AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2011-03-16, 18:02   Link #1341
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
Actually, they don't say that #4 reactor might be dry. That's something the BBC added. But the "no data" part is worrying...
I don't even watch BBC I actually saw on NHK that the coolants for the used fuel had evaporated too much and caused some of the spent rods to be exposed, but not completely exposed. Well, even if I hadn't seen that, I wouldn't have believed BBC
Tsuyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-16, 18:13   Link #1342
Afternoon Tea
Ta~Da!!
*Artist

Send a message via Skype™ to Afternoon Tea
Dog in Japan stays by the side of its ailing friend in the rubble

It's a universal truth that dogs are man's best friend, but they're pretty darn loyal to their own as well. Case in point: this tear-inducing video, via the website Jezebel, showing a dog, shivering and disoriented, remaining loyally by the side of a stricken fellow canine amid the devastation of the Japanese tsunami. (Dykes)
one loyal canine refuses to leave his companion's side.

Spoiler for Translation:

This is what i call a best friend! all ways there for you!
If one is looking for the definition of "best friends" one needs to watch this video. Glad they are rescued.

[CNN is reporting that both dogs received medical attention. The injured dog is currently at a veteranarian getting care and the loyal dog friend is at a shelter. In summary of the mens' conversation in Japanese: at first the two thought the injured dog was dead. They immediately called a vet for assistance for both dogs. The men say they wish they had brought food to give the dogs. We will continue to follow any updates on this story and the status of the injured dog who is reportedly still weak. - Global Animal]
====
MyBlog:
Blog!

====
Quote:
"I'll send
all my loving
to you.
"

Afternoon Tea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-16, 18:38   Link #1343
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuyoshi View Post
This is really intense. I really have to wonder why so many quakes happened over a very short period of time.
In layman terms:

In plate tectonics, two plates seldom slide at a constant speed under each other or along side to each other. There are times, when there are parts in the plates that have higher friction. These parts will stop the process of sliding under/along each other for a certain amount of time. But at the same time the pressure of both plates will build up (the slide pressure is meant). Now it depends on how much pressure builds up, and how suddenly the part that stops the plates from sliding under/along side each other breaks away. If the pressure is high and the parts break away very fast, you will have a strong earth quake. Typically after a strong part that breaks away, follow not so strong parts, that need some time to break away while the pressure is releasing with each part that breaks away. This happens until there is a part that fully withstands the pressure or the pressure is completely released.

Hence, chances are high that after a strong earth quake, many not so strong earthquakes will follow. Usually the pressure is not fully released after an earthquake (well actually it is never released, since it is constantly building up again), so unless there follows an equally strong part that can withstand the remaining pressure. Many weaker parts will break until the pressure is released to a degree, where even weaker parts can withstand it. Then the pressure will build up again over time (a longer time), and the cycle starts anew. The stronger one part is, the more pressure is required to overcome it. And the more pressure must be released the more likely that there will be alot of afterquakes.

its difficult to explain (in english at least )
Jinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-16, 19:18   Link #1344
tetorapetora

I'm so annoyed right now... In my country, the information that the "regular" people are getting is making people believe a lot of BS. I can't have a proper rational conversation with any of my friends because they are the type that believe everything the next guy said, who happens to know the information from a friend of a brother of a girlfriend of a co-worker's mother.

The last "opinion" debate I participated in, was about people should flee the hell out of there instead of finding shelter and helping each other out. I sent them all to eat cow sh it. Everyone is too paranoid to even think straight, and they are relaying on past disaster managements speculations to justify the current ones. I can't stand this society I'm living in, I rather be in Japan right know suffering with them, and die of plausible radiation poisoning.
tetorapetora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-16, 19:36   Link #1345
solomon

Honestly now, don't say such stupid irresponsible things.
solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-16, 19:53   Link #1346
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
WHAT THE FUCK

I want to stab something now.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-16, 19:53   Link #1347
tetorapetora

I didn't meant to imply, I apologize, I'm just sad and angry, and it doesn't help that people around me doesn't seem to care about the disaster.
tetorapetora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-16, 19:58   Link #1348
Green²
It's Magic

Status of nuclear power plants in Fukushima as of 9:00 March 17 (Estimated by JAIF)
http://www.jaif.or.jp/english/news_i...300322727P.pdf
Green² is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-16, 20:02   Link #1349
Qikz

My Dad told me something on the phone today that I'd completely forgotten. March was the month I was planning to go this year until I had nowhere near enough money to go. I told him everything I wanted to do and I had this kind of odd schedule planned out. I looked and found my old "want to do" list and one of them was take a train ride up north and have a look around. I think I may have dodged a bullet.
Qikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-16, 20:06   Link #1350
flying ^

Quote:
WHAT THE FUCK

I want to stab something now.
you might wanna upgrade your weapon after you see this...

the 2nd most listened radio host in the US lets his thoughts out... no holds barred

the guy that does voice-over for Afflac commercial gets sacked
flying ^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-16, 20:17   Link #1351
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

I have less problems with jokes than with what that guy in the video I posted said. That guy was actually serious.

