AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Infinite Stratos

Notices

Old 2013-07-21, 08:42   Link #44761
MeisterBabylon
~ Ping For Effect ~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireminer View Post
Anyway, can you guys count the number of "upgraded" Ichika story? Probally half of the total number. And if you add the number of OC and Romance-centric story, that is almost everything we write. So the question is: Does IS only has that much imagination field to offer?
I spent most of my time just playing in the sandbox. That means OCs and avoiding the main cast as far as possible. The best I got was the Dunois Factory arc which interprets Mr Dunois in a slightly different light and could actually be done with just the main cast. That's why this arc is going to get smushed into my reboot of Infinite Stratos.

IS also lacked a clear villain or antagonist, and one only appeared much later. I'm going to reverse things around a little on that aspect.

The other girls also have interesting backstories to deal with: Alcott has a family shipping company crisis going on, I want to expand on that but without rebooting the damn series I just can't. I want to make Railgun more believable as Chapter Master of the Schwarzehase, show a bit more of her comrades, the hierarchy of her force, how they fight as a unit. She still hates Ichika, but as a warrior, not a woman, which will be interesting to expand on. Again, I'm going to need a reboot to do that properly. And how much FUN I've had just developing Ichika, Houki and Rin -- a love story in 2 cities! A clash of cultures! A tale of how the world evolved when IS was found! All this and more that I got from Shingeki no Titan about how to show a character's depth rather than provide a list of feats. But again, any attempt at making a cool story out of this is a reboot in its own right.

Lastly, we know that Infinite Stratos just got wrenched out of the author's hands, so no updates will be coming from him for a looong time. Good chance for me to hijack and carve my mark into the series!

Quote:
Hey, how about a Kamen Rider (or Super Sentai)-style fic?
That... would be my original [SHOOTiNG ST@R] fic, specifically the Kougami Ritsuko arc.

On money: Every man has a price. For everything else, there's MakoCard.
MeisterBabylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-21, 09:12   Link #44762
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeisterBabylon View Post
I spent most of my time just playing in the sandbox. That means OCs and avoiding the main cast as far as possible. The best I got was the Dunois Factory arc which interprets Mr Dunois in a slightly different light and could actually be done with just the main cast. That's why this arc is going to get smushed into my reboot of Infinite Stratos.

IS also lacked a clear villain or antagonist, and one only appeared much later. I'm going to reverse things around a little on that aspect.

The other girls also have interesting backstories to deal with: Alcott has a family shipping company crisis going on, I want to expand on that but without rebooting the damn series I just can't. I want to make Railgun more believable as Chapter Master of the Schwarzehase, show a bit more of her comrades, the hierarchy of her force, how they fight as a unit. She still hates Ichika, but as a warrior, not a woman, which will be interesting to expand on. Again, I'm going to need a reboot to do that properly. And how much FUN I've had just developing Ichika, Houki and Rin -- a love story in 2 cities! A clash of cultures! A tale of how the world evolved when IS was found! All this and more that I got from Shingeki no Titan about how to show a character's depth rather than provide a list of feats. But again, any attempt at making a cool story out of this is a reboot in its own right.

Lastly, we know that Infinite Stratos just got wrenched out of the author's hands, so no updates will be coming from him for a looong time. Good chance for me to hijack and carve my mark into the series!

That... would be my original [SHOOTiNG ST@R] fic, specifically the Kougami Ritsuko arc.
Wait a minute, are you the same person who wrote these "File of Nanoha" fics? I read them years ago and stumbled upon them again when searching your name on Google.
Fireminer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-21, 09:24   Link #44763
MeisterBabylon
~ Ping For Effect ~
*Author

Quote:
Wait a minute, are you the same person who wrote these "File of Nanoha" fics? I read them years ago and stumbled upon them again when searching your name on Google.
Ah yeah, those... I never did get around to starting on them, just dropped prologues as inspiration hit.

I always wanted one bloody project that I could actually FINISH. My Nanoha fics went through so many revisions I gave up when the original circle I was in practically excommunicated me for being too crack. Same with Strike Witches, Hidan no Aria, and Toaru. The story became too big, I made mistakes, then wrote myself into a corner.

Moretsu Pirates is my latest stable build, just wrote into a corner by ACCIDENT. Now I just have to get off my bum and undo the damage...

...only to "brb playing Star Wars."

Infinite Stratos suffers from being TOO DAMN BIG again. The SHOOTiNG ST@RS have so many mini-stories in it my brain kinda popped somewhere while writing Vandam I, and I still have The Black Rabbit, Mjolnir, and all 7 seasons of SHOOTiNG ST@R...

...Yeah, too damn ambitious.

So I'm not going to promise anything with regards to [The Infinite Stratos]. It might just another one-night-only affair until I actually finish 1 chapter/episode. But its off to a good start, considering that the Dunois Factory arc has practically written itself, I've got quite a few cool scenes lined up for the introduction of Houki and Charles/Charlene, and I've gotten Rin/Houki/Ichika fine-tuned well.

Let's see how things unfold.

