AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Suggestions

Notices

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2012-02-08, 03:10   Link #1
symphonious7
Emperor of Dorkdom
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Alright guys

I just finished watching Onii-chan no Koto nanka Zenzen Suki Janain Dakara ne!! Which imo was NOT the greatest anime. Now I've seen hundreds of animes, and the idea that I'll be able to name them all so you won't suggest something I've seen is quite unrealistic, but I'll do my best to name as many as I can. These are my favorites:

Full Metal Panic
Hayate No Gotoku
GTO
School Rumble
Ninja Nonsense
Super Gals (just about my favorite anime)
Gurren Lagan
Azumanga Daioh,
Lucky Star (it was ok)
MM! (another favorite)
Rizelmine
Best Student Council
Clannad
Samurai Champloo (amazing)
Cowboy Bebop (also amazing)
The Melancholy of... ok I have no idea how to spell her name, you know what anime I'm talking about lol
Air Gear (was awesome at first, then drug out too long)
Marmalade Boy (don't judge hahaha)
Kare Kano (ditto)
Onegai Teacher (was ok)
Ranma 1/2 (a classic)
Tenchi Muyo! (First anime I ever watched, I'm way too nostalgic for it)
Daikon Bros (hilarious)
Cromartie Highschool (another all time favorite)
Ressurrection Princess (AMAZING)
Lovely Complex (as funny as it is adorable!)


Ok, I think that's about all I can name off the top of my head. So judging by my tastes, anyone want to suggest what I should watch next?
__________________
Hey, if you'd like, check out my Vlog, songs, skits, rants, on all kinds of things. I hope you'll check it out!
http://www.youtube.com/user/Symphonious7/videos
symphonious7 is offline  
Old 2012-02-08, 03:16   Link #2
Flower
Purrrfectly cuddly! ^^
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Yamoto, Akiba, Log Horizon Guild Hall, Kitchen
Hmm ... you might consider going through the trouble of setting up a My Anime List or Anime Planet account as a way to keep track of and grade the series you have watched (or the manga you have read for that matter) ... something like that would be helpful in situations like this - where suggesters would not duplicate things you have already seen in their suggestions - and maybe also help for other recommendations as well.

That being said I also liked Marmalade Boy and Kare Kano - although in each situation I thought the manga sources were better, especially for Kare Kano.

Just going from the list you drew up you seem to have a fairly wide range of genres ... are there series or genres that you specifically tried and did NOT like other than Onii-chan no Koto nanka Zenzen Suki Janain Dakara ne?
__________________
Flower is online now  
Old 2012-02-08, 03:26   Link #3
FlavorOfLife
Uncaring
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
How about Midori no Hibi? Its a comedy romance where a girl who secretly likes a guy who is well known for his powerful right fist finds herself turned into his right hand.' Not especially deep or logical but its funny and cute
FlavorOfLife is offline  
Old 2012-02-08, 03:34   Link #4
symphonious7
Emperor of Dorkdom
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlavorOfLife View Post
How about Midori no Hibi? Its a comedy romance where a girl who secretly likes a guy who is well known for his powerful right fist finds herself turned into his right hand.' Not especially deep or logical but its funny and cute
So this girl likes a guy, and then BECOMES his hand? That sounds right up my alley and it's not ringing any bells so I think it's something I haven't seen, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower View Post
Hmm ... you might consider going through the trouble of setting up a My Anime List or Anime Planet account as a way to keep track of and grade the series you have watched (or the manga you have read for that matter) ... something like that would be helpful in situations like this - where suggesters would not duplicate things you have already seen in their suggestions - and maybe also help for other recommendations as well.

That being said I also liked Marmalade Boy and Kare Kano - although in each situation I thought the manga sources were better, especially for Kare Kano.

Just going from the list you drew up you seem to have a fairly wide range of genres ... are there series or genres that you specifically tried and did NOT like other than Onii-chan no Koto nanka Zenzen Suki Janain Dakara ne?
I don't like Bleach, I can't stand Naruto, like I like action animes if they have comedy and romance thrown in there too, but when it's nothing but action, it's not for me. So like, Death Note I didn't like, don't like Full Metal Alchemist, hate Ghost in the Shell... that's all I can think of that I don't like right now, I'm gonna open one of those accounts you suggested though and do that, I'd never thought of that before, tracking my animes like that.
__________________
Hey, if you'd like, check out my Vlog, songs, skits, rants, on all kinds of things. I hope you'll check it out!
http://www.youtube.com/user/Symphonious7/videos
symphonious7 is offline  
Old 2012-02-08, 03:37   Link #5
Flower
Purrrfectly cuddly! ^^
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Yamoto, Akiba, Log Horizon Guild Hall, Kitchen
Quote:
Originally Posted by symphonious7 View Post
So this girl likes a guy, and then BECOMES his hand? That sounds right up my alley and it's not ringing any bells so I think it's something I haven't seen, thanks!

