AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2011-07-03, 09:37   Link #81
totoum
Backstop
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Age: 26
Send a message via MSN to totoum
Congratulation JC staff,you didn't ruin Kishida Mel's chara designs!

On Hanasaku Iroha I trusted PA works but here I wasn't as confident.

Still makes me wonder WTF A-1 was thinking when they were doing Sora No Woto.

The soundtrack is groovin' as expected.

Looking forward to more.
__________________
totoum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-03, 09:48   Link #82
Chaos2Frozen
The Evil Within
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Drangelic, or by a different name...
Age: 25
Finally got my hands on the first episode- Definitely worth waiting for the full release to watch everything in one go. I think more Animes should start with an extended pilot episode, much like TV drama... Though the trade off is that we'll have to wait another week before any new episodes air But I think it's worth it; everything fitted nicely in one package- character introductions and a conclusive finish to the first story.


Enzo has it right; I never catch Eden, but KamiMemo has Gosick's set up, but with Durarara's setting and so far it definitely works The mystery isn't like the "Lone Environment" set up that Gosick or rather the old school detective Animes are infamous for. This might be a misconception base on only the first episode, but rather than the actual crime this show seems to focus on the dark side of society... Hmmm, that might not be the right way to say... But I can't find the words at the moment. The atmosphere was intense, but not in an action pack way- I was really hanging on to every word and every scene.


Character-wise... It's unavoidable for anyone to not compare Alice to Victorique, and Narumi to Kazuya... Hell, they even had Ayaka for an Avril I wouldn't say one is better than the other, but the feeling I get is that "they're alike, but different at the same time". To me, they quickly establish Alice to be not as 'almighty' as Victorique was in the beginning already, but still quite the dishonest tsundere though Narumi felt more like Mikado from Durarara than another Kazuya, getting swep up with the flow of everything, but at the same time, this might be what he was searching for all the while


As always, JC Staff has no qualms giving main character roles to relatively fresh voice actors. Both Ogura Yui (Alice) and Yoshitsugu Matsuoka (Narumi) only ever played small characters in small shows- If KamiMemo turns out to be a hit, this might be their big break


P.S - I know this is wrong; but I can't help but feel that they had cut their losses with Aria's finale and focus their power on KamiMemo's first episode, because everything really looked pretty here
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-03, 10:31   Link #83
Saturn Beaver
Home of Silent Prayer
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Send a message via MSN to Saturn Beaver
Well, this episode is pretty good. The main character was a total non-entity, although I suppose that's the point? And the crime is a bit too normal, although I suppose that's what makes it more realistic without much tricks and alibi shenanigans. The characters involved in the case doesn't really interest me (Shouko's problem has been done one too many times before - or at least, half of it) but they won't appear more often anyway. The character designs and music are pretty good as well, I just hope J.C.Staff won't screw this up.

Maybe I wasn't paying enough attention, but some things at the end still confuses me though:

Spoiler for Questions:
__________________
Saturn Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-03, 10:57   Link #84
Raiga
tl;dr
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Age: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn Beaver View Post
Well, this episode is pretty good. The main character was a total non-entity, although I suppose that's the point? And the crime is a bit too normal, although I suppose that's what makes it more realistic without much tricks and alibi shenanigans. The characters involved in the case doesn't really interest me (Shouko's problem has been done one too many times before - or at least, half of it) but they won't appear more often anyway. The character designs and music are pretty good as well, I just hope J.C.Staff won't screw this up.

Maybe I wasn't paying enough attention, but some things at the end still confuses me though:

Spoiler for Questions:
Spoiler:
__________________
Raiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-03, 11:34   Link #85
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Kagurazaka, Tokyo
One helpful commenter reminded me that the director of this also did Asatte no Houkou, which was a series I really liked. That makes me even more optimistic.
Guardian Enzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-03, 12:13   Link #86
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
It was interesting enough to keep my attention, but I can't say anything except for Alice hooked me onto the anime. So, I will be watching this for Alice.

