AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2012-12-20, 17:53   Link #361
totoum
Gamer

Send a message via MSN to totoum
So am I understanding this correctly,noitamina will re air katanagatari this spring and that's it?

If so does anyone have any speculation as to why this decision was made?
Old 2012-12-20, 18:23   Link #362
TJR

Your guess is as good as mine. Katanagatari was a joint Aniplex/Fuji TV project, so their purpose is to promote the upcoming BD boxset. If nothing else, a weekly broadcast schedule, along with on-going momentum from Nisemonogatari/Nekomonogatari might attract more viewers.

However, re-airing the series on noitaminA is certainly odd. Maybe they're reducing their investment in new content for next year.
TJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-20, 19:48   Link #363
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Shaka, when the walls fell.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-20, 19:57   Link #364
Triple_R
Center Attraction

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
I wonder if the gradually lowering ratings finally caught up to them...

Sad if it's the case, but I could imagine it being so. A little surprising though since many of the best-selling (on Blu-Ray/DVD) noitaminA shows were recent ones.
Old 2012-12-20, 20:59   Link #365
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Rather than this atrocity, if it was desperation time I'd rather have seen them resort to an AnoHana sequel - at least it would be new material for a really good show, even if its one that ended where it should have. And it wouldn't have taken the entire block.

It's tempting to view this as the concession speech by NoitaminA, that it's finally over - the pessimist in me certainly wants to. But NoitaminA is simply too valuable a resource for me to give up hope. Rationally I can't accept it.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-20, 21:10   Link #366
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
If I were producing noitaminA, I'd try to find a property that met Fuji's standards for the block and could attract the attention of Shinbo and SHAFT. I'm thinking of something like Bakemonogatari. Bake has been an other-worldly property in terms of DVD and BD sales. The average disc sold over 75,000 units, usually 2/3 of them Biu-rays. In 2010 discs 4-6 each sold over 55,000 BDs putting them at the top of the list for television series. Madoka's six discs have sold at an equivalent pace.
Guess I got the wrong -gatari, and the wrong studio of course. Still....
Old 2012-12-21, 03:20   Link #367
Dop
We can't stop here...

Oh Noitamina, can this really be the end?

In the spring and summer seasons, I started to feel that Noitamina had got their groove back, but this announcement looks more like they're throwing in the towel.

Ever since Honey and Clover and with only one or two exceptions the Noitamina slot has been full of shows that I've really liked, but this announcement is both surprising and saddening.

There may be circumstances we don't know of behind this decision, but really unless they've got something special lined up for the summer season, it does look like the end of an era.
Dop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-21, 12:28   Link #368
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I would very sad to see noitaminA go. I've been watching noitaminA anime religiously ever since I discovered the black back in 2007, and I've rarely been disappointed (I would have liked to say never, but there was the beginning of this year...). The name noitaminA has always been synonymous with different and/or quality anime to me.

It's a shame the block can't seem to be able to find its audience. I'm not sure what could be done to salvage it...
Old 2012-12-21, 13:00   Link #369
bahamut zero
miragecoordinator

Maybe it's misinformation, when does noitamina normally announce their new series?
Old 2012-12-21, 15:59   Link #370
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahamut zero View Post
Maybe it's misinformation, when does noitamina normally announce their new series?
Well...it's on the noitanimA website.

Personally, whilst I would like a couple of new noitaminA shows (especially in the Spring season), having seen all of Katanagatari myself, I actually find it quite fitting for the slot. Some of the different styles that the studio, White Fox, tried (episode 7 is a good example), and more importantly, some of the themes, are similar to what I've come to expect and enjoy from noitaminA.

You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.
- Patrick Stokes

Last edited by karice67; 2012-12-21 at 16:11.
karice67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-21, 21:23   Link #371
Marcus H.
Hunk o' Burning Love

This just proves that the inspiration for great anime (story, sales or rating-wise) need not rely on a particular timeslot.

At least you tried, noitaminA. At least you tried.

Contact me on Wikia, MyAnimeList and Hummingbird.
MyAnimeList Status|| Watching: 36. Completed: 214. Plan to watch: 33.

Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-22, 18:30   Link #372
AHH
クレアクレアクレアクレア!

... so a solid series that isn't exactly bereft of qualities that were seen in the timeslot's earlier years is set to rerun and now everyone thinks Noitamina is over. Is it going to be the Noitamina apocalypse every single season or something? Why is this so terrible just because it's not a new series? A series like Katanagatari, even if it is a rerun, seems like a way better idea for the timeslot than Black Rock Shooter or Guilty Crown ever did.

Je t'appelle, nuit, rends moi tes mensonges
AHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-22, 19:12   Link #373
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

In my opinion Katanagatari is a very good show. However, this means that there is officially no new noitamina content next season and that is extremely disconcerting because the block has been struggling to maintain its financial situation in recent years. The reason we have seen Ano Hana and Guilty Crown and BRS and the like is because they needed to draw in a new audience into the time block. Ano Hana was a nice success, and GC was so-so a financial success (Yes it's a horrid show I know), but a lot of these other shows have not done too well. One has to wonder how much life the block has left when they cannot even resort to more otaku inclined shows for new content and instead reair things. It gives cause for pessimism and rightfully so.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-22, 23:32   Link #374
ahelo
Criminal Unrequitor
*Graphic Designer

This is a bit disappointing but, well, what can we do? When the programming block that promised on airing anime that had little possibility of becoming anime originally started airing otaku material, you knew they were starting to get desperate. Even with stuff like Robotics;Notes and Psycho Pass airing, their ratings won't go up anymore. I don't want to be a hater but it really looks like this block is about to die soon.
Old 2012-12-22, 23:52   Link #375
Marcus H.
Hunk o' Burning Love

Think about it, though. noitaminA may just be a feasibility study, and we just proved that we don't need a noitaminA to create a series that can be embraced by everyone, even the normals (noitaminA was in a comatose stage the moment it got shoved into a late night timeslot like most anime).

The problem with timeslots still remains, with or without noitaminA.

Old 2012-12-23, 00:25   Link #376
Westlo
Lets be reality

Watch Katanagatari get better ratings lol.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-23, 01:13   Link #377
totoum
Gamer

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
(noitaminA was in a comatose stage the moment it got shoved into a late night timeslot like most anime).
It's always been in a late night slot (24:35 at first and now 24:45)

Also Katanagatari is an aniplex show,the last few years the timeslot has been split between toho doing one show and aniplex another,wonder if Toho is calling it quits.
Old 2012-12-23, 05:34   Link #378
cyth
ふひひ

What is a timeslot without new content? Nothing at all.
Old 2012-12-23, 07:08   Link #379
Marcus H.
Hunk o' Burning Love

^ Another question: how the heck would you be able to cater to the general audience if your timeslot is the same as most anime series anyway?

Old 2012-12-23, 07:28   Link #380
Triple_R
Center Attraction

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
Think about it, though. noitaminA may just be a feasibility study, and we just proved that we don't need a noitaminA to create a series that can be embraced by everyone, even the normals (noitaminA was in a comatose stage the moment it got shoved into a late night timeslot like most anime).
How did we prove that? Which series are you referring to? I'm genuinely curious.

Anyway, I agree with Reckoner and cyth on this one.

I know that in North America, it's fairly typical for tv stations to have re-runs in the Summer. But I'm not sure if that applies to tv in Japan. And even it does, this isn't the Summer - it's the Spring, which typically is the biggest season of the year for anime (closely followed by Fall).