AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2012-01-25, 20:47   Link #2461
Zetsubo
著述遮断

Quote:
Originally Posted by seiyazuki View Post
About two days ago, the 5.0-magnitude earthquake hit around Fukushima and
this is normal quake these days in Japan.

People try to ignore if the big one hit Tokyo as they have to work and pay their home loans etc....

Japanese people are living with earthquakes but people and goverment arent ready for big hit, specially around Tokyo.

guess, even if these experts saying 100%, some japanese people go to work as usual......
From what understand, and it could be wrong, for some people there is major pressure and shame in not showing up for work even under dire national circumstances.

Apparently there is pride in dying around your desk ?

So the daimyo has been swapped for the CEO ?

I wonder.
Zetsubo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-25, 20:52   Link #2462
Ithekro
Warning

Aren't all the new building build to California standards or better? An even the older building to about that level of eathquake proofing. I know that some Chilean building were build to California standards and survived that large earthquake they had not that long ago, while the rest of the building (mostly brick I think) fell.

And while that means they can survive an earthquake, that does not mean they will survive a tsunami.
Old 2012-01-25, 23:13   Link #2463
Shinji01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetsubo View Post
From what understand, and it could be wrong, for some people there is major pressure and shame in not showing up for work even under dire national circumstances.

Apparently there is pride in dying around your desk ?

So the daimyo has been swapped for the CEO ?

I wonder.
I can't speak for the whole of Japan, but I do know that the general understanding is that you have to go to work unless your house has actually crumbled, or you/ family member is hurt.

Being scared is not a good enough reason to not show up to work.

It time of "dire national circumstances" people will be calling companies to check if they are ok (clients, stock holders ect) and as a company you have the responsibility to hold your ground and answer those calls or and other problems that may arise.

I was surprised to hear that my friends were already returning to work on Monday after the earthquake happened on a friday afternoon.
But because of people like that, we didnt experience unnecessary panic and rooting.
Imagine if the JR workers and convenience store/ super market staff hadn't shown up after the earthquake...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Aren't all the new building build to California standards or better? An even the older building to about that level of eathquake proofing. I know that some Chilean building were build to California standards and survived that large earthquake they had not that long ago, while the rest of the building (mostly brick I think) fell.

And while that means they can survive an earthquake, that does not mean they will survive a tsunami.
I am not sure if the Californian standard or Japanese standard is better, but we do have very good buildings that use base isolation systems and earth quake engineering technology.
Regulations and standards have gotten reinforced everytime Japan has a huge earthquake, like the Hanshin earthquake.
I have notice many buildings that have been temporarily shut down after 3.11 because they need to either tear it down because it is not strong enough, or restore it so that it becomes stronger and meets all standards.

The only building that crumbled was the one in Yotsuya so I am sorry to say but the casualties of that building were victims of a one in a million "wrong place at the wrong time" situation.
Like you said, the building in Yotsuya was made of more bricks than the usual material they use , which is very rare in Japan.

But like you said, buildings that are strong against earthquakes may not survive tsunamis (base isolation will be weak, where as brick houses will do better in this case)

So its tough to say which is ultimately better.
i guess hoping for no more tsunamis and just prepare for earthquakes which seems to happen more often is not good enough? D
Shinji01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-25, 23:53   Link #2464
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

You can have a usable building that's Earthquake-resistant OR Tsunami resistant. Not both.

You can build something that's resistant to both, but there wouldn't be room for anything else; as in, it would be a shelter that would not be usable for anything.

The general agreement is that what is needed is installation of Tsunami shelters.

You have buildings that allow people to survive Earthquakes, then survivors could proceed to reach the Tsunami shelter before the wave hits.
Old 2012-01-26, 00:05   Link #2465
Ithekro
Warning

I wonder if arcologies would work for both since they would be rather wide to sustain people inside.
Old 2012-01-28, 00:40   Link #2466
Shinji01

Fairly large earthquakes originating from mt Fuji area today.
Magnitude was 5.5.

But no one really seems to care anymore...

But maybe we now need to factor in earth quakes, tsunami and volcano eruptions?
Old 2012-01-28, 04:48   Link #2467
Ithekro
Warning

When you live on the Ring of Fire, anything below 6.0 means little to you without extras.

Though Mt. Fuji blowing would certainly cause some serious attention.
Old 2012-01-29, 06:14   Link #2468
Shinji01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
When you live on the Ring of Fire, anything below 6.0 means little to you without extras.

Though Mt. Fuji blowing would certainly cause some serious attention.
Yep, unless its over magnitude 7, it doesnt even make it in the news any more.

another mild one again today.
seems like we have another plate moving right now.
its always better to have several small ones rather than one huuugge one.
Old 2012-01-29, 06:32   Link #2469
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan Send a message via Skype™ to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji01 View Post
Fairly large earthquakes originating from mt Fuji area today.
Magnitude was 5.5.

But no one really seems to care anymore...

