AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Suggestions

Notices

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2011-01-04, 14:46   Link #21
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Kagurazaka, Tokyo
Some fan fiction can be highly entertaining. Just look at the new "Eva" films.
Guardian Enzo is offline  
Old 2011-01-04, 15:20   Link #22
qwertyuiopz
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Some fan fiction can be highly entertaining. Just look at the new "Eva" films.
clannad alternate endings too
qwertyuiopz is offline  
Old 2011-01-04, 15:44   Link #23
Kafriel
Senior Guest
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Athens (GMT+2)
Age: 25
I think you can start watching either one of them, BUT if you plan on watching both, you will have to backtrack a lot, because the plot route takes a 180 turn when it comes to the main story. As far as that one goes, it is my opinion that FMA:B explains and develops certain characters in a near-perfect way, and because these characters are also present in the original adaptation, you might be put off by their original interpretation after having seen their roles and character in FMA:B.
Quote:
I don't know what or how much was changed
Enough to become a different show, really...
__________________
Kafriel is offline  
Old 2011-01-04, 17:58   Link #24
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...
 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: At your house fixing A/C
FMA: B and forget about the original (though it is very good imo), FMA: B is faster pace and to the point, speaking from the guy who dislikes fillers.
kk2extreme is offline  
Old 2011-01-04, 17:59   Link #25
kitten320
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Age: 24
Would actually be good to hear your opinion about changes if you do watch both seasons.

There aren't that many fillers... it actually gives more deph and better idea on what brothers were actually doing while Brotherhood simply skiped it and left a huge mess in first like 10 episodes. I actually had to wait until there would be more episodes so I could finally watch it all and get to good parts without any more eyesore.
__________________
kitten320 is offline  
Old 2011-01-04, 18:12   Link #26
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: England, UK
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Some fan fiction can be highly entertaining. Just look at the new "Eva" films.
I never said fan fiction was bad, though it's just the best way to some up the second half of the original series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320 View Post
There aren't that many fillers... it actually gives more deph and better idea on what brothers were actually doing while Brotherhood simply skiped it and left a huge mess in first like 10 episodes. I actually had to wait until there would be more episodes so I could finally watch it all and get to good parts without any more eyesore.
It didn't skip much at all, like a few chapters at that. What was mostly in the first 25 episodes of the original series was anime original material, or adapted from the novels.
__________________
Shiroth is offline  
Old 2011-01-04, 18:15   Link #27
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...
 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: At your house fixing A/C
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320 View Post
Would actually be good to hear your opinion about changes if you do watch both seasons.

There aren't that many fillers... it actually gives more deph and better idea on what brothers were actually doing while Brotherhood simply skiped it and left a huge mess in first like 10 episodes. I actually had to wait until there would be more episodes so I could finally watch it all and get to good parts without any more eyesore.
I agree with Brotherhood is rushing in the beginning, I would say a few more episoles (3-5 more) are needed to explain the whole background stories and stuffs, but the original has entire episoles for something that is irrelevant to the story. Brotherhood move the plot from point to point rather efficiently and stay on the main plot the entire time. The original is good, Brotherhood is just more efficient at execution. And the remake ending is much better than the anime original

Last edited by kk2extreme; 2011-01-04 at 18:25.
kk2extreme is offline  
Old 2011-01-04, 18:18   Link #28
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Kagurazaka, Tokyo
In my view - YMMV - Brotherhood does enough with the early material to make the entire series work. If you're not a manga reader who knows what they're missing, I think Brotherhood gives you enough to work totally as a stand-alone. That's why I'd go back and watch the original (or read the manga) after watching Brotherhood to the end.
Guardian Enzo is offline  
Old 2011-01-04, 20:55   Link #29
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Age: 35
Now I'm going to give you some different advice.

I suggest you watch the following episodes from the original:

1 to 3, and 5 to 9. Maybe also 13 to 19 if you are willing to (which about when the Bortherhood plot and the original anime plot begin to have a major divergence). Not for the plot, mainly just to get to know the characters.

Then watch Brotherhood from the beginning.

The Original anime had better early characterization. But Brotherhood has far better plot and later characterization is also better. This is because Brotherhood follows the manga almost exactly.
__________________

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline  
Old 2011-01-04, 22:37   Link #30
Proto
Knowledge is the solution
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: U. of Pittsburgh, Previously in Mexico City.
Age: 30
Quote:
You don't need to watch the original, just remember that.
You don't need to watch Brotherhood either. Or animesuki. Or anime in general. Heck, why life?


