AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2011-01-30, 22:22   Link #1
Taufiq91
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Xebec: Studio discussion, speculation, and whatnot

I started watching Martian Successor Nadesico, and seeing how awesome it was made me feel sad for the company behind it.

I mean,

they went from this.....



to this.....



And you know what? It's been 5 years since Xebec announced they would never make a sequel to Stellvia & Nadesico, and within those 5 years the only i enjoyed by Xebec is MM! And that's because it has Tomokazu Sugita, Ayana Taketatsu & really funny hentai jokes which covers up certain bad aspects of it like the animation.

What happened Xebec? You were even involved in the animation of Evangelion with Kyoto Animation and SHAFT, and look at KyoAni & SHAFT! For a company that is under Production IG, i don't seeing anything IG-ish about Xebec's animes currently.
__________________
Taufiq91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-30, 23:19   Link #2
Ichihara Asako
Horoist
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
They certainly have gone downhill when you look back at Stellvia and Nadesico and then forward to the likes of Kanokon and TLR.

It's probably just a matter of cutting back and sticking to what sells, which atm is largely ecchi. I'm really not sure, but it does disappoint me a great deal. I'd love a Stellvia sequel more than anything else I can think of (that would be a natural continuation, not forced milking).
Ichihara Asako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-30, 23:25   Link #3
Taufiq91
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichihara Asako View Post
They certainly have gone downhill when you look back at Stellvia and Nadesico and then forward to the likes of Kanokon and TLR.

It's probably just a matter of cutting back and sticking to what sells, which atm is largely ecchi. I'm really not sure, but it does disappoint me a great deal. I'd love a Stellvia sequel more than anything else I can think of (that would be a natural continuation, not forced milking).
But if they want to make ecchi they could make ecchi in forms like Strike Witches or a Gurren Lagann-esque anime filled with 50 Yoko Littners jiggling around with giant mechas instead of basic "LOOK! BOOBS!" animes like Rio! RainbowGate.

I don't mind ecchi and fanservice. In fact, i'm a HUGE fan of ecchi and fanservice, especially if they're funny & ironic. but if you have a studio that was responsible for Nadesico, love Hina & Stellvia, you expect better!
__________________
Taufiq91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-30, 23:33   Link #4
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 56
Aye, there's "quality" ecchi... and then there's this really lame cut-rate stuff. Companies tend to be secretive... but you'd probably find that key people with vision left the company.... or were forced out by someone with more power than brains.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-30, 23:45   Link #5
Ichihara Asako
Horoist
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taufiq91 View Post
I don't mind ecchi and fanservice. In fact, i'm a HUGE fan of ecchi and fanservice, especially if they're funny & ironic.
Don't get me wrong, I love ecchi, but only when it's rationalised, not just t&a for the hell of it. Or shows dedicated to it while fobbing off a real story (like Kanokon, had a little bit of promising development and threw it away for more "cake").
Ichihara Asako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-30, 23:52   Link #6
TJR
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Xebec is wholly owned by IG Port (the management/holding company created for Production I.G.), which probably has a big impact on the company's direction.

During the 90s, I.G. focused on movies and OVAs, while Xebec handled the TV end of things. However, starting last decade, I.G. shifted directions to become a powerhouse producer of TV anime.

If I had to guess, Xebec may have become somewhat redundant at this point, with I.G. diverting most of its financing to the flagship studio/brand. That would leave the former as a go-to studio for low grade anime (which still helps the group as a whole. Most production houses depend on a mix of flagship projects and cheap cash-ins to balance cash flow, whereas IG Port can let each studio specialize in one area of the business).
TJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-30, 23:52   Link #7
Mizuno
Undefined
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: With the gods
Age: 30
Send a message via MSN to Mizuno
Nadesico looks like a show in this gen when compared to Rio... that's how bad it looks, to me anyway.
Mizuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-30, 23:57   Link #8
Quarkboy
Anime Translator
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Tokyo, Japan
Age: 34
Send a message via AIM to Quarkboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJR View Post
Xebec is wholly owned by IG Port (the management/holding company created for Production I.G.), which probably has a big impact on the company's direction.

During the 90s, I.G. focused on movies and OVAs, while Xebec handled the TV end of things. However, starting last decade, I.G. shifted directions to become a powerhouse producer of TV anime.

