AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2011-12-15, 17:52   Link #1101
Candyshark
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
After this episode i'm pretty much satisfied i got what i wished for.

I know that with discussed till exhaustion still seeing girls longing for affection brings the same question i can't find the answer for. What could have they done at least to make Shingo consider them a potential girlfriend? Was it really that slop sided?

Interesting what were the reasons for coupling in VN between differen girls.
Candyshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-15, 19:04   Link #1102
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Kagurazaka, Tokyo
Heh, Miu-mama is a cougar. Methinks she wants to do some "tutoring" herself.

I loved the way they amped up the sexual tension here, so beautifully realistic. It was always present between Shingo and Miu (the kids, not the kittens) as a sort of background hum, but the acknowledgement of their feelings last week changed the chemistry and now the both of them can't help but think about it. They were awkward, but not comedically so, and the whole thing was very direct and sweet.

As for Sana, she's still playing a dangerous game here. She's very lucky that Shingo is such a classy guy, because with a lesser guy she could have landed herself in a lot of trouble. The shopping, the "what if" game - it's all an exercise in self-denial. But it makes an interesting contrast with Sena, who all but totally disassociates herself from her own feelings for Shingo - maybe because her own mother is so distant and likely didn't offer much emotional support. Airi's "color" is independence - it's everything to her. Independence from her parents, from boys, even from her feelings. Where Sana seeks the comfort of Airi when she grieves over Shingo, Airi comforts Sana as a way of displacing her own grief, and refuses to acknowledge her own.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-15, 19:29   Link #1103
Silverwyrm
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Folsom, CA, USA
Age: 28
Shingo is definitely thinking of mating

......

I meant the cat of course!
Silverwyrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-15, 21:10   Link #1104
Arya
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Ok, Shingo could be the MC harem of the year, but kudos for Miu with that I haven't changed yet. As I've always thought she is less airhead than it seems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
[...] Airi's "color" is independence - it's everything to her. Independence from her parents, from boys, even from her feelings. Where Sana seeks the comfort of Airi when she grieves over Shingo, Airi comforts Sana as a way of displacing her own grief, and refuses to acknowledge her own.
I made the same associations, but the word that came up to my mind was something near coldness or, better, detachment instead of independence. Like the snow that softens everything. And so I'd say white is her color.
Arya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-16, 00:00   Link #1105
xKeir
Upon a wishing Star
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEroKing View Post
10/10, just cuz we got 1 more go to
LOL. And i still remember myself saying to u i didn't think it was gonna happen and from ep11 it looks like it is.

/Face palm myself
xKeir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-16, 00:43   Link #1106
Triple_R
Center Attraction
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Age: 33
Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Episode 11 was pretty good, but I had some issues with it.

The blushing was a bit overdone, I felt, although perhaps that was a simple animation issue.

I also wasn't entirely comfortable with how the "romantic losers" were handled. I agree with Chaos2Frozen that their response to not winning over Shingo was overly drastic and harsh. It also felt to me like, to put it in pro wrestling terms, they were simply being used to put Shingo even more "over", and simply put, it wasn't necessary. The Shingo/Miu romance speaks for itself, and says a lot about Shingo in and of itself. I'd rather see Airi and Sana express that they're truly getting over it, not that they're going to give up on romance forever because of one failed crush.


Now, the Shingo/Miu romance itself was nice. I liked it a bit more than similar romantic conclusions in Amagami SS, and the pacing for it was excellent.


One scene that I think is perhaps going a bit unnoticed is the discussion between the adult characters, Airi's mom and Miu's mom. I found that to be a strong and serious scene, with some good dialogue that complimented well the simpler romance that permeated much of the rest of the episode.


All-told, Mashiro-iro Symphony deserves a lot of credit for picking one girl, and sticking with her, and ending on that note. It also deserves considerable credit for not doing anything outlandish in this episode, and sticking to a largely believable narrative. Chances are this will continue to be the case next episode.

On the whole, this has been a mostly pleasant viewing experience, and my rating for Episode 11 is 8/10.
__________________
Triple_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-16, 00:54   Link #1107
relentlessflame
 
*Administrator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Age: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candyshark View Post
I know that with discussed till exhaustion still seeing girls longing for affection brings the same question i can't find the answer for. What could have they done at least to make Shingo consider them a potential girlfriend? Was it really that slop sided?

Interesting what were the reasons for coupling in VN between differen girls.
That's actually a fairly astute comment, and highlights one of the big differences between the anime and the game.