They've poured reactors #3 and #4 from helicopters. You can see the replays in NHK right now. They have to do it while passing because of the high radiation levels, and it seems so hopeless from such a long distance. I hope it's actually working.

Old 2011-03-16, 20:18   Link #1352
Liddo-kun
Come on everyone

Send a message via MSN to Liddo-kun
Quote:
Originally Posted by tetorapetora View Post
I rather be in Japan right know suffering with them, and die of plausible radiation poisoning.
Perhaps it's better to just donate a little cash than suffer in Japan?

http://www.globalgiving.org/dy/fundr...tml?regid=4830

The link is also used on Hatsuyuki's website for gathering donations for the earthquake victims.

http://hatsuyuki-fansubs.com/
Liddo-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-16, 20:20   Link #1353
solomon

I can't get TOO mad at CNBC cause its for business people and stock hounds who are distant from the problem on a personal level and she said that the fact that oil is moving lower that its good for the economy.

However, I must say....

When are you people going to learn to STAY AWAY FROM THE DOMESTIC CABLE NEWS NETWORKS.

THEY ARE INTERGRATED INTO COMMERCIAL ENTERTAINMENT ENTERPRISES AND AREN'T INTERESTED IN PROVIDING REASONED EDUCATED COVERAGE.

THEY'LL SHOW WHAT NEEDS TO BE SHOWN FOR RATINGS

Ironically at the CNN International Website there is a handy dandy Fukushima Incident for Dummies that everyone really needs to read before you go off and decide how bad this thing is or if it's another Chernobyl (Hint; it's not)

http://edition.cnn.com/interactive/2...ex.html?hpt=C1
Old 2011-03-16, 20:23   Link #1354
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Quote:
Ironically at the CNN International Website there is a handy dandy Fukushima Incident for Dummies that everyone really needs to read before you go off and decide how bad this thing is or if it's another Chernobyl (Hint; it's not)
There is something very worrying, though. If the spent fuel pools run out of water and the alloy of the fuel casing starts burning because of the heat, then we have radiation that will spew out in the smoke and, really, that is very similar to Chernobyl. Not to mention there seems to be much more radiation here than in Chernobyl.

Old 2011-03-16, 20:27   Link #1355
solomon

You make a fair point and this may sound insensitve to some seeing as how I am in America.

I am just not ready to go into full on panic mode based on the info and anaylsis I have seen and people outside Japan doing so need to remember that such knee jerk reaction almost never does any good. Until the problem is IMMINENT I am staying calm and advise the rest of people to do the same.
Old 2011-03-16, 20:29   Link #1356
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Japan Nuclear Agency PC on TBS: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/tbstv#..._medium=social

Old 2011-03-16, 20:34   Link #1357
Random32
Also a Lolicon

The Yen seems to be rather strong... Sold some of my Yen, depending on how things goes, I might sell more.
/feels guilty to be making a profit off of this disaster

Would a strong Yen hurt Japan's recovery by making Japanese products less competitive in the global market?

Quote:
There is something very worrying, though. If the spent fuel pools run out of water and the alloy of the fuel casing starts burning because of the heat, then we have radiation that will spew out in the smoke and, really, that is very similar to Chernobyl. Not to mention there seems to be much more radiation here than in Chernobyl.
This is not Chernobyl. Anything comparing the effects of Fukushima to Chernobyl is plain FUD.
Random32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-16, 20:36   Link #1358
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Why is it FUD? I didn't get it from the CNN or any western news agencies. The Japanese also seem to be extremely concerned about it...

Old 2011-03-16, 20:38   Link #1359
Random32
Also a Lolicon

Quote:
Why is it FUD? I didn't get it from the CNN or any western news agencies.
Fukushima != Chernobyl

I personally think things are going downhill rather fast, but Fukushima is not and has no chance of being a Chernobyl even if everything goes wrong.
Random32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-16, 20:39   Link #1360
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

But why is the explanation wrong? I agree with not entering in panic, but I presented a logical explanation, and I ask you to please point out where it is wrong...

Tags
disaster, japan, tsunami