...

That said, watch both.
Proto is offline  
Old 2011-01-04, 22:54   Link #31
wingdarkness
Retweet Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: ニュー・オーリンズ、LA
As these replies have shown, just keep in mind there are many who find the first series just as good as Brotherhood...I personally found the ending in the first series more symbolic of the journey, by the end of Brotherhood I was completely burned out by how epic everything was...It was literally so epic that I popped my wad 2-3 eps before the series concluded...The first series also focuses on characters that Brotherhood tosses to the wayside too early and in some cases unwisely...

I'd say the first incarnation does the comedy a little better, has more subtle characterizations, and a stronger overall focus because of the smaller cast, but Brotherhood has some of the most epic episodes of anime individually it's hard not to slobber over some of them (I'm looking at you little dude in the flask origin ep)...The cast is bloated but I gotta say, B'Hood might have the best collection of antagonist//villain characters in shonen, and the action sequences with said characters are revved up a bit with 2010's animation...

So I don't really think it matters which one you start first, you're bound to lean toward the one that captured you're heart initially, but they are both great series IMO with each having strong yet contrasting qualities...
__________________
Fly since ...
wingdarkness is offline  
Old 2011-01-05, 10:08   Link #32
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: England, UK
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
You don't need to watch Brotherhood either. Or animesuki. Or anime in general. Heck, why life?


...

That said, watch both.
Now that's one uncalled for post, wouldn't you say? I only said it the original doesn't have to be watched because the OP said "I was planning on only watching Brotherhood if I started with that, but it seems I may need to watch the original as well; I get pulled in easily by melodrama."
__________________
Shiroth is offline  
Old 2011-01-05, 10:19   Link #33
ninryu
It's yuri, bitches
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Israel
Age: 19
you should watch the first anime first. in the start Brotherhood is very fast paced assuming the watchers already saw the first anime.
__________________
ninryu is offline  
Old 2011-01-05, 11:03   Link #34
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: England, UK
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninryu View Post
you should watch the first anime first. in the start Brotherhood is very fast paced assuming the watchers already saw the first anime.
It's nothing of the sort. People only say that because there was a first series, though if there wasn't, no complaints about the pacing would be made at all unless you are a manga reader, and that's only because a few chapters were missed. The pacing is easily sorted boy episode 10/11.
__________________
Shiroth is offline  
Old 2011-01-05, 11:18   Link #35
Proto
Knowledge is the solution
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: U. of Pittsburgh, Previously in Mexico City.
Age: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Now that's one uncalled for post, wouldn't you say? I only said it the original doesn't have to be watched because the OP said "I was planning on only watching Brotherhood if I started with that, but it seems I may need to watch the original as well; I get pulled in easily by melodrama."
Yes it was. Sorry, I was going through a 102F fever last night. Apparently it's almost as bad as being drunk, but with a headache and a horrible mood.
Proto is offline  
Old 2011-01-05, 12:39   Link #36
tyranuus
Team Spice and Wolf UK
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: England
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
It's nothing of the sort. People only say that because there was a first series, though if there wasn't, no complaints about the pacing would be made at all unless you are a manga reader, and that's only because a few chapters were missed. The pacing is easily sorted boy episode 10/11.
To be fair though, if FMA:B skips a lot of the 'past' perhaps it's not necessary, its still missing out a chunk of story that IS important in the scheme of things in terms of character development, as it explains thier motivations and how they came to be to a much more complete level than '**** happened...now we need to fix it'.
__________________
Total Anime watched= Enough. What can I say? I'm a convert...
***
PRAY FOR SPICE AND WOLF III and faster Yenpress novel releases!
Reading: Rosario and Vampire II, Sankarea
tyranuus is offline  
Old 2011-01-05, 12:40   Link #37
White Manju Bun
WHY DOESNT SEMPAI LIKE ME
*Author
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Shibuya Psychic Research
This is going dreadfully off topic...and why are we posting spoilers in a thread where the person hasnt watched said series yet???

Thread closed, hopefully the opener got the information they needed...
__________________
Archer - F/SNManju's Stuff
"I will always remember
when the Doctor was me."
- 11th Doctor.
White Manju Bun is offline  
Closed Thread

Tags
brotherhood, fma, fma: b, full metal alchemist, remake

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:41.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.