AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Nanoha

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2011-12-18, 13:49   Link #4981
Kaijo
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
For a series mixing comedy with deadly serious moments, I highly suggest Gintama. Over 200 episodes now, but most of them are golden, and it's been one of the highest rated in Japan for 4 years or so.

...and that's all I got until we get an actual translated release, or more info on the next chapter. D:
Kaijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-18, 13:58   Link #4982
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Windsor, Ontario
Age: 27
Send a message via AIM to 00-Raiser
Gintama is only serious 5% of the time. Even when there's any kind of storyline it's mostly done in a wacky manner. The Benizakura arc is about the only one that was played completely serious.
__________________
00-Raiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-18, 14:09   Link #4983
Kaijo
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00-Raiser View Post
Gintama is only serious 5% of the time. Even when there's any kind of storyline it's mostly done in a wacky manner. The Benizakura arc is about the only one that was played completely serious.
You need to watch further. They have about one serious arc in every 50 ep season. They still have comedic moments in the serious arc, but there are good serious moments. Anyway, just bringing it up as a good example of how you can mix serious and comedy in a good way.
Kaijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-18, 14:26   Link #4984
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Windsor, Ontario
Age: 27
Send a message via AIM to 00-Raiser
Still, the serious stuff only happens every so often. It's pure comedy the rest of the time.

A better example is Steins;Gate. When it gets serious mid series there's still plenty of comedy but that's because most of the characters don't know it got serious and the one guy who knows acts silly so he doesn't get crushed by despair.
__________________
00-Raiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-18, 14:39   Link #4985
Justin_Brett
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Canada, Sault Ste. Marie
Quote:
I actually don't like Nadesico all that much (love the movie, though yes I'm serious), but Gai's death had the same effect as Mami's: "Look at this light hearted show, isn't it... HOLY SHIT THEY KILLED SOME ONE WHO LOOKED LIKE A MAJOR CHARACTER IN THE 3RD EPISODE! SHIT JUST GOT SERIOUS!" It also greatly impacted Akito, so I don't see how it was less important than Mami's.
But shit didn't really get serious, though. Gai's the only one of the crew who dies in the whole series, and he wasn't the only wacky character on-board. It certainly affected Akito (and in a better way than basically torturing him for no reason), but everybody else forgets the guy existed. With Madoka it affected more.

Quote:
Force is much better because it has the two blocked off. We have a block of light hearted and relatively light hearted stuff, then a block of really serious stuff, then another block of light hearted stuff. Prevents serious mood whiplash that way.
I'd prefer more internal consistency rather than simply segregating the two. The characters are dealing with dangerous murderers here.
Justin_Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-18, 14:54   Link #4986
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Windsor, Ontario
Age: 27
Send a message via AIM to 00-Raiser
And when they do deal with them, they are serious. When they have some down time, though, they don't spend it brooding over what to do and actually enjoy themselves.
__________________
00-Raiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-18, 15:04   Link #4987
Justin_Brett
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Canada, Sault Ste. Marie
Yeah, because it cut to two months later after only a few comments about the last battle. Nanoha, for example, probably had something to think about nearly getting decapitated, but they didn't decide to show it.
Justin_Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-18, 15:09   Link #4988
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Windsor, Ontario
Age: 27
Send a message via AIM to 00-Raiser
They did show exactly after the battle, though, and Nanoha was more concerned about Vita's injuries. She's hardly a person that would spend any time thinking about what might have happened to her anyways.
__________________
00-Raiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-18, 17:04   Link #4989
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Age: 26
Besides, Nanoha's used to getting nearly killed. Heck, she already survived serious or even near-fatal injuries before. A blow that didn't even land doesn't even come close.
__________________
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-18, 19:56   Link #4990
Zero Hurricane
I'm here for the reason..
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Surabaya, East Java, Indonesia
Age: 21
Send a message via Yahoo to Zero Hurricane Send a message via Skype™ to Zero Hurricane
Because Nanoha is really "hard bastard" (strong and resilient), just like Soap in Modern Warfare Trilogy.

Sooner or later, I do not want "Blood Brothers" incident happen in Nanoha
__________________
"Use of deadly force is authorized"
Zero Hurricane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-18, 20:42   Link #4991
Tiresias
Labda Prakarsa Nirwikara
 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Pekanbaru (UTC+07:00)
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
Knowing someone is from the opposite side does not make one immune for psychological warfare. Just look at Fate.
Ah, but Fate only started to join the other side when Precia specifically stated her hate for Fate. Fate surrendered because she lost, not because she felt compelled to defect.

And let's not forget that if they send Touma to the Hucks, he is only one man. They are a mob. Opinions of the majority tends to drown the minority. His voice will be like a single sand on a desert.

It's hard enough for infiltrators to do anything when nobody knows that he's working of the enemy. When every Huckebein knows his affiliation with TSAB few would even honestly listen to his opinion. At best, they will pay lip service and pretend to listen.

Quote:
Don't forget Vita's warhammer which drilled a hole in a Divider the size of a goddamn battleship. Despite Vita's defeat at the hands of Curren, the weapon itself was highly successful.
Against a battleship. It's useless for anti-personnel duty, which is a bid bad considering that the Esquad is actually a fancy troop carrier, and its offensive means are the troops it carries.

Quote:
The same goes for Fate's new blades, which held their own against Eclipse fighters just fine.
For the few minutes it was shown, which isn't saying much. There's no proof on how well it will last on a prolonged battle.