Spoiler for Comparison between the anime and the game, no future event spoilers:



Edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I also wasn't entirely comfortable with how the "romantic losers" were handled. I agree with Chaos2Frozen that their response to not winning over Shingo was overly drastic and harsh. It also felt to me like, to put it in pro wrestling terms, they were simply being used to put Shingo even more "over", and simply put, it wasn't necessary. The Shingo/Miu romance speaks for itself, and says a lot about Shingo in and of itself. I'd rather see Airi and Sana express that they're truly getting over it, not that they're going to give up on romance forever because of one failed crush.
I think you're expecting a lot from high school students. I remember my first serious crush that didn't work out, and it sure felt completely devastating at the time. I don't think this is necessarily a life-long resolve, but more a reflection of their current thinking and friendship. They had their first glimpse at romance and it didn't work out, so they're having a hard time imagining what other forms romance could take. I don't think this is really about glorying Shingo as much as it was about over-exaggerating their own "first love" feelings, as teenagers tend to do. I don't think expecting them to "get over it" so quickly is that realistic, but they're on the path. If anything, I thought this more melancholic introspective take is refreshing and more realistic given the impact of what happened thus far in the show, and the main message here was their support for each other.
__________________
[...]

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2011-12-16 at 15:07. Reason: fix typo
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-16, 11:58   Link #1108
hyl
sneaking like a cat
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
That's actually a fairly astute comment, and highlights one of the big differences between the anime and the game.

Spoiler for Comparison between the anime and the game, no future event spoilers:

Spoiler for analysis and retrospect:

Last edited by hyl; 2011-12-16 at 12:18. Reason: typos
hyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-16, 12:18   Link #1109
relentlessflame
 
*Administrator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Age: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyl View Post
Spoiler for analysis and retrospect:
Spoiler for Comparison to the game:
__________________
[...]
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-16, 13:23   Link #1110
Marina2
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
THIS IS THE SECREAT CONVERSATION BETWEEN ANIME DIRECTOR AND BOSS OF GAME COMPANY.
ONLY READ AFTER YOU WATCHED EP 11


In the studio secret room

Anime Director is reading comments from fans who watched ep 10 -11

“Just as Planned!” He said with the evil smile on his face

He picked up his phone and called to Game company.

“Hello”

“You have done well!” said, boss of the game company

“Ha ha ha, Miu’s route is really the best one for adaption,right?” asked, Anime Director

“Yes, not only our most popular character like Inui Sana has a big role in this route, this route’s story is also the most suitable one to make into anime because it’s easy to put all characters on the scene, unlike Airi Sakuno and Ange route.” said, boss of the game company

“So, with this, the popularity of Airi and Sana will increase, right?”

“Yes, Miu already has a lot of fan. By making her “win” girl, it will be a profit for Miu’s fan. As for Airi and Sana’s fans, since their girls lost, they will feel sorry for them and love them even more!”

“In another word, if we release good Airi and Sana- related product, the sale must be really good, right? Ha ha ha”

“Yes, my friend. Just look at Sana nendoroid for example. We just show it to public and many people already interest in it!. BUT Most importantly, our ultimate goal is to sell PSP game.”

“In anime, we have made sure that Sana must looks “pitiful” as much as possible. I hate to admit, but Me and my team cried when we were making the last part of ep.10 People must feel sorry with Sana and try playing a game to see her route”

“But! There is NO Sana route in PC, so they have to buy PSP version!!!!”

“Ha ha ha!!!!!”

“Those Airi and Sana fans have fallen into our miserable trap, HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!”
…………………………………..

In the end it just a business…. LOL ORZ

(I don't have to tell that this is a JOKE, Right?)
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic44739_1.gif
Marina2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-16, 14:41   Link #1111
Game8910
Shanacon/Ariafag
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: a room full of despair
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina2 View Post
delusions....
But dear Marina...its not a joke, really look at amazon's top PSP games right now
__________________
HEY GUYS BE NICE AND VISIT MY BLOG WILL YA?
Latest Update:
Spring 2011 Impressions (part1)
Spring 2011 Impressions (part2)
Game8910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-16, 14:56   Link #1112
Marina2
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
@Game8910 By joke, I meaned the coversation didn't happen. I know that PSP sell better that's why I put it in conversation.

BUT really, this anime have done a good job for promoting PSP game LOL
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic44739_1.gif
Marina2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-16, 15:03   Link #1113
Flower
Purrrfectly cuddly! ^^
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Yamoto, Akiba, Log Horizon Guild Hall
Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
According to the game, Shingo's supposed to be 171 cm (5' 7"), and Miu's supposed to be 146 cm (4' 9 1/2"). So all things considered, it's probably not that far off. They're both probably a bit too tall for their heights in that scene (particularly their legs).
Miu is 4 foot 9 inches?!

Wow ... somehow I didn't imagine her to be so ... small.

Anyhoo ... as regards ep 11 I also think it was very well done. 7.5/10 vote from me.

On a side note I have to agree with one thing relentlessflame pointed out ... when my first crush in high school did not work out I also was rather ... umm ... shattered, I guess. I did not handle it anywhere near as maturely as Sana or even Airi. Curiously I think Sana began handling it a little better, which was kinda surprising for me.

Somewhere in me, though, I felt as if Airi's last semi-tsundere moments of denying being in love were a tiny hint (from the directors maybe?) as to why she was not the chosen girl ... something in her was not quite as "mature" as may have originally seemed - at least to me if no one else.

