AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Madoka Magica

Notices

View Poll Results: Madoka Magica - Episode 4 Rating
Perfect 10 48 36.64%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 46 35.11%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 27 20.61%
7 out of 10 : Good 6 4.58%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 1.53%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.76%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 0.76%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2011-01-28, 17:32   Link #161
applejuice
I kill you
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: In your brain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooves View Post
Well of course my idea is merely a speculation, but if she resetted time herself with her one wish. She loses a chance to obtain anything else she "could" have had, so when she reset time. She has another chance to become a magical girl, there we have Homura who remembers Madoka apparently, and wishes to stop Madoka from suffering all those tragic events in the future from happening again.

Maybe I should just take this to the speculation thread.
Now thinking of it....

I personally oppose to that idea, since it will mean that we are never going to see Madoka's transformation properly. D:
__________________
If anyone attacks Shaft
I will be there to defend it to death.
applejuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-28, 17:36   Link #162
Hooves
♣~Sleepy~♣
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Xanadu
Age: 20
Send a message via Skype™ to Hooves
Quote:
Originally Posted by applejuice View Post
Now thinking of it....

I personally oppose to that idea, since it will mean that we are never going to see Madoka's transformation properly. D:
Well we are going to see Madoka's transformation eventually, what is the point of her being a main character of a Masou Shoujo series if the main character doesn't have a proper transformation scene?
__________________
Illya & Miyu from Fate/kaleid liner PRISMA ☆ ILLYAMyAnimeList (Hoovesahoy)
Avatar from: TheEroKing
Signature from: TheEroKing
Hooves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-28, 17:44   Link #163
Kaijo
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
Interesting to consider that if changing reality itself is possible with a wish, then it's highly likely bringing someone back from the dead is possible, as is eliminating all witches and bringing the system down.

In that case, we end up with the idea that this whole thing can be ended with a simple wish.
Kaijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-28, 18:11   Link #164
Mentar
Sore wa himitsu desu!
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Hamburg
Age: 44
Yup, wasting my time. Shortening my reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaijo View Post
The wish system, and how no one has brought up whether bringing back Mami with a wish is possible. Nor ending the series right here and now.
Since we have no clue what wishes are possible or not (QB's salesman pitch exaggeration "anything goes" hardly counts in my book), this is completely irrelevant and no plot hole. We simply _don't_ _know_ _yet_.

Quote:
No, you have it wrong. It's not that no girl wished for it, but that no one even considered it. That's called passing the idiot ball. Even if, for whatever reason, it's not followed through on, it still needs to be addressed.
And that's a plot hole in your brain only because in your world

1) you refuse to acknowledge that the sacrifice for getting this wish is extremely high
2) you refuse to acknowledge that it's perfectly logical to conclude that Madoka's apology to Mami _implies_ that she _has_ considered the wish, but feels too weak to do it

You have been so hardwired on the whole "Mami must be resurrected by a wish" since ep3 that now, that the show did not follow your theory, it automatically became a plot hole. For YOU. Not for those people who were correct.

Quote:
I don't ignore it at all. Madoka was told from day 1 what a magical girl is all about. Despite that, she still wanted to do it, and now suddenly she doesn't. If it was selfless as you claim, then she should still want to do it. After all, the rationale is still there: she can still help people. Why doesn't she do it, then? Because she doesn't want to risk her life.
She _does_ still want to do it, why do you believe she's been crying a river? She just feels _powerless_. She _cannot_ do it because she's too afraid.

Quote:
We can go with 9/11 conspiracy theories, too. You know the ones: people who call us fools for not noticing all the signs that point to it being an inside job by the government, order by the illuminati at the behest of aliens. You don't see the signs?
Don't you feel like a fool for that? I made the predictions _before_ they happened, not after. And the same continues here - we analyze what's given to us, speculate what's going to happen, and then see where we were right and wrong. Adjust our theories to what new stuff we learned, and repeat. You did that, and I did that. You were wrong, I was right. It may be reversed next time, though - reading our exchange - I don't think so.

Quote:
We're not talking about what develops; we're talking about Madoka's motivations. You want to claim Sayaka's as selfish, and Madoka's as selfless, when the facts as they are don't support that. For the record, I can see them as either, but you have to acknowledge that either both are selfish, or that both are selfless, by whatever criteria you use.
I have to? Because you say so? *suppresses a snort*

Let's just wait and see, shall we? The scriptwriter probably tossed Homura's "MGs don't fight for good, they fight for themselves and their wishes" for fun.

