otaku like everyone but I always wondered how they are to afford making those robots? Our real world weapons cost a fortune to make but in anime, you have beam swords, fin funnels, beam rifles and the like yet they could be remade no problem in ther next episode? I gotta ask what are the costs of making such weapons? Lets face it, Gundam is no more 'real' than any other robot show despite the mention of Minosky's particles in 00.

Super Protoypes? Weapons that can only be used by genetically enhanced humans? Psionically controlled weapons? "Empathic Weapons"? Maybe good for super robots but 'real' robot shows that should not be not possible.

Quote:
My favorite mechas besides 08th Team include Escaflowne, Neon Genesis and Xenogears, none of which are real. And I was never fond of the Votoms simple way of telling things either.
I am the same as well but it also makes you ask, what exactly are the mechas your piloting? Eva is the only mecha I know of where the machine is the mosnter as opposed to most shows where the super robot fights monsters.
Old 2011-01-01, 20:37   Link #16
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:

Nah, G Gundam did no such thing.
Imagawa's vision was obviously to make a super robot Gundam from the start, it's Super Robot in every sense of the word.

Quote:
That actually happened in Gundam 00, both seasons. For a good portion of it as well.
Yeah, but it doesn't change the fact that Gundam wasn't portrayed as super robot tanking machine of death.
Gundams should be presented like a Tiger Tank. A superior war machine, but only by reasonable margin over others.
Not "epic geared lv85 tank LFG" mech.

As for the topic, I feel there's not much mech shows in general.
Gurren Lagann was an excellent reimagining of the Super Robot Genre, and I loved it.
But we haven't really had a similar thing with Real Robots. I think Eureka Seven did an admirable attempt, though.

For Super Robots, we need the come back of the great Yuusha series! Or hell, linage of Wataru/Granzort/Lamune style would be cool too.
For Real Robots, I hope to see resurgence of titles resembling great classics like the UC Gundams, Votoms, Dougram, Layzner, and hell even Dragnar.
Old 2011-01-02, 00:47   Link #17
Salt
the cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I have to say I'd be a lot more interested in series that featured gritty mecha that *looked* and *acted* as if they were 30-60 tons. As it is with all the 'physics-instafail', you might as well say they're powered by enslaved fairies who pump their wings and spray pixie dust. Heck, some of my favorite video games involved gritty thumping mecha careening through canyons and across alien landscapes.

But underneath what they're driving, there's still gotta be a story worth the watch or it isn't for me.
This is mostly what I'm getting at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrw View Post
well they problem is that real robot it self must have some super robot esque consider they technically impractical in real life. also they have to make it awesome consider it merchandise driven

08Th MS probably as closer as it get really
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guernsey View Post
That always bugged me about 'real' robot anime as well. While my experience with mecha anime is limite, I always wondered what keeps the robot from collapsing on itself and why humanoids are them most reealistic design despite the practicality of other designs. I am not an engineer (yet) or a mecha otaku like everyone but I always wondered how they are to afford making those robots? Our real world weapons cost a fortune to make but in anime, you have beam swords, fin funnels, beam rifles and the like yet they could be remade no problem in ther next episode? I gotta ask what are the costs of making such weapons? Lets face it, Gundam is no more 'real' than any other robot show despite the mention of Minosky's particles in 00.

Super Protoypes? Weapons that can only be used by genetically enhanced humans? Psionically controlled weapons? "Empathic Weapons"? Maybe good for super robots but 'real' robot shows that should not be not possible.

I am the same as well but it also makes you ask, what exactly are the mechas your piloting? Eva is the only mecha I know of where the machine is the mosnter as opposed to most shows where the super robot fights monsters.
As I mentioned, fantastical elements are there of course, not asking for perfectly realistic science.

But it should at least have some realistic elements in it, even if it's only superficially.

While not every show has to be done "real robot" style, I agree with James Cameron when he said "The more fantastic the subject, the more realistic the situation needs to be.", it helps "ground" the audience.
Old 2011-01-02, 00:51   Link #18
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salt View Post
While not every show has to be done "real robot" style, I agree with James Cameron when he said "The more fantastic the subject, the more realistic the situation needs to be.", it helps "ground" the audience.
Actually, that's been a standard maxim for science fiction and fantasy LONG before James first drew breath. The "fantastic" works best when people still have a cup of tea in the afternoon or other key notes to anchor the viewer, that's why Tolkien was adamant about including the sort of mundane daily life on the road as well as the epic moments.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-02, 00:56   Link #19
Salt
the cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Actually, that's been a standard maxim for science fiction and fantasy LONG before James first drew breath. The "fantastic" works best when people still have a cup of tea in the afternoon or other key notes to anchor the viewer, that's why Tolkien was adamant about including the sort of mundane daily life on the road as well as the epic moments.
I got that quote from the "Making of T2", it rings true so I remembered it.
As an experienced film maker, he was probably just explaining it as a matter of fact in how he goes about making his films.

And for most part, he is one of the rare film makers that I know of that actually seem to take the maxim to heart.
Old 2011-01-02, 01:25   Link #20
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Depends on what you classify "real robot". There were some new Votoms OVA's and of course Gundam UC which seem to fulfill the "real robot" concept. There's also Break Blade which so far seems pretty much in tune with the whole idea of "real robots".

Quote:
Yes, but people always seem to pay attention to the 00 Gundam and not the other ones which were pretty much on par with the higher end grunt units of the first and second season. The GN-X and Ahead series I mean. The 00-Raiser was much the same except for when it was in it's "Trans-Am" mode and had reality warping powers for a few minutes.

What most people don't understand about the term "real robot" though is that it doesn't actually mean "real" as in realistic. It's confusing cause the Japanese have a really weird sensibility when it comes to labeling things and frequently misunderstand the meaning of English words.

What it actually means is that there is an attempt to ground the behaviour of the robots in some form of science as opposed to just to just making it do things that cool and calling it a day. This can mean anything from science that is in modern technology or depictions of scientific theory that could be put into use in the future or science fiction.

What it has nothing to do with as many people mistakenly think is the depiction of even tiered battles, although those are always interesting to watch because they are regularly more intense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roriconfan View Post
If you want realism in anime today, chances are you will find some in slice of life shows..
You'd think so wouldn't you. Problem is "slice of life" has become more a way of saying wish fulfillment fantasy these days. Instead of trying to depict anything resembling actual life they often depict highly idealized perfect lives where characters fulfill fetishes and ideals as opposed to having much in the way of depth and meaningful interaction with one another, and where everybody is happy pretty much all the time AND human males may or may not in fact exist.

The last "slice of life" show I remember that provided a suitable amount of realism by my standards, or at least a multitude of tones that mimicked the ups and downs of life, was Welcome to The NHK.

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2011-01-02 at 01:44.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote