AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2011-04-03, 13:08   Link #221
Midonin
Last Engage
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Florida
I can't help but feel that the title of the first episode is one kanji away from ringing very familiar.

The mecha shoutouts are still there. An artist can never totally escape their style.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-03, 13:15   Link #222
blitz1/2
Tenshi's Defense Squadron
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Fighting against those who oppress the system
To me, dog days can easily be summarised like this.

Dog days = Nanoha art + ZnT + Dynasty warriors game play system. + (animal ears if you consider that a separate component)
__________________

hai, hai. Onii-chan has his work cut out for him.
blitz1/2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-03, 13:16   Link #223
Irisiel
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
I predict that the hero will do well in the next episode, only to be faced with Leonmichelle and they do battle. Leonmichelle then cuts Shinku (only a little bit) and everyone freaks out when he bleeds instead of turning into a blob, as injuries are against the rules (Leonmichelle also loses this battle for breaking the rules). Meanwhile Shinku will wonder why everyone is freaking out about a tiny, minuscule scratch, only to be whisked away to the healers, and then has to flee as the medics want to help the blood coagulate (you know what I mean), he accidentally grabs the dagger and makes a run for it only to end up back in his world, thinking it only to be a dream. The episode either ends there or he ends up being summoned back together with his classmate.

Though I wouldn't be too averse to having two consecutive stories, with a plain harem and a reverse harem. Pandering to both fanbases would certainly be original, and could potentially double the watchers.
__________________
Irisiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-03, 13:39   Link #224
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Canada
Age: 27
Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Well not a bad start. Did a nice job with the serious feel until war became an athletics competition . At least it makes more sense why this guy was chosen to take part as a hero. It really is up with his skillset.
__________________
FlareKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-03, 13:43   Link #225
RiderLeangle
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Seems like it's going to be a fun little show for what it is, but I don't have anything much to say, I just wanted to point out I couldn't help but notice this
http://www.majhost.com/gallery/manal...dayssasuke.jpg

Although most of you don't get the reference do you?...
RiderLeangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-03, 14:10   Link #226
Fawx9
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Is it just me or is there a chance they just cut the childhood friend line entirely in the first 5 minutes?

No promo art has her anywhere(that I've seen), unless she's in the OP somewhere that I missed.
Fawx9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-03, 14:24   Link #227
gameboy234
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiderLeangle View Post
Seems like it's going to be a fun little show for what it is, but I don't have anything much to say, I just wanted to point out I couldn't help but notice this
http://www.majhost.com/gallery/manal...dayssasuke.jpg

Although most of you don't get the reference do you?...
Look exactly like ninja warrior.

The face of the soldier is blur and funny. I think i will like the show.
gameboy234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-03, 14:38   Link #228
felix
sleepyhead
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: event horizon
The layed back theme of the show is promising.
__________________
felix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-03, 15:19   Link #229
Dralha
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Neo-Venezia
Looks to be an all-around fun series. I like the fact that it didn't follow the usual thing where the hero is initially reluctant to be the hero. Refreshing!
__________________
Dralha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-03, 15:35   Link #230
Taufiq91
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Since my last post got deleted because my page was huge, here's my picture-only review of Dog Days with a much more fitting size:
Spoiler for Picture review:



Overal, it's pretty cool, especially when you have the creator of Nanoha involved. And it's nice to see Mamoru Miyano in a shounen role instead of writing death notes and piloting cybodies.

And yes, the hero is a guy who's enjoying himself to be a hero and not someone who is reluctant to be. I wish we had more of that type instead of the "I musn't run away type".
__________________
Taufiq91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-03, 15:45   Link #231
Therion
マテリアルS
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: California
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikoo View Post
Freebies:
I'll take this one.
__________________
Therion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-03, 15:53   Link #232
Sekirei07
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Houston
Age: 26
I have to say this series is not starting off on a very good note. Various problems.

1. The Hero
Why is he British? If your going to Japan to summon a hero, shouldn't it be someone actually native there? I mean it just doesn't feel right. It lacks the whole "Being pulled from your home and you wish to return feeling". Its like an excuse to have a character with blond hair and blue eyes. He lacks all interesting aspects of a hero as well. He is already perfectly capable of fighting, skilled with the weapon he is given, has full confidence in his abilities, and doesn't even seem to care about being forced into this situation of wonder about how to get back home. He completely lacks any aspects of character development.

