AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Old 2011-03-18, 11:28   Link #1581
JokerD

Well, taking a break from the nuclear thing, not sure if this has been posted but:

Earthquake, before and after.
(mouse-over and slide)
http://www.channelnewsasia.com/annex/japanquake.htm

Terashima looks especially bad
JokerD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-18, 11:36   Link #1582
j0x
Giga Drill Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JokerD View Post
Well, taking a break from the nuclear thing, not sure if this has been posted but:

Earthquake, before and after.
(mouse-over and slide)
http://www.channelnewsasia.com/annex/japanquake.htm

Terashima looks especially bad
wow devastating

thanks for sharing
j0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-18, 11:37   Link #1583
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by omimon View Post
^Wait are those temperatures good?
That isn't too much higher than your CPU temps in your computer.
Old 2011-03-18, 13:09   Link #1584
Tom Bombadil

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrw View Post
actually bad thing because its reactor 5&6 which doesn't have problem before
I doubt that's the case. It will be pretty hard to explain scientifically why they suddenly decides to act up. Most likely people were just more focused on more urgent/sensational stuff so #4,5 and 6 are neglected for a while, until they found that there is a problem at hand.
Old 2011-03-18, 13:23   Link #1585
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Spent fuel ponds at #5 and #6 were slowly heating starting about Monday. They never boiled and the water level never dipped below the level of the fuel, so it never got to the crisis stage - but it was a concern. With the backup diesel generator running it seems unlikely that these reactors are going to be as big a concern as the others.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-18, 13:29   Link #1586
Tom Bombadil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Spent fuel ponds at #5 and #6 were slowly heating starting about Monday. They never boiled and the water level never dipped below the level of the fuel, so it never got to the crisis stage - but it was a concern. With the backup diesel generator running it seems unlikely that these reactors are going to be as big a concern as the others.
True. If I was the person in charge, I doubt I would have acted differently. After all, those reactors running before the earthquake are the biggest risk.

Meanwhile, facepalm at my countryman buying iodized salt in swarms. I pity those families who run out of salt around this time. What can you do except dining out?

Last edited by Tom Bombadil; 2011-03-18 at 13:57.
Tom Bombadil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-18, 13:56   Link #1587
Green²
It's Magic

Quote:
Can't say it will be in the clear until temperatures stabilize and/or decrease.

Edit:

Unit 5 Spent Fuel Pool Water Temperature at 65.5 ℃ at 03:00 March 18th.
Unit 5 Spent Fuel Pool Water Temperature at 66.3 ℃ at 13:00 March 18th.
Unit 5 Spent Fuel Pool Water Temperature at 67.6 ℃ at 21:00 March 18th.

Unit 6 Spent Fuel Pool Water Temperature at 62.0 ℃ at 03:00 March 18th.
Unit 6 Spent Fuel Pool Water Temperature at 64.0 ℃ at 13:00 March 18th.
Unit 6 Spent Fuel Pool Water Temperature at 65 ℃ at 21:00 March 18th.

[Unit 3,4,5 & 6]
Work for switchboard and cabling is scheduled until March 20th in order
to secure external power supply

Latest NISA news release:
http://www.nisa.meti.go.jp/english/f...20110319-1.pdf

Last edited by Green²; 2011-03-18 at 15:03. Reason: Updated with latest NISA report.
Green² is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-18, 14:08   Link #1588
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

You need look no further than the IAEA's own analysis to judge where they perceive the greatest threat. While they upgraded the incident level to "5" this was at the reactors where there was core damage. #4-6 were ranked only as a "3". As long as the water in those pools never boils - and as long as they have backup power working - #5-6 will not be a major issue.

Per BBC (which continues to provide the best overall analysis) the radioactive output of the reactors 1-3 had decreased to about 1/1000 of it's pre-accident level with normal decay and the seawater cooling efforts. This is a strange scenario in that time is both the greatest enemy and greatest friend - it's a race against the clock to get the cores cool before they melt down. But the longer you can prevent that from happening, the less heat they generate and the more radioactive i-131 decays away.

The key now is restoring the power. TEPCO says they think they can get power restored to #1-4 in the next 48 hours. Obviously you have to take anything TEPCO says with a pound of salt. But if they can actually make that happen, the ship will have sailed on a wider disaster - much to the disappointment of the American media and the French government.

Update from BBC:
Quote:
1848: Tokyo Electric Power Co, which operates Fukushima Daiichi, says it has now connected an external power line to its stricken plant and would first supply reactor 2 because it is less damaged, Reuters reports. The power is needed to operate the plant's badly-needed cooling systems, which were damaged last Friday.
Old 2011-03-18, 14:12   Link #1589
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique View Post
Japan doing what they do best for the kids

Nuclear Boy

What's the deal with not being able to embed youtube videos on here anymore, btw?
This was great... it had me laughing so hard i spilled my coffee. And it was more informative than 3/4 of what the western press is spewing (*cough* Inside Edition version of "science" *cough*)

Oh and your private message stack is full.
Old 2011-03-18, 15:44   Link #1590
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

some flash game about nuclear

http://esa21.kennesaw.edu/activities...nergy/nuke.htm
Old 2011-03-18, 16:07   Link #1591
germanturkey
Smiling Monster

wait, so i just read on yahoo that the Yakuza was helping with aid distribution. now, i'm absolutely positive i've seen this in an anime somewhere.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-18, 16:46   Link #1592
Green²
It's Magic

Some good news in the mix from the IAEA:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAEA
1. Current Situation

As I reported yesterday, the situation at the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plants remains very serious, but there has been no significant worsening since our last briefing.

