AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-10-17, 00:36   Link #301
Kumoenvy

For anyone who's in Australia and even New Zealand, Madman will be streaming the first ep of LE: Ginyoku no Fam on Tuesday, October 18 at 10AM EST http://twitter.com/#!/ann_au & http://www.animenewsnetwork.com.au/n...arting-tuesday =) I'm so excited when I found out about this because I don't have access to animax... now I'll just have to train myself to resist watching til tuesdays (and waking up at 7am because I'm in a different time zone)...

And for US region watchers, I think they are also doing a simulcast from Funimation via Niconico? http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-new...us-partnership Says they're doing a simulcast on October 17, 11am. If anyone's interested they should look further into this
Kumoenvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-17, 02:46   Link #302
frubam
singing heartbreak

Send a message via AIM to frubam
Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
Frubam, so far it's not necessary to know anything about the first series so you're ready to watch as soon as the ep goes up, but eventually you may as well refresh yourself of whatever you don't remember.

Since you said you remember the first two thirds you'll even get a little extra spark out of it in a couple of ways as a returning viewer, such as the natural feel of the world, recognizing the old characters in the OP and being able to fully appreciate Dio right off the bat before they fully re-introduce him beyond just the early introductions of a first episode. You can easily watch this week's ep and then refresh yourself of what you don't remember during the week.
Thanks, I'll do just that =03. Hopefully I won't have to rewatch the last parts of the original, but I'd hate to miss out on anything.
frubam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-17, 03:04   Link #303
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

This is probably the only time I'll ever say this... and it pains me to do so... but...

God bless Animax.

Last edited by MeoTwister5; 2011-10-17 at 03:21.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-17, 06:43   Link #304
azarhal

The official website got a glossary now (in Japanese).

It have an explanation for Dio's "Happy birthday" song. lol
azarhal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-17, 11:51   Link #305
azarhal

Funimation posted the first episode online.

It's not on NicoNico yet though.
Old 2011-10-17, 13:10   Link #306
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Finally finish watching Last Exile. So now i have an idea about the settings of Sliver Wing and how the previous casts are involve.

Also a minor note: The smaller Vanships that Fam and her fellow Sky Pirates use are called Vespas. A very meaningful name since it has a double meaning.
Old 2011-10-17, 14:43   Link #307
hyperborealis
Lost at Sea

Vespa is Italian for "wasp." Or did you mean the scooter?
hyperborealis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-17, 14:57   Link #308
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

Liked the OP. BGM was good as well, something i liked a lot about the first one was the bgm. Fam has a great personality. Lol at her sleep walking out of the ship. Dio is awesome as always. Hope its revealed how its related to the first one if it is at all. So Lily knows the guy in charge of the federation.
Old 2011-10-17, 16:55   Link #309
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Umm... Meh?

Seriously - bloody gorgeous. No studio integrates their CG like Gonzo. But I think it's telling that everybody from the original is back except the writer. It looks great, the score soars like the images, and it generally impresses visually. But for me, it was a tad too flashy, too loud and too self-aware for "Last Exile". The effort to make the character designs and character types more modern and otaku-friendly was a little too transparent. There was a sort of dignified gravity to LE that I found missing from the first episode.

But then - first eps are first eps. I've learned not to read too much into them, and I can't deny it was a visual feast. Hopefully the rest of the series will come around.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-17, 17:05   Link #310
Kusa-San
I'll end it before April.

A great first episode !! Damn, so happy to watch Last Exile once again ! I like all the character (Fam, Lily...), good musics as awlays and great fights !!

Can't wait for the next ep.

This anime season is fabulous ! First time that I watch so many series
Kusa-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-17, 17:12   Link #311
azarhal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
But for me, it was a tad too flashy, too loud and too self-aware for "Last Exile".
What do you mean by self-aware?
Old 2011-10-17, 17:17   Link #312
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by azarhal View Post
What do you mean by self-aware?
Self-consciously clever, contrived - in that general vein.
Old 2011-10-17, 17:42   Link #313
E_I
Yuri fan

The OP is censored on NicoNico...when the three leads are being swarmed by the birds near the beginning, you see their naked bodies...briefly. NicoNico just cuts to their faces closeups.
E_I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-17, 18:28   Link #314
Waffeln Ladro

Sakamoto Maaya + SFP combi is awesome! The bgm played when they are stealing the first ship is good too..
Waffeln Ladro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-17, 18:29   Link #315
hoarfrost

Quote:
Umm... Meh?

Seriously - bloody gorgeous. No studio integrates their CG like Gonzo. But I think it's telling that everybody from the original is back except the writer. It looks great, the score soars like the images, and it generally impresses visually. But for me, it was a tad too flashy, too loud and too self-aware for "Last Exile". The effort to make the character designs and character types more modern and otaku-friendly was a little too transparent. There was a sort of dignified gravity to LE that I found missing from the first episode.

