AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2011-10-15, 23:39   Link #281
rulfo
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2011
I'm kinda happy Animax aired it. Got to watch it yesterday. But I can sense the impending censorship massacre if anything spicy(bloody or whatever) comes up.

In any case good start. I really liked it. It's like it how it was back then. Very nostalgic.

Also...
Maaya Sakamoto + School Food Punishment = awesomeness

This is shaping up to be my personal favorite of the season.

Even with Guilty Crown looking better in some aspects, I still enjoyed this one far more than that.
Here's hoping Gonzo keeps the quality constant.
rulfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-16, 01:05   Link #282
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Kagurazaka, Tokyo
Hmmm - at Animax now, nothing. Sure seems like the right timeslot - maybe you actually have to have the network itself, as in on cable or satellite?
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-16, 02:05   Link #283
JediNight
キズランダム
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Spoiler for Ep1 comments:


Some big VA names for this. Aki Toyosaki, Aoi Yuuki, and the next apparently hot VA after Kana Hanazawa -- Ai Kayano all voice the main cast. Eri Kitamura also returns as Tatiana.

Range Murata obviously is providing character designs once again, Director and Sound are also the same from the original Last Exile.
JediNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-16, 02:10   Link #284
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Where I can learn to be lonely.
Age: 29
Okay when I mentioned the Animax simulcast, I meant on TV. Here's the airing times, based on +8 GMT

Saturday premier: 8pm

Repeats:
Saturday 11:30pm
Sunday 2pm
Sunday 7:30pm
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-16, 02:42   Link #285
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Kagurazaka, Tokyo
Looks like it's 3 days late and the Niconico craptacular latecast, unless someone decides to jump into the fray. Animax in America on my TV ain't happening.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-16, 07:27   Link #286
hyperborealis
Lost at Sea
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Is there a reason Fam - Last Exile has not been subbed yet? Can it really be that no fansub group is interested in subbing this?
hyperborealis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-16, 08:00   Link #287
azarhal
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperborealis View Post
Is there a reason Fam - Last Exile has not been subbed yet? Can it really be that no fansub group is interested in subbing this?
Fansub groups don't sub anything, they just rip simulcast. They are all waiting for Monday when it plays on NicoNico.

What I don't get is why nobody cap Animax-Asia broadcast.
azarhal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-16, 08:04   Link #288
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Where I can learn to be lonely.
Age: 29
The Animax Asia simulcast isn't in HD I think. At least it wasn't when I watched it on the HDTV.

Anyway...

Back Into the Blue Skies (Possible spoilers)

Fam is… a character both very similar and different from Claus. One thing of note is that she’s a girl, and a girl that portrayed very different from standard girly girl heroines. Recent years have shown us how strong willed girls can drive a show (Matsumae Ohana, Tsukishima Aoba, Akashi) and Fam seems to be part of this crop. She is… well… a tomboy. Sleep walking in your underwear so much that you have to be tied to your ship so as not to fall overboard and unknowingly flashing your unmentionables wide-legged is her style. More than the tomboy type, she’s also a sassy and brash type of girl, probably expected for a wrench head pilot. We don’t know much about her for now but we can easily see the fire in her that makes her pilot these ships like Claus did, even in the middle of of combat. She doesn’t say a lot in the pilot content wise, in fact it seems the characters of the opposing nations have more important lines than her for some reason, but her piloting and her courage are the center stage and ultimately steal the episode.

So much so that it has Dio’s attention. The way Dio reacts to her and admires her piloting it very much reminiscent of his bear pathologic infatuation with Claus. Immelman turn aside, assuming this is even the same Dio we know of, Dio knows a lot more about Fam that we are led to know, but of course this is the pilot. The intrigue does not begin and and for just the story, but also for the characters themselves, with Fam in the middle of it all.

Spoiler for Last Exile (original series) Spoilers.:


Also, I think the following shot characterizes Fam rather well.

Spoiler for Episode 1:

Last edited by MeoTwister5; 2011-10-16 at 10:51.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-16, 08:23   Link #289
Westlo
Lets be reality
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by creb View Post
Maybe she was...um....I got nothing.
A famous line from the beginning of Eddie Murphy's Coming to America comes to mind...
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-16, 12:55   Link #290
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: France
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperborealis View Post
Is there a reason Fam - Last Exile has not been subbed yet? Can it really be that no fansub group is interested in subbing this?
They're probably scared of Funi. Sucks big time for those of us who don't have access to any simulcast for this show.
__________________
Mikan & Yami
Kanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-16, 13:06   Link #291
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Kagurazaka, Tokyo
I suspect someone will eventually pick this up, because I know at least one group that doesn't sub simulcasts but does do "latecasts" and it wasn't immediately clear that this would be a latecast.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-16, 18:01   Link #292
octoberasian
Baka Gaijin :P
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Ceridia
Age: 33
Send a message via Skype™ to octoberasian
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I suspect someone will eventually pick this up, because I know at least one group that doesn't sub simulcasts but does do "latecasts" and it wasn't immediately clear that this would be a latecast.
Spoiler:
__________________

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, / I took the one less traveled by.
octoberasian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-16, 19:03   Link #293
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed
 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I suspect someone will eventually pick this up, because I know at least one group that doesn't sub simulcasts but does do "latecasts" and it wasn't immediately clear that this would be a latecast.
Well, you're always the optimist, but I seem to recall the first series not being a big favorite among the community (crazy, I know!). It did get subbed...but those were different days. There were far more actual fansubbers vs most groups now who just clean up and re-word scripts ripped from simulcast shows (assuming they even do that much) and slap it on to a higher quality raw.

