AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Madoka Magica

Notices

View Poll Results: Madoka Magica - Episode 10 Rating
Perfect 10 293 82.07%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 39 10.92%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 13 3.64%
7 out of 10 : Good 7 1.96%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 0.56%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 0.56%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.28%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 357. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2011-03-10, 19:19   Link #141
bahamut zero
miragecoordinator

Can I give a 11? T__T
Old 2011-03-10, 19:26   Link #142
Vanish

Send a message via Skype™ to Vanish
I got my "wham!", thanks. 10/10... Homuhomu clearly lacks harem skills.
Vanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-10, 19:32   Link #143
Shadow5YA

Quote:
Originally Posted by fukarming View Post
Homura is the only one who holds the power, not the rest of humanity. I don't see Homura care about humanity. I believe, Homura will be satisfied if Madoka and she survived W-night. Go Yuri yuri for 60 years and die together as a witch.

Of course, preventing Madoka become MG, and beating W-night at the same time is the prefect ending. I am trying to figure out what is Homura's minimum requirement of not resetting ie. the minimum requirement for Homura be satisfied.
Madoka needs to make it past Walpurgis Night alive, without becoming a Witch in the near future. Killing a Witch Madoka is not an acceptable ending for her apparently, because she was mercy killed by Homura once, and Homura still went back in time again.

Quote:
That's why I think this timeline is screwed. I am planning for Homura for the next timeline.
There are only two episodes left. Do you really think there's enough time to for another timeline's story? This timeline has had nine to ten episodes of buildup. Two episodes won't be enough to elaborate on everything Homura has to do differently from start to finish and the outcome.

Quote:
That's why I said if Uroboshi want to go for the best ending route (Madoka stopping W-night without contracting with Kyube), it needs to be really great writing without giving the audience a WTF feeling.
Forgive me for being cynical, but I have a feeling the ending will receive mixed reviews regardless. If it is a happy ending, some will raise the "WTF" flag just because any amount of "happy" is not something they would expect from Urobuchi + SHAFT. If it is a bad ending, then that would make ten episodes worth of buildup pointless. We already know four different ways the girls could get screwed over. What is the point of the last two episodes being a repeat of what we saw in ep10?
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-10, 19:37   Link #144
aeriolewinters
Gin-Sama no Tameni!

Send a message via Yahoo to aeriolewinters
Quote:
Homuhomu clearly lacks harem skills.
She should get life counseling from Kirino.
Old 2011-03-10, 19:38   Link #145
matteas
Member Member

I did have some expectations that have proven to be right, but I still was absolutely overwhelmed by this episode and I'm kind of speechless now after watching it.

Homura has become another Yuki, being imprisoned, though deliberately, in a loop of events. I felt so sorry for her.

This episode is a candidate for the best anime episode of 2011. I think it's one of the most breath-taking episodes I've ever seen.
matteas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-10, 19:41   Link #146
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
Madoka needs to make it past Walpurgis Night alive, without becoming a Witch in the near future. Killing a Witch Madoka is not an acceptable ending for her apparently, because she was mercy killed by Homura once, and Homura still went back in time again.
I don't think Homura had a choice in the matter. She goes back regardless as soon as Madoka dies. The only way to save her would be to destroy the system entirely.

Illusion, illusion, this is illusion. It cannot harm me.
Endscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-10, 19:46   Link #147
Kaisos Erranon
Homo Ludens

Jesus Christ. I can't describe how awesome that was.
Old 2011-03-10, 19:48   Link #148
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Now that subs are out, I'm going to repost this entry I made near the beginning of the thread without the spoiler tags so it is more visible. This is one of the best episodes of any anime I've seen in a long time, btw. Absolutely incredible.

Anyway, the original post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
My thoughts so far.

The problem was never really QB, it was the MG/Witch system. No matter what Homura does, she cannot stop her friends from becoming Witches and further screwing everything over into a bad end. At this point her only escape and possibility of fixing everything is to find a way to break or fix the system by finding a loophole.

It can't be wished away because that would be counter to Kyubey's interest.
You can't wish for MG's to not become Witches because again, it's counter to his interest.
You can't just save certain people or let certain people die, because all roads lead to Madoka sacrificing herself to save everyone.
Madoka has to become a MG to defeat the Walpurgis. She is the only one strong enough to beat it without help. The other girls are simply not strong enough to do it.
Madoka defeating the Walpurgis will turn her into a Witch, effing over everyone she just saved.
No one but Homura and Madoka are capable enough to actually live through fighting and defeating the Witch.
Homura cannot defeat the Witch by herself.
QB contracts Madoka in every time line by appealing to her kindness and forcing her to sacrifice herself.
QB could care less about anything other than the energy he'll get from Madoka. The part of his speech about saving the universe for the long term of humanity (paraphrasing) is a lie meant to appeal to Madoka's selflessness.