Quote:
Nanoha is a show that thrives on emotions trumping logic. It worked for Nanoha, it'll work for Thoma.
Depending on you definition of "work". The *ahem* Power of Love/Friendship/[insert gushy word here] calmed Reinforce Eins, but not the corrupted defense program.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00-Raiser View Post
Eh, give it a few years and people will realise that it's just Bokurano with magic girls instead of robots.
It's odd that you say it like it's a bad thing, considering Nanoha is "just Gundam with magic girls instead of robots"
__________________
Tiresias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-18, 21:06   Link #4992
Zero Hurricane
I'm here for the reason..
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Surabaya, East Java, Indonesia
Age: 21
Send a message via Yahoo to Zero Hurricane Send a message via Skype™ to Zero Hurricane
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiresias View Post
Ah, but Fate only started to join the other side when Precia specifically stated her hate for Fate. Fate surrendered because she lost, not because she felt compelled to defect.

And let's not forget that if they send Touma to the Hucks, he is only one man. They are a mob. Opinions of the majority tends to drown the minority. His voice will be like a single sand on a desert.

It's hard enough for infiltrators to do anything when nobody knows that he's working of the enemy. When every Huckebein knows his affiliation with TSAB few would even honestly listen to his opinion. At best, they will pay lip service and pretend to listen.
Sometimes it's very difficult to attack the enemy from inside, when we pretend to be one of them. Sometimes we are forced to do what they do, who really don't want we do. But for the sake of safety, we are forced to do so.

Yeah, something like that. Thoma had to do what they want, what he really did not want. If ever infiltration task commenced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiresias View Post
Depending on you definition of "work". The *ahem* Power of Love/Friendship/[insert gushy word here] calmed Reinforce Eins, but not the corrupted defense program.
If this applies to Rein Eins, there is little possibility precisely the same thing applies to Huckebein.
__________________
"Use of deadly force is authorized"
Zero Hurricane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-18, 21:33   Link #4993
WarpObscura
Bibliophile
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: There's this dot on the world map...
^What, they want to join the light but the Eclipse forces them to keep fighting and they have to be put down like Rein?
__________________

Yo dawg, I heard you like QB...

Thanks MAEt for the av!
WarpObscura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-18, 21:35   Link #4994
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Windsor, Ontario
Age: 27
Send a message via AIM to 00-Raiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiresias View Post
It's odd that you say it like it's a bad thing, considering Nanoha is "just Gundam with magic girls instead of robots"
I said it like that because what I hear most people say makes Madoka great is that it's so 'original.' So when they realise that it's not the enthusiasm should theorhetically cool down.

No one's ever claimed that Nanoha is original. Does that mean it's not enjoyable to watch? Hell no.
__________________
00-Raiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-18, 22:02   Link #4995
Key Board
Donut
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00-Raiser View Post
I said it like that because what I hear most people say makes Madoka great is that it's so 'original.' So when they realise that it's not the enthusiasm should theorhetically cool down.

No one's ever claimed that Nanoha is original. Does that mean it's not enjoyable to watch? Hell no.

Madoka was well executed, and came out at the right time. Sorry if this offends anyone, but the tsunami disaster did make Madoka's impact stronger.

Becomes of said factors, it managed to break into the mainstream conscious (not just otaku). Nanoha hasn't been able to do this yet. (but I don't think it wants to)

That's why Madoka has won several awards, and is the first magical girl show to do so in decades. You have even people like Hideaki Anno and Lone Wolf and Club's Koike praising the show. Madoka is guaranteed to stay in the conscious mind for a while.

If you check my quote, you should know that I am someone that favors execution over originality, and it's true that it didn't come up with all its concepts by itself.

But when people say Madoka is original, usually they are referring to the unique combination of Shinbo camera angles and Gekidan Inu Curry art style

That is indeed rather unique, and I'm guessing that eventually it will influence other shows to copy its style. The first one that comes to mind is C3. (but I think they overdone it and it comes off as copying for the sake of copying)

Conclusion, Madoka deserves the attention it is getting
__________________

-- Mushoku Tensei. on the dangers of osananajimi attachment

Last edited by Key Board; 2011-12-18 at 22:47.
Key Board is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-18, 22:11   Link #4996
Justin_Brett
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Canada, Sault Ste. Marie
I haven't seen any Madoka fans talk about the camera angles or anything like that. Camera angles aren't something I see discussed in general when it comes to anime. Mostly just 'it's dark and serious, therefore good!'
Justin_Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-18, 22:18   Link #4997
Key Board
Donut
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
probably not directly, but said camera angles and art direction create the mood, and thus the audience perception of it

example: Kyubei and Sayaka's contract scene. It's viewed from an angle that Kyubei casts a sinister shadow.

Shaft is a studio that is willing to be more artsy, for the better or worse. Sometimes they go overboard like they did in a few episodes of Bakemonogatari and Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei.

They they always make a visual impact
__________________

-- Mushoku Tensei. on the dangers of osananajimi attachment
Key Board is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-18, 22:23   Link #4998
Justin_Brett
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Canada, Sault Ste. Marie
Yeah, that's pretty common with villains.
Justin_Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-18, 22:26   Link #4999
Key Board
Donut
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin_Brett View Post
Yeah, that's pretty common with villains.
If Ikuhara (Penguindrum/Utena) is behind your show, maybe.

Otherwise, I can't think of many shows that are willing to take the symbolism artyness to another level
__________________

-- Mushoku Tensei. on the dangers of osananajimi attachment
Key Board is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-18, 22:30   Link #5000
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: The middle of the Middle of Nowhere
Age: 27
Can we not go down this route? We have a Madoka forum. If you're going to talk about Madoka here, do it in some relation to Nanoha... not some explanation as to why Madoka is supposedly superior without some comparison to the actual point of the thread.
__________________
Rising Dragon is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
manga, nanoha force

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:29.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.