AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Bleach

Notices

Old 2011-02-18, 22:44   Link #81
CuXe
Loving Romeo X Juliet

...... A Swastika fullbring ............ hmm ............ REALLY?
CuXe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-19, 01:25   Link #82
ronin myael
lost ronin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabaku Kyu View Post
Oh ok. "Give the guy some bread". I was skimming the posts, glanced at it and for a moment I thought you wrote ... well nevermind

Bread. Yes, good wholesome bread...
wholesome indeed! lol

Quote:
The others will put their hands on his badge and by their powers combined he will be Captain Planet a shinigami again.
it would be nice if he could clean up kubo's mess. get rid of all this pollution!!!!
Old 2011-02-19, 02:26   Link #83
Kinku
Hate a Hater.Love a Lover

Send a message via MSN to Kinku
I found Ichigo Fullbring Interesting.. at first I thought it was going to be some kind of bow or something like Ishida ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freya View Post
Who cares if it is. Is Ichigo a Nazi now? -_-
I was afraid someone would say this... please look up Swastika before calling Ichigo Nazi
Old 2011-02-19, 05:06   Link #84
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by secretzfan
Not really the story seems planed out this chapter though makes it seems a little random, but weridly I think he has a villain coming up. For now all I can say is Ginjou Kuggo and these punks along with bookman maybe working for him.
There's no such thing as "chapter story," only plot can do that. If you've got a idea of the so called story happening, by all means, lets hear it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinku View Post
I was afraid someone would say this... please look up Swastika before calling Ichigo Nazi
Technically, it used to be "lucky charm," but then it was turned into "symbol of the Nazi party," so yeah by todays definition and expectations Ichigo is a nazi (ie. biological racist). You could argue that "well 1000 years ago blah-blah if we disect it's latin roots and ignore everything blah blah it doesn't mean anything bad," but the point would only be valid if the majority of readers actually were so endowed with knowledge and Kubo was known for being extremely symbolic; do I have to remind you how he comes up with names?
Old 2011-02-19, 08:52   Link #85
Langus
Optimus Prime

It's not a swastika.

Are we really gonna have to put up with this question every single week?
Old 2011-02-19, 09:05   Link #86
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langus View Post
It's not a swastika.
Uh…what is it then?
Old 2011-02-19, 09:13   Link #87
Chiisai Kuma
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinku View Post
I found Ichigo Fullbring Interesting.. at first I thought it was going to be some kind of bow or something like Ishida ..

look at the frontcover of volume 19 of bleach and you may find hes right ¬_¬

sig made by the wonderful Godlike1889
http://forums.animesuki.com/member.php?u=80506
Chiisai Kuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-19, 09:39   Link #88
kitten320

Ok... looks like Getsu-rasengan jokes were not far fletched after all -_-

Very original...
Old 2011-02-19, 09:57   Link #89
Kallen4life

Quote:
It's not a swastika.
.. the chapter IS called Swastika Break and it looks like a swastika

not that this has anything to do with Nazi, of course
We are Blackwatch
We are the last line of defense
We will burn our own to hold the red line, it is the last line to ever hold
Kallen4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-19, 10:22   Link #90
Fran~
floating away...

Quote:
It's not a swastika.
It is... there are several classes of swastikas: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swastika
And please, read how important they are for Buddhism and Hinduism.
Old 2011-02-19, 10:48   Link #91
Langus
Optimus Prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
Uh…what is it then?
In Japan it's called a manji and has a completely different meaning than the modern understanding of "swastika". It's also typically shown at a different orientation from the German version (either mirrored or rotated horizontal, though this second version is only used on maps to denote where a temple is).

Hence, why it is NOT a swastika.
Old 2011-02-19, 11:08   Link #92
Slayerx

Are we really gonna have to go though this every chapter from now on?
i'm sure we can find new things to snark about in every chapter
Old 2011-02-19, 11:17   Link #93
Fran~
floating away...

Quote:
In Japan it's called a manji and has a completely different meaning than the modern understanding of "swastika". It's also typically shown at a different orientation from the German version (either mirrored or rotated horizontal, though this second version is only used on maps to denote where a temple is).

Hence, why it is NOT a swastika.
It's the same thing...
Quote:
The Mandarin "wan" is a homophone for the number 10,000 and is commonly used to represent the whole of Creation, e.g. 'the myriad things' in the Dao De Jing.