Homura has tried everything except killing Madoka before she contracts (which would be pointless since the goal is to ensure that Madoka LIVES). That would be the only bad end we haven't seen (outside of her giving up and becoming a Witch herself). However this means she won't have her wish granted and must go back in time again to start over. So really at this point, she's screwed unless.....

She discovers a loophole that allows her to:

Allow Madoka to become a MG so she can defeat the Walpurgis.
Save everyone Madoka knows to avoid the bad ends.
Prevent MG's from becoming Witches OR figuring out how to turn them back into humans/MG's.
Prevent QB from farming the energy from MG's or figuring out a means to provide QB with the energy he wants without the system and/or fixing the current system so that turning into a Witch is a preventable or reversible fate.

Simply put, regardless of the chicken and egg question of what came first, Homura must use the system to stop the Walpurgis while also figuring out how to prevent the system from benefiting QB's plan of using the transformation into a Witch as a way of getting "free" energy. Since all paths require Madoka become a MG to defeat the Witch, and the death/corruption of her friends combined with fighting the Witch with little to no assistance (because of how few of them are left and how weak they are compared to her) ends up with her becoming a Witch as well, Homura needs to use the system while figuring out the correct loophole that saves her friends and Madoka, defeat the Witch, and prevent QB from using them as batteries (and possibly figuring out how to balance the system by allowing MG's who become Witches a way back to humanity).
Old 2011-03-10, 19:54   Link #149
Kismet-chan
The Chaotic Dreamer

Kickass episode.

The events in Madoka's dream in the first episode were actually of the last timeline Homura abandoned. So for that to not happen again... Homura can't fight Walpurgis? Because if she does, she'll fail and/or Madoka will be compelled to contract with QB. If it's impossible for anyone but Madoka to defeat it, then I don't see what Homura can do at this point. Her goal is to keep Madoka alive and preferably MG-free. Fighting Walpurgis alone (and not succeeding) or sacrificing her own life a la Kyouko are both methods that will NOT lead to her achieving her goal.

The only way I can see things working out now is if:

- Homura somehow is magically able to defeat Walpurgis on her own this time (but even then, that doesn't necessarily put an end to the threat of witches like someone was earlier suggesting).

- The other MGs come back from the dead through the power of love and friendship! YEAH! (Um, no.)

- New MGs appear to help Homura (all this time I've been wondering if Homu, Saya, Kyo, and Mami were the ONLY MGs in the ENTIRE world or not).

- Homura does another reset.

To me, Homura resetting is the most likely expectation at this point. But I'm sure Urobuchi will surprise and not disappoint.

Oh, and also: glasses and braids Homura. Too adorable. Must... control... self.... GAH!
Old 2011-03-10, 19:56   Link #150
Midonin
Last Engage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kismet-chan View Post
- The other MGs come back from the dead through the power of love and friendship! YEAH! (Um, no.)

- New MGs appear to help Homura (all this time I've been wondering if Homu, Saya, Kyo, and Mami were the ONLY MGs in the ENTIRE world or not).
A man can dream.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-10, 20:03   Link #151
Vanish

Send a message via Skype™ to Vanish
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeriolewinters View Post
She should get life counseling from Kirino.
Nah, only if it's about imoutos. I was thinking more along the lines of Katsuragi Keima (he's similarly logical), or simply the (mis)fortune that is Kamijo Touma.
Vanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-10, 20:04   Link #152
Shadow5YA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endscape View Post
I don't think Homura had a choice in the matter. She goes back regardless as soon as Madoka dies. The only way to save her would be to destroy the system entirely.
The question was what Homura's victory conditions were exactly. I'm just stating that she wants Madoka both alive and free from the system.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-10, 20:05   Link #153
aeriolewinters
Gin-Sama no Tameni!

Quote:
Kamijo Touma.
You clearly have not visited the Image thread, have you?
Old 2011-03-10, 20:07   Link #154
scr
my sides are in orbit

Normally I dont give out perfect 10s, but megane!Homura and her determination (not to mention her awesome Yakuza guns and the Desolation Shot) conspire to make me do it.

Spoiler for eps10:
If there's a Final Fantasy game that I must put my personal seal of disapproval on, it's Crisis Core. I mean, just look at how this Genesis Rhapsodos dude is raping the canon. It's bad. As in, fanfiction bad.

