AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Madoka Magica

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2011-03-13, 23:34   Link #201
sweet_kungfuman
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Yeah, this is why I was a bit disappointed in Sayaka. She seemed to have healthy emotional strength, and also be very well-adjusted, prior to becoming a magical girl. That makes her rapid descent a bit of a disappointment to me.
I think her rapid descent is normal, seeing her loved one get stolen by her best friend is not a fun experience, and the pain can last for months/years to some people.

and she's only 14-15 years old .. I've know a lot of 20-30 years old adults going all crazy because of a mere internet drama. So I think broken hearted, becoming a zombie because of her loved one, have to spend the rest of her life fighting witches, are probably enough to drive a 14-15 years old girl mad
sweet_kungfuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-14, 08:24   Link #202
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: France
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet_kungfuman View Post
and she's only 14-15 years old .. I've know a lot of 20-30 years old adults going all crazy because of a mere internet drama. So I think broken hearted, becoming a zombie because of her loved one, have to spend the rest of her life fighting witches, are probably enough to drive a 14-15 years old girl mad
And that's exactly the reason Kyubey chooses teenagers for his contracts (why he only chooses females though... I can only think of reasons that would appear misogynistic )
__________________
Mikan & Yami
Kanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-14, 08:39   Link #203
Shadow5YA
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
And that's exactly the reason Kyubey chooses teenagers for his contracts (why he only chooses females though... I can only think of reasons that would appear misogynistic )
With certain hormones, females are prone to being more emotional than males.

However, that doesn't mean guys can't be emotional. I think it's just because this is a mahou shoujo series, so a guy taking a spotlight would be unacceptable.
Shadow5YA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-14, 09:13   Link #204
sweet_kungfuman
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
With certain hormones, females are prone to being more emotional than males.
yeah, it got worst when they got their period ... Homura probably got her period when she broke down in tears in front of Madoka in episode 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
However, that doesn't mean guys can't be emotional. I think it's just because this is a mahou shoujo series, so a guy taking a spotlight would be unacceptable.
I disagree. it's not about guys stealing the spotlight, but as an incubator, QB has an energy quota to fill every month or he'll lose his job (QB might has wife and kids at home, who knows .. but if you look at how persistent he is in making Madoka & co into mahou shojo, QB might indeed has a family to feed). So it's only natural if he choose lolis since they provide more energy and at a faster rate compared to less emotional boy/guy

Last edited by sweet_kungfuman; 2011-03-14 at 09:24.
sweet_kungfuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-14, 09:28   Link #205
Shadow5YA
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet_kungfuman View Post
I disagree. it's not about guys stealing the spotlight, but as an incubator, QB has an energy quota to fill every month or he'll lose his job (QB might has wife and kids at home, who knows .. but if you look at how persistent he is in making Madoka & co into mahou shojo, QB might indeed has a family to feed). So it's only natural if he choose lolis since they provide more energy and at a faster rate compared to less emotional boy/guy
Then Kyubey should make a contract with every person he can, because more contracts mean more Witches. Kyubey does not have to limit himself just to teenage girls.
Shadow5YA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-14, 10:09   Link #206
Triple_R
Center Attraction
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Age: 32
Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
Then Kyubey should make a contract with every person he can, because more contracts mean more Witches. Kyubey does not have to limit himself just to teenage girls.
Kyubey wants to maintain a low profile (consider how he ate his previous dead self in order to avoid 'evidence' getting out there). Probably the last thing he wants is for the governments of the world to find out what he's up to, and if he contracts too far and wide that may very well happen.

Kyubey's decision to focus on a handful of rather independent teenage girls makes sense to me. I'm actually somewhat alarmed that not a single one of these girls has even considered going to adults about the full scope of the problem.
__________________
Triple_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-14, 11:27   Link #207
Shadow5YA
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Kyubey wants to maintain a low profile (consider how he ate his previous dead self in order to avoid 'evidence' getting out there). Probably the last thing he wants is for the governments of the world to find out what he's up to, and if he contracts too far and wide that may very well happen.