2. The setting
Again, total lack of tension or substance. Its just cats vs. dogs. What are there goals in all this? Do the cats want to enslave the dogs? Do the dogs have something that the cats want? I mean the whole use a game to decide war is so freaking far fetched. Would you really so easily give up your home just because you lost a game? Its like they just don't even care, is there country something they would not risk there life for? I mean whats the point of living if your home is gone? Just become there slaves than?

I guess its tailored for a young audience, but hell Nanoha had some very deep character and plot points, and Nanoha herself wasn't a badass right from the first fight.

But again, its the first episode still. Hopefully something will get interesting. If not, than there are better anime than this that follow this same pattern done years ago, like Zero.
__________________
Pedo-Kuch approves
Sekirei07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-03, 16:05   Link #233
Midonin
Last Engage
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sekirei07 View Post
He lacks all interesting aspects of a hero as well. He is already perfectly capable of fighting, skilled with the weapon he is given, has full confidence in his abilities, and doesn't even seem to care about being forced into this situation of wonder about how to get back home. He completely lacks any aspects of character development.
Stories are a surprisingly mutable thing. If he's confident, then down the line that confidence can be shaken. Be it by a loss that was his own fault, a competitor who is stronger than him or some other option. Knowing the creators of the show, I expect idealism to reign supreme, but that doesn't mean Shinku won't be put through his trials. All heroes have trials.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-03, 16:15   Link #234
Taufiq91
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sekirei07 View Post
He is already perfectly capable of fighting, skilled with the weapon he is given, has full confidence in his abilities, and doesn't even seem to care about being forced into this situation of wonder about how to get back home. He completely lacks any aspects of character development.


Ever watch this movie?
__________________
Taufiq91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-03, 16:34   Link #235
lightbringer
M9000
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: SBC Gurokken
Well, his name is Japanese enough. I guess he's half-British? It sure beats having yet another Japanese in this role, like in every other manga where someone gets sucked into a different world. As for the rest, they are apparently fighting to not be depressed... I just hope they can somehow keep the audience from being depressed...
lightbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-03, 16:39   Link #236
Justin_Brett
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Canada, Sault Ste. Marie
Quote:
Why is he British? If your going to Japan to summon a hero, shouldn't it be someone actually native there? I mean it just doesn't feel right.
That's less a problem and more you just disliking it. I doubt they really cared what nation the hero is from so long as he was strong. And there's probably some reason for it; it's only the first episode. You might as well ask why Negi was british.
Justin_Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-03, 16:42   Link #237
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sekirei07 View Post
I have to say this series is not starting off on a very good note. Various problems.

1. The Hero
Why is he British? If your going to Japan to summon a hero, shouldn't it be someone actually native there?
Why not British? (Which his name indicates he isn't... Probably a half, born in England.) Don't you think from the perspective of dog people recruiting ape people to fight cat people, the difference between British and Japanese is awfully trivial?

If you're going to wonder about their choice of summon, wonder why they didn't bring back the actual champion instead of the runner-up.

Quote:
I mean it just doesn't feel right. It lacks the whole "Being pulled from your home and you wish to return feeling".
I don't know what he considers his home, whether it's in the UK or Japan or whatever, but I'm pretty sure it's not full of animal eared people riding giant birds.

Quote:
Its like an excuse to have a character with blond hair and blue eyes.
... They needed an excuse?

Quote:
He lacks all interesting aspects of a hero as well. He is already perfectly capable of fighting, skilled with the weapon he is given, has full confidence in his abilities, and doesn't even seem to care about being forced into this situation of wonder about how to get back home. He completely lacks any aspects of character development.
Wouldn't make much sense to summon an incompetent coward, would it? Except by accident, I mean. And at least this one trained for his abilities.