But maybe we now need to factor in earth quakes, tsunami and volcano eruptions?
Yeah, people in Japan are already accustomed regarding earthquake. What matter is everyone should be prepared.

Not getting to work because ones is scared of earthquake....? that's almost similar for a boy not getting to school in fear of getting pick by a bully. Let's get real, earthquakes doesn't choose which and where it'll strike next, what's important is making much of what remains of our days here.
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-02, 09:16   Link #2470
Shinji01

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
Yeah, people in Japan are already accustomed regarding earthquake. What matter is everyone should be prepared.

Not getting to work because ones is scared of earthquake....? that's almost similar for a boy not getting to school in fear of getting pick by a bully. Let's get real, earthquakes doesn't choose which and where it'll strike next, what's important is making much of what remains of our days here.
Thats right.
Earthquakes are unavoidable so you just have to keep doing what you have to do.
I do think that Japan is well prepared for earthquakes though.
Some schools that are on the coastline have weekly tsunami/ earthquake evacuation training, as well as nation wide evacuation run throughs.

I see that youre from the Phillipines. Dont you get lots of earthquakes there too?
Old 2012-02-04, 16:02   Link #2471
Solafighter
Hige

Another well made visualization map of the earthquakes in Japan on 2011. Worth watching. Turn up the volume of your speakers, when watching this.

http://www.dumpert.nl/mediabase/1986...uurgeweld.html
Old 2012-02-04, 16:28   Link #2472
andyjay729
YOU EEDIOT!!!

Heh, it almost reminded me of fireworks until March 11, when it sounded more like a glitch in a video game-and I was mildly shocked.
andyjay729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-04, 18:01   Link #2473
andyjay729
YOU EEDIOT!!!

It's been almost a year now since the disaster (hard to believe, eh?). Perhaps this comment could've waited another month until the exact anniversary, but I might've forgotten it by then.

Anyway, what were you doing when you first heard the news? I live in San Diego (time zone GMT-8 or something like that), and I think I was asleep, but I often go to bed late, like around 11:30. I think I checked my Yahoo email that night just before I went to bed, and I somewhat think I remember seeing a "breaking news" story about a strong earthquake in Japan, but I didn't click on the story. I think the quake occurred somewhere around 11 pm Pacific Standard Time on March 10. I'm not actually sure if I did see that story before hitting the sack or it's just a case of false memory, but then, it was about the right time. It made the local newspaper the next day (I think most American papers printed it about a day later).

The next morning I was a bit nervous about going to work since I work just three blocks from the beach in a low-lying area, even though it obviously wasn't nearly as bad as it was across the ocean or even just up in Santa Cruz. I've since noticed tsunami evacuation route signs on most of the major streets there; I don't think they were there before last March.
andyjay729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-11, 03:46   Link #2474
Shinji01

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyjay729 View Post
It's been almost a year now since the disaster (hard to believe, eh?). Perhaps this comment could've waited another month until the exact anniversary, but I might've forgotten it by then.

Anyway, what were you doing when you first heard the news? I live in San Diego (time zone GMT-8 or something like that), and I think I was asleep, but I often go to bed late, like around 11:30. I think I checked my Yahoo email that night just before I went to bed, and I somewhat think I remember seeing a "breaking news" story about a strong earthquake in Japan, but I didn't click on the story. I think the quake occurred somewhere around 11 pm Pacific Standard Time on March 10. I'm not actually sure if I did see that story before hitting the sack or it's just a case of false memory, but then, it was about the right time. It made the local newspaper the next day (I think most American papers printed it about a day later).

The next morning I was a bit nervous about going to work since I work just three blocks from the beach in a low-lying area, even though it obviously wasn't nearly as bad as it was across the ocean or even just up in Santa Cruz. I've since noticed tsunami evacuation route signs on most of the major streets there; I don't think they were there before last March.
I was in Makuhari Messe in Chiba, of all places.
I was attending the Drugstore Trade Show, walking around the isles when I thought I was feeling dizzy. I turned to tell my colleague that i feel dizzy, and then it really started to shake.
The boards for the tradeshow booths started shaking, the lighting in the huge Makuhari hall started shaking, people just froze on the spot and looked up in awe.

Then a second later, everyone started scramblng for the emergency exits. ( I was standing next to one)
A bunch of people made it outside, but the ceiling connecting halls were above us, so we all waited for the earthquake to stop.

The thick shutters on the walls of the hall (maybe half a centimeter thick) was flapping like a curtain. And people were trying to not get hit by it.

(Shutters when they are not moving.)

Then we all ran out to the side of the whole building and into open air.
PR girls in their uniforms were sitting on the ground crying, and it was quite a sight.

After that it took me 15 hours to get home by car, and when I got home, my whole room looked like it had been hit by a twister.
My fridge had moved half way across the room, and my dog was in the middle of all the rubble shaking.

I cant believe it has been almost a year, but I have moved houses and my new house is sooo sturdy I have not felt an earthquake for almost 2 whole months.

