AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2011-02-22, 03:36   Link #41
zeth006

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainLegacy View Post
100% yes. There was a period from the age of 12 to the age of maybe 16 that I could gobble up all types of anime and get a high return on my time investment by being fully entertained. Nowadays, I hesitate to even invest 20 minutes to watch the first episode of a new series.

I think there are a few reasons for this. One is that I exhausted a great deal of amazing anime series during that above mentioned period of my life. Another is simply youthful naivete, in the past five years I feel like I've become slightly more sophisticated in how I choose to spend my time and thus hesitate to waste an hour a night on anime (don't get me wrong I still waste time lol, just much less). Lastly, and this probably contributes the least but is nonetheless still a factor: modern anime have begun to drift out of the realm of my tastes; less focus on sci-fi and action and much more focus on high school children/other similar things. I greatly enjoy high quality romance/slife-of-life shows, but they are not enough to keep my interest usually.

I'd also attribute it to a lot of anime sucking these days and lacking depth, but you are so right!

Anyone remember Vandread? I haven't seen but a handful of other anime come close to rivaling it in depth. That was one of the best anime of its time. Casting that aside, it's most definitely the epitome of a well-done sci-fi anime.
zeth006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-22, 03:37   Link #42
zeth006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectacular_Insanity View Post
As all things of popularity, anime has it's ebbs and flows. Late 2010 was kinda tough for me, as there weren't a lot of series I particularly enjoyed, aside from the standard serializations. There were, of course, exceptions (Toaru Majutsu no Index II, Bakuman), but for the most part I wasn't seeing any NEW series that immediately caught my attention.

However, 2011 is giving me new hope, as several series have caught my attention:

Beelzebub
Infinite Stratos
Rio ~Rainbow Gate~
Level E

And of course I'm still following Naruto, Bleach, and Fairy Tail. My stubbornness to see them to their conclusion, no matter how long that may take, keeps me from dropping these series.
For April 2011, Ao No Exorcist looks like the perfect fix for this shonen addict.
zeth006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-22, 12:02   Link #43
idiffer

Send a message via ICQ to idiffer
well, sort of yes. besides anime sucking these days really hard, i do find that i've grown since the time i started watching anime, which was at age 18 (yeah, believe it?). actually it's difficult to say. for example, some anime are just too childish for me now. like fate stay night or Tenchi muyo. although, lol, i started watching Naruto only a year ago and think it's very inspiring, with only very few things being stupid.
then again for the most part, even when i only started watching anime, i could seperate the good stuff from the bad most times. after 5 years, Maburaho still seems shitty, Kare kano still is a masterpiece. of course the tropes get old, but still good anime uses them creatively and efficiently, bad anime barely makes an effort. and for the most i could see that even as a noob.
so in the end, its best to say that my tastes just changed. i can now watch anime that i would not have 5 years ago, and i can't watch some shit i used to 5 years ago. and some just stay the same.
c) Your mind is too narrow to embrace my genius, de geso.
d) I was accidentally dropped into a barrel of whiskey, so now I am constantly drunk.
e) Go home and die! Dattebayo!
idiffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-22, 13:01   Link #44
Kamui4356
Aria Company

For a while I was, having trouble finding even one or two shows to hold my interest, but the past two seasons have been pretty good.
Old 2011-02-22, 14:31   Link #45
-Breakthrough-

Personally, yes. Back in Fall 2006, I would watch just about any new season show and I'd easily eat it up.

Now, my tastes vary. I dont look for any "specific genre" but I only watch what I find interesting. As of now, I'm only watching two Winter 2011 shows.
-Breakthrough- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-22, 19:52   Link #46
4Tran

There's a lot of truth in what you say. I've been a little out of the loop of current anime for a while now, and a lot of that is because my interest have drifted a bit, but more than a bit is because I'm less tolerant of some of the quirks in anime. At the same time, this is rather ironic because I also think that the overall quality of anime has been relatively stable for quite a while.

Nevertheless, the problems seem to manifest most strongly in the mediocre works. For example: there's always been a strong streak of anime being self-congratulatory, but it's gotten a lot worse in the recent years. Beach, cultural festival, New Year's episodes and the like have always been common in anime, but they've been joined by the cosplay, Akihabara visit, and Comiket episodes. These latter did exist in the past, but they're far more frequent nowadays. As a part of this trend, anime comedy relies far more on parodies of other anime now than they used to as well. While this is fine for viewers who get a lot out of otaku culture, it makes such shows far less accessible than they have to be and it's not very entertaining for those who don't find them funny.

A similar problem lies in how anime is eating itself. By this I mean that a lot of anime are based on either older anime or manga. The most telling illustration of this I could find is in Bakuman. The show is about budding mangakas as they venture into the field. What I find remarkable about this is that their studio is extremely well-stocked, but also seems to consist entirely of manga. In other literary fields, we would expect the author to not only read books in his respective genre, but lots of other material as well: history, science, philosophy and so forth. If this reliance on previous works in the field is reflectively prevalent of the industry (and it does indeed seem so for a large portion), then it explains why so very many works feel like the regurgitation of previous ones.

