AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Umineko

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2011-02-01, 20:33   Link #681
Leafsnail
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
"Sorry, madam, Kanon is far too busy fertilizing the roses. I mean, you don't want a typhoon to hit a bunch of unfertilized roses, do you?"
Leafsnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-01, 20:37   Link #682
AuraTwilight
The True Culprit
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: The Golden Land
Send a message via AIM to AuraTwilight Send a message via MSN to AuraTwilight
Except never have ALL the servants been required to clean the chapel properly. Genji does one part and then at most two sevants can handle everything else.

As for "the plan", well....if Natsuhi's really trying to rehearse that shit with only three hours of preparation, then she's stupider than I thought.

Either way there's always simple ways for outs; there's apparently so much to do that I doubt that Natsuhi would ever make all the servants stop to address them all at once. EP7's backstory drops that a lot; if all the servants need to be addressed, she has Genji do it since she doesn't have the time.
__________________
When the Silent Spirits Cry: An Umineko/Silent Hill crossover fanfiction
http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost.php?p=4565173&postcount=531
AuraTwilight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-01, 20:39   Link #683
Cao Ni Ma
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Quote:
...then she's stupider than I thought.
This is it, just suspend your disbelief right here but for every Ushiromiya and everything runs great!
Cao Ni Ma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-01, 20:51   Link #684
Leafsnail
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
I think it varies from episode to episode. I mean... does Battler even see Kanon in ep4? He could just be an almost complete fiction on some of the gameboards.
Leafsnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-01, 21:00   Link #685
Chron
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherringford View Post
I'll take this one. It's unnecessary because there are better tricks to use in its place, it's unreasonable because it requires us to assume all characters are idiots, and it requires assumptions because up until episode 6 we had basically no evidence to support it. The only way to arrive at its conclusion was "let's try the most ridiculous theory that gets around red and reminds us of Higurashi in a way!" which is bad reasoning.

If you want to say that there were clues for Shkanon back in episode 1 or 2, like you have said in the past, go ahead. But really those come down to "now that I know the answer I can find evidence to support it." It's like arguing in favor of creationism.
Shkanon aside, I will totally argue in favor of creationism.

The beauty of it is that it can mean whatever I want it to.
Chron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-01, 21:01   Link #686
LyricalAura
Dea ex Kakera
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Sea of Fragments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafsnail View Post
Hey, isn't Genji furniture too? But... perhaps we should leave that for some other time, heh.
In all seriousness, this is actually a pet peeve of mine. Almost everyone's refusal to address this frankly rather glaring point drives me straight up the wall.
__________________
"Something has fallen on us that falls very seldom on men; perhaps the worst thing that can fall on them. We have found the truth; and the truth makes no sense."
LyricalAura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-01, 21:10   Link #687
Leafsnail
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
"As Shannon is to Yasu, Genji is to Kumasawa"

...Would be one possible resolution. Genji never gets any backstory or explanation or anything, it's kindof strange.
Leafsnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-01, 21:21   Link #688
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalAura View Post
In all seriousness, this is actually a pet peeve of mine. Almost everyone's refusal to address this frankly rather glaring point drives me straight up the wall.
Maybe if we had any backstory information on Genji whatsoever we'd know what he means by any of this.

Hey remember that flashback Kinzo supposedly had where Nanjo confirmed meeting him and Beatrice? No Genji there. Must've shown up later. What happened? Oh well, guess it doesn't matter.
__________________
Redaction of the Golden Witch
I submit that a murder was committed in 1996.
This murder was a "copycat" crime inspired by our tales of 1986.
This story is a redacted confession.

Blog (VN DL) - YouTube Playlists
Battler Solves The Logic Error
Renall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-01, 21:38   Link #689
witchfan
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuraTwilight View Post
I have no idea what you're trying to say here.
This requires an explanation, yes. I'm dead tired, so the post was a bit incoherent. My original post had a link into a video which I thought showed Battler meeting Beatrice, but it turns out was not. I then tried to extract the script from Witch Hunt's patch (not having the game installed at present), but it turns out you can't read it from the text file (duh). Finally, I somehow mixed a theory of mine into the burnt corpse thing. I suppose it's a bit too late for me to be theorising, but hey. I'll present the theory itself:

Spoiler for Long theory:

Last edited by witchfan; 2011-02-02 at 12:41.
witchfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-01, 22:00   Link #690
Sherringford
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafsnail View Post
"As Shannon is to Yasu, Genji is to Kumasawa"

...Would be one possible resolution. Genji never gets any backstory or explanation or anything, it's kindof strange.
We get a "I OWE MY LIFE TO YOU MASTER" quick throw away line back in episode 2 or 3, but it never gets explained.