In Japan, the swastika is called manji. Since the Middle Ages, it has been used as a coat of arms by various Japanese families. On Japanese maps, a swastika (left-facing and horizontal) is used to mark the location of a Buddhist temple. The right-facing manji is often referred to as the gyaku manji (逆卍, lit. "reverse manji"), and can also be called kagi jūji (literally "hook cross").

In Chinese and Japanese art, the swastika is often found as part of a repeating pattern. One common pattern, called sayagata in Japanese, comprises left- and right-facing swastikas joined by lines.[25] As the negative space between the lines has a distinctive shape, the sayagata pattern is sometimes called the "key fret" motif in English.
About the western meaning of the swastika, its origin it's the same INDIA... and it has the same meaning as a charm of good luck. Pilots in WWI already used it. Besides, you can find swastikas even in pre-christian Europe.

Quote:
The word swastika came from the Sanskrit word svastika, meaning any lucky or auspicious object, and in particular a mark made on persons and things to denote good luck. It is composed of su- meaning "good, well" and asti "to be" svasti thus means "well-being." The suffix -ka either forms a diminutive or intensifies the verbal meaning, and svastika might thus be translated literally as "that which is associated with well-being," corresponding to "lucky charm" or "thing that is auspicious."[1] The word in this sense is first used in the Harivamsa.[2] As noted by Monier-Williams in his Sanskrit-English dictionary, according to Alexander Cunningham, its shape represents a monogram formed by interlacing of the letters of the auspicious words su-astí (svasti) written in Ashokan characters.[3]

The Sanskrit term has been in use in English since 1871, replacing gammadion (from Greek γαμμάδιον). Alternative historical English spellings of the Sanskrit word include suastika, swastica and svastica.
Even the origin of the word "swastika" came from India!.

Last edited by Fran~; 2011-02-19 at 11:29.
Fran~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-19, 11:24   Link #94
Langus
Optimus Prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran~ View Post
It's the same thing, in fact, it doesn't mean only "manji" the character (as always) comes from China and it spreads to several other nations (Korea). The orientation has nothing to do, means the same, but one orientation is more used than the other. That's all.
In Japan the orientation changes depending on how it's being used - to show the located of a temple on a map vs. being used as part of a coat of arms

Regardless of that, I realize the symbol is used in other countries and has other meanings. But let's face it - BLEACH is a Japanese manga, written by a Japanese man, and set in Japan.

I'm gonna stick with the Japanese usage & reading on this one.
Old 2011-02-19, 11:33   Link #95
Fran~
floating away...

Swastika, Wan and Manji are referring the same thing.

The only diference is that Wan, took another concept. But we don't know if Kubo is referring to "good luck" or "myriad".
Old 2011-02-19, 11:56   Link #96
ronin myael
lost ronin

i think the question is whether the title of the chapter is really "swastika break" or simply a different translation of the original. most of these chapters are altered to suit the western readers, so even the translations could differ.
Old 2011-02-19, 12:14   Link #97
AuroraFlash
good-natured spirit
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via ICQ to AuroraFlash Send a message via MSN to AuroraFlash
OMG
Sorry, this title... xD

Who is that guy who's after Inoue? Could it be... one of the more evil fullbring users?
Old 2011-02-19, 12:47   Link #98
Langus
Optimus Prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin myael View Post
i think the question is whether the title of the chapter is really "swastika break" or simply a different translation of the original. most of these chapters are altered to suit the western readers, so even the translations could differ.
Most likely the latter since it's the term the majority of Western audiences (aka scanlation readers) would recognize.
Old 2011-02-19, 12:52   Link #99
Chiisai Kuma
*Artist

sig made by the wonderful Godlike1889
http://forums.animesuki.com/member.php?u=80506
Chiisai Kuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-19, 13:37   Link #100
paradox13
zzz

Send a message via MSN to paradox13
Quote:
Swastika, Wan and Manji are referring the same thing.
The Swastika faces one way, and is the symbol of Nazism and the Manji faces the other way, and is the symbol of Buddhism.

So how is it the same thing?

Thats like saying the star of david is the same as the star on the Vietnamese flag.

Tags
weekly spoiler discussion