AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Full Metal Panic

Notices

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2004-03-23, 23:25   Link #1
kyosuke
My bike got stolen
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu

I've asked people around and they suggested me this anime.
Could someone tell me whether this anime is like a continuation of Full Metal Panic! ?
Would I be able to understand the series if I started watching this without watching "Full Metal Panic!" first?

Thanks in Advance,
Kyosuke
kyosuke is offline  
Old 2004-03-24, 00:39   Link #2
MikoKikyo
*
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Age: 27
No, I don't think they're related... I never watched Full Metal Panic, and when I watched FMF it didn't seem like anything was missing, it was pretty basic and straightforward...

So don't worry about it, you can understand FMF in itself.
MikoKikyo is offline  
Old 2004-03-24, 00:51   Link #3
kj1980
kaii~...kana? kana?
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Age: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyosuke
I've asked people around and they suggested me this anime.
Could someone tell me whether this anime is like a continuation of Full Metal Panic! ?
Would I be able to understand the series if I started watching this without watching "Full Metal Panic!" first?

Thanks in Advance,
Kyosuke
A short, clear-direct-to-the-point answer would be: No, you do not have to watch "Full Metal Panic!" to understand "Full Metal Panic? Fmoff"

Elaboration: Though the two stories are related (characters, background details, etc.), the former revolves around action/adventure in a combat zone while the latter focuses its attention on the characters' comical life in high school.

Hence, you do not need to watch "Full Metal Panic!" beforehand to enjoy "Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu." However, a lot of my friends who haven't watched FMP! and started with FMP?Fmoff did get them interested into watching/reading FMP! in the end.

Last edited by kj1980; 2006-02-14 at 22:01.
kj1980 is offline  
Old 2004-03-24, 01:35   Link #4
Kyuven
Bishoujo Goodness Galore!
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Stuck Between Reality and Fantasy
to elaborate: FMP is based on books
the manga is based on the books+the short stories based in the FMP world
the anime Full Metal Panic! is based in the straightforward world of the novels
Fumoffu is the animation of the "filler" manga chapters and the short stories written by the original author.
the manga has an interesting way of going about it, too: Vol. 1 is mostly school comedy, vol. 2 is entirely about the events in N. Korea, vol 3 is more comedy, and vol. 4 is more plot
Kyuven is offline  
Old 2004-03-24, 02:12   Link #5
Slade xTekno
Tekkaman Blade!
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bakersfield, CA, USA,
Age: 27
FMP: Fumoffu? is just a bunch of happenings at school while Sousuke attended. All you need to know to watch Fumoffu? is that Sousuke grew up a guerilla fighter in Aghganistan and is having trouble adapting to the normal Japanese lifestyle. THis is explained in the first episode...
Full Metal Panic is not required. However, it is a good series you may want to see.
__________________
Slade xTekno is offline  
Old 2004-03-24, 22:05   Link #6
ff7799
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: New York
Age: 31
Send a message via AIM to ff7799 Send a message via MSN to ff7799
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyosuke
I've asked people around and they suggested me this anime.
Could someone tell me whether this anime is like a continuation of Full Metal Panic! ?
Would I be able to understand the series if I started watching this without watching "Full Metal Panic!" first?

Thanks in Advance,
Kyosuke
Full Metal Fumoffu pics up directly where full metal panic leaves off.
ff7799 is offline  
Old 2004-03-25, 01:03   Link #7
Kyuven
Bishoujo Goodness Galore!
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Stuck Between Reality and Fantasy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ff7799
Full Metal Fumoffu pics up directly where full metal panic leaves off.
half right
almost any point of FMP? Fumoffu can take place before (or after) episode 12
episode 1 of FMP? Fumoffu actually takes place right BEFORE FMP! episode 1
Kyuven is offline  
Old 2004-03-27, 06:27   Link #8
roguenoir
Rogue Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuven
half right
almost any point of FMP? Fumoffu can take place before (or after) episode 12
episode 1 of FMP? Fumoffu actually takes place right BEFORE FMP! episode 1
Episodes 11 and 12 take place after FMP! 1 b/c of the brief flashback of one of the ending episodes of FMP1. It would make sense that the sub is undergoing maintenance due to the whole incident at the end of FMP1. The other episodes could have taken place anywhere.. during or after FMP1.

I'd recommend that you watch BOTH series simultaneously if you haven't seen either, preferably starting with a few ep's of FMP1.

Last edited by roguenoir; 2004-03-31 at 05:49.
roguenoir is offline  
Old 2004-03-27, 21:42   Link #9
Umbrae
Generic Human
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: here
I did not watch FMP before watching FMP:F yet fumoffu became my favorite comic anime. Personaly, I would recomend watching a few episodes of FMP, but it is in no way nessisary.

