|2013-06-12, 14:42||Link #1|
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Stockport UK
You know you're an otaku when
Is anyone guilty of the following? feel free to contribute.
1. You start using the odd Japanese word or Manga / Anime jargon in your speech.
2. A good proportion of songs on your MP3 player & computer's hard drive are in Japanese from all the soundtrack CDs you own.
3. You try to work Manga & Anime into a conversation with a stranger, especially if they are from somewhere where it's popular.
4. Your credit card company has called at least once about irregular payments to obscure online shops.
5. You've had an outburst when your ability to complete a series has been affected by a licensing problem.
6. You become a fan of a single voice actor & try to collect everything they have done, including music CDs & live action TV / films etc.
7. You've spend longer than you should have at your local sushi bar as they show anime on a screen behind the counter, even when the sound is turned off you can hardly read the subtitles.
8. You get a Japanese pen pal just to find out what the latest Manga / Anime fad is in Japan & to find out what an obscure reference is all about.
9. If you buy Japanese food at your local world produce shop & keep the packaging just for the style.
10. You smile when you hear a bit of Japlish or a reference to your home country in an Manga / Anime.
11. You get a Deviant Art account to display your fan art, & trawl it for fan art & cosplay pics of your favourite Manga / Anime series.
12. You become a fountain of knowledge of Japanese culture for people how know you, & struggle to contain your rage when people get Japanese things mixed up with Chinese & Korean.
13. You buy a multi region DVD / Blue ray player so you can watch the animes that were only sold in certain parts of the world. Same for games consoles.
14. You record every documentary about Japan on TV in case there's a feature on Manga / Anime.
15. You've had at least one flame war over what counts as an anime, especially something written outside of Japan but animated by an Japanese studio. A suggestion that the Godzilla cartoon is an anime will bring on an outburst that might be hard to contain.
16. You get into an obscure Manga / Anime & suddenly spot references to it you never spotted before online.
17. In the age of smartphones you still use a flip phone with Manga / Anime themed stickers & phone charms as a homage to your favourite character.
18. You learn sewing to make a cosplay outfit.
19. You get into a Manga / Anime just because one of the characters looks like you & will be easy to cosplay.
20. You try to get an online cosplay group to all dress as all the main characters from your favourite Manga / Anime & hope you can all get together at a convention.
21. When a friend of yours shows an interest in your hobby & asks to watch something you take at least 10 minutes choosing something that's too inaccessible, fan service heavy or looks like it was made for girls aged 4-7.
22. You've leant someone a Manga volume, & the first remark about it they make is about reading it backwards or why no-one in it looks Japanese.
23. You hope to save up enough money to visit Japan one day, but your hobby spending is already bankrupting you.
24. Your party piece is to give someone a Japanese version of their name, rendered in either Katakana / Hiragana or Kanji if you know enough.
|2013-06-12, 15:11||Link #2|
Join Date: Jan 2012
only 2 & a little bit of 16 for me, but 16 really happens to anyone who often watches anime, so it is not really a sign for Otakus...
though to be fair about 2, only about half of my music database is from anime. The 2nd half are OSTs from movies and games. I only have very few "chart" songs, because I think this so-called "top 10 chart" usually contains mostly mediocre or really bad music (IMO). I wish they would add soundtracks to the charts...
so no, I guess I am not an Otaku.
Last edited by GreyZone; 2013-06-12 at 15:32. Reason: corrected numbers and added text
|2013-06-12, 18:37||Link #6|
Join Date: Aug 2008
|2013-06-12, 19:20||Link #7|
Sisterhood of the Desu
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: in a van by the river
2. Some of my songs are Jpop. When Limewire was around, I used to find character songs and songs by my favorite VAS
4. Years ago I did get a credit card and promptly spent on a shitload of dvds.
5. You mean completing something? I just find it online somewhere.
6. I like certain actors but I don't own everything they put out.
7. LOL. I'm in the country; ain't no sushi bars here...XD
8. No no no. This is a seriously obnoxious reason to befriend someone from Japan. There are other things about Japan that interest me besides anime/manga....
9. When I lived in the city, I tried green tea ice cream once. I HATED it. And while the sushi was good, apparently I can't take wasabe too often.
10/ Don't give a shit. Besides, American references are usually made in parody anyway.
11. I do go on deviant art to look at pictures of my favorite characters. I can't draw otherwise I'd be posting up fanart. And yes, I do have a fanfiction account.
12. FUCK NO!
13. Don't own a blu-ray player
14. GOD NO.
15. TO be honest, I don't know. Maybe when I was first getting into it. But I don't give a shit nowadays about this sort of thing...
16. I'm sure this probably has happened.
17. I have an app for manga and CR, FUNI and Viki for my ipad. I also have Viz and Kodansha.
18. I want to learn sewing but not for cosplay. I don't cosplay.
19. No one looks like me.
20. -end: Nope. Though I wouldn't mind going to visit Japan.
None of my friends care for manga.
Last edited by GDiddy; 2013-06-12 at 19:33.
|2013-06-12, 22:34||Link #8|
Join Date: Dec 2003
Sorry, but this is a sort of Forum Game that is more like a survey, and it isn't really permitted by our Forum Rules. Therefore, I'm locking the thread.
(Thanks to those who participated and tried to bring discussion points to the equation...)