Quote:
2. The setting
Again, total lack of tension or substance. Its just cats vs. dogs. What are there goals in all this? Do the cats want to enslave the dogs? Do the dogs have something that the cats want? I mean the whole use a game to decide war is so freaking far fetched. Would you really so easily give up your home just because you lost a game? Its like they just don't even care, is there country something they would not risk there life for? I mean whats the point of living if your home is gone? Just become there slaves than?
Yeah... I think you didn't get the joke. Nothing serious happens even if you lose. They treat it as a big deal because actual wars with actual stakes never happen, that's all. That's the point: it's supposed to be lighthearted fun. Though I suppose they could troll us again and have it turn horribly serious at some point, I don't think it's going to happen.
Anh_Minh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-03, 16:55   Link #238
lightbringer
M9000
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: SBC Gurokken
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Yeah... I think you didn't get the joke. Nothing serious happens even if you lose. They treat it as a big deal because actual wars with actual stakes never happen, that's all. That's the point: it's supposed to be lighthearted fun. Though I suppose they could troll us again and have it turn horribly serious at some point, I don't think it's going to happen.
I was just thinking while watching it that it would be hilarious if they learned about real warfare with real consequences from our hero and things would take a bloody turn from there on out, but with a background in gymnastics or athletics, that's not very likely.
lightbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-03, 17:17   Link #239
Sekirei07
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Houston
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taufiq91 View Post


Ever watch this movie?
No, I have not, so I wiki it and here is what the second paragraph says:

Quote:
It has developed a minor cult following as an unintentional comedy for its dubious premise, poor production quality and strange setting. Maxim lists the film as the 17th "Worst Movie of All Time".[2][dead link] Due to the sensitive nature of the film it was banned in Finland in 1986 so as to not offend the USSR
Yeah, seeing as how there seems to be a pattern. I guess its safe to assume it will be just as "good"?

Quote:
Yeah... I think you didn't get the joke. Nothing serious happens even if you lose. They treat it as a big deal because actual wars with actual stakes never happen, that's all. That's the point: it's supposed to be lighthearted fun. Though I suppose they could troll us again and have it turn horribly serious at some point, I don't think it's going to happen.
Its not a joke, jokes have punchlines, or build up something to then pull the rug out from under your or something. There is no punchline here, its the whole bases of that world. They didn't set it up even as if it really was going to be a serious battle at first to then reveal it really isn't all that serious or bad.

Quote:
Why not British? (Which his name indicates he isn't... Probably a half, born in England.) Don't you think from the perspective of dog people recruiting ape people to fight cat people, the difference between British and Japanese is awfully trivial?

If you're going to wonder about their choice of summon, wonder why they didn't bring back the actual champion instead of the runner-up.
It just seems like that dog picked the first athletic person it saw to be the hero. It didn't have any kind of destiny or fated feel. It seems almost anyone could have played the role with that setup.

Than again, thinking back on Nanoha's first season. They did pull out some things that didn't make any logical sense as well. I mean what kind of parent just lets there 9 year old daughter go off on a journey without any explanation and just accepts it with a smile. I mean no person would just be like "Where are you going? You can't tell me? It's important and you have to do it? Okay, leave however long you need to I won't question it"

I just feel that when you compare serious matters with light hearted matters, it is much easier to go from light hearted to serious than from serious to light hearted. Trying to make war look funny or easygoing is really hard to do, because if its not done well it just looks dumb. But Making lets say, dodgeball, into a "war-like" serious situation can be more entertaining because even if you can't take it serious, you can find it funny still because of how they try to make it serious. An anime example would be like Puella Madoka, taking the light hearted Magical Girl concept and giving it the serious dark tone of Faust has made it huge.

Hmm, but than again. I have to take Hetalia into account. Maybe its just hit and miss and I just think this is going to be a miss and not a hit
__________________
Pedo-Kuch approves

Last edited by Sekirei07; 2011-04-03 at 17:36.
Sekirei07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-03, 19:13   Link #240
RiderLeangle
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by gameboy234 View Post
Look exactly like ninja warrior.
I should hope it does, considering technically that's what it is, It's called Sasuke in Japan and that's where I got the pics from.
OK technically the first pic after the screencap (Of the ring obstacle they haven't given a name for yet oddly enough) did come from G4 in their showing the Americans who qualified through American Ninja Warrior 2 running the course in Japan but I'm just rambling here ain't I?
RiderLeangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
ecchi, fantasy, harem, shonen

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:27.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.