Old 2013-07-21, 09:32   Link #44764
Eratas123

Why aren't there just fics that's basically happy? All of the ones in the archive are either "Male OC who does things better" or "Ichika in name only" fics.
Old 2013-07-21, 09:35   Link #44765
Tempest35
Awe of She
*Author

Define 'happy' please.
Old 2013-07-21, 09:40   Link #44766
MeisterBabylon
~ Ping For Effect ~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eratas123 View Post
Why aren't there just fics that's basically happy? All of the ones in the archive are either "Male OC who does things better" or "Ichika in name only" fics.
Because: Squandered premise. My fingers itch for correct this heresy!

After that, then I'll do a [2nd Boyfriend] type AU fic. I feel that Infinite Stratos tries to do too much at once and with the author's shit handling dropped the ball on both mecha and harem fronts. There IS a way to do a balanced and interesting mecha anime with harem elements; that is the point of my fic. YES, its Orimura in name only, because of how much is wasted. I could take the same background details, grow a different Ichika, then have THAT Ichika meet the girls, who also have their depths boosted...

...and before long, I stared at my ranting and found that I practically rebooted the series. Bottomline, I hate the way Ichika was portrayed. Even that alone IS a squandered premise!

But make no mistake: I'm not writing Shingeki no Kyojin in Stratos, or Muv Luv Stratos. There is no room for grimdark. I'm adding more theatrics (no one else concludes a meeting of long-lost friends with a running bamboo sword fight throughout the school), a bit of my brand of over-the-top fights, a pinch of drama. I'm also using my brand of light-heartedness, balanced against the wider events of a boy striving to better himself, his interactions with interesting women, and a recurring villain that somehow has things at a personal level.

As far as I can tell, no one dies. People will get beaten up, but they will rise above it and the story will end on an upbeat note. Its not a Neo-Heisei Meister Babylon story if it didn't. Not after training under Dog Days, Girls und Panzer, and Ginga Majestic Prince.

EDIT:

Thirdly, my circle have taken to calling my work 'Michael Bays', so I thought, I'm going to reboot the damn thing anyway, must as well do a proper job. MORE EXPLOSIONS!

Last edited by MeisterBabylon; 2013-07-21 at 09:57.
Old 2013-07-21, 10:03   Link #44767
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeisterBabylon View Post
Because: Squandered premise. My fingers itch for correct this heresy!

After that, then I'll do a [2nd Boyfriend] type AU fic. I feel that Infinite Stratos tries to do too much at once and with the author's shit handling dropped the ball on both mecha and harem fronts. There IS a way to do a balanced and interesting mecha anime with harem elements; that is the point of my fic. YES, its Orimura in name only, because of how much is wasted. I could take the same background details, grow a different Ichika, then have THAT Ichika meet the girls, who also have their depths boosted...

...and before long, I stared at my ranting and found that I practically rebooted the series. Bottomline, I hate the way Ichika was portrayed. Even that alone IS a squandered premise!

But make no mistake: I'm not writing Shingeki no Kyojin in Stratos, or Muv Luv Stratos. There is no room for grimdark. I'm adding more theatrics (no one else concludes a meeting of long-lost friends with a running bamboo sword fight throughout the school), a bit of my brand of over-the-top fights, a pinch of drama. I'm also using my brand of light-heartedness, balanced against the wider events of a boy striving to better himself, his interactions with interesting women, and a recurring villain that somehow has things at a personal level.

As far as I can tell, no one dies. People will get beaten up, but they will rise above it and the story will end on an upbeat note. Its not a Neo-Heisei Meister Babylon story if it didn't. Not after training under Dog Days, Girls und Panzer, and Ginga Majestic Prince.
Thanks for leaving that Muv-Luv Stratos field to us! As soon as we finished my Code Geass/Muv-Luv fic (and another Muv-Luv for me, and a Code Geass belong to my twin), which we calculated could take to... 10 years!!! - we would try to tackle with an I.S death-fic! At least I don't think I.S would be that long!

Anyway, agree with you, the author is a bit too greedy. But do you guy think it would be much easier if IS was a VN, like Muv-Luv?
Old 2013-07-21, 10:09   Link #44768
MeisterBabylon
~ Ping For Effect ~
*Author

Quote:
Thanks for leaving that Muv-Luv Stratos field to us! As soon as we finished my Code Geass/Muv-Luv fic (and another Muv-Luv for me, and a Code Geass belong to my twin), which we calculated could take to... 10 years!!! - we would try to tackle with an I.S death-fic! At least I don't think I.S would be that long!

Anyway, agree with you, the author is a bit too greedy. But do you guy think it would be much easier if IS was a VN, like Muv-Luv?
Make it so, Ensign Miner.

Yeah, it could've benefitted as a game where you can play as the characters, and then you choose one route to follow. Turning the anime around into several mini-arcs within the same time period pursuing each girl in exclusion would be nice and personal, too. Think Amagami, not the loooooooong list of "here's a guy and 7 gals and some poorly thought of lols" that came before it. That's another way I could do the IS anime, but it would be sacrificing the mecha really, as this arc system would remove any reason for the mecha to exist.

