AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Infinite Stratos

Notices

View Poll Results: Infinite Stratos - Episode 05 Rating
Perfect 10 24 26.97%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 18 20.22%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 20 22.47%
7 out of 10 : Good 15 16.85%
6 out of 10 : Average 8 8.99%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 2.25%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 1.12%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 1.12%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2011-02-05, 09:05   Link #141
blitz1/2
Tenshi's Defense Squadron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
She would be just as miscast voicing Laura... and Marina is perfect for that role...

You're right it wasn't good... it was great
How would she be a miscast? Laura is not very interactive and has a cool aura. She can easily use her deep voice (kuroneko but deeper) would be perfect for laura.

hai, hai. Onii-chan has his work cut out for him.
blitz1/2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-05, 09:06   Link #142
Haak
God Damn Christmas Songs

Kana Hanazawa's voice is far too soft for someone stiff and strict like Laura, but good for someone quietly cynical like Kuroneko.
Old 2011-02-05, 09:17   Link #143
Terminator98
Archangelic Demon Vampire
*Author

I've rewatched the episode...
I can't seem to interprete Ichika's reaction to Houki's reaction.
DID HE AT LEAST UNDERSTAND IT?
*bites nails in angst*
Old 2011-02-05, 09:20   Link #144
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflyingturkey View Post
Generally speaking, if he wasn't dense, it'll would be a deconstruction of the whole 'harem genre'.
How easy do you think it'll be for the protagonist when he realizes that there are 5-10 girls after him?
If the MC wasn't dense, there is going to be allot of drama.
Ending in a "nice boat" moment.

Quite seriously, isn't that the major problem if the protagonist of a harem show would get "smart"? He'd probably start plowing through all the waifs throwing themselves at him like a jackhammer, leaving behind a mass of broken dreams and girls. Hence the "dense protagonist" trope is kinda necessary to maintain the genre.
Old 2011-02-05, 10:01   Link #145
blitz1/2
Tenshi's Defense Squadron

Poor Ran will not know what hell awaits her when she transfers to IS academy.

hai, hai. Onii-chan has his work cut out for him.
blitz1/2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-05, 10:01   Link #146
Haak
God Damn Christmas Songs

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post

Quite seriously, isn't that the major problem if the protagonist of a harem show would get "smart"? He'd probably start plowing through all the waifs throwing themselves at him like a jackhammer, leaving behind a mass of broken dreams and girls. Hence the "dense protagonist" trope is kinda necessary to maintain the genre.
Why is that the only other option? Why can't he just be sensible and try and reason with them. This is assuming that there isn't a girl he likes romantically. If there is then he can just ask her out and I'm sure that most of them will back off.
Old 2011-02-05, 10:04   Link #147
Terminator98
*Author

Ichika? REASONING?

quote: "Thinking would be useless"

So yeah...
Old 2011-02-05, 10:13   Link #148
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflyingturkey View Post
Generally speaking, if he wasn't dense, it'll would be a deconstruction of the whole 'harem genre'.
How easy do you think it'll be for the protagonist when he realizes that there are 5-10 girls after him?
If the MC wasn't dense, there is going to be allot of drama.
The density of the protagonist in a harem is proportionate the how the girls can act to get his attention. The denser he is, the more they will do, thus increasing out entertaining. Best example is Kampfer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitz1/2 View Post
Poor Ran will not know what hell awaits her when she transfers to IS academy.
I sure hope she does though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminator98 View Post
Ichika? REASONING?

So yeah...
Yes... funny but a big face palm at the same time.
DragoZERO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-05, 10:30   Link #149
demonfang

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post

Or you know, he could try the Rance style of managing a harem.
demonfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-05, 10:31   Link #150
Hooves
♣~Sleepy~♣
*Author

Send a message via Skype™ to Hooves
Quote:
Ichika? REASONING?

So yeah...
This is exactly how he goes about being a male harem lead..
Hooves is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-05, 11:14   Link #151
ZeKeR
Superbad

Send a message via Skype™ to ZeKeR
^aint that the truth...

4 those who wish for charles to be the uke.... (PERVS...) here...

inb4 OMGWTFBBQITFREAKINFITSTHEGUY moment

Spoiler for im sure you will liek it....:
Old 2011-02-05, 12:19   Link #152
eiyuu99

Ichika will just charge straight and batter down the gates.
eiyuu99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-05, 12:58   Link #153
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by blitz1/2 View Post
In a way, it is realistic. It's like the childhood friend syndrome, Ichika THINKS he knows his childhood friends (but to both parties, both had really changed either relationship wise. Ichika still believed, oh they are my osana najimi, we are just VERY good friends. That's all.) While the girls are grumbling and cursing the fact that Ichika is dense.