Also, is it just me, or did anyone have difficulty telling people apart? I thought Miku was Alice when the MC was trying to find out Shouko's real name and was wondering why her voice sounded different. Well, that won't really be too much of a problem from now on.
OceanBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-03, 14:43   Link #87
Windows X
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
What a let down. It's not even half-good as novel and too much anime elements making this show like moe-blob ones. Maybe all the greatness of introduction have been sucked out along with Ayaka's changes of plot.

Well, I'll watch it nonetheless, at least it has more refined setup than Gosick's duo.
Windows X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-03, 14:53   Link #88
ion475
にこにこにー
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: 国立音ノ木坂学院
Well, for JC Staff, it's actually pretty good. But then, JC Staff tends to put more money on the 1st episode then it usually goes downhill from here (Cough...Index 2...Cough...)

Haven't went deep enough into the novel to make a comment on it (The prologue was WAY too long the first time I started on it and never quite get anywhere...). I don't get why people are comparing this to GOSICK, though...they're not even close to being the same other than both featuring a detective...
ion475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-03, 15:10   Link #89
justsomeguy
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
The mystery surrounding Shouko's disappearance was the most tragic story I've heard so far. I don't like the main characters much yet, but if the cases stay like that, I'll have no complaints.

@Windows X
What changes were made?
__________________
Currently watching: Kamen Rider Gaim, Ressha Sentai ToQger, Garo: Makai no Hana, Black Bullet, Brynhildr in the Darkness, Captain Earth

Currently playing: Atelier Iris 3 Grand Phantasm, Knights in the Nightmare
justsomeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-03, 15:22   Link #90
ipodi
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Haven't read the LN myself, I can't comment on this series' adaptation. The is like more like a film noir series than detective/suspense. I think the mood and atmosphere are nice, but plot-wise, too many holes are left untied (like why would the guy trick the girl into teaming up with him).
ipodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-03, 15:47   Link #91
sikvod00
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Homestead, FL
Age: 27
Nice first episode. Enjoy the character designs. Only problem I had was that it was difficult to really feel sorry for Shouko and her situation. Getting involved in prostitution because people's expectations of you are too high ...not really feeling it. I just think there are way more less drastic ways of harming you "model student" image than doing that.
sikvod00 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-03, 15:50   Link #92
Chaos2Frozen
The Evil Within
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Drangelic, or by a different name...
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipodi View Post
Haven't read the LN myself, I can't comment on this series' adaptation. The is like more like a film noir series than detective/suspense. I think the mood and atmosphere are nice, but plot-wise, too many holes are left untied (like why would the guy trick the girl into teaming up with him).
Because she knew the other side of Shouko that he didn't, for that same reason Miku continued to hang around him as well because she wanted to know the side of Shouko that she never knew- hence the comment of "Both are an important piece of the puzzle to the other".

And Film Noir movies generally involve a certain formula- this show doesn't have that

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikvod00 View Post
Nice first episode. Enjoy the character designs. Only problem I had was that it was difficult to really feel sorry for Shouko and her situation. Getting involved in prostitution because people's expectations of you are too high ...not really feeling it. I just think there are way more less drastic ways of harming you "model student" image than doing that.

I'm sure you've heard news of these things before; students getting involved with drugs, with gang, I'm not surprise about these things.

But I don't think Shouko wanted people to feel sorry for her, just to understand who she really is. And THAT, is who she is.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-03, 15:55   Link #93
Thoguht
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: UK
Now this really is an Alice game!

First, we have Alice(/Arisu) surrounded by computing power that even Lain would envy. Then we have Moggadeet the broken plushy. So who exactly is Moggadeet? (Remember, this is fiction, and nothing ever really happens by chance.) Well, s/he is a character (if you can call a giant sentient spider a character) in a Nebula Award-winning 1970's sci-fi story by Alice B. Sheldon called "Love is the Plan, the Plan is Death." Except that you would really need to do your detective work to find the Alice connection there, because she published her works under the name "James Tiptree Jr."
Thoguht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-03, 16:20   Link #94
Bonta Kun
One Punch Man!
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Resides within the depths of Ned infested Glasgow
Well that wasn't too bad I guess, alot better than their previous outtings anyway.

