AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2011-03-09, 00:14   Link #81
Tiran86

Not really, but I'm definitely in a phase where I'm not watching anime much.
Tiran86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-07, 17:44   Link #82
Jof12788
Disabled By Request

For me, it has indeed become harder to enjoy anime these days. Not because of the overabundance of moe and fan service shows. (I actually like these kinds of anime.) But because most shows theses days are either very generic (K-On!, Ika-Musume, Nichijou, most of the Marvel anime, etc.), done for the sake of money, or are desperate to gain as much views as possible (by any means.) It’s always been a challenge for me to watch the shows that I watch. But as much as I hate to admit it, 2010 was a very bad year for anime. Being let down by sequels that don’t exceed my expectations, but are half-assed, and poorly executed, and made to follow in the stereotypical archetype of what moe shows should be. Not to mention fan service shows that tend to overdo it to the point where it becomes fan-disservice. I probably wouldn’t be watching any more new series after summer 2010 had it not been for a few series, which in a way saved my interest in anime (Amagami, Ore no Imouto, Panty and Stocking, and Madoka Magica come to mind.) I am currently watching a few series this season, but not the shows that everyone is watching. While I do enjoy them, it’s not to say that enjoying anime these days is overall fine and dandy.
Jof12788 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-07, 20:21   Link #83
Bonta Kun
One Punch Man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otaku Guy View Post
No it hasn't. I actually think I enjoy it now more then ever before.
I really open minded when it come to anime, I would never just not watch a show because its a "kids" show or because it has to much fan service or something stupid like that.
Now some people tell me that I have no value for judgment or something like that and all I have to say to you is your wrong. I hate Mecha animes thats a fact but I'm not going to not watch a show that has a good plot and storyline just because crazy huge robots are flying around everywhere, that would be ridiculous.
This is pretty much how I am as well.
I'm always been rather open minded and over the years more so.
In the end I always simply enjoy what I enjoy and I can enjoy almost anything.
Sure some stuff in anime has become tedious over the years but I can live with them easliy enough.

I am watching slightly less anime than I used to but reading more manga than I ever have before.

Actually anime would be my 3rd fav hobby. Gaming is my no.1 hobby and then after that would be making plastic model kits(I enjoy building stuff).
I think that has helped me keep enjoying anime, when I've had enough mindless grinding, blasting brains or making a mess with cement glue, it's nice to watch some anime for a change

But I do think the anime industry could be doing better, I don't think they put as much thinking into it as they used to.
Old 2011-05-08, 01:22   Link #84
kramerica

Over the years I think what has changed for me is what I am trying to get out of it. Nowadays, most anime I watch is just to relax and not think too much of it, and just enjoy it for what it is trying to do - entertain.

Of course there are a few exceptions where there's something really makes an impact, like Madoka or RAINBOW, but when I watch anime now it's just figuring out what it is going for, and how well it does it.

Nanael is not amused.
kramerica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-08, 10:51   Link #85
Kallen4life

Yes. It has.
We are Blackwatch
We are the last line of defense
We will burn our own to hold the red line, it is the last line to ever hold
Kallen4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-08, 11:44   Link #86
ahelo
Criminal Unrequitor
*Graphic Designer

It's more like now I have to work to find good anime. Before I just choose the best here and there, now I have to actually watch the bad shows because I might miss a good one.
Old 2011-05-08, 11:56   Link #87
recover

its just becoming more difficult to find a series or manga that really "immerses" me

ive exhausted pretty much everything of the genre that interests me the most
recover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-08, 12:57   Link #88
GundamFan0083

Hmmm...good question.

I'd have to say no.
The reason is I'm not an anime fan per se to begin with.
I'm a Science-Fiction fan, and anime just happens to create some of the best SF stories out there.

I'm certainly not an ageist when it comes to literature, movies, or fiction in general so I'm able to enjoy the old hand-painted anime shows like Gigantor, Astroboy, Gatchaman, Space Battleship Yamato, Gundam 0079, Space Pirate Captain Harlock, the original Macross, or anything pre-1990.

I enjoy the SF anime of the post-1990 (computer generated anime) types as well.

I'm not a stickler on themes or re-use of cliches since as Mortimer J. Adler once said "there are no original ideas."

I discriminate based on HOW those ideas and cliches are executed in the story.
If they're done well, as in the various Gundam series, then I'll watch them.
A fine example of how I go about choosing the anime I watch would be Gundam SEED verses Gundam Destiny.
SEED was done quite well IMHO, therefore I gave Destiny a chance.
However, after 10 episodes of Destiny I determined it just wasn't right for me and gave up on it.