Episode 8 mentions something about him being a friend from Taiwan, but eh.
Sherringford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-01, 22:01   Link #691
Chron
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherringford View Post
We get a "I OWE MY LIFE TO YOU MASTER" quick throw away line back in episode 2 or 3, but it never gets explained.

Episode 8 mentions something about him being a friend from Taiwan, but eh.
Now if it were Thailand we'd have something to go on.
Chron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-01, 22:03   Link #692
LyricalAura
Dea ex Kakera
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Sea of Fragments
@witchfan: From EP4, we have:

Kanon is dead. Among the five people in Kyrie's group, he was the first to die. In short, he was the ninth victim.

So I think your argument to remove his life-or-death status from the cat box doesn't work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherringford
We get a "I OWE MY LIFE TO YOU MASTER" quick throw away line back in episode 2 or 3, but it never gets explained.

Episode 8 mentions something about him being a friend from Taiwan, but eh.
Huh, now that I think about it, wasn't there something early on about him meeting Genji during the war? Or am I conflating him with Nanjo?
__________________
"Something has fallen on us that falls very seldom on men; perhaps the worst thing that can fall on them. We have found the truth; and the truth makes no sense."
LyricalAura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-01, 22:05   Link #693
AuraTwilight
The True Culprit
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: The Golden Land
Send a message via AIM to AuraTwilight Send a message via MSN to AuraTwilight
Quote:
Maybe if we had any backstory information on Genji whatsoever we'd know what he means by any of this.

Hey remember that flashback Kinzo supposedly had where Nanjo confirmed meeting him and Beatrice? No Genji there. Must've shown up later. What happened? Oh well, guess it doesn't matter.
My theory is that since Furniture = can't satisfy love, that Genji has a hardcore gay crush on Kinzo.

Quote:
- I do not like that you can consider purely fictional characters dead or alive. This sounds too much like regular Shkannon, which I've been trying to avoid. I don't like red text saying "Kanon is dead" when he is a fictional character.
Eva is dead. Oh wait that death was purely fictional. Oops.

Quote:
- I want to reconcile the reds in the end of EP6 (I am the 18th visitor; there are 17 people even if we include you!) in a way that is more personally satisfying than some language game.
No one can claim Kanon than Kanon himself, so someone impersonating Kanon is impossible.

Quote:
I separate the games into two categories: Beatrice's games, and, well, games that aren't by Beatrice. The latter kind - games not by Beatrice - are assumed to have an error in them, quite possibly deliberate: they consider Kanon an actual person, and count him among the "17 humans on the island" (why is the error necessary? Perhaps it is meant as a roundabout hint). This much explains the paradox in the end of EP6 (Erika is discussing the games she exists in, while Battler and Beatrice are discussing the original games).
Now wait a minute; this is where I start to suspect hypocrisy. You're trying to build a theory that is deliberately built on the idea of characters in-universe being tremendously erroneous on a pretty critical point: But characters in a written narrative can't be mistaken about Shkanon being two people?

The rest is just stuff about Red Truth only being true for fictional contexts, which ironically supercedes your main argument against Kanon being a non-person.
__________________
When the Silent Spirits Cry: An Umineko/Silent Hill crossover fanfiction
http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost.php?p=4565173&postcount=531
AuraTwilight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-01, 22:42   Link #694
witchfan
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
@LyricalAura: I'm well aware of this red and I've yet to find a satisfying explanation of it (there are some if you permit language games). I will give this more thought in the future.

@AuraTwilight
Quote:
Eva is dead. Oh wait that death was purely fictional. Oops.
This is a good point, but not for the reason you think it is. Perhaps it's better to opt for a weaker requirement: red text cannot contradict the out-of-catbox past. I don't think this botches any other part of the theory.

Quote:
No one can claim Kanon than Kanon himself, so someone impersonating Kanon is impossible.
--
Now wait a minute; this is where I start to suspect hypocrisy. You're trying to build a theory that is deliberately built on the idea of characters in-universe being tremendously erroneous on a pretty critical point: But characters in a written narrative can't be mistaken about Shkanon being two people?

The rest is just stuff about Red Truth only being true for fictional contexts, which ironically supercedes your main argument against Kanon being a non-person.
I'm not sure if I was unclear somehow, or if you're deliberately misreading what I wrote.
witchfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-01, 22:44   Link #695
Sherringford
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalAura View Post
@witchfan: From EP4, we have:

Kanon is dead. Among the five people in Kyrie's group, he was the first to die. In short, he was the ninth victim.

So I think your argument to remove his life-or-death status from the cat box doesn't work.