Gotta give kudos to Sakuno for being such a wonderful and sensitive sister though, and smilingly and discretely quitting the scene of Miu and Shingo, though. She still remains my fave of the 5 girls.
__________________
Flower is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-16, 15:15   Link #1114
Zavie
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Quote:
On a side note I have to agree with one thing relentlessflame pointed out ... when my first crush in high school did not work out I also was rather ... umm ... shattered, I guess. I did not handle it anywhere near as maturely as Sana or even Airi. Curiously I think Sana began handling it a little better, which was kinda surprising for me.
After your crush being shattered, don't you find yourself, for little while, being it one day or one month, not wanting to fall in love? That's how I see the situation with the girls, it's just side effect of those broken hearts.
__________________
Zavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-16, 15:19   Link #1115
Flower
Purrrfectly cuddly! ^^
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Yamoto, Akiba, Log Horizon Guild Hall
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zavie View Post
After your crush being shattered, don't you find yourself, for little while, being it one day or one month, not wanting to fall in love? That's how I see the situation with the girls, it's just side effect of those broken hearts.
Hmm ... tbh I don't remember if I did or not - that was along time ago! But regardless of what I remember with myself I certainly can understand why someone could feel that way.
__________________
Flower is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-16, 15:45   Link #1116
Mahou
ダメ人 - 人間失格
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Germany
Age: 27
Quote:
But! There is NO Sana route in PC, so they have to buy PSP version!!!!”

“Ha ha ha!!!!!”

“Those Airi and Sana fans have fallen into our miserable trap, HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!”
Ngh, you caught me with this part The must-buy is more than confirmed (though that was a bit before this episode!)

An episode of lovey-dovey moments + a kiss = epic win for me. Yes, I have quite the weak spot for these sugary "story elements".
Mahou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-16, 15:56   Link #1117
hyl
sneaking like a cat
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
The next Nuko radio guest is Sakurai Harumi, oddly enough it's not Rikimaru Noriko. But to be honest i don't have ever heard her on any radio shows
hyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-16, 16:00   Link #1118
Zavie
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Quote:
Ngh, you caught me with this part The must-buy is more than confirmed (though that was a bit before this episode!)

An episode of lovey-dovey moments + a kiss = epic win for me. Yes, I have quite the weak spot for these sugary "story elements".
For me, a true romance anime can't be without at least a kiss to make it convincing. That why this, Toradora, Ef are really high regarded in my watched list, even more than Clannad. I hate it when a romance anime ends without any romantic activity. Don't tell me holding hands or hugging each other will do, we're not elementary school kids.
Quote:
The next Nuko radio guest is Sakurai Harumi, oddly enough it's not Rikimaru Noriko. But to be honest i don't have ever heard her on any radio shows
Seriously, Panya? Lol, I must listen to that.
__________________
Zavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-16, 16:53   Link #1119
cyberdemon
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
i really gotta wonder if they will make a future PC remake with Miu's mother as a heroine as well.
cyberdemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-16, 19:06   Link #1120
Triple_R
Center Attraction
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Age: 33
Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post

Edit: I think you're expecting a lot from high school students.
Well, it kind of goes without saying, but I don't think that this is a lot to expect from high school students.

Many high school students nowadays enter in and out of relationships with some degree of frequency. Most don't swear off love or romance forevermore over one failed crush. And keep in mind that this is all it is: A failed crush, not even a failed romance.

Airi and Sana's reactions would be a bit more understandable to me if they had actually been in a boyfriend/girlfriend relationship with Shingo for a few weeks (or longer) but it ended up not working out, and he dumped them. However, they simply had a crush on a guy that never reciprocated their romantic hints (for the most part), and decided on a different girl.

This really is an overreaction to a failed crush, in my view, and I did get the impression it was meant to further glorify Shingo.

Also, honestly, I find Sana's refusal to let go kind of creepy. Guardian Enzo is right, she's playing a dangerous game here.

More to the point, though, you've argued that this anime is as much about love-lost as it is about love-success. If so, doesn't it send a very bad thematic message to implicitly argue that when your first love fails you should give up on romance/love forever more? If Episode 12 doesn't clearly change Airi and Sana's reactions to their failed crush then that is the implicit argument being conveyed here, and it's certainly not one that I agree with.

With this in mind, I hope that Episode 12 will clearly show the girls moving on and being more practical and less extreme in their reactions to a failed crush. If so, I won't care so much about their Episode 11 characterization.


Quote:
I don't think expecting them to "get over it" so quickly is that realistic, but they're on the path.
It's not that quickly when you consider the passage of time within the episode itself. I wasn't carefully keeping track, but the characters studying for Finals and taking Finals and getting Final marks back all came and went in the space of this one episode, so I'm guessing that two or three weeks came and went here.


Quote:
If anything, I thought this more melancholic introspective take is refreshing and more realistic given the impact of what happened thus far in the show, and the main message here was their support for each other.
To me, it would be more realistic and refreshing if after that two-to-three weeks of in-canon time passing, Airi and Sana started to truly move on, and get over it, like I think most teenage girls in their shoes would be doing.
__________________

Last edited by Triple_R; 2011-12-16 at 19:20.
Triple_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
eroge, romance, seinen

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:28.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.