AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-01-30, 10:35   Link #2101
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Well it could also be possible that the name "Last Exile" as in Presters Exile ship could have been the very last one built or the last one to leave earth. If that is the case it could be technologically more advanced than the other Exiles we have seen. Usually the last design of a series is more advanced cause the designers can get rid flaws and improve on the technology. The fact that Presters "Exile" looks so different to others is another indication.
Old 2012-01-30, 10:38   Link #2102
azarhal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
Anyone still identified where on Earth that is? Can be the Black Sea for all I know...
It's an up side down Mediterranean sea merged with the Black Sea. We can see the Red Sea at the top too.

Basically,
Ades = Turkey
Glacies = Northern Africa
Anatoray = France/Belgium/Spain
Sky Pirate land = Greece

But the landmass changed a lot.
azarhal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-30, 11:11   Link #2103
Cosmic Eagle
宿命に全てを奪われた少女

Quote:
Originally Posted by azarhal View Post
It's an up side down Mediterranean sea merged with the Black Sea. We can see the Red Sea at the top too.

Basically,
Ades = Turkey
Glacies = Northern Africa
Anatoray = France/Belgium/Spain
Sky Pirate land = Greece

But the landmass changed a lot.
So Glacies really is the south then.....what happened to turn the Sahara into a thundra worthy of Siberia....
Old 2012-01-30, 14:13   Link #2104
Jokun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
So Glacies really is the south then.....what happened to turn the Sahara into a thundra worthy of Siberia....
Shifting of the Earth's poles most likely, scary thought.
Jokun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-30, 15:11   Link #2105
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Quote:
Gonzo published the map, but I find it too small...
ugh way to small i want one so big i can frame it and hang it on my wall in my house.
Old 2012-01-30, 21:48   Link #2106
stormwaltzing
Little Master

For anybody already anticipating the next OST (since I KNOW I AM AFTER THESE LAST COUPLE OF EPISODES hnngh), amazon.jp has a release date of March 21st.
Old 2012-01-30, 22:33   Link #2107
TheKage

So watching the Funico stream, I don't think we'll see Chaos' Exile. Vasant is "the last-surviving Chaosian" and people have pointed out that she doesn't look like she'd be the Exile key for Chaos... but could the line be so diluted that while the purple eyes are dominant her Guild features are not?
TheKage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-31, 12:32   Link #2108
azarhal

I don't think Guild features have much to do with Exile Key powers passing down the a female relatives line.

I flagged Vasant as an Exile Key since episode 2 actually. She asked a strange questions...
Old 2012-01-31, 12:33   Link #2109
Graveyard Duck
Bag Giver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
Should you even be surprised, as it's been established from the start that the country is THE predominant power on the continent? It has the manpower, resources (from the nations it annexed) and the will to simply trample anything in the skies set against it. And now that they have an Exile, well...
I think the creators in this instance belabored the issue too much. Prior to this set of episodes, we've seen Ades in the following engagements:
1. Ep 1-2: Turan, which is a primary country that it beat easily with an Exile
2. Ep 1: the Kartoffel sky pirates, which tricked them and escaped
3. Ep 3: Notos, which is a side country that it beat easily with its regular military
4. Ep 7: Kartoffel's sky pirates, which escaped with heavy losses after being trapped
5. Ep 8: the Sylvius and a squadron of Glacien fighters, which beat off one Ades fleet
6. Ep 10: Urbanus and Sylvius, the latter of which was taken down with a boarding party

Now eps 11-13 has pit Ades against three separate groups:
1. Ep 11: the Urbanus, which it disabled with a boarding party in short order
2. Ep 12: the Spargel sky pirates, whose base was destroyed
3. Ep 12-13: The Glacien military, which quite different layers of defense forces--a high tech airforce, a dense artillery field, and an Exile--easily beaten with minimal losses to Ades: the provincial fleet that Luscinia wanted to get rid of with Glacien's power, roughly 10% of two of its fleets, and a corner of its Exile.
4. Ep 14: the Kartoffel sky pirates, whose base was destroyed.