Huh, now that I think about it, wasn't there something early on about him meeting Genji during the war? Or am I conflating him with Nanjo?
I think you are confusing canon with Will's explanation of Genji over at Golden Gameboard for that one forgery.
Sherringford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-01, 22:50   Link #696
LyricalAura
Dea ex Kakera
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Sea of Fragments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherringford View Post
I think you are confusing canon with Will's explanation of Genji over at Golden Gameboard for that one forgery.
There is no way anyone could read that sequence and then confuse it with something else.
__________________
"Something has fallen on us that falls very seldom on men; perhaps the worst thing that can fall on them. We have found the truth; and the truth makes no sense."
LyricalAura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-01, 22:55   Link #697
AuraTwilight
The True Culprit
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: The Golden Land
Send a message via AIM to AuraTwilight Send a message via MSN to AuraTwilight
Quote:
This is a good point, but not for the reason you think it is. Perhaps it's better to opt for a weaker requirement: red text cannot contradict the out-of-catbox past. I don't think this botches any other part of the theory.
But Eva survived. Her life and death status IS NOT a catbox. She lives, and so any red about her dying cannot be objectively true, proving that the Red Text only has contextual basis for fictional narratives.

With this, your entire argument against Kanon's imaginary existence falls to shambles unless you revise it.

Quote:
I'm not sure if I was unclear somehow, or if you're deliberately misreading what I wrote.
There is literally a Red Truth statement that completely and utterly destroys your supposition that Kanon was a living person who died and then impersonated or adopted as a fictional existence by Yasu. Revise your idea.
__________________
When the Silent Spirits Cry: An Umineko/Silent Hill crossover fanfiction
http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost.php?p=4565173&postcount=531
AuraTwilight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-01, 23:22   Link #698
Sherringford
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalAura View Post
There is no way anyone could read that sequence and then confuse it with something else.
Child soldier Genji was something else.
Sherringford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-02, 09:05   Link #699
witchfan
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Quote:
Now wait a minute; this is where I start to suspect hypocrisy. You're trying to build a theory that is deliberately built on the idea of characters in-universe being tremendously erroneous on a pretty critical point: But characters in a written narrative can't be mistaken about Shkanon being two people?
"quite possibly deliberate". I say it right there in the text you quoted.

Quote:
But Eva survived. Her life and death status IS NOT a catbox. She lives, and so any red about her dying cannot be objectively true, proving that the Red Text only has contextual basis for fictional narratives.

With this, your entire argument against Kanon's imaginary existence falls to shambles unless you revise it.
Read what you quote. I am not saying red text has to be objectively true, I opted to say it has to be objectively true to (that is, possible when accounting for) the past. Unfortunately, this is where I'm being the most sketchy, as you need to be somewhat liberal when interpreting certain reds (but hey, I haven't seen a theory where this wasn't true yet). I still need to check if this holds, though.

Quote:
There is literally a Red Truth statement that completely and utterly destroys your supposition that Kanon was a living person who died and then impersonated or adopted as a fictional existence by Yasu. Revise your idea.
No, stop being stupid. Whatever fictional Kanon symbolises outside the story, inside the story he is Kanon. Kanon is not different than any other character in the stories in that regard. The only thing I am doing is attributing Kanon a different meaning outside the gameboard. (This is not, mind, the same as Shkannon. For example, I do not assume Shannon and Kanon are interchangeable, or that they are somehow one entity).
witchfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-02, 12:02   Link #700
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuraTwilight View Post
My theory is that since Furniture = can't satisfy love, that Genji has a hardcore gay crush on Kinzo.
Much as I love this, there's no proof for it, as there's really nothing about Genji at all. I'm fairly sure he actually existed though, as Ange remembers him.
Quote:
Eva is dead. Oh wait that death was purely fictional. Oops.
Oh wait, you will not find that line anywhere in Umineko. Oops.

The only time Eva is even remotely associated with being "dead in red" is in ep2 and ep6's First Twilights, where she is never actually specifically named.

Matter of fact, the only red we ever get about Eva's life-death status specifically and solely is Eva is alive in ep3. Granted, that doesn't mean she couldn't be declared dead in red within a story, or that some other tomfoolery (such as the Battler is dead/Battler is alive dichotomy) couldn't get around it.

But at no point does anybody come right out and say "Oh yeah, Eva is dead."
__________________
Redaction of the Golden Witch
I submit that a murder was committed in 1996.
This murder was a "copycat" crime inspired by our tales of 1986.
This story is a redacted confession.

Blog (VN DL) - YouTube Playlists
Battler Solves The Logic Error

Last edited by Renall; 2011-02-02 at 12:56.
Renall is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:56.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.