But then - first eps are first eps. I've learned not to read too much into them, and I can't deny it was a visual feast. Hopefully the rest of the series will come around.
As thrilled as I am to see another LE, I have to agree. It isn't isn't as subdued as the original, so it lacks a lot of that "atmosphere", for lack of a more precise word.
hoarfrost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-17, 18:48   Link #316
octoberasian
Baka Gaijin :P
*IT Support

Send a message via Skype™ to octoberasian
Ok, finished watching the subs by Whine-Subs, and several things came to my head after watching it. (And, eventually filling in the words I couldn't understand.)
Spoiler:

Also, Enzo, very good review on the first episode on RandomC. I definitely agree with a lot of what you said. It is still a good episode and a very good looking one as well.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, / I took the one less traveled by.
octoberasian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-17, 18:54   Link #317
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Quote:
Umm... Meh?
Oh well, more Fam for the rest of us! (If only it worked that way... )

Now that the subs have been out for a while, here are my more detailed thoughts:

While this series may be set on Earth, it's an Earth that is likely so far in our future that trying to recognize landmarks would be pointless. Edit: Nevermind! As others have pointed out, it's the Mediterranean!

Spoiler for Map of Earth:

However bad the Earth must have been back when humanity built the Exiles and the colony-worlds that would become known as Presters, it seems most-if not all-the environmental problems have been fixed. I guess a lot can happen in 600 years.

With the Earth seemingly looking good, can we assume there is no Guild here? It seems telling that we see two Guild-like people in positions of power in a non-Guild entity: The Ades Federation. Yet, in Liliana's flashback to when she was a child, we see a Guild member in the Guild uniform (possibly Luskinia), which would hint there was a Guild presence recently. I guess it remains to be seen if the Guild disbanded, or if Luskinia and Alauda left it and struck out on their own.

The shot of Iglasia would seem to indicate the Turan Kingdom has been around a while (you don't build a city like that overnight). Since humanity was supposed to all have been evacuated to let the Earth heal, it would seem one of the other Presters must have had a Guild that did not go corrupt and remained true to their mission, thus they migrated back to the Earth well before Claus, Alvis, and crew got the Exile working on their own Prester (or maybe it was multiple Presters that have done so independently already). I hope we learn more about the history of things as they stand now.

I wonder how much Fam and her fellow Sky Pirates make by pirating those huge ships? I assume they re-sell them? At least they didn't take the crew for ransom or anything. Poor guys just have to walk home. I know, I know, we're not supposed to overthink the economic and moral aspects of Sky Piratry.

The Exile has presumably been making constant trips between Earth and the Prester of the last series, and we see it coming in for a landing in this episode (at least, I think it's the same Exile as from the last series). Though how neat would it be if a number of the other Presters had working Exiles traveling to and forth from the Earth? I mean, I don't think we can go 26? 24? episodes with a war between Ades and Turan as the only plot. Anyways, with two years of passage between the last series and this one, I imagine there must be fairly robust communication and trade between the two worlds. Curious to see how that all plays into the story.

For that matter, I wonder where on the Earth it calls its port of landing, as I imagine that could be point of contention if one was a warlike country like the Ades Federation.

We don't see/hear anything about Fam's parents. She seems to live with Gisele, who's father and siblings we do see. Now, I may be a huge cynic from watching anime over the course of two decades, but I couldn't help but feel huge foreshadowing vibes from the interplay between Gisele and Fam that culminates with Gisele says Fam is the last person who would ever be thought of as a princess.

I wonder what the trophy is for. It must mean a lot to Fam to polish it immediately after coming home from a job.

I wonder why they want the Princesses alive. The OP seemed quite foreboding in that regard.

Lastly, you have to have some balls of steel to fly one of those Vespas. I've been a passenger in a gyroplane, which is probably the closest real-life equivalent to a Vanship, and that was... exhilarating at a fraction of the speed these Vanships are flying at.

Anyways, I thought it was a great episode, and can't wait for more. No, it's not the same as Last Exile, but I can re-watch that if I want the same.

Last edited by creb; 2011-10-17 at 21:21.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-17, 19:38   Link #318
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by octoberasian View Post
Also, Enzo, very good review on the first episode on RandomC. I definitely agree with a lot of what you said. It is still a good episode and a very good looking one as well.
Thanks - I only wish I could have posted it earlier. No one is rooting harder for this show than me - LE is one of my absolute favorites. But when I look at the other shows the writer has done - ugh. I can't help but worry.
Old 2011-10-17, 19:38   Link #319
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperborealis View Post
Vespa is Italian for "wasp." Or did you mean the scooter?
I meant both. The Vespa vanships were fast just like wasps and looks like scooters hence why their name was double meaningful.
Old 2011-10-17, 19:55   Link #320
Dist

Send a message via MSN to Dist
I don't get it. I thought this aired already but I see no 720p raws out, only Niconico upscales? So what, are you seriously saying that this anime does not air at Japanese TV at all? That I have to watch something as good as this in 400p?

Goddamnit if so.

Tags
adventure, science fiction