AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Umineko

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2011-02-08, 21:45   Link #801
Chron
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renall View Post
Actually it is unfair, that's why it's not actually legal (in America). Not that the trial wasn't clearly for show to begin with; that seems to have been the point of the first part. But Battler basically winning through equally unfair means sort of destroys his moral authority.
Hahaha.

Moral authority. In modern fiction of all things?
Chron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-08, 23:04   Link #802
rogerpepitone
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Send a message via Yahoo to rogerpepitone
To win the trial, Battler only had to produce one explanation, consistent with the facts, that didn't involve her guilt. He did that without the golden truth. Even ignoring the "Battler is MF19YA" claim, the "They were killed after Battler screamed." possibility invalidates all the alibis.

(Also, there's either a translation error, or a hole in Erika's logic; she claims "It's only possible for the crime to have taken place between 24:00 and 1:00!! During that one hour, you were in the dining hall of the mansion!! Therefore, it was impossible for you to commit the crime!" since Rosa was definitely alive at 1:00 AM.)
rogerpepitone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-09, 00:08   Link #803
LyricalAura
Dea ex Kakera
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Sea of Fragments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renall View Post
So his finishing strike was "Cuz." Okay, well, that's certainly worthy of an epic finale!
I thought it was quite clear by EP6 that the finishing strike was "no evidence => (subjective == objective), so you'll take my testimony and like it." Which is pretty much how the entire catbox setup works, so it demonstrates his understanding perfectly.
__________________
"Something has fallen on us that falls very seldom on men; perhaps the worst thing that can fall on them. We have found the truth; and the truth makes no sense."
LyricalAura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-09, 00:18   Link #804
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalAura View Post
I thought it was quite clear by EP6 that the finishing strike was "no evidence => (subjective == objective), so you'll take my testimony and like it." Which is pretty much how the entire catbox setup works, so it demonstrates his understanding perfectly.
I'm not saying it doesn't match the themes he's trying to convey, I'm saying those themes are pretty anticlimactic and stupid when put up in the "Let's have a LOGIC BATTLE!" format he'd been using the whole time.
__________________
Redaction of the Golden Witch
I submit that a murder was committed in 1996.
This murder was a "copycat" crime inspired by our tales of 1986.
This story is a redacted confession.

Blog (VN DL) - YouTube Playlists
Battler Solves The Logic Error
Renall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-09, 00:22   Link #805
Kylon99
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Meta-Meta-Meta-Space
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renall View Post
Actually it is unfair, that's why it's not actually legal (in America). Not that the trial wasn't clearly for show to begin with; that seems to have been the point of the first part. But Battler basically winning through equally unfair means sort of destroys his moral authority.
The scene opens up in a 'church' that's not a church, presided over by LD and Bern... and then that awesome evil sounding music kinda spoke to it all, didn't it?

I did an, "OH SHI-" moment there...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdSb6U-gN3U <-- 喰那 this music.


Actually, just because he used Gold doesn't mean that he lied or anything. After all it's shown now that Gold is consensus opinion. Consensus opinion can be correct or can be incorrect. It just happens that this consensus is correct...

By the way, the question seems to be, just whose consensus opinion is it that dictates the gold? It seems to be something like 'all observing parties, but no more' if EP6's gold is taken into account. But then, who are the observers for EP8?
Kylon99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-09, 00:55   Link #806
Judoh
Mystery buff
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Gone Fishin!
Funny how every individual episode thread brings us back to episode 5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renall View Post
I'm saying those themes are pretty anticlimactic and stupid when put up in the "Let's have a LOGIC BATTLE!" format he'd been using the whole time.
You only get this anticlimactic feeling if you mesh the story as a whole together I think. At the time episode 5 was written that shit was awesome. Not just because of "woah there's a new colored truth what's it do?" I knew about that before hand. On the first read I read episode 5 from beginning to end in one weekend. So for me every little thing built up to the tea party. And when I finally got there it felt like I had temporarily achieved spiritual enlightenment just watching Battler or something.

The catbox analogy was always stupid the way Ryukishi used it. Because he's not using it right.

Quote:
Consensus opinion can be correct or can be incorrect. It just happens that this consensus is correct...
Exactly.
Judoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-09, 00:57   Link #807
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
He didn't "lie" or "cheat" as such, but he basically extricated himself from a situation in which Erika and Bern were trying to push a solution through - regardless of its truth value - by issuing a "this is how it's gonna go" edict.

There's a certain hypocrisy in that. "I don't like you using misleading evidence to frame someone, but rather than bother using my conveniently newfound realizations to dazzle you at your own game without actually giving away Beatrice's heart, I'll beat you by declaring myself the winner."

Then next episode Erika tries to win by basically cheating again and Beatrice wins by cheating back. Okay, poetic justice, whatever, I kind of get that. But Will managed to play fair; why can't Battler in what is supposed to be his moment of apotheosis? Ryukishi couldn't think of anything as respectable as Will's solution battle?

