AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-10-19, 15:53   Link #1321
Flower
Purrrrfectly cuddly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by papermario13689 View Post
As long as it's not flooded with side topics and it actually focuses on the original series, then yes, I'd be interested.
I was thinking it might actually serve a similar purpose an iM@S subforum might have.
Old 2011-10-19, 17:02   Link #1322
jcdietz03

Count me in too.
jcdietz03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-19, 19:37   Link #1323
Azuma Denton
~AD~

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForgottenLine View Post
You mean these? Pictures are not mine though.

Woot?? It comes with signature??
May i steal one??
Azuma Denton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-19, 19:46   Link #1324
Midonin
Last Engage

Midonin's The Two iDOLM@STERs Comparison Diary
Week Fifteen

This is probably the richest week for comparison I'll ever get. Let's not waste time.

Diegesis Level 2/2 - Chihaya's Dream vs Kisaragi
Perfect synchronization. Chihaya is the hero and Haruka is an evildoer set on taking all Chihaya holds dear. (As this is a 30-second dream sequence, I don't have very much to draw on.)

Diegesis Level 1/2 - Xenoglossia vs Mujin Gattai Kisaragi

This is where the bulk of the comparisons will take place. I've been waiting for this all week.

Robot Style
Xenoglossia - Real (with some vaguely supernatural elements). The iDOLs are robots.
Kisaragi - Super. Super to the max. Done mostly as a homage to Gurren Lagann too. The idols are robots. Literally.

Character Alignment
Oddly, almost the exact opposite. Ami/Mami (together in Kisaragi) are on the side of the good guys, as is Ritsuko. Oddly, Makoto is of the same alignment in both shows, though in Kisaragi, I think she was evil from the start, whereas Xenoglossia has her pulling a Nina Wong. Beyond that...

Haruka, Yukiho, Yayoi, Azusa (as a robot) and Iori are all on the side of EVIL, with a capital "evil". In Xenoglossia, while Yayoi's mostly been a clueless bystander, all of them (Iori most of all) are unquestionably on the side of good. In Kisaragi, Hibiki takes up the bystander role, though she also has robotic animals.

Chihaya, while antagonistic in Xenoglossia, is not only portrayed as a good guy, but the title character. Though this is an increasingly gray area. More on that below.

I never thought I'd be able to get several paragraphs of discussion on the merits of robots out of iM@S, but stranger things have happened.

Diegesis Level 1/1

Cosplay - Yayoi, Iori, Azusa, Yukiho, Haruka
iM@S - Kindergarten outfits (x3), in charge of cosplay, fancy suit
Xenoglossia - Penguin, cockroach, fancy suit (n/a), race queen, angel

It's looking like I shouldn't compare President Kuroi to the leader of Triabeater, but rather to Hibiki Saku of Xenoglossia. Both of them are sabotaging the systems of our heroes from within rather than by direct attacks. Whether it's ordering Imber to be completely dismantled because of a bad reaction, or getting Hibiki off track and leading her into bear country (either way leads to a rampage), they prefer a subtle brand of evil.

On the note of character analysis, the way I view the two Yukihos has almost completely reversed itself. In her cosplay session with Makoto, iM@S's Yukiho had a complete lack of shyness. She was dynamic, having sparkles in her eyes, taking charge in front of a crowd of millions. Xenoglossia's Yukiho has remained comfortable in her operator position, and still suffers from random narcolepsy. She hasn't had as much improvement. (The name of Yukiho/Makoto's segment, "Modifications", is seen in a bit of a different light compared to Xenoglossia, where the "modifications" are more of the cyborg nature than cosplay.)

On a small note, Xenoglossia's Yayoi, while overall being more selfish compared to iM@S's beacon of altruism, mentioned this week that one of her greatest fears was being away from home. Could her large family possibly still exist in this universe?

On a final note, archiving. The stuff kept on idols formed the closing moments for each episode. Imber and Nebula both keep pictures and videos of their past masters, including Chihaya in Imber's case. It comes across as endearing, but vaguely stalkerish. Or it could be Kotori's several shelves of the production work the 765 team has done. It's related to her job, and comes across as endearing, but vaguely desperate.

