AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2011-11-29, 03:03   Link #1201
MeggieMay
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by creb View Post
I didn't catch it, but did the Ades' map have Anatory on it? I got the impression that Anatory, somehow, is still an unknown among the Earth nations, though Tatiana's map sure made it seem like they had a large swath of land there, raising the question of how they would keep it secret.
I tried to pay attention when I watched the episode and I think that Anatory is only on Tatina's map and not Ades map (which I think has that area listed as "unknown" or something similar). However, I need to re-watch the episode to double check

Quote:
Originally Posted by encia View Post
Being part of the Prester's Guild doesn't separate thier fortunes from Antoray or Disth.

Prester Guild's main job is look after the hour glass colony on behalf of the people of Prester.

Both Lady** Alvis and Princess Liliana are activation/control keys to Exile colony spaceships.

**Alvis was refered as "Lady Alvis" in season one.
I was replying to the last names and what country/region they're from part of the discussion. The people on the Prester's seem to represent countries/regions, while the Guild seems to either be multi-national in background. The original houses in the first series were Eraclea, Hamilton, Dagobert, and Bassianus which seems to have made them Italian, English, German (Frankish) and Syrian (that last one I had to do some digging on Wikipedia for a clue, for what it's worth) by last name origins. It's not a hard and fast rule but a observation that the last names for the Guild are more international than the Anatoray last names were. The fact the Guild kept the advance technology from the beginning means they were considered a separate group from the majority of the Presters. They were suppose to look over the Presters and get them back home but one of the points of the original series is how they managed to lose their mandate due and turn against the people they were suppose to be looking out for.
MeggieMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-29, 03:40   Link #1202
azarhal
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaca View Post
That's why I mentioned "written". If it was archived then it won't be forgotten. I doubt there isn't a library inside the Ades palace.
I can tell you didn't bother reading the link I posted or didn't understand the concept.

Collective memory have nothing to do with facts, it's based on feelings and exposition (repetitions of the same information on large scale). It's actually what make social engineering so easy.

When you say that a group have forgotten something, it's always at the collective level and it mean they don't give a **** about it anymore.
azarhal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-29, 03:51   Link #1203
lightbringer
M9000
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: SBC Gurokken
First we had Kartoffel, now we have Zwiebel, Pilz, Karotte, Kürbis, and Spargel... all we need now is Olivenöl and we can mix a salad
lightbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-29, 03:59   Link #1204
djmaca
My Girl ↓
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Update: Ortigas, Pasig, Phillippines
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by azarhal View Post
I can tell you didn't bother reading the link I posted or didn't understand the concept.

Collective memory have nothing to do with facts, it's based on feelings and exposition (repetitions of the same information on large scale). It's actually what make social engineering so easy.

When you say that a group have forgotten something, it's always at the collective level and it mean they don't give a **** about it anymore.
Why would they forget? Are you telling me the Guild consciously tried to forget they're the ruling class of LE world? If they did, I'd say they're collectively dumb.

And they didn't forgot how to fix the weather machine: the last guy who knows died before he was able to pass it on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightbringer View Post
First we had Kartoffel, now we have Zwiebel, Pilz, Karotte, Kürbis, and Spargel... all we need now is Olivenöl and we can mix a salad
Potato Salad pls....
djmaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-29, 04:08   Link #1205
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Classified
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaca View Post
Potato Salad pls....
With sauce. Either Tabasco or HP.
__________________
MrTerrorist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-29, 04:34   Link #1206
encia
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: GMT 10+
Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
Excellent caps of the maps, nicely shows where Anatoray is if the wide map shot extended further to the right.

Thank you
Ade Federation's Flag includes an embedded Hour Glass logo.

Spoiler for Ade's embedded Hour Glass logo:
encia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-29, 05:14   Link #1207
encia
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: GMT 10+
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeggieMay View Post
I was replying to the last names and what country/region they're from part of the discussion. The people on the Prester's seem to represent countries/regions, while the Guild seems to either be multi-national in background. The original houses in the first series were Eraclea, Hamilton, Dagobert, and Bassianus which seems to have made them Italian, English, German (Frankish) and Syrian (that last one I had to do some digging on Wikipedia for a clue, for what it's worth) by last name origins. It's not a hard and fast rule but a observation that the last names for the Guild are more international than the Anatoray last names were. The fact the Guild kept the advance technology from the beginning means they were considered a separate group from the majority of the Presters. They were suppose to look over the Presters and get them back home but one of the points of the original series is how they managed to lose their mandate due and turn against the people they were suppose to be looking out for.
Well, I didn't complete Anatoray's character list e.g.

1. Vincent Alzey's last name sounds German.
2. Dunya Scheer's last name sounds German.
3. Anthony Kostabi ?????
4. Ethan Pelerin's last name sounds French.
encia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-29, 07:21   Link #1208
lightbringer
M9000
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: SBC Gurokken
Let me provide a bit of perspective as a native German speaker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by encia View Post
Well, I didn't complete Anatoray's character list e.g.
1. Vincent Alzey's last name sounds German.
Nope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by encia View Post
2. Dunya Scheer's last name sounds German.
Not really, although "sch" is indeed a common occurence in German, and a long "e" does appear in some words (See, Meer). Personally I think it sounds more French than German

Quote:
Originally Posted by encia View Post
3. Anthony Kostabi ?????
Maybe Bulgarian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by encia View Post
4. Ethan Pelerin's last name sounds French.
Sounds very much Russian actually, and if you change one letter you'll have the name of a popular Russian author (Pelevin).
lightbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-29, 07:35   Link #1209
encia
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: GMT 10+
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightbringer View Post
Let me provide a bit of perspective as a native German speaker.