If I had to guess, Xebec may have become somewhat redundant at this point, with I.G. diverting most of its financing to the flagship studio/brand. That would leave the former as a go-to studio for low grade anime (which still helps the group as a whole. Most production houses depend on a mix of flagship projects and cheap cash-ins to balance cash flow, whereas IG Port can let each studio specialize in one area of the business).
This.

Xebec is basically IG Prod.'s B-team now.
__________________
Yomiuri Television Enterprise
International Media Strategy Chief
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-31, 00:03   Link #9
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarkboy View Post
This.

Xebec is basically IG Prod.'s B-team now.
To be completely honest, I keep getting the impression that IG gives Xebec whatever projects they don't want to be associated with Production IG's name. Meaning: pretty much all their ecchi stuff.
__________________

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-31, 00:35   Link #10
Xellos-_^
Married
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: R'lyeh
Age: 38
why not just make Hentai, doesn't that make more cash then ecchi?
__________________
Xellos-_^ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-31, 00:41   Link #11
Taufiq91
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizuno View Post
Nadesico looks like a show in this gen when compared to Rio... that's how bad it looks, to me anyway.
To be honest i had more fun watching Nadesico than the post-North Maiden episodes of Star Driver.
__________________
Taufiq91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-31, 00:51   Link #12
SilverSyko
The Anti-Otaku
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Alberta, Canada
Age: 22
Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSyko
Seems pretty simple to me, they're just making incredibly stupid choices.

If they wanna run their company into the ground then they can for all I care if that's the case.
__________________
SilverSyko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-31, 04:57   Link #13
Taufiq91
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
why not just make Hentai, doesn't that make more cash then ecchi?
Why not just make real porn, doesn't that make more cash then hentai?
__________________
Taufiq91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-31, 06:24   Link #14
Khu
そんなやさしくしないで。。。
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: NSW, Australia
Age: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taufiq91 View Post
Why not just make real porn, doesn't that make more cash then hentai?
We might be on to their business scheme, guys.

In 5 years they'll phase through to hentai; then another 10 and they'll jump to real porn.

I said it first here, folks.

But yeah, Xebec used to have really great anime...though I guess it's the same as a publishers in the gaming industry - when you have multiple studios, you push out low cost cash converters through small studios and big blockbuster games through your well known developers.
Khu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-31, 06:49   Link #15
Chaos2Frozen
The Evil Within
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Drangelic, or by a different name...
Age: 25
I must be missing something here, but if they don't want those project, why do they even pick it up in the first place?
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-31, 08:56   Link #16
Pocari_Sweat
Basketball > Chickens
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Australia
Age: 26
Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
I'm watching an anime called Mnemosyne which is by Xebec. Contains quite a lot of ero-gore fanservice. It does have pretty good characters with a reasonable plot for the grim dark/supernatural genre though. Granted this was made in 2006-07?
__________________
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-31, 08:57   Link #17
Taufiq91
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
I must be missing something here, but if they don't want those project, why do they even pick it up in the first place?
Well, it's like a delivered package you don't want but instead of throwing it away or returning it to the sender, you give it to a relative whom you think can do something about it.

It's basically how IG/XEBEC relationships go nowadays.
__________________
Taufiq91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-31, 19:50   Link #18
Kameruka
Hen-Tie
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Hen-Tie pen
While Shaft is a bad studio, XEBEC is even worse. They screwed lots of good mangas. As example only first 6 episodes of To Love-Ru followed its manga while all of others are fillers. Elemental Gelade looks nothing like its manga at all.
Kameruka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-31, 20:05   Link #19
Taufiq91
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kameruka View Post
While Shaft is a bad studio, XEBEC is even worse. They screwed lots of good mangas. As example only first 6 episodes of To Love-Ru followed its manga while all of others are fillers. Elemental Gelade looks nothing like its manga at all.
true true.

And like i've said, the only thing XEBEC has done in the past 5 years that is remotely decent is MM!

That's it.
__________________
Taufiq91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-31, 21:39   Link #20
Echoes
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: In line to confess his sins.
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taufiq91 View Post
true true.

And like i've said, the only thing XEBEC has done in the past 5 years that is remotely decent is MM!

That's it.
I don't agree with that at all. At the very least I think that "remotely decent" has to be an example of hyperbole.

Pandora Hearts was good, I thought. Zombie Loan was quite alright, and someone already mentioned Mnemosyne in this thread, which I found to be very good.

But it's not surprising that I disagree with you, given that I thought MM! was absolutely horrible. Xebec isn't a great studio overall, but I don't think they should be dismissed entirely. Of course, it's all a matter of taste.
__________________
Echoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:58.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.