AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Madoka Magica

Notices

View Poll Results: Madoka Magica - Episode 07 Rating
Perfect 10 57 40.71%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 47 33.57%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 23 16.43%
7 out of 10 : Good 9 6.43%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 2.14%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 0.71%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2011-02-23, 09:50   Link #701
Dharma

Send a message via ICQ to Dharma
Quote:
Originally Posted by garbage View Post
sorry for being emotional, but yeah that hits to the bone we don't need no well to do guy from well to do country telling us we're fucked up and miserable because we're poor, and to hell with all their psychological "studies"
You a bit overreacting here. That is facts and you can do nothing to change that. Fact is not to be denied but to be studied. If you look closely you will see that those statistics are not describing situation of poor third world countries but situation in rich first world countries. And Japan is one of first world countries. Actually, if you look at the original article it will become clear that it is about America. Being poor in reach country mean you failed in life, often not only in your own eyes but in eyes of people surrounding you. You mentioned community but in reach country you alone. Compare with what you described. Does you feel guilty just for being born poor? Hardly so - it is nonsense. It seems to me you see it as challenge to overcome and it is exactly the right mindset in such situation.
Does Kyoko’s father have such mindset? Hardly so. As you did say, people like your mother do not kill own families. He needed “miracle” - not necessary supernatural but external - to save him. It doesn't work out. It is hard to speculate why, and more importantly who is the one to blame. Even such wish can be granted in good manner but probably not when little girl asking for it and not very sensitive QB granting.
Old 2011-02-23, 11:42   Link #702
garbage

@Dharma
ahaha yes i know i'm a bit over reacting there, that's why the "sorry", but still it's also a big stretch for me when some say or imply that just because one is poor then they are on the path to self destruction as if it's already a given, that they are already fucked up and miserable, and to even suggest that murdering your family and committing suicide was the better alternative. regardless where they are from.

I would admit that material possessions , or "wealth" do have some effect on people's happiness. but it's NOT the main contributor to happiness, but rather finding your self-worth and life's meaning.material possessions can only help you so much in reaching that. Here you said
Quote:
Being poor in reach ( you meant rich? )country mean you failed in life, often not only in your own eyes but in eyes of people surrounding you
but i say that depends on the person if his goal in life is to BE RICH? then yes. to BE FAMOUS?, then probably yes too, but remember HE IS A PASTOR, being rich don't strike me as his main goal in life. Have you ever wondered why there are so many rich unhappy people and happy poor ones? I would say Mother Theresa seems happy & satisfied enough with her life , although she might have wanted to help more.

and BTW the fact that it is a study about poverty in America then makes it invalid in the show setting. social situation between the US and japan are hardly similar, even if they are both 1st world countries.

now in terms of Kyoko's father i admit it might have gone bad, he might still have killed his family and himself without the wish, BUT WE DON'T KNOW THAT. for that matter a meteor could have hit their house the next day and killed them too, the meteor would not care if they're rich or poor. In fact the reverse could have happened. It is possible that people would have started listening to him naturally. Even while they were struggling he was still doing his best to go on with his mission, his life's work. it was hard , but he was still kind and loving to Kyoko and his family. He was STILL DOING HIS LIFE'S WORK, there is still meaning in his life. And lo and behold here comes the great "miracle" which suddenly invalidates everything he was doing. won't you crack up too? You see I don't agree with you that he needs a "miracle" to save him. (maybe Kyoko did, but that's different, especially since this is a young girl who doesn't really understand life yet ) I think he would be happier if he was able to reach just one person with his words than have a massive congregation of mindless automatons. He would have been Happier knowing Kyoko believed in him and fully supports him.
Quote:
Even such wish can be granted in good manner but probably not when little girl asking for it and not very sensitive QB granting.
as I've said i don't agree that he needs a wish in the first place. but I agree that with a little girl making the wish and QB doing the granting => doesn't really look good, which is putting it mildly. and we all know the actual result of Kyoko's wish don't we.