Kyubey's decision to focus on a handful of rather independent teenage girls makes sense to me. I'm actually somewhat alarmed that not a single one of these girls has even considered going to adults about the full scope of the problem.
Madoka vaguely asked her mother for advice. I don't think she could bring up Puella Magi and Witches, because I doubt anyone would believe them anyway.

When Kyoko's father found out, and he branded his daughter as the witch and heretic instead.

When Homura tried telling others about turning into Witches, none of them believed it either until they witnessed Sayaka become one in front of their eyes.

Unless any person can see a Witch in her Labyrinth, I think the girls would just be viewed as crazy.
Shadow5YA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-14, 11:37   Link #208
aldw
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
Madoka vaguely asked her mother for advice. I don't think she could bring up Puella Magi and Witches, because I doubt anyone would believe them anyway.

When Kyoko's father found out, and he branded his daughter as the witch and heretic instead.

When Homura tried telling others about turning into Witches, none of them believed it either until they witnessed Sayaka become one in front of their eyes.

Unless any person can see a Witch in her Labyrinth, I think the girls would just be viewed as crazy.
Smart adults would understand that there is a problem existing, even if they don't necessarily believe the details of it, so it would still be an effective starting point.
aldw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-14, 11:48   Link #209
Triple_R
Center Attraction
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Age: 32
Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by aldw View Post
Smart adults would understand that there is a problem existing, even if they don't necessarily believe the details of it, so it would still be an effective starting point.
I can totally understand and accept why Kyoko wouldn't go to any adult. I can kind of get why Mami and Sayaka wouldn't either, as Mami is now in complete loner position (i.e. there's no living adults particularly close to her) and Sayaka apparently has one of the worst legal guardians of all time (refuses to send a search party after his/her daughter after she's been missing for three days and two nights).

Madoka and Homura are different though.

Madoka has a great mom, so I don't see how it can hurt to try to get her help. Ask Homura to put on a magical display to Madoka's mom to help prove her point.

Homura knows that real world weaponry works on witches. I like what Blog Suki had to say about this.

Homura should try to get her hands on a tactical nuke, and drop it on Walpurgis Night.

Edit: These are just minor nitpicks though. And they're not quite even that really. I think that Kyubey carefully contracted with girls with very "self-sufficient" personalities who don't like relying on others at all.
__________________
Triple_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-14, 11:59   Link #210
Shadow5YA
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by aldw View Post
Smart adults would understand that there is a problem existing, even if they don't necessarily believe the details of it, so it would still be an effective starting point.
Smart adults would think that these children are schizophrenics. I believe Madoka made the right decision by asking her mother without mentioning the magic.

Also, even if there were adults who believed them, they would be powerless against Witches. While conventional modern weapons can damage Witches, the only reason Homura can get away with it is because her ability allows to accurately place every shot. Normal adults won't get that luxury. I also don't think the notion of sending middle school children off to fight much like sending a soldier off to war would sound very ethical to them. Then you would have adults who would get involved more than necessary and become a burden on the battlefield.

If it's a personal or psychological problem like Sayaka's love troubles, then Witches do not need to be mentioned, and they could ask for help the same way Madoka asked her mother.

While it would be nice to ask for an adult's help, I don't think an adult can help with magic at all.

Last edited by Shadow5YA; 2011-03-14 at 12:09.
Shadow5YA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-14, 16:42   Link #211
aldw
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
Smart adults would think that these children are schizophrenics. I believe Madoka made the right decision by asking her mother without mentioning the magic.

Also, even if there were adults who believed them, they would be powerless against Witches. While conventional modern weapons can damage Witches, the only reason Homura can get away with it is because her ability allows to accurately place every shot. Normal adults won't get that luxury. I also don't think the notion of sending middle school children off to fight much like sending a soldier off to war would sound very ethical to them. Then you would have adults who would get involved more than necessary and become a burden on the battlefield.

If it's a personal or psychological problem like Sayaka's love troubles, then Witches do not need to be mentioned, and they could ask for help the same way Madoka asked her mother.