It doesn't help that the few true fansubbing groups that actually have real translators on board today haven't seemed to express any interest in Fam, and one of them didn't even list it when looking at a broad overview of Fall shows. As long as I pretend it doesn't air till Sunday evenings/Monday mornings, I think I'll be fine.

The first episode is really similar to the manga, so I was able to follow it pretty well. Plus, I kind of surprised myself at how much I can understand even without the manga translation. I guess a couple decades of watching anime hasn't been a complete waste.

I think fans of the Last Exile will be torn between those who can't get over their wish for a carbon copy and are put off by the lighter tone, and those who can. Initially the evil little voice of negativity was speaking its negative whispers in my brain, but after I stomped on it, I had a lot of fun watching this episode. I'll continue holding off on any substantive comments about it until the subs are out and more people have watched it.

As for anyone who hasn't seen the Last Exile, or has forgotten a lot of what happened (or didn't understand anything when they watched it), I'd suggest reading the timeline of events at: http://lastexile.wikia.com/wiki/Timeline

I think it provides a great introduction to this show.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-16, 19:45   Link #294
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Kagurazaka, Tokyo
I must confess, the hostility towards LE among otaku is something I find rather puzzling. It was a terrific series - maybe it didn't pander to what we think of today as the hot-buttons, but it had great production values and a compelling story. Even given the general love/hate relationship within the community towards Gonzo, it still never made sense to me that it never made more of an impact.

I suspect there was a general resentment that the series became popular with casual fans and even some non-anime fans, and that was unforgivable for some. It's really too bad.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-16, 20:02   Link #295
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Classified
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I must confess, the hostility towards LE among otaku is something I find rather puzzling. It was a terrific series - maybe it didn't pander to what we think of today as the hot-buttons, but it had great production values and a compelling story. Even given the general love/hate relationship within the community towards Gonzo, it still never made sense to me that it never made more of an impact.

I suspect there was a general resentment that the series became popular with casual fans and even some non-anime fans, and that was unforgivable for some. It's really too bad.
Okay, that's just weird. BTW, Enzo, when will the review of the 1st ep of LE Sliver Wing be posted on randomc.net?
__________________
MrTerrorist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-16, 20:15   Link #296
azarhal
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
I'm not sure why LE isn't more popular. From what I read online, most people consider it the best show Gonzo ever did. Also, it didn't lack fanservice. I'm Lavie spend a lot of time showing her midriff, Alvis was a loli with only in a shirt with bloomers and Tatiana/Alister's pilot suit was quite skin tight. The show also had yaoi and shoujo-ai subtexts. Anyway.

*sigh* Russian subs are out already and English speakers need to wait for Monday...

In the mean time, I watched the raw twice and I've been researching the unknown characters shown between Tatiana and Alvis in the OP.

I have read a few theories on 2ch, but seems like people are not as interested in it as I am (or they are not as bored). The most popular speculation is the theory that they are vanship pilots aboard the Silvius. This theory also raised the idea that the Silvius have a all female crew as well.

Personally, I doubt they are part of the Silvius, they lack the ship symbol in their uniform.

Spoiler for My research results on those characters:
azarhal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-16, 20:21   Link #297
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Kagurazaka, Tokyo
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
Okay, that's just weird. BTW, Enzo, when will the review of the 1st ep of LE Sliver Wing be posted on randomc.net?
When there's a sub! I've watched the raw, but I'm just not comfortable enough with my Japanese skills writing a blog post based on that. It sucks, but it is what it is.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-16, 20:39   Link #298
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed
 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by azarhal View Post
I'm not sure why LE isn't more popular. From what I read online, most people consider it the best show Gonzo ever did. Also, it didn't lack fanservice. I'm Lavie spend a lot of time showing her midriff, Alvis was a loli with only in a shirt with bloomers and Tatiana/Alister's pilot suit was quite skin tight. The show also had yaoi and shoujo-ai subtexts. Anyway.

*sigh* Russian subs are out already and English speakers need to wait for Monday...

In the mean time, I watched the raw twice and I've been researching the unknown characters shown between Tatiana and Alvis in the OP.

I have read a few theories on 2ch, but seems like people are not as interested in it as I am (or they are not as bored). The most popular speculation is the theory that they are vanship pilots aboard the Silvius. This theory also raised the idea that the Silvius have a all female crew as well.

Personally, I doubt they are part of the Silvius, they lack the ship symbol in their uniform.

Spoiler for My research results on those characters:
Spoiler for Speculations! So, uh, possibly spoilers.:


And, yea, I get what you said Enzo, but didn't want to precipitate a flood of messages in response detailing how that wasn't the reason, and how X-Y-Z were the real reasons. Well, here's hoping.

Last edited by creb; 2011-10-16 at 21:23.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-16, 21:17   Link #299
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Classified
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
When there's a sub! I've watched the raw, but I'm just not comfortable enough with my Japanese skills writing a blog post based on that. It sucks, but it is what it is.
Really? Me and the others who watch the show with subs on Animax Asia feel sorry for you. Hopefully, you have friend who does have that channel and PVR that show for you.

PS: Here's the characters English bios on Animax.
__________________
MrTerrorist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-16, 21:46   Link #300
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Kagurazaka, Tokyo
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
Really? Me and the others who watch the show with subs on Animax Asia feel sorry for you. Hopefully, you have friend who does have that channel and PVR that show for you.

PS: Here's the characters English bios on Animax.
Nope. No friends in any of the nations where Animax is available, and they've kindly declined to make it available on their website. I'm surprised no one decided to do a speed release using their stream, but they didn't - so there you go.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
adventure, science fiction

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:59.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.