Last edited by garbage; 2011-02-23 at 11:53.
garbage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-23, 12:01   Link #703
Vanish

Send a message via Skype™ to Vanish
@SagaraSouske
Points taken, we generally agree with each other then (with slight differences in opinion).
Vanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-23, 12:48   Link #704
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
Quote:
REALLY NOW! and you know this for a FACT? really you make it sound that the wish was the best thing that could have happened to kyoko and her family. wow

then may i ask you this. Are you poor? have you ever been poor?

*snip*

sorry for being emotional, but yeah that hits to the bone we don't need no well to do guy from well to do country telling us we're fucked up and miserable because we're poor, and to hell with all their psychological "studies"
First off, calm down. And second of all, I have been relatively poor at times in my life. I know exactly what it's like to not know when your next meal is coming, or if you'll be able to afford your rent or mortgage payment next month.

The only thing I was inferring about Kyoko's situation, is that it was bad, and was likely to get worse naturally. All the wish did was give her temporary happiness. Was it the best thing that could have happened? No; people could have come to listen to her father naturally. But I do feel the wish was a good thing overall, because it gave her a chance. When life gives you a chance, it is up to you to realize it; Kyoko, due to lack of understanding, flubbed her chance.

So really, we could question whether it was better for Kyoko to watch her family die (starve to death), or have some happiness before watching her family die (father goes nus).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkeus View Post
Really now? Kyuubey actually talks like it's a choice to make a soul gem like it is. So, no.
It's not quite that simple. Doing the current soul gem process makes it so MG's can withstand greater damage and pain. Given the harshness of witches, we'd be looking at more dead MG's if the soul wasn't removed. The first time they got injured in a fight, they'd be dead meat.

It's like sending a soldier into harm's way without body armor, knowing they won't survive without it.

Quote:
He'll have no clue to protect the right eye. IT is pretty obvious MG would fight very differently if they knew the soul gem is their sole weakness.
All this is predisposed on the assumption that somehow the soul gem is a weakness. That is, it is somehow *less* protected in a gem than in the body. Given what Kyube says, this is not the case; the soul more *more* protected in the gem than in the body. For instance, if you dipped an MG into lava, their body would be horribly destroyed but the gem might survive, since it is hardier than the body. So really, the gem is more of a strong point.

Quote:
No they haven't. Kyuubey said it was to make magical girl *more* effective (as in, they could be less effective magical girls without it).

You could say it's not a bad thing if they were aware of the fact and chose it. In hte present situation, they don't know to protect it so it doesn't help half as much as it could, and they have no choice about it either.
Given that the gem is hardier than their bodies, they don't really need to protect it so much. It's armor for the soul.

It's interesting that Kyube says, "I could never ask you girls to fight witches with weak, easily damaged bodies..." Might indicate a bit of a conscience there, that he does care, and wouldn't send girls into battle without armor.

Quote:
There is also the simple fact that a MG that has her body being destroyed won't be able to heal without the help of kyuubey when if they knew about it they could have contigencies and so on.
How do you know they can't heal without Kyube? The only ability the girls seem to need for Kyube for, is telepathy, and even that is just passing mental messages back and forth. Nothing else has been shown. Perhaps the girls can heal their own bodies with magic, and Sayaka just does it much faster and easier due to her special skill.
Kaijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-23, 14:10   Link #705
SagaraSouske

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
a
I already discussed this with kaijo quite a bit after episode 6 but I still stand by what I said back then,the only reason Madoka showed up at the Sayaka/Kyoko fight in episode 6 was because QB went out and got her,so he created the situation "Madoka sees Kyoko and Sayaka fight" in the hope that after seeing Sayaka on the verge of death she'd decide to become a MG to save her life.Things didn't go as planned but I still believe that was his original intent when going to get Madoka.

I remember what Kaijo said,what I'm interested in is your points.
That's my thoughts as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Falling View Post
With regards to all the talk of Kyubey's "methods" here, I have a question:
What is exactly the cause of Sayaka's suffering right now? Here are two options for you:
- the fact that she has been made into a shiny rock/soulless zombie, OR
- the fact that she knows about it?