....I'm gonna open one of those accounts you suggested though and do that, I'd never thought of that before, tracking my animes like that.
No problem ... and btw, Midori no Hibi is an endearing series, but imo the manga for it was also better. You might give it a look-see if manga is something you also enjoy.
__________________
Flower is online now  
Old 2012-02-08, 03:43   Link #6
symphonious7
Emperor of Dorkdom
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower View Post
No problem ... and btw, Midori no Hibi is an endearing series, but imo the manga for it was also better. You might give it a look-see if manga is something you also enjoy.
You know I have never read a manga in my life. Not one time. It's hard for me to even imagine the appeal of anime in comic book form (and yet I know that anime is adaptation of manga by definition) but people say that all the time, so I'm gonna have to check out a manga one of these days. I'll let you guys know how that goes.
__________________
Hey, if you'd like, check out my Vlog, songs, skits, rants, on all kinds of things. I hope you'll check it out!
http://www.youtube.com/user/Symphonious7/videos
symphonious7 is offline  
Old 2012-02-08, 04:03   Link #7
symphonious7
Emperor of Dorkdom
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Wow.... let me just add, I thought I had seen alot of anime, I was even so naive I thought that I may be nearing the end where there wouldn't be many good animes to watch left.... then I joined anime planet.... could I have been any more wrong??? I don't think so... SO many more animes than I ever thought possible!!
__________________
Hey, if you'd like, check out my Vlog, songs, skits, rants, on all kinds of things. I hope you'll check it out!
http://www.youtube.com/user/Symphonious7/videos
symphonious7 is offline  
Old 2012-02-08, 04:12   Link #8
MisaoFan
Treasure-Seeking Explorer
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Paris, France
Have you watched Kaichou wa Maid-Sama ? It's a 2010 26-episode romantic comedy TV anime adapted from a shoujo manga. The story follows Misaki Ayuzawa, the student council president at co-ed highschool (originally a all-boys school) who makes rules towards the idiot male students. However, she was born from a modest family but for some reasons, she works at maid café until one day she met the most popular guy of her school, named Takumi Usui. The anime depicts Misaki as a strong girl and able to do herself, it stoods out of other shoujo romcom in which they follows the same formula about a weak and shy girl trying to date a unemotionnal guy (In Maid-Sama, Usui isn't emotionnal, he's perverted).
__________________
<img src=http://i.imgur.com/O5yUSnx.png border=0 alt= />I will protect you from the darkness and I change my destiny.
MyAnimeList
MisaoFan is offline  
Old 2012-02-08, 04:29   Link #9
Tempester
AS's "Love Live!" Fanatic
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Listening to "SENTIMENTAL StepS" on repeat
Age: 23
It appears to me that you primarily like comedy and romance anime while disliking complex and intellectual anime. Here are a few recommendations:

Toradora
Romantic comedy series. One of my most favorite romances I've seen yet. There is some awesome drama too.

Ouran High School Host Club
Comedy with some bits of romance. Absolutely hilarious parody of many romance tropes, with a classy setting to boot.

Super Dimensional Fortress Macross
This is a classic romantic space opera series that is still loved and remembered today, and for good reason. Don't let the old and fairly bad animation get to you, because there is a lot of awesome story, humor and charm to make up for it!

