AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Suggestions

Old 2011-02-21, 04:51   Link #1
HimOsiris
第六隊隊長-Dai roku tai taichō

Anime With Fighting Tournment

Hi, I am looking for anime with some sort of fighting tournament be it magic, supernatural, spirits or any form of martial arts, any type of fighting would do even mecha. Some unconventional sport would also do but not the ones with baseball or football etc. I mean no popular sports that don't have actual fighting.
Racing maybe, if its really competitive.
The key focus is on Tournaments in elimination or hierarchical manner possibly in an arena but not essential. Can be Duel or more....
Here are some good examples: The ones I have already seen.

Yu Yu Hakusho
Flame of Recca
Baki the Grappler
Hajime no Ippo
Kenichi, maybe
Shura no Toki
Dragon Ball series, obviously.
Kiba
Ikkitousen, well partially
Zettai Shougeki ~Platonic Heart~ or Master of Martial Hearts
Shaman King
Hunter X Hunter
Naruto ( for crying out loud sake )
Basilisk, well there was a Deathmatch tournament indeed.
Fate/Stay Night

So please lemme know if I missed something good.
Cheers!

Last edited by HimOsiris; 2011-02-21 at 07:13. Reason: Added the ones alredy seen
HimOsiris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-21, 05:20   Link #2
Nemuru

that would cover most shounen series....

er... lets see..

Hunter X Hunter *must watch for all shounen fan*
Zach bell *similar like Shaman king, light fluffy action*
Rozen maiden (doubting you want something like this lol)
Marchen Awaken Romance (mars heaven) from the same author of flame of recca.
Naruto (flame me lol)
Tokyo underground *although kinda meh*
X movie/TV series by Clamp
Angelic Layer *shoujo series by Clamp*
Basilisk
Maihime season 1 just the first season ^^, dont watch season 2.
Nemuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-21, 05:28   Link #3
kitten320

Katekyo Hitman Reborn - it had an arc based on tournament scheme with match ups and points.

Fate/Stay Night - a tournament, the winner will have their wish granted.

Bamboo Blade - Kendo tournaments

Mai HiME - similar to Fate/Stay Night, but actual tournament starts further in the series, not at the begining. It also is probably the best part of the series... though main characters are mostly femalese.

Rozen Maiden - similar again but main fighters are dolls... not as bad as it sounds though
Old 2011-02-21, 07:01   Link #4
Aesthetic Shampoo

MAR has a fighting tournament that takes up 90% of the whole thing i believe
Aesthetic Shampoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-21, 07:04   Link #5
HimOsiris

Thanks guys, I will add the ones I have seen to the above list and look for the rest.
Old 2011-02-21, 07:07   Link #6
HimOsiris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemuru View Post
that would cover most shounen series....

er... lets see..
Well thats a very vague remark, Shounen is a very vast category, its more like targeted audience and not a genre. If you are talking from that perspective then it totally defeats the purpose of this forum. We might as well reply shounen to every thread.
Just being argumentative.....

Currently watching Hunter X Hunter. Thanks for other suggestions
Old 2011-02-21, 08:11   Link #7
kitten320

Also there is Baka to Test to Shoukanjuu, quiet random comedy based series... they have tournaments to get better classrooms.

Didn't click with me because of humor randomness but might work for you.
Old 2011-02-21, 08:34   Link #8
Haak
Haters Gonna Hate

I would recommend Katanagatari but it only occurs in two of the episodes if you're strict about it. Technically, though I'd say the whole story gives a tournament feel (every episode has a duel).

There's also Summer Wars but it's not the main plot.

Old 2011-02-21, 09:48   Link #9
pigoz
YUKI.N>

Send a message via MSN to pigoz Send a message via Skype™ to pigoz
Saint Seya, Revolutionary Girl Utena, Star Driver.
pigoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-21, 10:23   Link #10
Nemuru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HimOsiris View Post
Well thats a very vague remark, Shounen is a very vast category, its more like targeted audience and not a genre. If you are talking from that perspective then it totally defeats the purpose of this forum. We might as well reply shounen to every thread.
Just being argumentative.....

Currently watching Hunter X Hunter. Thanks for other suggestions
I'm sure the term "Most" would apply to this notion since when you think about fighting tournaments, shounen series will take up most of the list. That itself isn't an answer but rather a statement I don't think a narrative plus recommendation would be misleading the purpose of a thread since there is an answer provided I suppose it would be inaccurate if I however rephrase it to “the list would consist mostly of shounen series”, which is my intention. That would be more accurate narrative.

getting off topic I suppose
What else?

Get Backers * probably one of those that lack the budget to be better than it could lol.
Rurouni Kenshin *historic fights and duel with samurai

I see you're updating the list as people post recommendation. I should learn to be more tactful sometimes and avoid starting internet fights
Nemuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-21, 10:42   Link #11
Ziziphus
Whatever

I recommend The Law of Ueki. It's about people with strange powers competing in some strange tournament of sort to gain the power of God. I've only watched a few episodes of it but it's been pretty funny and seems to have potential.