While it would be nice to ask for an adult's help, I don't think an adult can help with magic at all.
Problems with magic are of course betterdealt with by meeting people with the requisite knowledge, like the Watchers of BtVS or Touko Aozaki in KnK. If magic really exists in a particular verse there are bound to be people studying it in some capacity or another, even if they may be hard to find right away.
aldw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-15, 11:40   Link #212
Shadow5YA
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by aldw View Post
Problems with magic are of course betterdealt with by meeting people with the requisite knowledge, like the Watchers of BtVS or Touko Aozaki in KnK. If magic really exists in a particular verse there are bound to be people studying it in some capacity or another, even if they may be hard to find right away.
The only people with experience on magic in this series are Kyubey and veteran Puella Magi like Mami and Kyoko who made their contract a long time ago. An adult magician existing in this series is a baseless assumption. How could any of the girls attempt to find an adult that may not even exist in their universe?
Shadow5YA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-16, 14:33   Link #213
aldw
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
The only people with experience on magic in this series are Kyubey and veteran Puella Magi like Mami and Kyoko who made their contract a long time ago. An adult magician existing in this series is a baseless assumption. How could any of the girls attempt to find an adult that may not even exist in their universe?
That sort of logic doesn't hold water, particularly since one could make the argument that radiation isn't perceived therefore no one studies it, even though it pervades everything. Magic that is extant would do similarly wrt existence, otherwise it is no different than the infant's mindset of 'out of sight, out of mind'.
aldw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-16, 15:11   Link #214
taofd
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
Smart adults would think that these children are schizophrenics. I believe Madoka made the right decision by asking her mother without mentioning the magic.

Also, even if there were adults who believed them, they would be powerless against Witches. While conventional modern weapons can damage Witches, the only reason Homura can get away with it is because her ability allows to accurately place every shot. Normal adults won't get that luxury. I also don't think the notion of sending middle school children off to fight much like sending a soldier off to war would sound very ethical to them. Then you would have adults who would get involved more than necessary and become a burden on the battlefield.

If it's a personal or psychological problem like Sayaka's love troubles, then Witches do not need to be mentioned, and they could ask for help the same way Madoka asked her mother.

While it would be nice to ask for an adult's help, I don't think an adult can help with magic at all.
I caution the use of schizophrenia. By definition, you must meet the criteria for an extended period of time for an individual to be diagnosed. There are several other clear cut pre-requisites to be fulfilled as well.

I think it depends on the situation. Some adults might help, others might not. Once again, I think you have to take the situation at face value-- applying too many real world constraints and questions will just put more holes in the swiss cheese .
taofd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-19, 16:38   Link #215
Hagoshod
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Send a message via AIM to Hagoshod
Sayaka wears her Soul Gem over her uterus because it represents how she wants to have Kamijou's babbies.

Well, it's a valid theory, isn't it?
Hagoshod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-19, 16:39   Link #216
Triple_R
Center Attraction
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Age: 32
Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagoshod View Post
Sayaka wears her Soul Gem over her uterus because it represents how she wants to have Kamijou's babbies.

Well, it's a valid theory, isn't it?
That's hilarious.

I like that idea a lot, actually, lol.
__________________
Triple_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-24, 12:57   Link #217
Hagoshod
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Send a message via AIM to Hagoshod
You know, Sayaka is actually the "Madoka" character in the new Madokaverse, just with a much more tragic fate.

Spoiler:

That's pretty sad, bro.
Hagoshod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-24, 13:38   Link #218
Shadow5YA
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
No, Sayaka still made her wish for Kamijou's sake. Madoka did not originally have any definite desire and was simply recruited. It is still sad though that Sayaka must die if she is a magical girl.
Shadow5YA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-24, 23:08   Link #219
sa547
Senior Member
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Philippines
Age: 37
I have forgiven this girl from all sins she committed in the past.
__________________
sa547 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-27, 15:44   Link #220
Snork
Twilight lander
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Minsk, Belarus
Send a message via ICQ to Snork
Sins? Apart from being stubborn and biased and lashing out on her friend once, I have trouble remembering any.
I was really miffed at her death, but magical girls have all possible chances for untimely death... And a least it seems Puella Magi Sayaka lived longer this time, leading the life of a heroine she had wanted to be, side by side with her friends.
Snork is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
characters

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 20:31.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
We use Silk.