AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Playback Help

Old 2010-11-26, 20:07   Link #1
Seiryuu

What format types work with PS3?

I have some shows in mkv format that I want to put on a PS3. I've been using something called Format Factory to reformat these, but there's something like twenty options for avi and mp4 formats, and the ones I've tried don't work. I know that avi and mp4 format work on the ps3, because I've done both. I was wondering if anyone knew what properties of avi and/or mp4 format the ps3 takes or refuses, so I know what I'm doing.
Seiryuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-19, 03:51   Link #2
defrule

A lot of shows are encoded in H264/AC3 in a mkv container. Normally I like to use mp4 but it means you need to convert the AC3 to AAC audio.

The only issue is subtitles, if your shows has subtitles burned right in then it's all fine. However soft subtitles don't seem to work with mp4 in PS3.
defrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-04, 09:54   Link #3
Sides

Officially it should support:
Quote:
Originally Posted by from ps3 manual
The following types of files can be played under (Video).

* Memory Stick Video Format
* - MPEG-4 SP (AAC LC)
* - H.264/MPEG-4 AVC High Profile (AAC LC)
* - MPEG-2 TS(H.264/MPEG-4 AVC, AAC LC)
* MP4 file format
* - H.264/MPEG-4 AVC High Profile (AAC LC)
* MPEG-1 (MPEG Audio Layer 2)
* MPEG-2 PS (MPEG2 Audio Layer 2, AAC LC, AC3(Dolby Digital), LPCM)
* MPEG-2 TS(MPEG2 Audio Layer 2, AC3(Dolby Digital), AAC LC)
* MPEG-2 TS(H.264/MPEG-4 AVC, AAC LC)
* AVI
* - Motion JPEG (Linear PCM)
* - Motion JPEG (μ-Law)
* AVCHD (.m2ts / .mts)
* DivX
* WMV
* - VC-1(WMA Standard V2)
With SmartLabs tsMuxeR you should be able to remux most files to a standard format supported by most standalone bluray players, incl. ps3.

As for MKV support, just wait for a few weeks, since the ps3 is completely open now.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-04, 19:56   Link #4
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sides View Post
As for MKV support, just wait for a few weeks, since the ps3 is completely open now.
And that matters not at all to the 99% or more of PS3 users who will never take advantage of this fact.

AFAICT, the PS3 is happiest with the mp4 format (not surprising given that it's a Sony device) with H.264, AAC audio, and hardcoded subs. One alternative to converting the videos is a "DLNA" streaming server like ps3mediaserver that will convert them on-the-fly to a compatible format.
Old 2011-01-05, 22:09   Link #5
Dist

Send a message via MSN to Dist
You seriously think that 99% out of all PS3 owners will never hack their console if they can still play it online and keep it updated ? If you really think that, then wow.

Regardless, if I needed PS3 as a mediaplayer, I would definitely hack it if it gave me better media player. Perhas Seriyuu will do this too. I personally just connect my TV to my computer .. Why bother using something in the middle like PS3.
Old 2011-01-06, 15:00   Link #6
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dist View Post
You seriously think that 99% out of all PS3 owners will never hack their console if they can still play it online and keep it updated ? If you really think that, then wow.
The portion of PS3 owners with the technical capability and interest to do such things is just not that large. I suspect the average Madden player, for instance, could care less. I probably have the technical capability but not the interest. I play the games we own using the disks we have; I play Blu-rays. If I want to watch a Matroska file, I use the computer that's connected to the same display as the PS3.

There are some 50 million PS3's installed worldwide. Do you really think more than a million of their owners would hack their consoles? I don't.
Old 2011-01-06, 17:57   Link #7
Sides

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
There are some 50 million PS3's installed worldwide. Do you really think more than a million of their owners would hack their consoles? I don't.
I don't understand why people need to hack it? Just install a linux distro on it.

It still buffers me, that some standalone sony blu-ray players actually support mkv in limited capacity (DivX HD), over disc and usb, but their flagship media device does not. One would thought, that they would implement new format support on the ps3 first, like how they have done with the blu-ray profiles. But then again sony is a big company, and the left hand doesn't necessary knows what the right one is doing.
Old 2011-01-06, 20:40   Link #8
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

With firmware 3.21, Sony removed the capability of installing an "other OS" on the PS3. As you might imagine this was highly controversial. Once you start playing the most up-to-date games, you have to update the firmware. I enountered that decision just recently.
Old 2011-01-07, 02:20   Link #9
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

Last week called and wanted to inform you the PS3 has now been permanently cracked and installing Linux on any firmware will be possible again quite soon. There are already interesting applications of this hack.
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
TheFluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-10, 11:42   Link #10
tehmuffinmon
Seleção

SeijiSensei is right. The vast majority of ps3 owners don't really seem to give a crap or think about it. I know I don't, because my ps3 already does all I need it to. I'm in the same boat as you, man; I could probably do it quite easily if I wanted to, but I don't see a need.

Also, I tried copying Black Lagoon to the ps3 in AVI format, but it couldn't read the file. I haven't had this problem with AVI files before, any ideas why? Something to do with the codecs? I haven't checked the details of the video files.
tehmuffinmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-10, 13:09   Link #11
Sides

Quote:
Originally Posted by tehmuffinmon View Post
Also, I tried copying Black Lagoon to the ps3 in AVI format, but it couldn't read the file. I haven't had this problem with AVI files before, any ideas why? Something to do with the codecs? I haven't checked the details of the video files.
Officially the ps3 supports only mjpeg as video codec with avi files, anything else is not supported. Remux it into a mp4 container, if it is using h264 or h263(simple profile), and make sure aac lc is used for the audio stream.
Actually just remux the DVDs as a TS files, no need to compress it. External HDD are cheap these days anyway.
Old 2011-01-10, 16:10   Link #12
tehmuffinmon
Seleção

Ahh, thanks! I'll try converting it to mp4, I think I have HD video conversion software of some sort laying around somewhere in the depths of my computer.
tehmuffinmon is offline   Reply With Quote