I think no advantage or explanation yet has been given for why Kyubey not talking about the Soul Gem is a bad thing. ...
The point is that if those were known before the contract, most girls will really have to make decision based on full knowledge of what they are going into. Many may simply choose not to contract. They will also give more consideration on what type of wish to be made and the consequences of their wish.

Last edited by Daniel E.; 2011-02-23 at 14:49. Reason: The edit button is your friend!
SagaraSouske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-23, 16:37   Link #706
Arkeus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaijo View Post

It's not quite that simple. Doing the current soul gem process makes it so MG's can withstand greater damage and pain. Given the harshness of witches, we'd be looking at more dead MG's if the soul wasn't removed. The first time they got injured in a fight, they'd be dead meat.

Quote:

All this is predisposed on the assumption that somehow the soul gem is a weakness. That is, it is somehow *less* protected in a gem than in the body. Given what Kyube says, this is not the case; the soul more *more* protected in the gem than in the body. For instance, if you dipped an MG into lava, their body would be horribly destroyed but the gem might survive, since it is hardier than the body. So really, the gem is more of a strong point.
I was talking about telling the MG in order for the MG to know to protect the soul gem.

the soul gem IS a weakness.

Did you forget what a casual use of magic on a soul gem does to the MG? are you actually trying to say it's not something to protect against?

TRhe soul gem *is* a weakness, there is no doubt about. it is also unknown how resistant it is-it could very well be weak enough to break from falling from a bridge, for example.
Quote:
Given that the gem is hardier than their bodies, they don't really need to protect it so much. It's armor for the soul.
of course they do, it's been shown attacking the soul gem make it easy to attack the soul. Soul gem is contingency for the body (or else it's there of the witch to eat).

Quote:
It's interesting that Kyube says, "I could never ask you girls to fight witches with weak, easily damaged bodies..." Might indicate a bit of a conscience there, that he does care, and wouldn't send girls into battle without armor.
or that he actually want MG to kill witches.
Quote:
How do you know they can't heal without Kyube? The only ability the girls seem to need for Kyube for, is telepathy, and even that is just passing mental messages back and forth. Nothing else has been shown. Perhaps the girls can heal their own bodies with magic, and Sayaka just does it much faster and easier due to her special skill.
Because the girl who lost her body can't heal herself, and the girls who DON'T KNOW about the soul gem don't know the MG is alive.

basically, the soul gem becomes a prison unless kyuubey comes right now (and as they seem to fight in other-world, it will most likely get taken by the witch).
Arkeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-23, 17:14   Link #707
fukarming

Quote:
@Dharma
ahaha yes i know i'm a bit over reacting there, that's why the "sorry", but still it's also a big stretch for me when some say or imply that just because one is poor then they are on the path to self destruction as if it's already a given, that they are already fucked up and miserable, and to even suggest that murdering your family and committing suicide was the better alternative. regardless where they are from.

I would admit that material possessions , or "wealth" do have some effect on people's happiness. but it's NOT the main contributor to happiness, but rather finding your self-worth and life's meaning.material possessions can only help you so much in reaching that. Here you said but i say that depends on the person if his goal in life is to BE RICH? then yes. to BE FAMOUS?, then probably yes too, but remember HE IS A PASTOR, being rich don't strike me as his main goal in life. Have you ever wondered why there are so many rich unhappy people and happy poor ones? I would say Mother Theresa seems happy & satisfied enough with her life , although she might have wanted to help more.

and BTW the fact that it is a study about poverty in America then makes it invalid in the show setting. social situation between the US and japan are hardly similar, even if they are both 1st world countries.