I guess the tsundere trait also plays a role in trying to determine the heroine's real intention. (not as extreme as Mayoi neko) but Ichika believes that the heroine's words should be taken LITERALLY as it is said. (the childhood promise, go out with me and etc)
Childhood or not he's a 15 years old boy. He like his friend should be interested in girls. I've had students around his age who did somewhat talked about girls having cooties but that's just being boys. In his case I'd call him gay.

The fact that he's completely oblivious and shows zero interest in any of the girls even when they invite him to do things that couples do he's not even blushing.

I mean in most other "harem" animes even if the guy's dense he still acts like a boy and blushes (Ex. Toudo with Misaki in that last episode of Index)

Quote:
True, it'd be like School Days and look what happened.

Of course there's the more "reasonable" one which was in Shuffle!
SoldierOfDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-05, 13:04   Link #154
Terminator98
*Author

Anime protagonists tend to defy logic. You have 15-17 years old becoming total bad asses with l33t skills and brains. When does this happen in RL? Never.

So the say could be applied to our dear generic Ichika that is dense beyond compare.
One possible explanation might be his past though. No one lives in a world where woman dominate, where you are taken care of by a very cool but harsh sis, and where all your childhood friends are girls...

So yeah, he might either see girls as "superior women with who you must not screw", or "interesting beings that I must be aware of... but KEEP MY DISTANCES"

Dunno... Kinda hard to see a logical explanation for Ichika's attitude with women.
Old 2011-02-05, 13:36   Link #155
Saturn Beaver
Home of Silent Prayer

Send a message via MSN to Saturn Beaver
Quote:
Anime protagonists tend to defy logic. You have 15-17 years old becoming total bad asses with l33t skills and brains. When does this happen in RL? Never.

So the say could be applied to our dear generic Ichika that is dense beyond compare.
One possible explanation might be his past though. No one lives in a world where woman dominate, where you are taken care of by a very cool but harsh sis, and where all your childhood friends are girls...

So yeah, he might either see girls as "superior women with who you must not screw", or "interesting beings that I must be aware of... but KEEP MY DISTANCES"

Dunno... Kinda hard to see a logical explanation for Ichika's attitude with women.
I see your explanation there, and it could arguably be a bit of basis. Still, at least they have to show Ichika blushing or something like that, but is too unsure/scared to try to pursue further because of the different background in IS universe. Or maybe she finds the girls' behavior strange, but thinks that's normal behavior from childhood friends or something like that. Being indecisive is one thing, but to be so dense that such thought has never even crossed his mind is another thing entirely. Really, he is just too dense, unbelievably so, can be explained only by (harem) anime logic.
Old 2011-02-05, 14:26   Link #156
kramerica

My theory is that since he isn't jumping on any girl in particular, the result is that the girls will just try harder next time so the audience can continue to see harem antics. Harem MC density is something I've just accepted after watching anime for a long time. If the MC picks a girl, how can the harem compete?

Nanael is not amused.
kramerica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-05, 14:28   Link #157
Haak
God Damn Christmas Songs

I can accept harem denseness too but this is seriously taking it to a whole new level...
Old 2011-02-05, 14:46   Link #158
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kramerica View Post
My theory is that since he isn't jumping on any girl in particular, the result is that the girls will just try harder next time so the audience can continue to see harem antics. Harem MC density is something I've just accepted after watching anime for a long time. If the MC picks a girl, how can the harem compete?
Except it's exactly what Haak has noted, this denseness is on a completely whole new level to the point that no one would be surprised if he turns out to be gay.

I mean since when has a harem given us hints that the protagonist may not be into girls at all?
SoldierOfDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-05, 14:57   Link #159
Saturn Beaver
Home of Silent Prayer

Send a message via MSN to Saturn Beaver
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoldierOfDarkness View Post
Except it's exactly what Haak has noted, this denseness is on a completely whole new level to the point that no one would be surprised if he turns out to be gay.

I mean since when has a harem given us hints that the protagonist may not be into girls at all?
No, the problem isn't disinterest, he just plain too dense to notice anything. I mean, even gay guys can notice if girls are attracted to them, it's like the possibility doesn't even exist for Ichika for some reason. Different background, I know, but if his friend can notice surely it must be just him?
Old 2011-02-05, 15:01   Link #160
Haak
God Damn Christmas Songs

How can "Go out with me if I win!" possibly be within the bounds of childhood friend?