Another way would be to approach the topic like BALDR Force: have them in a combat unit, and see them through. But this sacrifices the high school setting.

Yet another way would be Full Metal Panic! However, that suffers from "its been done before."

The way to do a balanced approach would mean that the characters also have to do some heavy-lifting, which means the series gets rebooted...

See the conundrum I'm facing? I can't touch the main cast without throwing something out the window!

Old 2013-07-21, 10:26   Link #44769
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author

...It's looking pretty grim to you, I say. It's all a matter of frame: Each Anime was build with a core idea and then surronded by a world specially for it. What you are thinking it basically modified the core - and warn you! That is a long and painful process!
That is also the reason I prefer Gundam and Code Geass over most mecha anime. Sure, Valvrave is fun, Majestic Prince is explosive, and Gargantina is deep; but these two series, they have the power and material to make the audiance's mind go beyond it!
Old 2013-07-21, 11:10   Link #44770
demino_hellsin
That one guy

AU enough?

http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost...ostcount=17776
demino_hellsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-21, 17:00   Link #44771
ZeroXSEED
I am no one

If I will pull alien invasion card, I'll not choose muvluv

The classic man, 100% less grimdark without losing the essence (harsh reality, and shitton of casualties). Basically, GPM choose the 'bright future' while muvluv has 'grim present' approach.
Old 2013-07-21, 17:02   Link #44772
demino_hellsin
That one guy

I actually push vandread as ideal xover with IS
Old 2013-07-21, 17:05   Link #44773
ZeroXSEED
I am no one

Yeah, that show where gender barrier taken to logical extreme

Had yet to find time to watch it.
Old 2013-07-21, 17:14   Link #44774
demino_hellsin
That one guy

And illogical as well. The premise is even more absurd and prone to mindless harem antics but there is more subtance to it than IS.
Old 2013-07-21, 17:20   Link #44775
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by demino_hellsin View Post
AU, but not my style.

Vandread and IS - good combination!

Also, does anyone know an anime which the main character is a samura novice living on a mountain (kind of like Yaiba), going to the city to live in a dojo which is managed by the dojo master's daughters?
Old 2013-07-21, 19:49   Link #44776
MeisterBabylon
~ Ping For Effect ~
*Author

Quote:
...It's looking pretty grim to you, I say. It's all a matter of frame: Each Anime was build with a core idea and then surronded by a world specially for it. What you are thinking it basically modified the core - and warn you! That is a long and painful process!
Well, let's see what's the core:

1 guy with a unique power to fly mechs joins an academy training girls to fly mechs. Meanwhile, something is happening outside of the academy which occasionally invades the academy's sanctity.

I'm not changing that one bit. I'm just making the characters and plot pacing more enjoyable.

Quote:
That is also the reason I prefer Gundam and Code Geass over most mecha anime. Sure, Valvrave is fun, Majestic Prince is explosive, and Gargantina is deep; but these two series, they have the power and material to make the audiance's mind go beyond it!
I love all mecha equally! Well, some more equally than others!

Old 2013-07-21, 20:00   Link #44777
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author

@MeisterBabylon: Well, just that? You are going to find yourself quite in a mess with that. I mean it's easier to writing emotions in grand events than some small situation.
Old 2013-07-21, 23:53   Link #44778
Strigon 13
Electrosphere

Quote:
@MeisterBabylon: Well, just that? You are going to find yourself quite in a mess with that. I mean it's easier to writing emotions in grand events than some small situation.
Actually (on a personal point anyway) it's quite easy to write emotion centric scenes in small situations (maybe because it's easier to switch to from one PoV to another). I always mess things up in big events or situations.
Old 2013-07-22, 00:12   Link #44779
MeisterBabylon
~ Ping For Effect ~
*Author

Quote:
Yes, it is easier, but it delivers a different kind of effect to what I'm after.

This is just basing off the books and bits of anime that have been published. I'll get to the big stuff later (which almost certainly will be AU because doing anything to a story will, eventually, gather enough butterflies to steer things away from a flimsily written canon piece).

I need people to care about the characters first, know their starting points, otherwise dropping big stuff on undeveloped characters will just have people thinking: "so what?" It also gives me a starting point to mould a character using big and small events.

That's just my writing style though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strigon 13 View Post
Actually (on a personal point anyway) it's quite easy to write emotion centric scenes in small situations (maybe because it's easier to switch to from one PoV to another). I always mess things up in big events or situations.
You're talking about involving less characters per incident. I agree with this sentiment, and I kinda practice that in having character-centric arcs spaced in between major events and sub-climaxes. It allows me to temporarily use a few other characters less so that I can build that link between audience and the character that features in the arc.

Occasionally I'd do several parallel story arcs at once, but again its really about the effect I want to achieve. The right literary tool for the right job.

Old 2013-07-22, 00:35   Link #44780
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author

No IS-kun for today?

Tags
fanfic ideas, fanfiction, ff.net, harem, is fanfic, warning fanfic spoilers, wincest