Nope.


Not really, although "sch" is indeed a common occurence in German, and a long "e" does appear in some words (See, Meer). Personally I think it sounds more French than German


Maybe Bulgarian.


Sounds very much Russian actually, and if you change one letter you'll have the name of a popular Russian author (Pelevin).
The info for Alzey as German from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alzey

The info for Scheer as German from http://www.houseofnames.com/scheer-family-crest

The info for Pellerin as French from http://www.houseofnames.com/pellerin-family-crest

Last edited by encia; 2011-11-29 at 07:53.
encia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-29, 07:53   Link #1210
lightbringer
M9000
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: SBC Gurokken
If you look at Alzay's article you'll see that it's an old town close to the French border and was previously settled by Burgundians, that's probably why it has a French-sounding name. It definitely does not sound German
lightbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-29, 08:00   Link #1211
encia
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: GMT 10+
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightbringer View Post
If you look at Alzay's article you'll see that it's an old town close to the French border and was previously settled by Burgundians, that's probably why it has a French-sounding name. It definitely does not sound German
Well, let's put it on the German side. You don't want the Germans losing some its territory to the French.. Europe has plenty of territorial changes.

Anyway, it doesn’t really matter in the long run since Europe has one big European Union i.e. lump the whole European names into one EU.

For Last Exile's context and based on Anatoray's character names, Anatoray pretty much returned to it's home land.

Last edited by encia; 2011-11-29 at 08:18.
encia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-29, 08:47   Link #1212
MeggieMay
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by encia View Post
The info for Alzey as German from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alzey

The info for Scheer as German from http://www.houseofnames.com/scheer-family-crest

The info for Pellerin as French from http://www.houseofnames.com/pellerin-family-crest
You beat me to this! The only name we left off was Kostabi. I'd have said it sounded Polish but the main references I can find on Google are for a couple of artists (who may or may not be related), who are listed as being of Estonian, FWIW.

Here's one of the artists wiki entry http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Kostabi
MeggieMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-30, 20:11   Link #1213
azarhal
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
So any ideas on how the Silvius is going to escape next episode?

I'm thinking that they are going to enter the Glacies territory personally. You know the enemies of my enemies is my ally (he just doesn't know it yet).
azarhal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-30, 20:20   Link #1214
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Metro Manila, Philippines
Age: 33
Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
1 against 60+ battleships? Unless they have the equivalent of the Macross Cannon (okay, they have a big gun according to the schematics, but it's not a massive laser), I think the Silvius will do a fighting withdrawal with its vanship squad doing interference. Though what a squad of five vanships can do is debatable too.
__________________
Myssa Rei is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-30, 21:44   Link #1215
Friday
Im shy too...
 
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Invercargill Southland, New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
Though what a squad of five vanships can do is debatable too.
I believe they will shoot at the "core" or bridge of the ship,
Tatiana did it in the last series.
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-01, 02:36   Link #1216
Mercurius.H
King of Hg
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
About the new anti-vanship clustered gun on Ades ships, it may possibly be inspired by Hedgehog anti-submarine mortar.
__________________
Cuius rei subscriptionem mirabilem sane detexi hanc marginis exiguitas non caperet.

I have discovered a truly remarkable signature which this margin is too small to contain.
Mercurius.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-01, 03:55   Link #1217
encia
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: GMT 10+
Quote:
Originally Posted by Friday View Post
I believe they will shoot at the "core" or bridge of the ship,
Tatiana did it in the last series.
Ades' Battleship has two large glass window target i.e. top and bottom. Perfect targets for Tatiana's battle tactics.

Spoiler for Purple target:
encia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-01, 04:02   Link #1218
encia
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: GMT 10+
Quote:
Originally Posted by azarhal View Post
So any ideas on how the Silvius is going to escape next episode?

I'm thinking that they are going to enter the Glacies territory personally. You know the enemies of my enemies is my ally (he just doesn't know it yet).
Spoiler for Ades 's new anti-air weapons :

Last edited by encia; 2011-12-01 at 04:20.
encia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-01, 13:05   Link #1219
ehonglin
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
The Silvius will definitely use the Vanship Squad [perhaps including the Red vanship] to distract Ades and try to escape.

It may wipe out 1/3 of Ades' battlesships but in the end it will get in serious trouble . Then the Silvana in command of Vincent will come and rescue ........ we might even see that old general get killed off in this glorious battle.

It is a great honor to get killed by the legendary Silvana, you know.
ehonglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-01, 19:13   Link #1220
djmaca
My Girl ↓
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Update: Ortigas, Pasig, Phillippines
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehonglin View Post
The Silvius will definitely use the Vanship Squad [perhaps including the Red vanship] to distract Ades and try to escape.

It may wipe out 1/3 of Ades' battlesships but in the end it will get in serious trouble . Then the Silvana in command of Vincent will come and rescue ........ we might even see that old general get killed off in this glorious battle.

It is a great honor to get killed by the legendary Silvana, you know.
Meh, I think Tatiana and the Silvius is enough for Ades. No need to waste some vanships.
djmaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
adventure, science fiction

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:43.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.