AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2014-01-15, 21:33   Link #681
GreyZone
"Senior" "Member"
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
toasted toasts are more stable than untoasted toasts! Though this only applies to toasts...
__________________
GreyZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-23, 23:14   Link #682
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Doing Anzu's paperwork.
Age: 28
Personal cliche that I hate with a burning passion: Anime girls who cannot cook at all, but will happily make disgusting concoctions without taste-testing them, and then feed them to the objects of their affections and demand he eat and enjoy whatever foul mess she's cooked up. Just, no.

How the fuck hard can it be to take two slices of bread, spread butter, put a slice of ham, apply mustard, put a slice of cheese, apply sliced tomatoes, and voila! AND ANIME GIRLS SCREW EVEN THAT UP!

And those idiots happily go and serve a disgusting concoction to their victims with big smiles and expect them to eat it. Didn't they not taste test their own food? Don't they know the meaning of walk before run? If one has never cooked before, why in the name of all that is holy is one trying to halfass something without even using a cookbook?

I'm forgiving of most things except kitchen stupidity. Because that shit can get you killed. (I have been sidelined with food poisoning. Was not a pleasant experience. Vomit should not be red-tinted.)

The sad thing is that in my experience, this is actually a reflection of the modern girl, who on average does not know how to cook.

Though one of the most ridiculous examples has to be Mitusrugi Meiya's failed attempt at rice balls, which ends up as basically charcoal. With eggshells in it. (How the fuck did she get eggshells into rice what is this I don't even.)
__________________
~Speaking my mind, even when it costs me~
One must forgive one's enemies, but not before they are hanged.Heinrich Heine.

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-24, 07:43   Link #683
Eragon
I got you babe.
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Shopping Mall
Age: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Goose View Post
Personal cliche that I hate with a burning passion: Anime girls who cannot cook at all, but will happily make disgusting concoctions without taste-testing them, and then feed them to the objects of their affections and demand he eat and enjoy whatever foul mess she's cooked up. Just, no.

How the fuck hard can it be to take two slices of bread, spread butter, put a slice of ham, apply mustard, put a slice of cheese, apply sliced tomatoes, and voila! AND ANIME GIRLS SCREW EVEN THAT UP!

And those idiots happily go and serve a disgusting concoction to their victims with big smiles and expect them to eat it. Didn't they not taste test their own food? Don't they know the meaning of walk before run? If one has never cooked before, why in the name of all that is holy is one trying to halfass something without even using a cookbook?

I'm forgiving of most things except kitchen stupidity. Because that shit can get you killed. (I have been sidelined with food poisoning. Was not a pleasant experience. Vomit should not be red-tinted.)

The sad thing is that in my experience, this is actually a reflection of the modern girl, who on average does not know how to cook.

Though one of the most ridiculous examples has to be Mitusrugi Meiya's failed attempt at rice balls, which ends up as basically charcoal. With eggshells in it. (How the fuck did she get eggshells into rice what is this I don't even.)
Its called, trying-to-fit-every-girl-in-the-age-old-stereotype. The reason any girl (in anime) tries to cook for their loved ones is because they think that's what a good women should do/needs to do. So, no matter how independent, awesome, different the girl is she must try to be a good little housewife for her guy otherwise she sees herself as a failure.

#Sexist-anime-is-sexist
__________________
Signature courtesy of rikikai
Eragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-24, 07:56   Link #684
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Hanoi, Vietnam
Age: 8
Harem alone is Sexist enough. We've seen many Harem ending, right? But if a Girl has a harem, no way that's gonna happen. She will have to choose one of them only.

Not that I mind Harem.

Plus, Goose, Shirogane could handle a dimension jump, so Meiya's food is nothing. Beside, imagine she poisoned him and then has to wear a nurse outfit and take care of him. Mutiply it with Yuuya/Yui and Hibiki/Yuzuka...
Fireminer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-24, 14:20   Link #685
Ithekro
Space Battlecarrier
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Republic of California
Age: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Goose View Post
Personal cliche that I hate with a burning passion: Anime girls who cannot cook at all, but will happily make disgusting concoctions without taste-testing them, and then feed them to the objects of their affections and demand he eat and enjoy whatever foul mess she's cooked up. Just, no.

How the fuck hard can it be to take two slices of bread, spread butter, put a slice of ham, apply mustard, put a slice of cheese, apply sliced tomatoes, and voila! AND ANIME GIRLS SCREW EVEN THAT UP!

And those idiots happily go and serve a disgusting concoction to their victims with big smiles and expect them to eat it. Didn't they not taste test their own food? Don't they know the meaning of walk before run? If one has never cooked before, why in the name of all that is holy is one trying to halfass something without even using a cookbook?

I'm forgiving of most things except kitchen stupidity. Because that shit can get you killed. (I have been sidelined with food poisoning. Was not a pleasant experience. Vomit should not be red-tinted.)

The sad thing is that in my experience, this is actually a reflection of the modern girl, who on average does not know how to cook.