The situation at the reactors at Units 1, 2 and 3 appears to remain fairly stable.

Seawater was injected yesterday into Unit 2 and white smoke was again observed through the blown-out panels.

At Unit 3, which was the subject of helicopter water drops yesterday, water cannons have been spraying water on the spent fuel pond and seawater was injected into the reactor pressure vessel.

An important safety concern remains the spent fuel pools at Units 3 and 4. Information is lacking on water levels and temperatures at the spent fuel pools.

Efforts are being made to restore electrical power to the whole site. Another positive development is that diesel generators are providing power for cooling for both Units 5 and 6.

No problems have been reported at the common spent fuel pool. The spent fuel in the pool is fully covered by water.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAEA
2. Radiation Monitoring

As mentioned yesterday, regular dose rate information is now being received from 47 Japanese cities.

Dose rates in Tokyo and other cities remain far from levels which would require action - in other words they are not dangerous to human health.

First measurements in Tokyo by the Agency's newly arrived radiation monitoring team today showed no indication of Iodine-131 or Caesium-137. A second sampling will be carried out overnight.
IAEA Briefing on Fukushima Nuclear Emergency (18 March 2011, 14:00 UTC)
http://www.iaea.org/newscenter/news/...iupdate01.html

New charts also presented:

http://www.slideshare.net/iaea/techn...japan-march-18
http://www.slideshare.net/iaea/summa...-graham-andrew
http://www.slideshare.net/iaea/techn...8th-march-2011
Green² is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-18, 16:57   Link #1593
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

The media is starting to become bored with the story, which may be the best sign of all. All of the international services are leading with Libya, and on NPR even Yemen and general Earthquake news hit before Fukushima was mentioned.

The disappointment on their part is palpable.
Old 2011-03-18, 17:04   Link #1594
Ithekro
Space Battleship

They wanted explosions and mass panic. They got very little of that after last Friday ended. Only place with good explosions and panicking now is Libya.
Old 2011-03-18, 17:26   Link #1595
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
Quote:
The media is starting to become bored with the story, which may be the best sign of all. All of the international services are leading with Libya, and on NPR even Yemen and general Earthquake news hit before Fukushima was mentioned.

The disappointment on their part is palpable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
They wanted explosions and mass panic. They got very little of that after last Friday ended. Only place with good explosions and panicking now is Libya.
They got explosions, but not mass panic. They learned that the Japanese people are far more resilient than what they believed, having assumed they were not unlike the west in their habit of panicking and spreading chaos when shit hits the fan but seeing something else entirely.

It's very good that the media is getting bored of what is happening in Fukushima. This may also mean the situation there isn't as bad as they're trying so hard to make it out to be (I even hear one person say they want to bury it in concrete like they did Chernobyl but I haven't heard that from anywhere else, and NHK says they're continuing to spray water on the reactors).
Tsuyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-18, 17:35   Link #1596
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuyoshi View Post
They got explosions, but not mass panic. They learned that the Japanese people are far more resilient than what they believed, having assumed they were not unlike the west in their habit of panicking and spreading chaos when shit hits the fan but seeing something else entirely.

It's very good that the media is getting bored of what is happening in Fukushima. This may also mean the situation there isn't as bad as they're trying so hard to make it out to be (I even hear one person say they want to bury it in concrete like they did Chernobyl but I haven't heard that from anywhere else, and NHK says they're continuing to spray water on the reactors).
Meh, it even seemed to confuse them that the refugees were self-organizing and seeing after themselves as best they could instead of eating each other and sitting on their asses wailing. One reporter seemed dumbfounded that the vending machines were being left alone (not vandalized). Practically... I'd say one should save those for last anyway after other options are expired.
Old 2011-03-18, 17:37   Link #1597
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Meh, it even seemed to confuse them that the refugees were self-organizing and seeing after themselves as best they could instead of eating each other and sitting on their asses wailing. One reporter seemed dumbfounded that the vending machines were being left alone (not vandalized). Practically... I'd say one should save those for last anyway after other options are expired.
I would say it's the "no looting" and "can't be like Chernobyll" that turned western reporters off
Old 2011-03-18, 17:47   Link #1598
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth Send a message via Skype™ to Malkuth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuyoshi View Post
I would say it's the "no looting" and "can't be like Chernobyll" that turned western reporters off
Wait a second, we are critical (and rightfully so, IMHO) towards western reporters, but what about asians? How was the earthquake covered in china, and korea?
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-18, 17:50   Link #1599
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
Wait a second, we are critical (and rightfully so, IMHO) towards western reporters, but what about asians? How was the earthquake covered in china, and korea?
I'm not really sure on that since I don't hear a lot of reportage from there regarding the whole thing. Better people to ask are from China/Korea/other parts of Asia Pacific. However! I have spoken to my friend from Egypt and until I told him otherwise, he was also under the believe that Fukushima was posing pretty much the same if not similar dangers to Chernobyl. To me, this does imply that Egyptian news are just as guilty of fear mongering as western news sources.
Old 2011-03-18, 18:08   Link #1600
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...d/7477987.html

As aid is slow to come (due to logistics and access obstacles), japanese are organizing to fend for themselves.

Tags
disaster, japan, tsunami