Of course, it's not all bad and there's still plenty to like from shows that exhibit some of the above problems. Moreover, there are also lots of anime that are quite original and well-constructed and easy to like. However, all of these problems do have an effect, and combined with the problems rather endemic to anime (the weak treatments of real life circumstances being a important one for me) leads to a rather disheartening experience. It also doesn't help that I haven't liked a lot of the more recent acclaimed shows, Shaft in particular, all that much. I guess that goes to explain why my interests have drifted a bit (only Doctor Who and My Little Pony for current TV shows).
Old 2011-02-22, 22:59   Link #47
tehmuffinmon
SeleÁ„o

Nope. But that's probably because it's just been recently that I've gotten back into Anime/Japanese culture, so I'm finding I have a lot of catching up to do. Plus, I used to watch Anime on my computer, now, I watch Anime on my HDTV with my awethom speakers and it's a much more immersive/entertaining experience overall.
tehmuffinmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-22, 23:58   Link #48
TurkeyPotPie
fushigi ojisan

I've been watching anime for over twenty years now (with the knowledge of what anime is, not counting the stuff I watched as a kid like Speed Racer when I didn't know what anime was), and I still enjoy it. I don't have the same intense interest in it that I did the first few years, but that is pretty much the same for all hobbies. At first anime seems so fresh, new, and different from mainstream entertainment, but then you realize it is not some higher art form and Sturgeon's Law still applies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran
A similar problem lies in how anime is eating itself. By this I mean that a lot of anime are based on either older anime or manga.
This happens to a lot of fields. Western comic books are one. At one time the creators came from diverse backgrounds and brought all sorts of influences into their writing and art. Then at some point (after Marvel's sixties renaissance?) the field turned inward and got all of its inspiration from previous comic books rather than the wider world. You can also see that happening in video games. Go back to the great game designers from the eighties and look at their backgrounds versus many of today's designers, who were brought up on video games.
TurkeyPotPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-23, 03:42   Link #49
roriconfan
Banned

Send a message via MSN to roriconfan
@ 4Tran, @ TurkeyPotPie

It all has to do with the internet actually. Before 1990, designers and developers could experiment much easier on games and storytelling because the gamers or viewers didn't have mass gathering places (like animesuki) to compare and critisize a work. It was a lot easier for someone to like something different or if he was not exposed too much to the formula. But now it is always something like "WOW is better than Lineage for X reasons" and thousands of people reading that will have a mindset of expecting any new work to be compared with the exact same title. So the developers themselves experiment less as they see there is a group mentality out there expecting something specific. And if it sells, there is even less reason to NOT copy the winning formula.

Not that this works all the time though. Final Fantasy games for example lost their edge when they turned to more MMO styles and neglected the empathy with its cast and settings. I mean really, who cares about the characters of FF12? And the world was just a generic fantasy realm like so many others. Yet FF6 to FF10 did a far greater job with far less stuff to work with.

As for the spa, beach, matsuri episodes, it is something similar. They are stereotypical premises in eroge or date sims and they worked fine even since the 80's. Now that we have far easier access to series, it is much easier to see how they repeat in any similar show and grow tiresome. It wasn't like that before the 1990's (or 2000s' for those of us who couldn't stand turtle slow internet speeds).

It all has to do with overexposure to something. If you see it repeating too many times, you get tired of it. But at the same time, most unconsciously demand for every new show or game to be like the one they liked, which is kinda contradicting the solution to this problem.

Bottom line, the majority says "I want something similar" instead of "I want to try something different" and the developers listen and stop being too risky or experiment with the formula.
roriconfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-23, 07:45   Link #50
idiffer

Send a message via ICQ to idiffer
Quote:
It all has to do with overexposure to something. If you see it repeating too many times, you get tired of it. But at the same time, most unconsciously demand for every new show or game to be like the one they liked, which is kinda contradicting the solution to this problem.
i think its more complicated. each person wants something to stay the same and something to be different, but ppl can't put that into words that can be fully understood by other ppl.
damn, i can almost hear the sadness of the young mangaka, who is told he isn't being published, because his work too experimental.
c) Your mind is too narrow to embrace my genius, de geso.
d) I was accidentally dropped into a barrel of whiskey, so now I am constantly drunk.
e) Go home and die! Dattebayo!
idiffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-24, 06:11   Link #51
Otaku Guy
Disabled By Request

Send a message via Skype™ to Otaku Guy
No it hasn't. I actually think I enjoy it now more then ever before.
I really open minded when it come to anime, I would never just not watch a show because its a "kids" show or because it has to much fan service or something stupid like that.
Now some people tell me that I have no value for judgment or something like that and all I have to say to you is your wrong. I hate Mecha animes thats a fact but I'm not going to not watch a show that has a good plot and storyline just because crazy huge robots are flying around everywhere, that would be ridiculous.
Otaku Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-04, 03:42   Link #52
mecharobot

To answer the topic question, yes it has. When I started out I could pick masterpiece after masterpiece for watching. It was the time of shows like Haibane Renmei, Kino no Tabi, Mushishi, Juuni Kokki, Monster etc. It was the time when Bleach and Naruto were still in their prime to get my fill of action. Good times, but I ran out of stuff fast.