now in terms of Kyoko's father i admit it might have gone bad, he might still have killed his family and himself without the wish, BUT WE DON'T KNOW THAT. for that matter a meteor could have hit their house the next day and killed them too, the meteor would not care if they're rich or poor. In fact the reverse could have happened. It is possible that people would have started listening to him naturally. Even while they were struggling he was still doing his best to go on with his mission, his life's work. it was hard , but he was still kind and loving to Kyoko and his family. He was STILL DOING HIS LIFE'S WORK, there is still meaning in his life. And lo and behold here comes the great "miracle" which suddenly invalidates everything he was doing. won't you crack up too? You see I don't agree with you that he needs a "miracle" to save him. (maybe Kyoko did, but that's different, especially since this is a young girl who doesn't really understand life yet ) I think he would be happier if he was able to reach just one person with his words than have a massive congregation of mindless automatons. He would have been Happier knowing Kyoko believed in him and fully supports him.

as I've said i don't agree that he needs a wish in the first place. but I agree that with a little girl making the wish and QB doing the granting => doesn't really look good, which is putting it mildly. and we all know the actual result of Kyoko's wish don't we.
The main problem with Kyoko's father, is not only about absolute wealth. Like you said, he is a pastor. Even if he is successful, he should not be driving a Ferrari. However, he would have no problem of surviving if he is successful as a pastor. He can simply go around doing house visit and people going to his church would be more than happy to treat him dinner once every couple month. For them to be starving, that would mean no one listen to him, he was kicked out by the church and I can imagine people avoiding him, gossiping about "that Heretic", actually it was shown people pour water on him, and that is how bad it is. The "poor" here, is a mindset, that no one listen, or appreciate him no matter how he tried. He is basically an unemployed man. I think it is safe to say how being unemployed can wreck ones mind, especially an idealistic person like Kyoko's father, who want to make a difference in life.
Then they came for me and force me to be a vegan by that time no one was left to speak up.
fukarming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-23, 17:37   Link #708
Sol Falling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkeus View Post
I was talking about telling the MG in order for the MG to know to protect the soul gem.

the soul gem IS a weakness.

Did you forget what a casual use of magic on a soul gem does to the MG? are you actually trying to say it's not something to protect against?

TRhe soul gem *is* a weakness, there is no doubt about. it is also unknown how resistant it is-it could very well be weak enough to break from falling from a bridge, for example.
Mahou shoujos know they need to clear darkness from their Soul Gems anyway. (And also that they probably shouldn't throw their Soul Gem off a bridge :P). What you are saying doesn't change anything.

Quote:
of course they do, it's been shown attacking the soul gem make it easy to attack the soul. Soul gem is contingency for the body (or else it's there of the witch to eat).
The 'soul' in the Puella Magi universe is a person's sense of pain, nervous system, and consciousness. With a normal body, your 'soul' is being attacked whenever you are hurt anywhere. And conversely, with a Soul Gem, attacking it wouldn't hurt any more than being smashed/slashed/stabbed for a normal human. So no, the Soul Gem doesn't make you any more vulnerable (unless you are just throwing it around and separating it from yourself like Sayaka was doing).

Quote:
Because the girl who lost her body can't heal herself, and the girls who DON'T KNOW about the soul gem don't know the MG is alive.

basically, the soul gem becomes a prison unless kyuubey comes right now (and as they seem to fight in other-world, it will most likely get taken by the witch).
No, Kyuubey doesn't have anything to do with the healing. The magic of the Soul Gem heals the body by itself. It would probably take a whole lot of magic to regenerate an entire body (perhaps its not even possible), but an MG who is injured/hurt starts healing automatically, there is no need for any interference.
HappinessCharge Precure 100/5 :: Stardust Crusaders 80/5 :: Mushishi S2 90/5 :: Akuma no Riddle: 15/5 :: Inugami-san to Nekoyama-san 24/5 :: GochiUsa 33/5 :: Soul Eater NOT! 18/5 :: Love Live! S2 80/5
Summer: Sailor Moon Crystal 24/5 :: Hanayamata 30/5 :: Locodol 30/5 :: Yama no Susume 100/5 :: Momo Kyun Sword 11/5
God-tier yuri oneshot mangaka: Minase Ruruu
Yuri Precure otaku manga: Shinozaki-san ki wo ota shika ni
Awesome shoujo manga: Last Game
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-23, 18:57   Link #709
BaKaBaKaOtaKu
Stupidity is Bliss.

xD this is awesome. this thread has over 700 replies already. XDD let's see if ep. 08 surpasses this,(w/c i think it will.) XDD
BaKaBaKaOtaKu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-23, 19:15   Link #710
Arkeus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Falling View Post
Mahou shoujos know they need to clear darkness from their Soul Gems anyway. (And also that they probably shouldn't throw their Soul Gem off a bridge :P). What you are saying doesn't change anything.
i have no clue what's the relation with that and what i said.