So I guess the best way for me to answer the question "Has it gotten harder for you to enjoy anime?" would be to say no.
So long as SF anime continues to be produced in a quality fashion, and the time-honored themes and cliches are used properly, I'll continue to enjoy it into the foreseeable future.
Old 2011-05-08, 15:28   Link #89
Marcomax

For me it has become harder to enjoy some series because I've started to pin down exactly what I like and dislike in an anime series. I'm at a point where I mainly have a problem with shows that don't build up to a defining conclusion. This seem to happen with some of the Light novel or manga adaptations I've seen (most recently Infinite Stratos).

However, I've also found that I like certain series more now because I can pin down what I enjoyed about it and what makes it special in my eyes. A recent example would be Infinite Ryuvius. I just finished it and it was amazing. The story and characters are really interesting.

I guess what I'm saying is that after watching anime for a while, I enjoy average shows a little less and standout shows a little more.
Marcomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-08, 16:15   Link #90
frubam
singing heartbreak

Send a message via AIM to frubam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo-chin View Post
I am watching slightly less anime than I used to but reading more manga than I ever have before.
This. Well, I'm probably watching LESS than "slightly less" though. If it weren't for manga, I wouldn't know what I'd do. I remember scoffing at the idea that manga was more enjoyable than anime(no color? no music or slick animation movement? HA!), but once I accepted that it is simply another medium, I was sucked in, never to return. There are probably 50x as much manga as there is anime, which means there is FAR more variety to choose from with [various]translations coming out everyday. It's like impossible not to find something out there =03.
frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-08, 18:05   Link #91
Bonta Kun
One Punch Man!

Actually I would like to correct myself as it is more just "less" than "slightly less".
I used to watch at least 5 different shows a season not counting any back log or older stuff I missed but now it's 5 at most without the back log.

And I think I'll see the number of anime watched decrese even further with the onset of video games I'm looking forward to over next couple of years.

Guild Wars 2 will eat into all my spare time, fact

Harder to enjoy watching anime? no

Harder to find time to watch in the first place? yes
Old 2011-05-10, 08:32   Link #92
Aqua Knight

Slightly, yes.

But now after watching original MSG movies with old animation,sound etc. is very refreshing
Old 2011-05-10, 12:21   Link #93
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcomax View Post

However, I've also found that I like certain series more now because I can pin down what I enjoyed about it and what makes it special in my eyes. A recent example would be Infinite Ryuvius. I just finished it and it was amazing. The story and characters are really interesting.
Yes, that's a great one. I might have to rewatch that, haven't seen it in a few years. That's actually part of my issue when it comes to enjoying anime, I've exhausted a lot of those good series like Ryvius and now am left to wade through low quality shows to find hidden gems.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-12, 04:23   Link #94
Stiletto
Ineffectual Loner

Yeah, pretty much. Mostly on the basis I'm tired of turning my head in disgust at piss poor storyline for fanservice.
Stiletto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-14, 15:21   Link #95
wigglypuff
Banned

not really....
but sometimes, the fanservice is getting really annoying..but i can live through that as long as the plot is awesome...
wigglypuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-25, 16:56   Link #96
CuChuClock

For a long time I was just kind of not really watching anime all that much. Like, ever since Haruhi ended. But last season got me back in with Madoka. Do you think you can still call yourself an anime fan while not actually following any series for a while? I think so.
CuChuClock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-25, 17:06   Link #97
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuChuClock View Post
Do you think you can still call yourself an anime fan while not actually following any series for a while? I think so.
I've had dry spells that lasted a couple years. But so what?
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-25, 17:07   Link #98
Liddo-kun
Come on everyone

Send a message via MSN to Liddo-kun
Still enjoy anime so much.

In fact, I've bought a portable DVD player that can use flash drives.
I bring Ore no Imouto, Gosick, Yuru Yuri, Madoka Magica, Suite Precure, Dog Days and many others to my workplace, and watch during vacant hours.

Last edited by Liddo-kun; 2011-08-25 at 17:50.
Liddo-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-25, 17:34   Link #99
Flower
Purrrfectly cuddly! ^^

I think anime is like any other hobby or pastime ... we all have spells of dryness and disinterest in it. Even the most hardcore fans of something sometimes have periods where they lose interest in their favorite subjects. This is so for music, photography, interest in a particular sport, etc. - for some things like birdwatching, golf or mushroom gathering could just as easily qualify. So I do not think it is an "issue" if something like that comes up. To me it is normal.

To answer the main question of the thread, though - it has not become harder for me to enjoy anime per se. I have pretty much always been kinda picky and know where my tastes in genres and story material lie, though.
Old 2011-08-25, 17:45   Link #100
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

I'm more picky now then when I first started. I'm less tolerant of Anime clichés.
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote