AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2011-04-07, 19:39   Link #2141
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Well, I felt that one (I'm in Tokyo as of 4 this afternoon). News seems to be saying no major damage and the plants up North came through fine. It wasn't a violent shake here, but it did last almost a minute so I knew it was an aftershock of some magnitude rather than a tiddler centered here.
Wow, you went at this time? Gotta congratulate you on your guts man, I had plans to go back in October this year but I've held them off... probably going to return in April next year if things get smoothed out over there.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-07, 22:25   Link #2142
Jeffry2009
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Jeffry2009 Send a message via Yahoo to Jeffry2009
Jeffry2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-07, 23:16   Link #2143
Green²
It's Magic

"Strongest aftershock since tsunami rattles northeast Japan; 2 dead, widespread power outages"
http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/...mxC_story.html
Green² is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-08, 06:33   Link #2144
K. Shiruto

Has that been said? Apparently they finally stopped the water leak.
K. Shiruto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-08, 06:49   Link #2145
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

Again an earthquake 7,4 with 1 meter Tsunami...
-Sho- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-08, 08:37   Link #2146
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Sho- View Post
Again an earthquake 7,4 with 1 meter Tsunami...
Revised to 7.1, no tsunami...
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-08, 11:26   Link #2147
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Japan Earthquake: One Month Later

contain beautiful (or sad/devastating) pic
Old 2011-04-08, 13:46   Link #2148
Archangel Roy
Nandaiyo
*Graphic Designer

Wow.. Thats terrible
Old 2011-04-08, 13:56   Link #2149
Alchemist007
自分のチームにいるよ。
*Author

Hard to believe it has been that long.
Old 2011-04-08, 14:33   Link #2150
Highman
Keep Pounding and Destroy

Send a message via AIM to Highman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist007 View Post
Hard to believe it has been that long.
Those last couple of pictures really puts a warm smile on your face those school students to just be happy and have fun. That news site should have it's own news 24/7 channel. The Human emotion keeps up going and believes another great day has come.

On Monday I'm heading to my local Jaycees to have my blood taken out then sending it Japan anyone who needs a blood transfusion.

Nevertheless it's a great thing to see those victims finding a sense of never give up and enjoying life to the fullest.

Last edited by Highman; 2011-04-09 at 08:02.
Highman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-08, 17:33   Link #2151
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
3 die from the 7.1M quake

Still tinged with sensationalism as I have (sadly) come to recognise it well, but that's the update post the latest aftershock.
Bodies still being discovered, iirc, they haven't still entered that 20m evacuation zone yet where thousands lay a month later, rotting away. Concerns are now how they're gonna ID the remains, hence those who get to bury their dead are actually grateful now.
Tis a grim, grim tale...

Extract
Quote:
Last month's quake struck at 32km deep. More than 12,700 people are known to have died in the disaster and nearly 15,000 people remain unaccounted for. Hundreds of thousands have been made homeless.

In the latest earthquake, a 63-year-old woman died when the tremor knocked out power in Yamagata prefecture, shutting off her respirator.
In Miyagi Prefecture, two men, aged 79 and 85, died at a hospital. Fire officials say the quake may have brought on heart attacks.

The aftershock was felt in the capital Tokyo, several hundred kilometres away, and it was felt on the coast in those evacuation centres where tens of thousands are still living after the earthquake.

It was a real jolt, a reminder of what happened as we approach the [one-month] anniversary of the earthquake of 11 March. There have been many aftershocks since then, but this one was the biggest.
Physically most are okay, but mentally and emotionally, it's a real test of strength, especially with that latest one. As it's being said lately:

油断出来ない = We can't afford to relax just yet.

edit:
My bad, peeps are checking inside the exclusion zone, video here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12824166

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-08, 23:45   Link #2152
Tri-ring
The Censor Bat

Here is a piece I believe will be hard to believe and even harder to understand by some people out side Japan.

Tens of millions of 'lost' cash found in tsunami-hit areas

Quote:
SENDAI — Rescue workers and citizens have turned in to police tens of millions of yen in cash found in the rubble in mud-covered coastal areas in Japan’s northeastern region, hit hard by the killer quake and massive tsunami last month, police said Saturday.

While police and local governments are pessimistic about finding the original owners, unless the money was found with the original owners’ identifications, survivors are calling on authorities to use it to help in the reconstruction of the ravaged areas.

Under Japan’s law, people who find money can keep it if the original owners do not come forward within the three-month custodial period. When people who find it give up their claim or fail to show up to receive it within two months after the expiration of the custodial period, ownership will be transferred to prefectural governments or the owners of the property where the money was discovered.

According to the police in Iwate and Miyagi Prefectures, police stations receive everyday on average several hundred items containing cash. The areas were hit hard by the March 11 earthquake and ensuing tsunami waves.

The Miyagi prefectural police said the money has only been returned to the owners in less than 10 percent of the total cases. A senior officer of the police force said, ‘‘It is impossible to return cash unless it is found inside a wallet together with an ID.’‘

Shigeko Sasaki, 64, who is in a shelter in Miyagi’s Minamisanriku, said, ‘‘I want anybody picking up money to donate it to disaster-hit areas instead of keeping it for themselves.’‘

Kenji Sato, 65, in Onagawa, also in Miyagi, said it is acceptable for people who find money and report it to the police to eventually keep it ‘‘because it means they have goodwill.’’ Sato said he spotted many empty bags being dumped in devastated areas.

Takehiko Yamamura, head of the Disaster Prevention System Institute, urged authorities to set new measures to handle the matter, such as extending the three-month holding period and special permission to open a safe to determine the owner.
Old 2011-04-09, 00:40   Link #2153
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Personally, I think using unclaimed money as part of the recovery fund is a great idea. Hopefully there's some protocol both for claiming money and for the use of the unclaimed.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-09, 07:18   Link #2154
Green²
It's Magic

Green² is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-09, 09:24   Link #2155
delirium
Banned

Giving money to the government is questionable to me, but I doubt anyone is ballsy enough to misuse disaster relief funds. So, therefore I must support it. It is a good and novel idea.

I wonder if the people who survived the tsunami and earthquake will be discriminated against just as the hibakusha were.
delirium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-09, 10:47   Link #2156
SaintessHeart
Ehh? EEEEHHHHHH?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Personally, I think using unclaimed money as part of the recovery fund is a great idea. Hopefully there's some protocol both for claiming money and for the use of the unclaimed.
Unless nobody is looking when there is only one person picking up the cash. 8th core value (do anything you want, but don't get caught).

Nonetheless, I believe that retribution will be exacted on the dishonest guy no matter how much he or she has lost. Unless the money is found on the site of his/her own house, that would be acceptable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green² View Post
<snip>
If the radiation causes the genetic mutation of the cats and dogs into catgirls and puppygirls, I am all for it.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-09, 14:46   Link #2157
Alchemist007
自分のチームにいるよ。
*Author

So it didn't get ruined, or is it just coins?

Knows not about the physical durability of money.
Old 2011-04-09, 15:03   Link #2158
delirium
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist007 View Post
So it didn't get ruined, or is it just coins?

Knows not about the physical durability of money.
It's gotta be coins that were found, because Japan apparently uses cotton paper for their banknotes. Some other countries use polymer, but not Japan or the United States of America.

It seems unlikely that Japanese banknotes would survive all that has been done to it since the earthquake & tsunami struck, you know what I mean? It's only cotton paper after all.
delirium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-09, 22:24   Link #2159
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by delirium View Post
It's gotta be coins that were found, because Japan apparently uses cotton paper for their banknotes. Some other countries use polymer, but not Japan or the United States of America.

It seems unlikely that Japanese banknotes would survive all that has been done to it since the earthquake & tsunami struck, you know what I mean? It's only cotton paper after all.
Actually, cotton paper CAN survive being wet if it's kept in a wallet. It's cotton, after all; you can theoretically wash American greenbacks. Not recommended of course, but they are more resistant to water damage than regular paper.

Polymer notes still win, of course.
Old 2011-04-09, 23:17   Link #2160
RandySyler
Onee-Chan Power~!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
Actually, cotton paper CAN survive being wet if it's kept in a wallet. It's cotton, after all; you can theoretically wash American greenbacks. Not recommended of course, but they are more resistant to water damage than regular paper.

Polymer notes still win, of course.
Metal will always survive being wet

Tags
disaster, japan, tsunami