AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-03-26, 08:55   Link #1
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

Stellvia and Tsukihime OSTs in US

As you may have read on AnimeOnDVD.com already, Geneon Entertainment
is releasing the OSTs (soundtracks) of Stellvia and Tsukihime in the US.

Another sign these two series may be announced as licensed soon, if you ask me.
After all, if you think of a world without fansubs or Newtype USA, why would
Geneon release OSTs of series no American could have see and thus would not sell?

So far though, AnimeSuki will still consider these unlicensed for the moment.
(until the company who has these titles announces the license themselves)

Note: it doesn't necessarily need to be Geneon who has the anime, as they've
released OSTs of titles owned by other companies in the past. But at least in the
case of Tsukihime, it's likely Geneon has it (as the Japanese branch of Geneon
was listed in the credits for it)
Old 2004-03-26, 09:28   Link #2
teh_suck
AKA Torgen from We Suck
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHDpro
After all, if you think of a world without fansubs or Newtype USA, why would
Geneon release OSTs of series no American could have see and thus would not sell?
If a show has good music, the soundtrack is worth buying whether you like (or have even seen) the rest of the show at all. The SURVIVE soundtrack is certainly this way. More than anything, this just means Geneon is looking to cash in on the anime cool factor to sell albums. And most companies don't announce in April a license for a show that they're releasing in August. They might solicit at that range, but only if they've already announced the license.
Old 2004-03-26, 10:08   Link #3
microlith

Send a message via AIM to microlith
Geneon isn't just cashing in on the "anime cool factor" to sell albums. They won't release an OST without a show to tie it to. It may be good on its own, but few people will grab it without knowing more about the show behind it. Now whether or not Geneon has Stellvia is up in the air. I'll peg them for Tsukihime though, since Geneon headed it in Japan.
Old 2004-03-26, 18:32   Link #4
FlyByNite

Stellvia's music is far better than the show itself The two different endings and the opening are catchy as heck.

Tsukihime's was pretty good too, although I'm more interested in it getting the series licensed and picking it up on DVD.
Old 2004-03-26, 18:45   Link #5
flammie
White Dragon

Its strange that they are releasing the soundtracks so early.

Even if the shows are licensed, they probably won't be released on dvd this summer.
Old 2004-03-26, 19:05   Link #6
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite

Send a message via ICQ to zalas
Quote:
Originally Posted by flammie
Its strange that they are releasing the soundtracks so early.

Even if the shows are licensed, they probably won't be released on dvd this summer.
Maybe they're still hammering out the last of the negotiations, or waiting until all the R2s are released.
Old 2004-03-26, 20:44   Link #7
StarCreator
HnK founding lunatic

As much as I'd hope for those series to be brought over here, getting the soundtrack releases stateside means absolutely nothing in that respect. There have been some very good arguments over on the AoD forums that I can't hope to replicate, but in summary, anime series and soundtrack negotiations are very different worlds, and a link between them can't ever be assumed. Geneon has a very good relationship with one or two Japanese music licensors, which is why they are bringing out such a variety of soundtracks now (remember, they're also putting out soundtracks for FLCL, Eva, Fruits Basket, etc, when those series have long been released by other companies).
Old 2004-03-26, 21:19   Link #8
flammie
White Dragon

The question is why release the soundtracks so early then? Without a US DVD release, it seems they would be depending on the popularity of the fansubs or R2 releases.

My expectations would be the cross section of people who watch fansubs that also buy U.S. soundtracks to be very small, while those who buy R2 dvds would probably just buy the japanese soundtracks instead.
Old 2004-03-26, 22:17   Link #9
oDin01

I received a bunch of Geneon OST's this week and on the back of it states that Geneon only manufactures and distributes them while the Japanese company such as Victor Ent or King Records holds the licence for the actual CD and music. I don't know how this effects the recent rumors of licence for Stellvia and Tsukihime anime but I think it's a big reason why Geneon is becoming the biggest studio to release anime OST's.
Old 2004-03-27, 07:18   Link #10
ElvenPath
a step away from heaven

Actually Geneon is just bringing anime music to the US through their partnership with Starchild (a division of King Records). There's no need to be paranoiac about some series being licensed.

http://www.geneonanimemusic.com