Quote:
So no, the Soul Gem doesn't make you any more vulnerable (unless you are just throwing it around and separating it from yourself like Sayaka was doing).
and i never said it did.

what i said is that not knowing what your soul gem is makes you extremely vulnerable, *as soul gem have been shown to be extremely delicate to attack and MG do not know that*.

Quote:
No, Kyuubey doesn't have anything to do with the healing. The magic of the Soul Gem heals the body by itself. It would probably take a whole lot of magic to regenerate an entire body (perhaps its not even possible), but an MG who is injured/hurt starts healing automatically, there is no need for any interference.
Bulshit.

there are actual healing spells. If the body is destroyed, the soul gem is most likely in the hand of the witch (OM NOM NOM), and if there was another MG or someone who could have helped, the person wouldn't, because, you know, he/she doesn't know she could.

oops.
Arkeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-23, 19:37   Link #711
Silverwyrm

Both the ideas that the gem heals the body on its own, or that healing spells are needed are complete speculation. So far the only self healing we have seen was Sayaka's attributed to her by her wish. We don't know and haven't seen if other MG's heal on their own or use spells when they are hurt.

However it is true that if the body is destroyed, the gem is likely in the hands/maws of a witch.
Silverwyrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-23, 19:51   Link #712
totoum
Oppai warrior

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Well QB does say you can heal bodies with magic,even if it's pretty vague.In fact Mami heals QB's body with magic at the end of episode 1.
Old 2011-02-23, 20:05   Link #713
Silverwyrm

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
Well QB does say you can heal bodies with magic,even if it's pretty vague.In fact Mami heals QB's body with magic at the end of episode 1.
This is true, but I still feel more information is needed before claiming an absolute fact. I do recall Kyubey mentioning they could still survive with their bodied destroyed due to the gem though, which is interesting and I'd like to know more, seeing as they could hardly heal themselves in that condition.
Old 2011-02-23, 22:14   Link #714
Deconstructor
Crossdressing Menmatic

Anyway, Kyubey aside, this episode is all about Kyoko's tragic past.

Kyoko thought she could wish for her father's happiness. And for a brief time, her family was happy. Kyoko's father had a legion of followers, and he could afford to feed his family.

Unfortunately... wishes have a nasty habit of backfiring upon the wisher. Kyoko's father found out that he was preaching to a mass of mindless zombies. Somehow, Kyoko's secret as a Puella Magi was also uncovered. He proceeded to kill the rest of Kyoko's family and committed suicide. Needless to say, Kyoko was traumatized for a long, long time.

I feel that Kyoko's situation is not atypical of real life. Whenever we do something with good intentions, there is always the chance that our actions will backfire. I give a poor man a small amount of money; the poor man is ecstatic. He runs off in bliss, only to be robbed and killed by another poor man.

We all lack the foresight to predict the future... by solving one problem, we unintentionally start another. When Kyoko made her wish, she only saw her father in a position of success and fortune. But Kyoko never truly understood why her father preached religious dogma, and that lead to her whole family's undoing. The transient happiness she experienced was heavily outweighed by subsequent despair. That despair lasts a lifetime.

The cycle continues with Sayaka. She thought that if Kyosuke was happy, then she would be happy. But if Kyosuke can be the source of Sayaka's happiness, then he can surely be a source of sadness as well.

Sayaka, you fool!

