AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Suggestions

Notices

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2011-01-04, 01:47   Link #1
ZoboCamel
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Australia
Age: 19
Question Starting FMA: Original or Brotherhood?

I've been hearing a lot of good stuff over the past year about the Full Metal Alchemist, and I'm wanting to try it out. However, one thing I don't know much about is where to start from; should I watch the original series first, and then Brotherhood, or just watch Brotherhood? I'm aware it's a remake, and that things have been changed - I don't know what or how much was changed, however, and which is generally considered better.

By the way - I'm aware that the endings of each are different, but not much else. Please keep any recommendations spoiler-free. Any tips are appreciated, and thanks in advance.
ZoboCamel is offline  
Old 2011-01-04, 02:11   Link #2
jedinat
フリーター
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Age: 28
I would just watch Brotherhood if I were you. The original has a strong beginning and such... but things really fall apart in the end, as it aired before the manga was completed and thus went off in weird and crappy directions... Brotherhood follows the manga and is much stronger than the original when the plot diverges after 20-something episodes. The big difference in regards to the earlier portions of the story is that the original takes more time to develop things, if I remember correctly... leaving elements of the story shrouded in mystery whereas the remake, like the manga, reveals those elements of the plot early on... but, yeah, Brotherhood is overall a much better work I think, though I have yet to finish it, lol... been taking my time. Bear in mind that the first episode is just filler for some reason... you might even skip it.
jedinat is offline  
Old 2011-01-04, 04:21   Link #3
ZoboCamel
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Australia
Age: 19
Will do. Thanks for the help.
ZoboCamel is offline  
Old 2011-01-04, 05:17   Link #4
Kafriel
Senior Guest
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Athens (GMT+2)
Age: 25
I'd suggest watching the original first. It's a great work despite being inferior to brotherhood later on. Still, watching it first and then switching to FMA:B will make you appreciate both of them. Just bear in mind that if you go for the original adaptation first, you can skip some ~8 episodes of FMA:B as they are pretty much the same as the original, but with worse pacing imo.
__________________
Kafriel is offline  
Old 2011-01-04, 06:30   Link #5
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: United Kingdom
Age: 25
Like Kafriel, I'd suggest that you start with the first anime, if only because it handles the earlier parts of the story (especially the drama and emotional attachment and impact) better than Brotherhood does, though at the end of the day it doesn't really matter which one you start with first. While I don't really consider one better than the other (both adaptations have their strengths and faults) but you should know the two are, in essence, very different shows. Brotherhood is is more optimistic than the first anime (but that doesn't stop from being any darker) and has pacing problems that don't get sorted until around the 20's episodes. The first anime like I mentioned, is better at the drama, but at times will fall into being waaay too melodramatic at times, and ends up dragging out some stories lines (or bringing out ones that don't really make since). The take on characters (and which ones) is also different, as the first anime has them being much harsher (and throw at them many heartbreaking moment), while Brotherhood's are more outgoing (and do more awesome stuff at the end).

Personally, I'd say the manga is really the best version of the 3 in handling all of it themes, but there is no problem starting with anyone of them.
__________________
Arabesque is offline  
Old 2011-01-04, 07:39   Link #6
ZoboCamel
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Australia
Age: 19
I've started Brotherhood first, simply because I thought it would be more readily available due to being newer (the 10kb/s downloads have since proven me wrong, but I've started on it, so I may as well finish. :P)

I was planning on only watching Brotherhood if I started with that, but it seems I may need to watch the original as well; I get pulled in easily by melodrama.

Thanks again for the advice.
ZoboCamel is offline  
Old 2011-01-04, 07:58   Link #7
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: England, UK
Age: 28
There's going to be a lot of different opinions in this thread. Mine would be skipping the first series, because it's not really needed. I can just be watched after Brotherhood if you fancy anything more from the characters and setting.

You don't need to watch the original, just remember that.

Like Arabesque, i'd agree that the manga is the best out of the three. It can be watched before or after Brotherhood, just as long as you do experience it.
__________________
Shiroth is offline  
Old 2011-01-04, 08:10   Link #8
Asterisk
Irregularity
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
The Brotherhood series is superior to the original, not a fact, but a high majority agree, so its basically fact.