Basically my problem is twofold:
  • That he had to invent the gold in the first place to get Battler out of the corner he'd written him into. It makes me think he didn't really know where else to go to finish out ep5.
  • That he intentionally strung us along with it for about a year, which makes me think he was hoping we'd forget about it by then.
Well I didn't forget, and it bothers the hell out of me in retrospect.
__________________
Redaction of the Golden Witch
I submit that a murder was committed in 1996.
This murder was a "copycat" crime inspired by our tales of 1986.
This story is a redacted confession.

Blog (VN DL) - YouTube Playlists
Battler Solves The Logic Error
Renall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-09, 03:02   Link #808
Kylon99
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Meta-Meta-Meta-Space
Well for one thing it's not that Battler slammed on some kind of "I Win" button, but he used the gold to put to rest something that we, the meta world and the game board were given clues about since EP1, specifically about the polydactyly. Saying it's "I'll beat you by declaring myself the winner," seems not more like a hyperbole.

And more importantly, I think we could've been expected to see three different colors of text since it corresponded to the three different witches' power and the three different 'colors' of them that are always mentioned. Since these colors were mentioned and shown since EP1, and the red/blue text started appearing in EP2 and 4, it's not likely he only thought gold up right at EP5. That wouldn't fit. It might be more likely that he didn't know when or how he would have to use the gold until that moment. But it seemed like, from Bernkastel's Letter TIPS at least he had an inkling of how Beatrice's power worked anyways, about her hiding herself where the truth isn't known.


By the way, I wonder if we keep going back to EP5 because that was when he started giving us answers. First Twilight Fakery, and this scene we're talking about. It was because Battler showed that red texts can extend throughout all games that I was able to (much later, unfortunately) finally make a coherent Author Theory...
Kylon99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-09, 03:44   Link #809
Judoh
Mystery buff
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Gone Fishin!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renall View Post
There's a certain hypocrisy in that. "I don't like you using misleading evidence to frame someone, but rather than bother using my conveniently newfound realizations to dazzle you at your own game without actually giving away Beatrice's heart, I'll beat you by declaring myself the winner."
He didn't declare himself the winner though. He used the gold to deny a theory about moving the bodies that had no basis in fact anyway. Then he declared a stalemate, while introducing an entirely new theme into the story that basically says that 'multiple truths can exist at the same time'. He didn't really win. He just made it so that Erika didn't win.

Quote:
That he had to invent the gold in the first place to get Battler out of the corner he'd written him into. It makes me think he didn't really know where else to go to finish out ep5.
What if he planned to use the golden truth to reveal that Kinzo was dead? He did say that he originally planned to reveal that in episode 5 instead of in episode 4.
Judoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-09, 04:02   Link #810
cmos
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Quote:
Will managed to play fair
I wonder how Will would have played in Erika's place without this convenient Theatergoing authority, that makes those stubborn Ushiromiyas spill the beans without torturing them with false accusations first.
cmos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-09, 04:16   Link #811
AuraTwilight
The True Culprit
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: The Golden Land
Send a message via AIM to AuraTwilight Send a message via MSN to AuraTwilight
Probably exactly the same. He did perfectly fine getting Rosa to talk without any supernatural coercion because, well, HE'S NOT A DICK AND HE'S COMPETENT AT HIS JOB.

The Theatregoing Authority seems like it's supposed to get details without having to worry about narrative concerns, like getting people to talk about Beatrice even though he's in a world where she doesn't exist.
__________________
When the Silent Spirits Cry: An Umineko/Silent Hill crossover fanfiction
http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost.php?p=4565173&postcount=531
AuraTwilight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-09, 04:59   Link #812
Sherringford
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmos View Post
I wonder how Will would have played in Erika's place without this convenient Theatergoing authority, that makes those stubborn Ushiromiyas spill the beans without torturing them with false accusations first.
The theatergoing doesn't make the Ushiromiyas spill anything. It just allows them to talk about other fragments as well.

Rosa spilled her story without him saying anything, Jessica spilled her story because he accidentally James Bonded her, Kinzo spilled his story because he wanted SOMEONE to listen and Will played the kind stranger part that Poirot did at times(and that Erika couldn't play if her life depended on it).

Also, if he wanted to cheat like Erika he could dismantle Beato's board with Van Dine quite easily. But he wasn't a dick, so he didn't use the rules that could have destroyed the board(which ended up costing him an arm).
Sherringford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-09, 07:31   Link #813
cmos
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherringford View Post
The theatergoing doesn't make the Ushiromiyas spill anything. It just allows them to talk about other fragments as well.
Except it does.
Will: I hate theatergoing just as much as I hate torture.
Why would he hate something such innocent, like you say?
Will: If you don't call him, I'm going to use my authority.
Shannon already has memory of her other world, there's no need to allow her anything. This authority clearly would have made her to obey.