Summer Wars
Sci-fi comedy with an emphasis on family values. Hilarious, action-packed and compelling, this animated movie entertains from start to finish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by symphonious7 View Post
You know I have never read a manga in my life. Not one time. It's hard for me to even imagine the appeal of anime in comic book form (and yet I know that anime is adaptation of manga by definition) but people say that all the time, so I'm gonna have to check out a manga one of these days. I'll let you guys know how that goes.
If you do pick up a manga to read, try the manga reader Mangameeya.
__________________
MyAnimeList
- - - - -
Visual novel list
- - - - -
Recently completed anime:
Girls und Panzer: Kore ga Hontou no Anzio-sen Desu!
Sakura Trick
Love Live! School Idol Project 2nd Season
Selector Infected WIXOSS
Mikakunin de Shinkoukei
Nagi no Asukara
Tempester is offline  
Old 2012-02-08, 04:32   Link #10
symphonious7
Emperor of Dorkdom
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisaoFan View Post
Have you watched Kaichou wa Maid-Sama ? It's a 2010 26-episode romantic comedy TV anime adapted from a shoujo manga. The story follows Misaki Ayuzawa, the student council president at co-ed highschool (originally a all-boys school) who makes rules towards the idiot male students. However, she was born from a modest family but for some reasons, she works at maid café until one day she met the most popular guy of her school, named Takumi Usui. The anime depicts Misaki as a strong girl and able to do herself, it stoods out of other shoujo romcom in which they follows the same formula about a weak and shy girl trying to date a unemotionnal guy (In Maid-Sama, Usui isn't emotionnal, he's perverted).
I can't say for SURE it's the anime I'm thinking of, but I think it is. The girl is really embarrassed about working at the maid cafe, and it's a really shoddy one where there's an old lady who runs it who looks disgusting in the maid outfit, am I describing the right anime? Lead character has red hair that's not teased out it lays pretty flat on her head.... If it's that anime yeah I freaking loved it. And even if it's the one I've seen I appreciate you recommending it. I'm currently going through the animeplanet list and when I'm done (it's gonna take a while though) I'll post my list results so it will be clear what I've seen and haven't. Oh and if I'm NOT thinking of the right anime, even better!
__________________
Hey, if you'd like, check out my Vlog, songs, skits, rants, on all kinds of things. I hope you'll check it out!
http://www.youtube.com/user/Symphonious7/videos
symphonious7 is offline  
Old 2012-02-08, 08:14   Link #11
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mucking about
Age: 64
I suggest you give Nodame Cantabile a try. It's a comedy set in a college-level music conservatory about a haughty young man who wants to become a conductor and a ditzy, but very talented female pianist. There are two sequels as well as the original.

I also recommend Hidamari Sketch and its sequels. Like Azumanga Daioh, it's a "cute-high-school-girls-do-cute-things" kind of show. Hidamari was made by the controversial director Shinbo Akiyuki and studio SHAFT. You might also take a look at his Dance in the Vampire Bund and Puella Magi Madoka Magica. The character models in Madoka are quite similar to those in Hidamari (they share the same designer), though the stories are literally like sunshine and darkness.
__________________
SeijiSensei is offline  
Old 2012-02-08, 11:45   Link #12
symphonious7
Emperor of Dorkdom
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Thanks for all the responses guys! As for Ouran Highschool Host club, yes it is most definitely one of my favorite animes. One of the few animes I thought had a satisfying ending to boot! Outside of that one, I don't think I've heard of any of the other suggestions so I'll have quite a few to watch for a while WEEE!!!!

And I wouldn't say I don't like any complex animes, as long as they don't have too serious a feel. Cause Samurai Champloo, Gurren Lagan, and Cowboy Bepop aren't really romantic and while they have humor they aren't goofy about it (well Gurren Lagan kind of is).. I think if it's gonna be a complex action filled anime, it's gotta be stylish and have a lively soundtrack and kind of a "guy richie" feel.

Another anime I don't like is Gundam, to give another example. But yes, great responses everyone, thanks!
__________________
Hey, if you'd like, check out my Vlog, songs, skits, rants, on all kinds of things. I hope you'll check it out!
http://www.youtube.com/user/Symphonious7/videos
symphonious7 is offline  
Old 2012-02-08, 17:44   Link #13
Kirito
Unlimited Flag Works!
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Age: 25
Send a message via MSN to Kirito Send a message via Skype™ to Kirito
Kimikiss Pure Rouge - Great romance, drama, and character development

Yosuga no Sora - Good tense moments. Kind of follows the Amagami route.

Angel Beats - Lots of action, funny, drama, and will definitely make you shed tears.
__________________
Kirito is offline  
Old 2012-02-09, 05:21   Link #14
MisaoFan
Treasure-Seeking Explorer
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Paris, France
If you like MM! and OniZenzen, you should also try Mayo Chiki! : it's about a highschool student named Kinjiro who accidentally falls into a butler named Subaru, who's actually a girl. It's released last year and has 13 episodes. Lot of funny moments, some romance and little amount of drama.
__________________
<img src=http://i.imgur.com/O5yUSnx.png border=0 alt= />I will protect you from the darkness and I change my destiny.
MyAnimeList
MisaoFan is offline  
Old 2012-02-09, 06:56   Link #15
DraGnaR
Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: holland
Age: 30
Send a message via MSN to DraGnaR Send a message via Yahoo to DraGnaR
*Love and relatoinships

Chobits ( student finds robot and it looks totally like a girl ( wont spoil it )

DearS ( same as ebove whit whit alien ( kinda )

Video Girl Ai * old but if u liked chobit ore dears watch it )

Ah! My Goddess ( u probebly know it already )

Spice and Wolf ( man travels whit a spirit in human for ) * relatoinships ( not real love )



*Epic story,s

12 kingdomes ( if u havent seen it already )


* crazy humor ( don't drink while watching )

Flcl ( if u haven seen it watch it ( epic )