Thankfully I was about to find new waters through seeking out different genres and expanding my interest to retro shows. Mecha, shoujo, sports... there is something good in everything. Too bad I've nearly run out of those as well.
mecharobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-04, 04:13   Link #53
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

I am, for one, almost easily amused by anything that it's almost insulting. In that sense it's very rare for me to not have at least one show per season that I end up loving in one form or another.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-04, 04:38   Link #54
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic Send a message via Skype™ to synaesthetic
I've been growing increasingly distressed with the state of anime. The only remotely interesting thing this year... I didn't even like it at first, I had to give it a second watch...

I wonder if I'm outgrowing anime, or if the medium has just hit rock bottom due to the poor economy?
Old 2011-03-04, 13:52   Link #55
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I enjoy anime as much as ever... but I've gotten a LOT pickier about what I'm willing to invest time watching. I don't need to see the 40th variation on a theme - so I tend to look for the outliers or the ones that subvert the archetype. Enormously good execution sometimes over-rides that theme.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-04, 15:08   Link #56
Amon81

I'd say I enjoy it as much as I ever did.

But as I've been an anime fan for 15 years I really know what I will like and what I wont, so everything I watch I tend to enjoy.

Back when I first got into anime it was vhs and very expencive with very little out here in England, alot tended to be dubbed too, which it something I don't like. with the limited money I had at the time I got all I could and loved all of it.

I then goit a better job and invested in a multi regon dvd player and went a bit mad importing litterly hundreds of dvds from America and Hong Hong. I was watching everything I could. I'm glad I did as it really helped me understand what I like and what I don't (not to mention how to make bookcases too, I have 4 full of dvds and blu-rays).

Then I got into fansubs and was getting most I could with the same mind set.

Now I only get very little of the new stuff as I know I won't like most of it. Over the last couple of years my Otaku-ness has been getting bigger in the way I'm doing more stuff than just watching anime and reading manga. Now I really like building model kits (10 in a year alone, costng about in dollers about $60-200 each) and have started going to conventions.

So end of the day I'd say develop your interest and get to learn what you like and you tend not to be dissapointed.
Amon81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-04, 15:17   Link #57
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth Send a message via Skype™ to Malkuth
I also find myself enjoying anime more as years pass. That does not mean of course anime themselves are getting better, these are two different things.
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-04, 22:20   Link #58
I_am_Kami
Disabled By Request

It's not that it's hard to watch anime as it is rather to find good anime. Nowadays there are those shows whose soul existence is fan service. This is what ruins it. Though there are those diamonds in the rough.

Examples
To aru majutsu no index(personal fav)
Code grass
Full metal panic
Full metal alchemist
Legend of the legendary heroes
Baka and test
My bride is a mermaid
One piece
IS (this series I heard has a good story)
Kore wa zombie desuka
Evanelion remakes
Soul eater.
Etc.

So yeah I find it hard to find good shows to watch rather than watch anime itself. There are those authors and directors who actually take pride in a good story that they make and don't just make fanservice shows to sell for money.
I_am_Kami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-05, 02:31   Link #59
2030films

yup its kind of funny

I really havent been watching all that much anime at all recently-

I like some of the stuff Production IG puts out

but after getting hooked on Ghost in the Shell, Seriei no Moribito, and then Black Lagoon...

its tough to go back to shounen animes and whatnot. Seinen's where its at

I think what the main problem is, is story writing. Just as in the West- movies suck except for the odd Inception or something else that comes along-

A good anime is based on a good story with good characters-Its funny since now I'm trying to make my own anime from a story I wrote and It's not easy

It's alot more than just animation- its how to translate a story into a visual presentation
Old 2011-03-05, 08:23   Link #60
FlavorOfLife
Uncaring

When there is a big gap in the quality of the story each series in a season, i do find it harder to just forgive the storytelling.

For example, this season because of Madoka and Level E, i'm finding it hard to find anything redeeming about Infinite Stratos. The gap in storytelling ability is just to vast

I tried to compare it to the recent Sora no Oto and find it incredibly lacking in the plot for a harem series. The main characters are also vastly different in impression. Tomoki displays manliness because he stands up to crazily stronger things and his ideals (regardless of how perverted he and some of his ideals are). Ichika on the other hand has displayed nothing memorable, standard harem lead denseness and very lousy jokes

Zombie tumbled big time when Ayumu meekly allowed dai-sensei to take Kyoko away when in the manga, they actually fought with Ayumu not backing down at all.

Gosick's plot was too haywire and the mystery portion is not done well

Fractale and Merry was slow as heck and though both picked up in their recent episodes.

Freezing was not so bad but the manga made the anime look stupid (the best thing about the anime was it made me pick up the manga)

All these would probably not be so noticable to me if there was no real comparison, which Madoka and Level E has starkly put on display
FlavorOfLife is offline   Reply With Quote