Last edited by CrowKenobi; 2011-02-24 at 00:40. Reason: Removed off-topic meta post quote and reply...
Deconstructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-23, 22:29   Link #715
Triple_R
Center Attraction

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R

Well, speaking for myself, I intend to be active on the Episode 8 thread after I've watched the sub.

For a change of pace, I'm going to really try to steer myself away from Kyubey-centric discussions, and say more about the other characters.

Last edited by CrowKenobi; 2011-02-24 at 00:41. Reason: Removed off-topic meta-post quote
Triple_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-23, 22:37   Link #716
Silverwyrm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Well, speaking for myself, I intend to be active on the Episode 8 thread after I've watched the sub.

For a change of pace, I'm going to really try to steer myself away from Kyubey-centric discussions, and say more about the other characters.
technically speaking, we are way off topic for much of this thread and a lot of it should be in kyubey or speculation discussions, that might be what the problem was.
Old 2011-03-28, 23:18   Link #717
MrSandman

Sandman here, time for my 2 cents.

Spoiler for Madoka Magica Episode 7:
MrSandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-04, 13:18   Link #718
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Kyubei makes his point in this episode and explains quite a bit about being a magical girl. It kind of makes sense to find some way of protecting the body during combat and it is true that Sayaka should have asked for the full details on being a magical girl before she did like you should for any kind of contract. It's pretty clear that Kyubei doesn't abide by full disclosure, so now would have been the time to ask if there's anything else she ought to know about. I somehow think it would answer the questions, but otherwise you'll never know unless you ask it. Of course Sayaka did ask it why it did this to her, but we never get to see if there was an answer for that or not.

Luckily Akemi seems to have answers for Madoka. It makes sense that Kyubei would be a creature that doesn't seem to understand human values since he's basically demonstrated that many times. I sense no real malice from the thing, just a complete lack of understanding of human suffering. It would also appear that the magical girl system operates under the law of equivalent exchange which again would explain the price for a miracle being so costly. It's all starting to come together.

Kyoko's backstory in this episode certainly explained a lot. I never would have figured that she was being selfish with her wishes just so that they wouldn't backfire on others like they did on someone she cared about. Can the same possibly happen to Sayaka's friend in some way? This series certainly is bitter enough to make that a possibility.

Anyway the balance issue came up again and in it all Sayaka really frustrated this episode. So the acts of saving Hitomi and Kyosuke ultimately cancelled each other out in Hitomi wanting to start a relationship with Kyosuke. You can still try to have a relationship with him without actually being in your own body. This strikes me as a superficial issue in the long run. Now if you're worried about hurting him by dying the way Mami did I can understand, but the way she's looking at it seems a little to melodramatic and dare I say even a little emo. Though granted all the things that have happened I suppose the shock of it all might be what's effecting her judgement in all of this to the point where she's looking like she's going a little crazy at the end of the episode.

I almost think that Madoka is going to have to get involved in all of this in order to see a proper balance that works out for the better instead of for the worse. It's like she's the only character that's capable of sitting back and pondering the situation and hasn't already come into all of this with a rigid view already in mind. Her acting as an observer instead of an active participant may very well pay dividends in the long run, but it might now be the time to stop crying and take action since Sayaka is currently going down the road that Mami did (overagressive unsafe fighting style) and won't accept help from Kyoko or Akemi any time soon.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-04, 15:56   Link #719
Archon_Wing
Hater
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Ah, damn fine print. Kyubey is as evil as my ISP. "But you didn't ask"

/despair.
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-04, 20:54   Link #720
Triple_R
Center Attraction

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Pretty good thoughts, Kaioshin. They're pretty close to my own after I had first watched Episode 7.

One area where I differed with Sayaka was her overall reaction to the soul gem reveal (in general, I felt that that anime as a whole overplayed it a bit). I can certainly see where it would be... discomforting, but I myself never really saw why it would mean that she couldn't be with Kamijo romantically. Perhaps Sayaka just felt that she couldn't compete with the beautiful Hitomi, and decided to shroud those feelings behind discomfort over the soul gem reveal.

Your observations on Madoka in particular are very astute I think.