Whew. That was exhaustive.

Last edited by Midonin; 2011-10-19 at 20:06.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-19, 20:29   Link #1325
houkoholic
seiyuu maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midonin View Post
Robot Style
Kisaragi - Super. Super to the max. Done mostly as a homage to Gurren Lagann too. The idols are robots. Literally.
You are giving too much credit to Gurren Lagann. The only direct Gurren Lagann homage is that crazy fusioning of robots from Kisaragi and the way they did the title. There are way more stuff from old school 70s super robot shows. The stupid forearm up in the air pose and Ami/Mami piloting from a wrist watch while holding onto the face on the outside? Original Giant Robo homage. Chest missile and scythe from the head from Asuza robot? Mazinger Z homage. Double drill arms of Yukiho robot? Exactly the same design as Koutetsu Geeg's. Hibiki's robot dog's design is ripped directly from Yattaman. Harukka's lizard army and devil wings? Shin Getta Robo reference. Someone even observed that the Ami/Mami uniform and the way they join hands is actually from Pretty Cure.

Gurren Lagann homage is only a tiny portion in that parody, it's much more correct to say they parodied the entire Super Robot genre of the past 30 years (plus throws in some well known otaku memes). Not to mention Gurren Lagann is itself a homage to 70s Super Robot shows.
houkoholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-19, 20:33   Link #1326
Midonin
Last Engage

I'm aware, I'm aware. I know my robot history fairly well. Just trying to be pithy in that part.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-19, 23:34   Link #1327
BaKaBaKaOtaKu
Stupidity is Bliss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcdietz03 View Post
C'mon, throw the dog a bone here! It's not official, but you could try this post for some indication of which characters are most / least popular.

Should I make a poll like at SurveyMonkey.com? I couldn't figure out how to do a Vbulletin poll with more than 10 choices.
my azusa at 11th? this sucks. DX well,atleast chihaya's 4th XD
BaKaBaKaOtaKu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-19, 23:41   Link #1328
Hiroi Sekai
Minna no ojou-sama~♥
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via Skype™ to Hiroi Sekai
It's better than my Mami sitting in 13th. ;_;
Old 2011-10-19, 23:49   Link #1329
Flower
Purrrrfectly cuddly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by liro View Post
Spoiler for pic:

Idolm@ster popularity poll in Animate store in Tokyo. Top 5 character results:

1. Yayoi
2. Makoto
3. Miki
4. Chihaya
5. Takane
6. Hibiki
7. Haruka
8. Iori
9. Yukiho
10. Kotori
11. Azusa
12. Ritsuko
13. Mami
14. Ami
Hah! See? Yayoi is at the top!
Old 2011-10-19, 23:52   Link #1330
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower View Post
I completely see no problem with this, even if I do feel bad for the twins.
OceanBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-20, 00:53   Link #1331
BaKaBaKaOtaKu
Stupidity is Bliss.

-facepalm-

flat-chested and loli girls... i dun understand why many people prefer them DX
Old 2011-10-20, 01:00   Link #1332
Hiroi Sekai
Minna no ojou-sama~♥
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaKaBaKaOtaKu View Post
-facepalm-

Because maybe not everyone's 1000% focused on breast size as opposed to personalities?
Old 2011-10-20, 01:16   Link #1333
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

Maybe because they're adorable.
OceanBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-20, 01:20   Link #1334
shinku no kage
:Still Yayoi's Onii~chan:

Quote:
It's obviously Yayoi!

Oh ... wait ... you mean popular in here in this thread? Or as represented in the Japanese market? Or based on anime polls? Or ... ?

In any case it is Yayoi - don't dare and attempt to confuse me with any other so called "facts" ... my mind is made up!

*Ahem*

Back on thread topic ... I wonder if anyone else would actually be interested to join an iM@S "social group"?
Quote:
"Kokoro no tomo yo~!!"

Was there ever a doubt that our little Yayoi would be #1? No, no there wasnt. Because lets admit it, she is infact everyone's "imouto", which amounts to her popularity.