You're better off watching the newer series as a whole rather than spoiling yourself by watching its counterpart first.
Asterisk is offline  
Old 2011-01-04, 08:30   Link #9
Tsuyukusa
King of Carrot Flowers
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New Jersey
Age: 22
I thought Brotherhood was a tad better, but you can't go wrong with either one.
Tsuyukusa is offline  
Old 2011-01-04, 08:51   Link #10
Kuroi Hadou
Dark Energy
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: United States
Send a message via AIM to Kuroi Hadou Send a message via Skype™ to Kuroi Hadou
My suggestion would be to watch the first twenty-five episodes of the 2003 anime, then watch Brotherhood from episode 11 onwards.
__________________
Kuroi Hadou is offline  
Old 2011-01-04, 10:28   Link #11
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: England, UK
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroi Hadou View Post
My suggestion would be to watch the first twenty-five episodes of the 2003 anime, then watch Brotherhood from episode 11 onwards.
I'd disagree with that, especially with the changes of composer and voice actors coming into play. Not to mention the pacing, with the original series having a lot of filler, and Brotherhood just getting to the point with the manga material.
__________________
Shiroth is offline  
Old 2011-01-04, 10:34   Link #12
Kuroi Hadou
Dark Energy
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: United States
Send a message via AIM to Kuroi Hadou Send a message via Skype™ to Kuroi Hadou
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
I'd disagree with that, especially with the changes of composer and voice actors coming into play. Not to mention the pacing, with the original series having a lot of filler, and Brotherhood just getting to the point with the manga material.
The first two are pretty easy to get over; the pacing... well let's face it: Brotherhood deliberately sped through those episodes because the original put so much time into it. A lot of stuff from the early manga was left out of Brotherhood.
__________________
Kuroi Hadou is offline  
Old 2011-01-04, 10:57   Link #13
qwertyuiopz
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
original had better music
qwertyuiopz is offline  
Old 2011-01-04, 11:14   Link #14
Kuroi Hadou
Dark Energy
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: United States
Send a message via AIM to Kuroi Hadou Send a message via Skype™ to Kuroi Hadou
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertyuiopz View Post
original had better music
Let's not go there.
__________________
Kuroi Hadou is offline  
Old 2011-01-04, 11:16   Link #15
kitten320
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Age: 24
Brotherhood is good but if talk about drama impact then for me original series did better... a lot of homonculus got some kind of backstory there but it also is because the series are changed. For example if you will like Lust in Brotherhood, then original series are a must because they explore her character a lot.
Original series also have better introduction, as everyone mentioned above Brotherhood just rushed through it and it really threw me off at first. I couldn't get attached to the series because of how rushed it was there. There are several other characters who get more screentime and action.
However, I won' lie... Brotherhood had offered a lot of epic moments for those charcaters that were missed out in first season and Brotherhood has also several new and cool characters.
Over all both series are good but original series are less comedic and more tragedic. Same scenes in both seasons were handled differently.
The best example would be the scene with Riza and Roy under the rain somewhere in the beginig of the series, when you'll get to that part in both seasons, you will understand.

So yeh, I recommend you to go for both. If not for alternative story then at least for a good, detailed and not rushed begining that will make you care more.

Since you started the series, I guess you had seen episode 2 already but if no then miss this spoiler tag for now.

Spoiler for SPOILER, not dramaticly huge but still!:


Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroi Hadou View Post
Let's not go there.
I really missed the Brothers song in Brotherhood =/
__________________
kitten320 is offline  
Old 2011-01-04, 11:19   Link #16
Kuroi Hadou
Dark Energy
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: United States
Send a message via AIM to Kuroi Hadou Send a message via Skype™ to Kuroi Hadou
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320 View Post
I really missed the Brothers song in Brotherhood =/
Oh I did to, but I think, overall, Brotherhood had a better soundtrack.
__________________
Kuroi Hadou is offline  
Old 2011-01-04, 12:13   Link #17
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Kagurazaka, Tokyo
Interesting question.

I would go with Brotherhood, and then watch the original series after as a sort of "Director's Cut" of the first half of the series. Brotherhood offers a complete start-to-finish take of the entire story arc that's more or less manga-faithful, and I think you're best off watching that unspoiled by anything else. Once that's done, you can watch TOS as it does provide a lot more detail on some of the early stuff, and see for yourself what you think of the direction they took things once they branched off.
Guardian Enzo is offline  
Old 2011-01-04, 13:06   Link #18
tyranuus
Team Spice and Wolf UK
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: England
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320 View Post
Spoiler for SPOILER, not dramaticly huge but still!:
What you say there does surprise me. I've not watched Brotherhood, and not seen the original for probably a good 4 years or so, but I can't believe they'd miss out/gloss over something so important

I don't want to give too much away, but that whole section was kinda crucial to how Alphonse and Edward became the way they were
Spoiler:


If they did indeed miss this out, I may end up watching some of the original series again before watching FMA:B.
__________________
Total Anime watched= Enough. What can I say? I'm a convert...
***
PRAY FOR SPICE AND WOLF III and faster Yenpress novel releases!
Reading: Rosario and Vampire II, Sankarea
tyranuus is offline  
Old 2011-01-04, 13:27   Link #19
kitten320
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Age: 24
Yep, the whole issue took in Brotherhood 1 minute, I just checked.

Spoiler for you knwo what is there:


So just for that reason, season 1 has to be watched.
__________________
kitten320 is offline  
Old 2011-01-04, 14:04   Link #20
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: England, UK
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I would go with Brotherhood, and then watch the original series after as a sort of "Director's Cut" of the first half of the series.
& the second half is fan fiction, right?
__________________
Shiroth is offline  
Closed Thread

Tags
brotherhood, fma, fma: b, full metal alchemist, remake

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 16:50.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.