Quote:
I don't know whether your predictions will be correct or not. Frankly, I don't care too much. What I'm talking about, is what is happening now, and what should be addressed in order to make it a good story.
And I was the arrogant one. Words fail me. I'll ask Urobuchi Gen to consult you earlier.
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-28, 18:13   Link #165
Vanish
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Age: 22
Send a message via Skype™ to Vanish
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooves View Post
Well we are going to see Madoka's transformation eventually, what is the point of her being a main character of a Masou Shoujo series if the main character doesn't have a proper transformation scene?
That made me grin, you watched too much Kore wa Zombie Desu ka? Can't get Haruna-chan out of your head I bet. /jk
Vanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-28, 18:14   Link #166
Hooves
♣~Sleepy~♣
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Xanadu
Age: 20
Send a message via Skype™ to Hooves
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaijo View Post
Interesting to consider that if changing reality itself is possible with a wish, then it's highly likely bringing someone back from the dead is possible, as is eliminating all witches and bringing the system down.

In that case, we end up with the idea that this whole thing can be ended with a simple wish.
The problem that the girl's don't see of actually wishing for that is greed, desire, wealth, or merely being clumsy-headed that they don't see this as a possibility. Some might not have foreseen the events they were bringing themselves in before the wish, or don't think at all after all the horrors they have seen after witnessing witches up close without being a magical girl yet.
__________________
Illya & Miyu from Fate/kaleid liner PRISMA ☆ ILLYAMyAnimeList (Hoovesahoy)
Avatar from: TheEroKing
Signature from: TheEroKing
Hooves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-28, 19:00   Link #167
Xellos-_^
Married
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: R'lyeh
Age: 38
Everyone, a Moment of Silence for Sayaka.

Either being squish like a bug or have her heart broken and become a witch.
__________________
Xellos-_^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-28, 19:06   Link #168
Kaijo
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
Yup, wasting my time. Shortening my reply.
One could say the same thing about, consider there are still quite a few questions you are dodging. And yet, despite you feel you are wasting your time, you're still responding. Interesting. Note that I actually feel that debates and conversations are worthy goals, and communication can be hard sometimes, so I keep at it. You feel free to do what you wish.

Quote:
Since we have no clue what wishes are possible or not (QB's salesman pitch exaggeration "anything goes" hardly counts in my book), this is completely irrelevant and no plot hole. We simply _don't_ _know_ _yet_.
Once again, you haven't even looked into The Neverending Story 2 and 3 to learn why this is a bad thing. I'd ask you to even address this, but I predict you won't. Oh, let's watch my prediction come true!

Quote:
And that's a plot hole in your brain only because in your world

1) you refuse to acknowledge that the sacrifice for getting this wish is extremely high
2) you refuse to acknowledge that it's perfectly logical to conclude that Madoka's apology to Mami _implies_ that she _has_ considered the wish, but feels too weak to do it
Once again, you aren't reading what I said. I hate to have to spell this out again, so please try to pay attention this time. The cost of the wish is irrelevant. Again, I have spelled this out as the way to handle this. They could very easily show Madoka going, "Could I wish Mami back? I might be able to... but then I'd have to fight for the rest of my life, and I can't do that!"

That's all I ask. Consideration. Proof that a logical thought is going through her mind. I don't ask that she follow through on it, which, for some reason, you keep thinking I do.

Your #2 point is pure conjecture. You have no evidence to support it. It could be what she's thinking, but we don't know. This is another point you keep avoiding. Cite your evidence or retract your statement. I predict that you will do neither. Oh hey, I can make accurate predictions, too!

Quote:
You have been so hardwired on the whole "Mami must be resurrected by a wish" since ep3 that now, that the show did not follow your theory, it automatically became a plot hole. For YOU. Not for those people who were correct.
I will repeat this again, and try to speak it out loud this time: "I only want the concept to be addressed, not that it's possible." For all I know, it IS impossible. Perhaps the wish system is limited.

We don't know. But that's exactly why it should be addressed. Are you familiar with what "elephant in the room" means?

Quote:
She _does_ still want to do it, why do you believe she's been crying a river? She just feels _powerless_. She _cannot_ do it because she's too afraid.
[citation needed] I predict you will provide none. Because from where I'm standing, she told Kyube "Sorry." That seems to imply she doesn't want to do it.

Quote:
Don't you feel like a fool for that? I made the predictions _before_ they happened, not after. And the same continues here - we analyze what's given to us, speculate what's going to happen, and then see where we were right and wrong. Adjust our theories to what new stuff we learned, and repeat. You did that, and I did that. You were wrong, I was right. It may be reversed next time, though - reading our exchange - I don't think so.
You're the one making the predictions. Why would I feel like a fool for making none? in fact, I made *none* prior to this episode. You might be confusing me with someone else.