WE LOVE YOU YAYOI~!!!! Uh-uuh~~

...*takes a deep breath* Oh, and yes, I would totally join an iM@S social group.

Quote:
-facepalm-

Because appearance comes second following personality. A girl could be the most beautiful girl in the world but she's not going to be popular is she's a total b!tch. But a girl with decent looks and a great personality? She'll win all the time compared to that b!tch.

As far as breasts size goes...thats just personal preference. Personally I favor smaller breasts over larger breasts...not that there's anything wrong with large breasts either.
Old 2011-10-20, 01:24   Link #1335
BaKaBaKaOtaKu
Stupidity is Bliss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by papermario13689 View Post
Because maybe not everyone's 1000% focused on breast size as opposed to personalities?
maybe. maybe. but i guess pedophilia will always remain incurable. DX and i don't think they like yayoi because of her personality.

oh wellz, here i am again talking about this.
Old 2011-10-20, 01:29   Link #1336
shinku no kage
:Still Yayoi's Onii~chan:

Quote:
maybe. maybe. but i guess pedophilia will always remain incurable. DX and i don't think they like yayoi because of her personality.

oh wellz, here i am again talking about this.
...I respect your right to say that and I also wont deny that Yayoi's popularity is not singularly based on her personality as you say. (whether it be either pure or non-pure intentioned thoughts of the fans...) But if we're gonna head in this direction then we can say the same for all characters, no?
Old 2011-10-20, 01:41   Link #1337
Hiroi Sekai
Minna no ojou-sama~♥
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinku no kage View Post
As far as breasts size goes...thats just personal preference. Personally I favor smaller breasts over larger breasts...not that there's anything wrong with large breasts either.
Join us next week when we delve into more of shinku's "ideal woman" preferences.
Old 2011-10-20, 01:51   Link #1338
BaKaBaKaOtaKu
Stupidity is Bliss.

yeah. maybe. but i still think lolis topping popularity are disturbing since it's so unnatural for male(i think im@s fans are 98% male) to prefer a loli over what musta be a logical choice of a mature girl. personality doesn't come first as a basis for favoritism. Taiga was a bitch yet she was preferred over ami or minori. kanade was a kuudere and they prefer her over yuri.and just look at yui,she's filthy annoying. LOLI-ness is the reason.
Old 2011-10-20, 02:29   Link #1339
Hiroi Sekai
Minna no ojou-sama~♥
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
yeah. maybe. but i still think lolis topping popularity are disturbing since it's so unnatural for male(i think im@s fans are 98% male) to prefer a loli over what musta be a logical choice of a mature girl. personality doesn't come first as a basis for favoritism. Taiga was a bitch yet she was preferred over ami or minori. kanade was a kuudere and they prefer her over yuri.and just look at yui,she's filthy annoying. LOLI-ness is the reason.
I have to ask; why is it logical to favour a "mature" girl? Each person has different preferences and to them, their choice might seem correct while yours might seem off. I preferred Minori to Taiga by the way, but I don't even see how Taiga was the slanderous term you put her under; she seemed quite human, which includes getting frustrated, confused, and in her character, tsundere. Once again, I preferred Yuri over Kanade, but you're viewing all of these people on the outside- the first thing we learn not to do as children. Maybe some people like the upbeat personality of Yui, along with her optimistic outlook despite her tragic lifestyle? I personally liked Yui a lot. Sure, I'll agree that some people neglect all this and go for the pettan girls without any thoughts, but give the fans some credit here; most of us do appreciate character and personality.
Old 2011-10-20, 02:34   Link #1340
Azuma Denton
~AD~

Yay, Makoto at the 2nd...
Hope it will catch up to Yayoi in the first position as the anime ends...

But seriously, i even think the top 3 will be dominated by Miki, Chihaya and Haruka...
But Yayoi and Makoto beating Miki?? O.o
Wow...

Kudos to the underdog, Yayoi...

EDIT:
Everyone has a preference theirselves...
Like me, never like the big sister type like Azusa...
So it is pointless to force logical or illogical in choosing idol...
After all idol is illogical...
Azuma Denton is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, drama, idolmaster, musical, puchim@s