Golden boy ( also epic )

Detroit metal city ( epic humor )

Midori no hibi ( as mentioned above )

Bokusatsu Tenshi Dokuro-chan ( o god i loved this )



that's all for now
DraGnaR is offline  
Old 2012-02-09, 11:48   Link #16
symphonious7
Emperor of Dorkdom
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by DraGnaR View Post
*Love and relatoinships

Chobits ( student finds robot and it looks totally like a girl ( wont spoil it )

DearS ( same as ebove whit whit alien ( kinda )

Video Girl Ai * old but if u liked chobit ore dears watch it )

Ah! My Goddess ( u probebly know it already )

Spice and Wolf ( man travels whit a spirit in human for ) * relatoinships ( not real love )



*Epic story,s

12 kingdomes ( if u havent seen it already )


* crazy humor ( don't drink while watching )

Flcl ( if u haven seen it watch it ( epic )

Golden boy ( also epic )

Detroit metal city ( epic humor )

Midori no hibi ( as mentioned above )

Bokusatsu Tenshi Dokuro-chan ( o god i loved this )



that's all for now
Detroit Metal City was good but it was so vulgar I was contstantly switching between "so funny!" To "so disturbed...." Golden Boy I've been aware of since I first got into anime, but thought the drawing style looked too old school so I never watched it, I'll give it a try since you say it's good. Is flcl isn't code for fooly cooly is it? Seen fooly cooly (sp?) and it's a little weird for me. I mean I like weird, but it's just.. dunno gives me this vibe... Let's see, Midori no Hibi I'm watching, and loving. Never seen Bokusatsu Tenshi Dokuro-chan so that's one to add to the list.

Spice and Wolf was interesting, not my usual cup of tea but I found all the talk about bartering and business practice to actually be quite interesting. Chobits is like one of my all time favorites and how I forgot to list it I'll never know. I have seen DearS but cannot remember what it was like. And lastly, 12 Kingdoms is new to me, I've never seen it, and I'm very curious to see it now that you've said it has crazy humor, if we're talking anything like Ninja Nonsense (2x2 shinobuden) then I will LOVE it.

I appreciate you taking time to recommend animes, in just a few days you guys have already given my alot to look forward too, thanks!
__________________
Hey, if you'd like, check out my Vlog, songs, skits, rants, on all kinds of things. I hope you'll check it out!
http://www.youtube.com/user/Symphonious7/videos
symphonious7 is offline  
Old 2012-02-09, 20:49   Link #17
Ledgem
Love Yourself
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Northeast USA
Age: 28
Try out Eureka Seven and Gundam Seed. They're mecha-based anime but have nice romance plots. As a bonus, they're both long series (52 episodes each, I think?), so the enjoyment lasts even longer.

There's also a sequel to Gundam Seed called Gundam Seed Destiny (another ~50 episode series). I don't really recommend for or against it - compared to Gundam Seed, it wasn't as good. I watched Seed with my wife (she loved it), but we passed on Destiny (although I watched it on my own).

Speaking of sequels, there's a sequel to Eureka Seven due to begin airing this spring.
__________________
Ledgem is offline  
Old 2012-02-09, 22:11   Link #18
Classified Info
I miss Haruhi
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Quote:
I like action animes if they have comedy and romance thrown in there too, but when it's nothing but action, it's not for me.
You like action, comedy, and loads of romance? I found an anime(and a novel), that is full of action(meaning that you don't get bored even 1sec), focused on romance(it's the basis of everything) and rich in comedy(will make you laugh). It got cool characters that don't look retarded, cute girls, and loads of action and romance. Hidan no Aria. It's about a student who is studying at an accademy where he's getting taught how to be a Butei (some sort of agent, a silent police that operates in the shadows) but he's not much willing to do so(his wish is to be a normal highschooler). But one day he's getting assaulted by some mobile machine gun popped out of nowhere, and he'll get involved with a girl since then. The first episode will give you enough hints. The anime kinda puts an enough satisfying ending, but the romance continues with the novel, and i can guarantee you that the novel isn't boring at all; actually, i found it even more interesting than the anime, with the anime being awesome, beside that there are many more missions/relationship development. Try it out
Here a pic
Spoiler for pic:
Classified Info is offline  
Old 2012-02-09, 23:22   Link #19
Drob_QB7
AYE SIR!
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Houston
You should probaly try ou Baka to Test it's a harem comedy with humorus characther interactions and situations and is quite similar to some animes you have watched
Drob_QB7 is offline  
Old 2012-02-10, 21:10   Link #20
jdennis007
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: New York
Have you seen Working yet, also Galaxy Angel is a good comedy series, if you like parody anime then look up Koikoi 7.
jdennis007 is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:36.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.