Ades has had many engagements in the first half, during which it really only came behind against the Sylvius. It is omnipresent and has an overwhelming advantage in essentially all aspects. While this does establish them as a great threat, the repeated affirmation runs into the problem of overexposure: They are seemingly invincible villains kick around the third parties to show their power while their primary challengers--presumably Anatoray--gets its act ready. It can get tiresome. I would certainly have liked to see Ades suffer a bigger setback when attacking Glacies than Luscinia talking with Sadri about (rather brief) repairs.
Graveyard Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-31, 13:22   Link #2110
azarhal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graveyard Duck View Post
I would certainly have liked to see Ades suffer a bigger setback when attacking Glacies than Luscinia talking with Sadri about (rather brief) repairs.
It wasn't "brief" repairs. They were talking about replenishing their fleet, i.e. staffing and building new warships.
Old 2012-01-31, 13:53   Link #2111
Julio C

Send a message via AIM to Julio C Send a message via MSN to Julio C Send a message via Yahoo to Julio C
So has anybody come up with an idea on what Luscinia may be after up north?

I came up with a few, but some are too far fetch:

1. There might be an emergency command center that controls all Exiles.
2. There is probably a vault or shrine that has all the mysteria for each Exile.
3. More Guild Tech.
Julio C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-31, 13:57   Link #2112
Graveyard Duck
Bag Giver

Quote:
It wasn't "brief" repairs. They were talking about replenishing their fleet, i.e. staffing and building new warships.
Sadri reported:
1. One week to resupply the two fleets that didn't engage the Glacien Exile; and
2. One month to replenish the two that were attacked by the Glacien Exile.

These are very short time frames when you're talking about fleets of capital ships.
Old 2012-01-31, 14:11   Link #2113
Joachim1167

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio C View Post
So has anybody come up with an idea on what Luscinia may be after up north?

I came up with a few, but some are too far fetch:

1. There might be an emergency command center that controls all Exiles.
2. There is probably a vault or shrine that has all the mysteria for each Exile.
3. More Guild Tech.
Santa's workshop? Noooo! Luscinia you evil bastard!

Seriously, those are pretty good ideas you have. Maybe also to wipe out the last Guild stronghold. I can see him wanting revenge on the organization that started the whole Exile program.
Joachim1167 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-31, 17:21   Link #2114
azarhal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graveyard Duck View Post
Sadri reported:
1. One week to resupply the two fleets that didn't engage the Glacien Exile; and
2. One month to replenish the two that were attacked by the Glacien Exile.

These are very short time frames when you're talking about fleets of capital ships.
Which is a statement of how much resources the Ades Federation have (and how many resources they are destroying to build those ships).
Old 2012-01-31, 17:48   Link #2115
Graveyard Duck
Bag Giver

Quote:
Which is a statement of how much resources the Ades Federation have (and how many resources they are destroying to build those ships).
A statement of great industrial capacity and manpower directly affects the military power of a nation as well--in other words, additional threat. Your proposed characterization of the fleet logistics does not solve the problem that Ades has been shown with too much power--it only exacerbates the problem.
Old 2012-01-31, 23:24   Link #2116
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
re Ades' overwhelming superiority: I think it's just one of those things that GONZO thought would look impressive, but never really hammered out the details on plausibility (and sustainability) on. I mean, it's a fleet of floating battleships! And they're fightting other floating battleships. Rule of Awesome at its finest.
Old 2012-02-01, 03:40   Link #2117
DangerMouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormwaltzing View Post
For anybody already anticipating the next OST (since I KNOW I AM AFTER THESE LAST COUPLE OF EPISODES hnngh), amazon.jp has a release date of March 21st.
Thanks a lot for the info I didn't realize it! Freaking awesome, can't wait, I'll definitely be purchasing it again! (Totally agree with you!)

---

Hmm... personally I think the victory is going to be sweeter this way. Anyway I disagree that Ades' military power is not plausible, or that just because it's battleship vs battleship doesn't mean that one side couldn't have much better ships or a much larger fleet, even from the map you can see how much of a world power they are and how much land and resources they likely have compared to the other nations, also I found the fact that Gonzo gave Ades several different generals all with different styles, most of whom are pretty relatable and even likeable and most of whom with quite honorable moments (such as Sadri saluting his ship as it went down, Orang's professional focus on strategies, Kayvan's honorable soldier mentality, Vasant's history and acting as guardian for Sara after her mother died) extremely interesting to watch. There's nothing wrong with it taking an alliance to take down a very powerful nation or the beginnings of a civil war. Also let's not forget that Luscinia and Alauda are right at the top of Ades, and when their plans are really threatened the two of them have at least some level of access to Guild knowledge, technology, and even some Guilders such as Alauda's assassins (even if they keep it separate from Ades most of the time). With all of the nation's they've annexed they are the strongest military power in the world, this was evident even back during the Grand Race when Farahnaz discusses her sins and her attempt to do atleast what's humanly possible to make up for it now pushing for peace. The only reason she has such a position to be able to severely sway whether the world is at war or peace is because Ades is the strongest military power of the world and yet they can ofcourse still be beaten by the right alliance of nations. That it would take an alliance to really push them back is entirely the point, and it's not really the first time something like this has occurred.