Last edited by scr; 2011-03-10 at 20:11. Reason: forgot my sop iler...
scr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-10, 20:09   Link #155
BaKaBaKaOtaKu
Stupidity is Bliss.

GOODNESS GAWD!! i'm so regretting not being able to follow the spoilers a while ago. i was just so damn tired cramming some important things. DX

but FAKKEN SHOOT!! THIS WENT BEYOND MY EXPECTATIONS!! DANGIT! really, i was SO CERTAIN MADOKA WAS HOMURA, but OMFG!! DAMN YOU UROBUCHI- I LOVE YOU MAN!! I LOVE YOU! LOL.

gawd, haven't watched it yet but look how much these revelations made me cry. I LOVE YOU FOREVER HOMERUN!!! T_T
BaKaBaKaOtaKu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-10, 20:13   Link #156
aeriolewinters
Gin-Sama no Tameni!

Am I getting the impression that the role reversal now is in play. Which would mean that Madoka will say the exact same thing that Homura told her during that first loop, either this:
1. will be ignored.
2. This will become an info dump to madoka/ madoka remembers all the other timelines.
Old 2011-03-10, 20:14   Link #157
Riou17
Red☆Crystal

Finally watched the subbed episode ^^ So I take back some of the things I said since those are just based on what I read here.

I like Glasses-Homura better than Distant-Homura, and it's good to know that she was once a naive and shy person than the person she is now.

I guess the only way to save Madoka is to really remove the MG/Witch system, and one way to do that is to stop Kyubey. I'm hoping that the last episode is about them versus Kyubey...if the story turns that way.

Also, which is a better way on removing the MG/Witch system? They can turn into MG but the Witch part is remove or the entire system itself (no MG, no Witch)?
Old 2011-03-10, 20:18   Link #158
Demon Eyes
May Haru-ki Be With You

Send a message via MSN to Demon Eyes
Ha! Homura = Homura! Hell yeah!

Also there was a Homu in there. Did anyone else catch it? Oh Japan! Talk about fabulous fanservice! All we need is another Homu to complete the HomuHomu.
Quote:
So how about we become monsters together and turn this world upside down?

Destroy, destroy, destroy it all!
At first I thought it was Madoka who said this.

I raised an eyebrow.

Then I found out it was HomuHomu who suggested it in another run.

What! The! F....!?! O_o

At this point this anime has already reached perfection! Nothing...and I mean nothing can happen now that would make me love it any less.

Madoka x Homura was delivered and I was overjoyed! I love how Madoka got stronger after HomuHomu showed up (if I took what Mami said to be true) The power of love indeed!

Then Homura's declaration of not minding how many times it took her to fix things as long as it was for Madoka!

Sigh....

Since the double suicide (well it was more of a double insanity but it works the same way) idea by HomuHomu was rejected by Madoka, this leaves me hope of a good end (or a sadder one) but those words of Madoka at the end shook me a little.

Hmmm....

BAH! I don't care anymore. Bring on the Heart Smashers Uro-sensei!

PS: I knew I loved Madoka for a reason!
Demon Eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-10, 20:39   Link #159
Raiza Sunozaki
Sorcerer of Uncertainty

I have to say, I've been enjoying this anime from the start, but these past episodes have skyrocketed it into the stratosphere of awesomeness. Especially this episode. Urobuchi astounds me with the way he can take such a simple concept like Mahou Shoujo and twist it so well. And I agree; it might only be the first quarter of the year, but for the title of Best Anime of 2011, this show's setting a high bar to beat.

Admittedly Homura's backstory surprised me a bit. Sure, I figured she had repeated time from her conversation with Kyubey, but I hadn't expected a full four previous live-throughs of the same thing. Though it does make some of her lines from earlier episodes a little clearer...
Her characterization was brilliant. Sure, it's nothing special to take a shy, nerdy character and turn the into a badass one, but to do so while she has to deal with everyone around her, even her closest, most important person dying over and over again... It's not like that's easy for anyone to bear. Her development was probably one of the bravest and heartbreaking one's I've seen in a while.
And I loved the appearance of all the Mahou Shoujo here, even though Sayaka still goes Witch and Mami has a breakdown... killing Kyouko... which ends with with her getting killed too...
Gen's really kicking the dead dog, isn't he?
Finally, seeing Mahou Shoujo Madoka in action finally is nice. It's good to see she's at least a competent one, at least. Though I'm a little disappointed at the lack of a scene where she annihilates the Walpurgis Night in one shot.
Raiza Sunozaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-10, 20:48   Link #160
FlavorOfLife
Uncaring

Funny episode. Mami going crazy was not expected
FlavorOfLife is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
madoka magica, time travel