You will just get a few jokes better, like when his partners show up for the bath house episode.
__________________
Umbrae is offline  
Old 2004-05-05, 18:49   Link #10
Marine-RX179
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuven
half right
almost any point of FMP? Fumoffu can take place before (or after) episode 12
episode 1 of FMP? Fumoffu actually takes place right BEFORE FMP! episode 1
Actually you are the one that's mistaken....ff7799 was right.
Chidori only met Sosuke only for the first time in school during the episode 1 of FMP, while through the episodes of FMP? Fumoffu, it has already clearly shown her affection for him.
Marine-RX179 is offline  
Old 2009-11-01, 08:13   Link #11
xKeen
Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Malaysia
5 year old,but I just can't resist posting.
Still watching episode 2,and I can't stop slapping myself from the humor(can't stop laughing)
__________________

Credits to Pellissier~
xKeen is offline  
Old 2009-11-01, 18:01   Link #12
JRendell
Manga Addict
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: England, UK
Age: 23
Send a message via Skype™ to JRendell
Indeed, it is very funny.
__________________
VeritasAnimeList
MangaList
ImgurImages

Protip: Manga originals are
always better than Anime
adaptions.

-listening to-
-current desktop-


JRendell is offline  
Old 2009-11-02, 18:23   Link #13
darkdarkdark
Let's Go, My Friends.
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by xKeen View Post
5 year old,but I just can't resist posting.
Still watching episode 2,and I can't stop slapping myself from the humor(can't stop laughing)
Yeah, FMP:F was a pretty funny set of episodes. I wish there were more though, 12 episodes seemed short.

Anyway, happy watching. Favorite episodes for me: 6 & 11
darkdarkdark is offline  
Old 2009-11-02, 19:34   Link #14
gaffer7
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Here, there and everywhere
A classic series for me, I don't think there's a single purely comedy style anime I would rank as highly as FMP Fumoffu. Actually, interestingly enough, I would likely choose to show people Fumoffu first over the original series if I was introducing them to anime, largely because I think it was much better done
__________________
gaffer7 is offline  
Old 2009-11-02, 20:05   Link #15
LeoXiao
提倡自我工業化
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Vereinigte Staaten
Age: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaffer7 View Post
A classic series for me, I don't think there's a single purely comedy style anime I would rank as highly as FMP Fumoffu. Actually, interestingly enough, I would likely choose to show people Fumoffu first over the original series if I was introducing them to anime, largely because I think it was much better done
Yeah I think so too. However some things don't make sense unless you watch the main story. IMO the reason why Fumoffu was better was really just because KyoAni did the last two seasons.
LeoXiao is offline  
Old 2009-11-03, 18:43   Link #16
xKeen
Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Malaysia
Moving on to second raid after I finish this.I miss the other characters...
__________________

Credits to Pellissier~
xKeen is offline  
Old 2009-11-03, 19:00   Link #17
darkdarkdark
Let's Go, My Friends.
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaffer7 View Post
A classic series for me, I don't think there's a single purely comedy style anime I would rank as highly as FMP Fumoffu. Actually, interestingly enough, I would likely choose to show people Fumoffu first over the original series if I was introducing them to anime, largely because I think it was much better done
I disagree. I started on a few episodes on fumoffu at first, because I thought that it was the first season. I got confused later, and did not realize it was the 2nd season until episode 10. It confused me. I watched the first season, and fumoffu was a lot funnier the second time

Quote:
Originally Posted by xKeen View Post
Moving on to second raid after I finish this.I miss the other characters...
I don't really miss any of the characters from fumoffu. Tsubaki was lame. Sousuke owns him hands down . I love TSR (episode 6,9,13 for sure). Animation was a lot better in it as well.
darkdarkdark is offline  
Old 2009-11-03, 19:16   Link #18
xKeen
Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Malaysia
I meant the characters from Full metal panic!
__________________

Credits to Pellissier~
xKeen is offline  
Old 2009-11-03, 20:30   Link #19
gaffer7
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Here, there and everywhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkdarkdark View Post
I disagree. I started on a few episodes on fumoffu at first, because I thought that it was the first season. I got confused later, and did not realize it was the 2nd season until episode 10. It confused me. I watched the first season, and fumoffu was a lot funnier the second time
Hmm, well, I showed Fumoffu to a number of my friends and even without the first season, they were cracking up over the series. I will admit, though, that I had to explain a few things to them at certain points, but that's why I'd probably show it to them, not get them to watch it themselves, as Fumoffu never gets old for me! I'm basing my opinion mainly on the fact I've personally seen far more favourable responses among people I know for Fumoffu, some really dislike the first season
__________________
gaffer7 is offline  
Old 2009-11-05, 18:47   Link #20
darkdarkdark
Let's Go, My Friends.
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaffer7 View Post
Hmm, well, I showed Fumoffu to a number of my friends and even without the first season, they were cracking up over the series. I will admit, though, that I had to explain a few things to them at certain points, but that's why I'd probably show it to them, not get them to watch it themselves, as Fumoffu never gets old for me! I'm basing my opinion mainly on the fact I've personally seen far more favourable responses among people I know for Fumoffu, some really dislike the first season
Well, the first season was a bit of a doozy. I personally liked the first season the least out of all. First of all, only the first few episodes were pretty interesting, and how Kaname finds out Sousuke is a mercenary and all, then it gets pretty dull. Behemoth was pretty boring, and the 3 Hamajistan(sorry for spelling) ones were a bit depressing. The first season ended terribly too, and did not offer much closure. Thank goodness for another 2 seasons.

Fumoffu is watchable because it's a comedy series. It attracts all types of viewers, and it was pretty well done.
darkdarkdark is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:54.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.