Quote:
I have to? Because you say so? *suppresses a snort*
You're the one who wants to call Sayaka selfish and Madoka selfless. Considering Sayaka made her wish to help someone, taking on the role of an MG and all that entails, I'd call her wish pretty damn selfless. Note that it was the same wish she was considering before. That implies a greater consideration for other people over herself.

Madoka wanted to be an MG to help people, according to you; and that is partially true. But she doesn't anymore, because she's afraid for herself. That implies a greater consideration for herself, then other people.

Quote:
Let's just wait and see, shall we? The scriptwriter probably tossed Homura's "MGs don't fight for good, they fight for themselves and their wishes" for fun.
Well, you're the only one making predictions about the show here. I'm not, at least not so much. Anything I toss out is a guess, but I'm not too terribly attached to them. I toss them out mainly as possibilities.

Quote:
And I was the arrogant one. Words fail me. I'll ask Urobuchi Gen to consult you earlier.
Well, you're the one who wants to insist you're correct. From where I'm standing, you're the arrogant one. I'm only talking about things that have already happened; I tend to work better that way, since I prefer facts.
Kaijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-28, 19:47   Link #169
Archon_Wing
Throw it on the ground
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Age: 30
Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Angst central+ monsters that attack the budget. Not bad really. I'm still not too fond of the battle imagery, but the characters are progressing very well. 8/10

Well this sucks. They've been told how horrible this is, but if Sayaka didn't do it, bad shit would happen. I feel really sorry for Madoka, as the pressure is now enormous. If she doesn't get the powers she's helpless against threats she knows is all around. If she does, she's probaly screwed, and now her friend is picking up the slack.

Next episode features a rival that's already out to knock her off. Aye. This show is gonna depress the hell out of me by the end.
__________________
You just try again... through the darkness.You just go away... the future is waiting for us!
Avatar and Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480 (Stormbluff Isle)
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-28, 20:28   Link #170
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: USA
Age: 28
Oh man. This is... so crazy. Sayaka is totally dead after her boyfriend will crush her, if we even get that far. I think this new girl will be the one to do it too. We saw a witch do it, now we need another MG, this way Madoka learns about the dangers of both sides.

This is turning out to be great show. I have a feeling I will be a little depressed as well, but not that much. I am not connecting with the characters very well. It won't be like in other series where the I'll be going noo.
DragoZERO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-28, 20:35   Link #171
Triple_R
Center Attraction
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Age: 33
Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
Oh man. This is... so crazy. Sayaka is totally dead after her boyfriend will crush her, if we even get that far. I think this new girl will be the one to do it too. We saw a witch do it, now we need another MG, this way Madoka learns about the dangers of both sides.

This is turning out to be great show. I have a feeling I will be a little depressed as well, but not that much. I am not connecting with the characters very well. It won't be like in other series where the I'll be going noo.
Having both of these thoughts at the same time really does not compute with me.

I mean, if you're not connecting with any of the characters, then how is this a great show in your opinion?


I think that Madoka is a pretty good show, but then I am connecting with some of the characters.
__________________
Triple_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-28, 20:49   Link #172
Dark Wing
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Age: 28
Well one dose not really have to connect to the characters to be entertained by a story sometimes it can be the way a story unfolds thats enough for entertainment.

Also I feel some of people are being a little too hard on Madoka for not considering wishing Mami back from the dead. She had just watched something horrifying happen to a person doing the exact thing she was thinking of doing only a few moments ago. Do you really think she would be thinking of wishing for that when in fact she is afraid to wish for anything at all at this point.
__________________
Dark Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-28, 20:53   Link #173
Kaijo
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Wing View Post
Also I feel some of people are being a little too hard on Madoka for not considering wishing Mami back from the dead. She had just watched something horrifying happen to a person doing the exact thing she was thinking of doing only a few moments ago. Do you really think she would be thinking of wishing for that when in fact she is afraid to wish for anything at all at this point.
On the contrary, if she were afraid to make that wish, I would understand. I only ask that the writers address it.

Hell, I would have been expecting Kyube to go, "You can wish someone back from the dead if you like." Would make a tempting recruitment offer, and let the audience know it's possible. It goes along with the audience wanting to know what the limits of the wish are, if any.

The longer it goes on, the more likely we are led to believe that anything is possible. And thus, the writers could hold out until the end, where a character makes a wish to make everything right again.
Kaijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-28, 21:03   Link #174
Triple_R
Center Attraction
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Age: 33
Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Wing View Post
Well one dose not really have to connect to the characters to be entertained by a story sometimes it can be the way a story unfolds thats enough for entertainment.
Speaking personally, I have to disagree.