The town is back to normal, although I think the nuclear power plants are switched off again and people are complaining that it feels darker again.
Old 2012-02-14, 06:38   Link #2475
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyjay729 View Post

Anyway, what were you doing when you first heard the news?
Was part of the news on the Tokyo side of things. Was waiting for the 4th year elementary kids to begin class in the English room when I felt the rumble and laid my hand on the wall to sense it getting stronger.
After that, it was a 2mins dash across the corridors and down 4 flights of stairs to get to the playground as best as I could....
(Was like being inside of a Fun House) x.x;

I wrote about the day hours after it happened so it'd still be 'fresh' in my mind as I was stranded outside overnight cause trains were out.
Will post when March comes around...

And Shinji, many natives are still very much nervous and on edge, especially with a recently level 5 on the Japanese scale quake on a small island off Niigata last week. Was on the news for ages mainly because of the heavy snow that's also wrecking havok around the country and old people are dying from snowfalls or from the extreme cold.

We may be 'used' to quakes, but it still doesn't stop the fear from seeping into you as you ride it, waiting to see just how severe it'll be, espeically after last year.

Can't predict them, can't really defend against them, can only ride them out and hope that you make it through alive...(That goes for anywhere)

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-16, 05:38   Link #2476
Shinji01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique View Post
Was part of the news on the Tokyo side of things. Was waiting for the 4th year elementary kids to begin class in the English room when I felt the rumble and laid my hand on the wall to sense it getting stronger.
After that, it was a 2mins dash across the corridors and down 4 flights of stairs to get to the playground as best as I could....
(Was like being inside of a Fun House) x.x;

I wrote about the day hours after it happened so it'd still be 'fresh' in my mind as I was stranded outside overnight cause trains were out.
Will post when March comes around...

And Shinji, many natives are still very much nervous and on edge, especially with a recently level 5 on the Japanese scale quake on a small island off Niigata last week. Was on the news for ages mainly because of the heavy snow that's also wrecking havok around the country and old people are dying from snowfalls or from the extreme cold.

We may be 'used' to quakes, but it still doesn't stop the fear from seeping into you as you ride it, waiting to see just how severe it'll be, espeically after last year.

Can't predict them, can't really defend against them, can only ride them out and hope that you make it through alive...(That goes for anywhere)

Absolutely.
As much as I feel like I’m “used” to it, I still feel panic every time something overhead sways/ moves etc. And what makes me realize how seriously traumatized I am, is the fact that I jump at the train handle moving when the train is obviously running and you know that everything is swaying. This usually happens when I am reading things on my iphone on the yamanote train and not thinking of the earthquake at all.

But the fact of the matter is, you just have to shake it off and move on.
If you dwell on it, the more you will be afraid of it.
Like, many gymnasts that fell off the vault will immediately go and redo the routine again so that the trauma does not stick to your brain.

I am grateful though, that we are not having any major earthquakes during the winter.

I do worry about Niigata getting so much snowfall, then sudden warm days, and then earthquakes.
It’s an avalanche waiting to happen…
Old 2012-02-22, 04:45   Link #2477
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
Well when it doesn't happen, sure you have to move on, but one can't help but be aware, heh...
(There were 5 alone last Saturday, 2 in Chiba near Tokyo getting stronger on the day, so yeah, constant reminders aren't easy to keep one calm) ^^;;

Despite getting on with things, I can't help but find myself incredibly pensive in this coming month up to March 11th, thinking back on how far I've come and where I was in my life this time last year.

New Zealand just had their one year anniversary and I remember exactly where I was and what I was doing last year when I heard that news.
Who knew that we were to have our own version a mere 3 weeks later...

Anyways, as always there is the donation link stickied in this General Chat, I will update it and give most of you something to do to be able to donate for free everyday
(as long as you remember)

Remember, the suffering doesn't stop anywhere in the world when the mass media turn the cameras off. If you have some spare change about, keep on donating,
And for a little incentive, I'll leave you with this video.
And yes, it is worth every single minute of the total 8

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-22, 06:24   Link #2478
tenkenX6
*Fansubber

Thanks for posting the video clip, Mystique. It sparked a lot of emotions within me, since Japan is where I'm originally from. Most of my relatives still live there. Luckily, they all came out unscathed. Anyway, I still can't believe it has almost been a year since those tragic events. I'll do my part again this year and donate as much money as I can towards the relief efforts.
tenkenX6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-22, 09:45   Link #2479
Solafighter
Hige

Thank you for posting this video.
Old 2012-02-26, 03:16   Link #2480
Shinji01

I can't believe February is almost over.
I am surprised that we didnt have any huge earthquakes to further complicate the recovery.

I live in an apartment where the room under me is occupied by an old couple that moved to Tokyo from Fukushima after the earthquake.
Recently they moved out. And I am happy for them.

Tags
disaster, japan, tsunami