Also, about the Ades military power thing, IMO they have also been shown to not be infallibly powerful at various times, they were not entirely ready to counter small vanships as a more serious threat and they had to delay their attack on Glacies until just recently while they perfected their new weapon systems, and prior to those weapons being ready Sadri's ships were completely owned by Glacies in the previous encounter, and that was clearly not the first time they'd realized that Glacies would be a challenge without countermeasures for Glacies unique ships, the only reason the battle went the way it did this time is because Ades was unable to beat Glacies forces before and had to upgrade their ships and now have Turan's Exile. Glacies could have probably done some serious damage before Ades finished development of those weapons, especially if they wanted to make an alliance with another nation for support, but after Ades re-declared war after the assassination they instead chose to go into isolation.

As for allowing Anatoray time, until very recently they didn't even know they existed and it's only been a short two years since they have, from the map our Anatoray settled beyond Glacies territory after returning on their Exile (a country that until just now this last ep Ades has not been able to cross their land) so they would have had to go the opposite way around the globe just to attempt to find their land if they even knew to look for it (we also still don't know how big their territory is), and until ep 8 the Silvius was a completely unknown ship to them still called "Silvius the reaper" with no known affiliation and that they had a difficult time tracking. So they haven't purposely given them time, they were even trying to track the Silvius as early as episode 3. They first fully confirmed their existence merely a couple of episodes ago when they interrupted the alliance ceremony Vincent took part in and confirmed the Silvius' captain as Tatiana and the existence of Anatoray, it's only been a few eps since they confirmed it's existence and at their first opportunity they are already sending their fleets to encounter them so they haven't purposefully given them time, Anatoray has just played their recent arrival and cards well by conducting recon first stealthily with the Silvius and Dio before becoming an active player on the "world stage" and not blindly jumping into the world's conflicts without knowing what was going on first and trying to forge alliances.

As for the travel time thing, I think they've done a good job, some of it is ofcourse that this is a show and there's a limited amount of screentime but with Alauda, I think we could count that he's got a Guild speed booster for his vanship to account for some of that, he can likely get around quite quickly, we could see the speed back in ep 2 when his ship boosted like a real Guild craft, Dio's vanship appeared to have little chance of catching up.

Last edited by DangerMouse; 2012-02-01 at 04:09.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-01, 07:29   Link #2118
azarhal

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
[...]Also, about the Ades military power thing, IMO they have also been shown to not be infallibly powerful at various times,[...]
Ades relied on their heavily armored mega fleet to win fights against smaller countries. Nothing spectacular about it on a technically or strategic point-of-view. They used blunt intimidations over skills in each of their fights (beside Sadri, but he still used outnumbering and got his 1st fleet heavily damaged...by a single ship trying to escape!).
Old 2012-02-01, 08:39   Link #2119
DangerMouse

Quote:
Ades relied on their heavily armored mega fleet to win fights against smaller countries. Nothing spectacular about it on a technically or strategic point-of-view. They used blunt intimidations over skills in each of their fights (beside Sadri, but he still used outnumbering and got his 1st fleet heavily damaged...by a single ship trying to escape!).
Yup, they are not all-powerful.

Yup, by our Silvius.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-01, 09:04   Link #2120
Cosmic Eagle
宿命に全てを奪われた少女

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joachim1167 View Post
Santa's workshop? Noooo! Luscinia you evil bastard!

Seriously, those are pretty good ideas you have. Maybe also to wipe out the last Guild stronghold. I can see him wanting revenge on the organization that started the whole Exile program.
But he's a Guilder himself....

Tags
adventure, science fiction