If a story fails to make me care about any of its characters, then there's no way I'd find that story entertaining.
__________________
Triple_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-28, 21:06   Link #175
totoum
Gamer
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Age: 26
Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaijo View Post
It's just that wish systems in stories have huge potential to make the characters stupid in order for the plot to work *coughcoughNEVERENDINGSTORY2AND3coughcough*. I'd rather not see that happen here.
Ok havn't seen both in quite a while so hopefully I havn't forgotten too much (though honestly,I've been trying to forget they exist )

In NES2 &3 the protagonist has unlimited number of wishes and wishes were "free" there was nothing to pay back.

That's definatly not the case here,you've got 1wish and it pretty much comes at the price of turning your life into hell.

So even if not told outright the reason to not make a wish,the audience knowing about the price to pay for such a wish can make a reasonable guess,that was not the case with NES2 &3.
__________________
totoum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-28, 21:07   Link #176
Dark Wing
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaijo View Post
On the contrary, if she were afraid to make that wish, I would understand. I only ask that the writers address it.

Hell, I would have been expecting Kyube to go, "You can wish someone back from the dead if you like." Would make a tempting recruitment offer, and let the audience know it's possible. It goes along with the audience wanting to know what the limits of the wish are, if any.

The longer it goes on, the more likely we are led to believe that anything is possible. And thus, the writers could hold out until the end, where a character makes a wish to make everything right again.
Well that sadly fall on the writers to deiced if they want to explore that route or not. Who knows maybe they feel it would be kind of hard to tell a story about consequences when people can just go around bring each other back to life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Speaking personally, I have to disagree.

If a story fails to make me care about any of its characters, then there's no way I'd find that story entertaining.
Well thats you personally however not ever one else will feel the same way. Hell I remember when Higurashi no Naku Koro ni first aired most viewer cared more about the horrifying deaths then the actual characters that when season two came around most people stopped watching because there was no more "LOL STAB LOLI STAB!" going on.
__________________
Dark Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-28, 21:09   Link #177
broken270
Defying gravity
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Spoiler:


Speculation
Spoiler:
broken270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-28, 21:13   Link #178
Funkatron
King of the Castle
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Age: 32
Send a message via Skype™ to Funkatron
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
The official site states they're childhood friends, so I don't think she was just audience for him.

But I agree about the theme of facing reality. In fact, I think Madoka's previous wish of being a MG was escaping reality too. She wanted to gain self-worth by being an MG. But now she's changing, now she's taking the reins of her life by her own, no magic involved. I like the message on that.
Thats true but at the same time she sees first hand now the problems caused by witches. She almost lost a friend in episode 4 and almost died in the process of saving her and others. She can't unsee or ignore the threat of witches: I think that was the main point of the episode. That's a reality she'll have to deal with as well.

@Kaijo: I'm with you. You can't assume that she's even thinking of bringing Mami back if there is no evidence that shows she's even thinking it. She never addresses it. Kyubee never addresses it. Sayaka never addresses it. Heck, I'd expect Homura to warn her not to do it out of grief. It's never addressed and no one even hints of thinking about it, wanting to do it or even mentioning it. Thats what Kaijo is trying to say. We can infer that it is a possibility but we can't infer if they are even considering it since it hasn't been mentioned at all.

Last edited by Funkatron; 2011-01-28 at 21:27.
Funkatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-28, 21:35   Link #179
Kazu-kun
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkatron View Post
Thats true but at the same time she sees first hand now the problems caused by witches. She almost lost a friend in episode 4 and almost died in the process of saving her and others. She can't unsee or ignore the threat of witches: I think that was the main point of the episode. That's a reality she'll have to deal with as well.
Maybe, but now we have not one but two MG in town. That's one MG too many, so I don't think there's going to be a need for a new one for the time being. For now, I don't think Madoka is going feel too pressured to become one herself. Her time will come much later on I think.
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic39230_3.gif
Kazu-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-28, 21:38   Link #180
Funkatron
King of the Castle
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Age: 32
Send a message via Skype™ to Funkatron
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
Maybe, but now we have not one but two MG in town. That's one MG too many, so I don't think there's going to be a need for a new one for the time being. For now, I don't think Madoka is going feel too pressured to become one herself.
True but eventually the hero inside her is going to come out if anyone else that is close to her gets lured in by a witch. Heck, I was expecting Kyubee to show up when she locked herself in that room and for her to make the decision to save her green-haired friend (name escapes me) right then and there.
Funkatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:12.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.