Quote:
Also, if he wanted to cheat like Erika he could dismantle Beato's board with Van Dine quite easily.
He can't use his rules where they don't apply. Rules must be stated in red, and you can't say false red in the context of a particular gameboard.
cmos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-09, 11:14   Link #814
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmos View Post
Except it does.
Will: I hate theatergoing just as much as I hate torture.
Why would he hate something such innocent, like you say?
Will: If you don't call him, I'm going to use my authority.
Shannon already has memory of her other world, there's no need to allow her anything. This authority clearly would have made her to obey.
Will was losing his patience because he was being messed with. He was specifically instructed to question people and use the authority if he needed/wanted to. He didn't particularly like it, and even used it accidentally once, but there's no particular indication that its use is traumatic. I think it's more Will found it too convenient and potentially problematic.

Then Shannon starts BSODing on him when he engages in a perfectly reasonable line of inquiry. I don't really see the unfairness in making a threat to encourage fair play; it actually reminds me of something from Asimov's The Caves of Steel.
Spoiler for Asimov:
I can see Will doing the same with the threat of the authority without necessarily forcefully using it. I mean if he wanted to use it he could have just jumped someone unawares. I got the sense it was more of a "Stop messing around, Bern or whoever is behind this, I'm just asking a question" thing from him.
__________________
Redaction of the Golden Witch
I submit that a murder was committed in 1996.
This murder was a "copycat" crime inspired by our tales of 1986.
This story is a redacted confession.

Blog (VN DL) - YouTube Playlists
Battler Solves The Logic Error
Renall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-09, 11:17   Link #815
Sherringford
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmos View Post
He can't use his rules where they don't apply. Rules must be stated in red, and you can't say false red in the context of a particular gameboard.
Even after rules were said in red, even Dlanor wasn't sure if Knox applied to Beato's gameboard. The rules can be stated in red.

Moreover, if a rule couldn't be used in a gameboard where they didn't apply, then executing witches for their "sins" wouldn't make any sense.

The only way they get to kill any witch at all is if they get to use their rules anywhere.

If they could only use their rules on a gameboard compatible with them, then it would be physically impossible for them to ever "kill those who break the commandments" as the commandments would never be broken.

Therefore, they HAVE to be able to use them. That's sort of their thing. "You don't fit within our definition of a mystery, you must die."

It's not they who have to only use their rules on mysteries that can support them. It's the gameboards that have to support them.

Quote:
Will: I hate theatergoing just as much as I hate torture.
Why would he hate something such innocent, like you say?
Because it makes a show out of people, which is something he generally doesn't like. As for the Shkanon scene, the way I saw it is like this.

Will already understood Shkanon by that point and was going to use the authority to make Shannon become Kanon to interrogate him/her.
...Although really, that scene is still stupid no matter what interpretation you use. It could force them to speak if you really want it to, but that doesn't change much.
Sherringford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-09, 14:26   Link #816
Leafsnail
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renall View Post
Battler had a stronger burden for the first foray.

Besides, in a real trial, you're not supposed to be hiding evidence. Battler and Erika should've had the same facts.
You could say it reflects the rather schizophrenic burden of proof in some mystery novels. I mean, how many mystery novels have you read where the evidence unearthed would actually stand in a court of law?
Leafsnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-09, 14:34   Link #817
Sherringford
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafsnail View Post
You could say it reflects the rather schizophrenic burden of proof in some mystery novels. I mean, how many mystery novels have you read where the evidence unearthed would actually stand in a court of law?
More often than not, mystery novels deal with evidence realistically. Benson Murder case even had the criminal getting away with second degree murder until the prosecution appealed.

They just settle with "criminal commits suicide/confesses" to make the legal loose ends meet.
Sherringford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-09, 15:28   Link #818
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
This is a really interesting idea for a "mystery" series. Famous detective has cracked the case, but can a prosecutor convince a jury that this crazy scenario really happened, and convince the judge that his parlor room confession wasn't made under duress?
__________________
Redaction of the Golden Witch
I submit that a murder was committed in 1996.
This murder was a "copycat" crime inspired by our tales of 1986.
This story is a redacted confession.

Blog (VN DL) - YouTube Playlists
Battler Solves The Logic Error
Renall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-09, 15:34   Link #819
Sherringford
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renall View Post
This is a really interesting idea for a "mystery" series. Famous detective has cracked the case, but can a prosecutor convince a jury that this crazy scenario really happened, and convince the judge that his parlor room confession wasn't made under duress?
That happened at least once in Monk, I think.
Sherringford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-09, 19:57   Link #820
Chron
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherringford View Post
That happened at least once in Monk, I think.
Great show.
Chron is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:34.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.