Didn't really care for the story tbh but Alice has got my attention, her tearing up at the end was just adroable!

I've never really been a fan for child detective stories(altho I did enjoy Gosick, it had charm in other places that made up for my "meh" feelings towards the genre)
I'm too used to detective stuff like CSI, Numbers and the sort for me to care for the "old ways" now.

Alice <3
__________________
Bonta Kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-03, 16:39   Link #95
ipodi
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Because she knew the other side of Shouko that he didn't, for that same reason Miku continued to hang around him as well because she wanted to know the side of Shouko that she never knew- hence the comment of "Both are an important piece of the puzzle to the other".

And Film Noir movies generally involve a certain formula- this show doesn't have that
.
My question is why is the guy putting up the charade and trying to get Miku to team up with him, not why Miku continues to engage in prostitution.

And film noir does not have a formula. It's a term that is used generally to describe a visual style with a focus on the the seedier side of the urban landscape. It is a genre, maybe a style, but it does not have a formula.
ipodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-03, 16:49   Link #96
Chaos2Frozen
The Evil Within
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Drangelic, or by a different name...
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipodi View Post
My question is why is the guy putting up the charade and trying to get Miku to team up with him, not why Miku continues to engage in prostitution.
And my answer is the same; using Shouko as the link, he learns more about the other side of her through Miku. Had he told her she was dead, that would be the end of their connection.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ipodi View Post
And film noir does not have a formula. It's a term that is used generally to describe a visual style with a focus on the the seedier side of the urban landscape. It is a genre, maybe a style, but it does not have a formula.
Detective or Private Investigator as main Character in a 'dark' city

-> approached by femme fatale

-> gets a simple case to find someone (eg. lost love one) or something (eg. Maltese Falcon)

-> Plot thickens involving corruption and/or organized crime

-> Femme Fatale not who she seems to be

-> ???

-> Film Noir
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-03, 17:00   Link #97
jedinat
フリーター
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Age: 28
It's a decent setup for a series. I didn't like the introductory plot... don't like prostitution in my anime. But I'd be interested in a developing relationship between Alice and Narumi.

I don't really get the NEET detective thing though. How can she be a NEET if she's a detective? I'd understand her being a hikikomori detective... but then she's not really antisocial either.
jedinat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-03, 17:04   Link #98
Chaos2Frozen
The Evil Within
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Drangelic, or by a different name...
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedinat View Post
I don't really get the NEET detective thing though. How can she be a NEET if she's a detective? I'd understand her being a hikikomori detective... but then she's not really antisocial either.
Well she's technically not employed I believe, as in no one's paying her right? She's doing this out of the... Kindness(?) of her own heart.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-03, 17:27   Link #99
justsomeguy
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
I thought it was more self-centeredness and a bit of arrogance, rather than "kindness." After all, Alice believes that she would be able to stop all the bad things in the world if she had more power.
__________________
Currently watching: Kamen Rider Gaim, Ressha Sentai ToQger, Garo: Makai no Hana, Black Bullet, Brynhildr in the Darkness, Captain Earth

Currently playing: Atelier Iris 3 Grand Phantasm, Knights in the Nightmare
justsomeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-03, 17:34   Link #100
sikvod00
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Homestead, FL
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
I'm sure you've heard news of these things before; students getting involved with drugs, with gang, I'm not surprise about these things.

But I don't think Shouko wanted people to feel sorry for her, just to understand who she really is. And THAT, is who she is.
Oh, no. I'm not contesting that teenagers get involved in those type of things, however their reasons for doing so seems more pressing\understandable than Shouko's. I really feel bad that she's had to endure living up to other people's unrealistic expectations of her, including her own best friend. That is a heavy burden for a young person to have, since they are still searching for who they are. But getting involved in prostitution so as to spite others and teach them a lesson...meh. Like I said, there are other ways of expressing yourself and being "you" that aren't so self-destructive.
sikvod00 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
bromance, comedy, drama, slice of life

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:27.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.