Though one of the most ridiculous examples has to be Mitusrugi Meiya's failed attempt at rice balls, which ends up as basically charcoal. With eggshells in it. (How the fuck did she get eggshells into rice what is this I don't even.)
The sillier one is Baka to Test to Shokanju's Mizuki Himeji. She appears to know how to cook, but for some reason she seems to cook via a commercial aid food style. As in cook things to be pretty on screen and look perfect. But that usually means adding chemicals that are toxic to humans. All her dishes look perfect...and will probably kill you.
__________________
Dessler Soto, Banzai!
Ithekro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-24, 17:35   Link #686
Traece
:cool:
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Idaho
Age: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireminer View Post
Harem alone is Sexist enough. We've seen many Harem ending, right? But if a Girl has a harem, no way that's gonna happen. She will have to choose one of them only.
Spoiler for Sexism and harems rant:

On an unrelated matter: There's a cliche that always bothers me immensely, and it's those traitorous movements in organizations. Those people who want to overthrow their leaders for, more often than not, reasons that are senseless. Everything from Code Geass to Space Battleship Yamato has this! Where I seem to see it the most, however, is in situations where a lack of unity can jeopardize the entire organization. It's almost never, "I think we should do this, but I recognize that it's all or nothing," but rather: "I think we should do this, and I'm going to kill people until we do that, even though us being a unified body is literally the difference between total failure and success!"

And on another note, a more general and non-anime cliche is the whole rebelling against the government thing. Especially with the average dystopian story, it's always this fight against the overbearing leaders of society, even if society is significantly better now than it has ever been. No crime, good health, happy lives? Better overthrow the government! Sometimes it even happens when this came about to literally save the human race from extinction.

Lastly, is there such a thing as a supporting character that isn't a prodigy? Seriously. If I had a nickel for every supporting character with a skill or hobby that they were basically godlike at, I'd be a primary investor in this industry.
__________________
Traece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-24, 18:14   Link #687
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Hanoi, Vietnam
Age: 8
Well, if they don't rebellion, then what is there to tell? I mean, overdramatic is always Anime's field. For example, if the Black Knight never kick Lelouch out, it would be too easy. And I fear that it won't lead to the stunning ending that we all know. Plus, that leave room for Fanfic writer.

Back to the Harem problem. Yes, I could agree that most male-lead Harem is for comedy. But what about something like School Days VN? They do have a Harem ending.

Plus, in contrast of the "Failed Housewife", there is also "Failed Lover" to, usually the Male who just can't not act galantly with their girlfriends.

Edit: Ok, back to the Harem problem, I just realize what I hate is the sudden transfering from Selfish to Unselfish of the Harem. All the girls engaged in a battle royale for the boy, and yet in the end they just admitted defeat and share the prize? The only answer that I could think of is Yuri inside a Harem, but it never happen. Female-lead Harem retain their selfish, though - Man's nature.

Last edited by Fireminer; 2014-01-24 at 18:24.
Fireminer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-24, 20:40   Link #688
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Doing Anzu's paperwork.
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eragon View Post
Its called, trying-to-fit-every-girl-in-the-age-old-stereotype. The reason any girl (in anime) tries to cook for their loved ones is because they think that's what a good women should do/needs to do. So, no matter how independent, awesome, different the girl is she must try to be a good little housewife for her guy otherwise she sees herself as a failure.

#Sexist-anime-is-sexist
Yeah, but it's like they've never heard of a learning curve or something.

My mom is a pretty awesome cook, but when I was first learning to cook, I was atrocious at it. I had to start out simple: Toast, then marmite toast, then grilled cheese sandwiches (which, admittedly, are ridiculously easy in an oven toaster ), then boiling water, then rice, then fried rice, then stir fry...

Basically you work your way up, but these girls try to force their way through cooking. -_-;;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
The sillier one is Baka to Test to Shokanju's Mizuki Himeji. She appears to know how to cook, but for some reason she seems to cook via a commercial aid food style. As in cook things to be pretty on screen and look perfect. But that usually means adding chemicals that are toxic to humans. All her dishes look perfect...and will probably kill you.
....that's so ridiculous I'm at a loss for words. -.-
__________________
~Speaking my mind, even when it costs me~
One must forgive one's enemies, but not before they are hanged.Heinrich Heine.

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-25, 06:36   Link #689
risingstar3110
The sexy Kongou
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Australia
Not a popular trope, but i absolutely absolutely hate that "cure lesbianism" development the most.... More popular in manga rather anime, i supposed..

You know what i means, two girls in close relationship, or even just skin-ship/sisterhood/class-S. Then a prick entered and turned the story into hetero romance drama. No disrespect to the author if he chose that trope, but just thinking about it making me want to puke
__________________
risingstar3110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-27, 12:44   Link #690
GreyZone
"Senior" "Member"
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
Not a popular trope, but i absolutely absolutely hate that "cure lesbianism" development the most.... More popular in manga rather anime, i supposed..

You know what i means, two girls in close relationship, or even just skin-ship/sisterhood/class-S. Then a prick entered and turned the story into hetero romance drama. No disrespect to the author if he chose that trope, but just thinking about it making me want to puke
Just a question: Do you include to aru railgun in this?
__________________
GreyZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-27, 12:48   Link #691
hyl
smile
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyZone View Post
Just a question: Do you include to aru railgun in this?
Why would you include it? Misaka Mikoto and Shirai Kuroko were not even in such a relationship before Touma showed up
hyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-02, 22:43   Link #692
greensoulreaper
こんにちは
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
For anime and manga - I loathe the stereotypes that countries outside Japan get represented in. The only exception is when they do it for comedy, but if its not that then its kind of...I don't know...ignorant.
greensoulreaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
disscusion, manga cliche good bad

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:34.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.