Ranma 1/2 has all kinds of unconventional mini tournaments which basically martial arts showdowns between Ranma and others. It's old, I know but it's really hilarious and creative.
Old 2011-02-21, 12:28   Link #12
HimOsiris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemuru View Post
Get Backers * probably one of those that lack the budget to be better than it could lol.
Rurouni Kenshin *historic fights and duel with samurai

I see you're updating the list as people post recommendation. I should learn to be more tactful sometimes and avoid starting internet fights
Fight was never my intention and your intentions were well received, I don't doubt them. I just wanted a healthy argument, come on thats what forums are for right? Well you can say I enjoy it.
Its just that I have always seen everyone making that comment "Well that is what happens in most of shounen....", which is so useless. Everyone knows that, and it doesn't help at all so why say it all the time.
lol... so it was the cliche comment itself literally and not you or ur intentions

Well, I was updating becoz everyone "mostly" reads the opening post only and I said I will update the onces I forgot to add, so guilty as charged...

Now with that taken care of, Getbackers does it have tournaments? I thought they were some retrieval duo with superpowers, haven't seen it though.

Thanks for indulging!..

Last edited by HimOsiris; 2011-02-21 at 12:42.
HimOsiris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-21, 12:36   Link #13
HimOsiris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
I would recommend Katanagatari but it only occurs in two of the episodes if you're strict about it. Technically, though I'd say the whole story gives a tournament feel (every episode has a duel).
Lols seriously mate, I have finally seen katanagatari and its nothing but a sham if u talk about fighting. But to be noted, it was a great entertainer.
The fighting was always kept minimal, all they did was talk about fighting. Talk, Talk and Talk and then fight scene of 2 mins maximum in the whole 50 mins episode.
No disrespect, but I can't consider it a great fighting anime as the ratings proclaim.

Thanks for the other one, always appreciate your input.
Old 2011-02-21, 12:46   Link #14
HimOsiris

As a matter of fact I got so many anime for now, Thanks Everyone!..
Old 2011-02-21, 12:59   Link #15
kitten320

You really should add your posts instead of posting several... it might get you in trouble.
Old 2011-02-21, 14:00   Link #16
HimOsiris

Is there a rule like, OMG screwed big time then. Will be careful from next time. Thanks for the warning....
Old 2011-02-21, 14:51   Link #17
Haak
Haters Gonna Hate

Quote:
Lols seriously mate, I have finally seen katanagatari and its nothing but a sham if u talk about fighting. But to be noted, it was a great entertainer.
The fighting was always kept minimal, all they did was talk about fighting. Talk, Talk and Talk and then fight scene of 2 mins maximum in the whole 50 mins episode.
No disrespect, but I can't consider it a great fighting anime as the ratings proclaim.
Oh I'm sorry about that. It's just that I really don't really care about good action in terms of techniques and moves or even animation anymore (which I guess was what you're looking for). When I look for good action I want the story behind it and stuff like that (well to be more precise it's more of a balance and I'm clearly skewed to one side too much). But I'm aware people see what you see in Katanagatari so I probably should've mentioned that.

Just so you know, there's no much of it in Summer Wars either.
Old 2011-02-21, 19:50   Link #18
kitten320

Quote:
Is there a rule like, OMG screwed big time then. Will be careful from next time. Thanks for the warning....
Duno, but I got warnings like that in the past so...
Old 2011-02-21, 22:17   Link #19
GreatTeacherKen

Angelic Layer- The story revolves around a fighting tournament involving dolls controlled by human characters, which protagonist Suzuhara Misaki joins in the first episode. At the same time, the series is also about protagonist Misaki Suzuhara's search for her estranged mother who is connected with the tournament.

It's much more interesting than it sounds as the fights are quite good for the most part and the story is fairly solid. I think the series' ending (and the last two episodes in general) is one of is deeply poignant and one of the best I've seen in anime.

G Gundam- a fighting tournament involving humongous mecha. The fight scenes are a mixture of martial arts and mecha combat. All of the pilots are good at both hand to hand combat (one of them can beat mutiple mechs on foot armed with only a bandana!) and mecha piloting and the fights are well animated as well as being over the top epic in every way imaginable; the first episode features deflecting bullets by kicking them and the hero Domon Kasshu catching bullets with his bare fingers! And by this series' standards this is relatively mundane.

Besides the over the top action, the story is also good with quite a few touching moments and a rather sweet romantic relationship between Domon and female lead Rain.

I should also point out that this series is quite different from the rest of the Gundam franchise.
GreatTeacherKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-22, 06:56   Link #20
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

I haven't seen it myself, but it sounds like the anime Basquash! fits with your request. "Kids pilot giant robots playing futuristic basketball" is what the summary says. I know you say you don't want conventional sports, but I imagine the giant robots add an "action" factor to the show.
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote