AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2011-03-15, 06:10   Link #61
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Yet, when such stuff happens on your shift, you have to do the clean-up.

RIP, Oba-chan (1935-2008)
yezhanquan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-15, 11:13   Link #62
Asuras
Dictadere~!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yezhanquan View Post
Ok, maybe I should have said "more powerful than any single one nuclear weapon Man had ever produced".
At this point, the proposition of just one nuclear weapon ever being used in an event is slim. So such comparisons don't mean much.
It's like... A .50 cal bullet is stronger than a M16 bullet, but its not like the M16 will only fire once. It's overall damage to the target will me much greater.

Launch one, everyone conforms.
Old 2011-03-15, 15:08   Link #63
Random32
Also a Lolicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsune View Post
Once in a 1000 years? Have you even tried to google it?

In less than 1 minute search, take a look to this list :http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...uakes_in_Japan

We can beter say once every decade.

Could you please take the time to read the question before even thinking in posting an answer? My question wasn't why they are located in the coast, my question was why are them located in the eastern coast, al major quakes will be located EVER in the eastern side of the islands, also the sea depth is obviously greather in the eastern side (see map, darker blue colours means deepener zones), and a greather depth means a potentially greather tsunami hitting those zones.

If to safety we refer the obvious solution would have been to locate all the nuclear power plants on the western side and distribute energy to the entire island through high voltage power transmission lines (after all, electrical power is pretty easy to transport).
1. Look at your chart. When is the last time there was an earthquake comparable to March 11 Sendai Earthquake

2. It would be nice to build in many places, but the engineer rarely gets what he wants due to businessmen and politicians. I could rant about this forever, but life would be much safer if engineers were the final decision maker.
Random32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-15, 15:16   Link #64
flying ^

Interesting piece by NYTimes

Reactor Design in Japan Has Long Been Questioned

The warnings were stark and issued repeatedly as far back as 1972: If the cooling systems ever failed at a Mark 1 nuclear reactor, the primary containment vessel surrounding the reactor would probably burst as the fuel rods inside overheated. Dangerous radiation would spew into the environment.

Now, with one Mark 1 containment vessel damaged at the embattled Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant and other vessels there under severe strain, the weaknesses of the design — developed in the 1960s by General Electric — could be contributing to the unfolding catastrophe.
flying ^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-16, 17:42   Link #65
I_am_Kami
Disabled By Request

Sooooo, i just heard on the news here in america that the nuclear reactors will explode but Japan denies it. Anyone heard the same thing?
I_am_Kami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-16, 17:46   Link #66
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic Send a message via Skype™ to synaesthetic
It's bullshit. The reactor may leak radiation, but it's not going to explode like a bomb.

All of this nuclear misinformation is seriously pissing me off. Fucking lefties whine and whine about oil but NO WE CAN'T USE NUCLEAR POWER, WE MIGHT GROW TENTACLES OUT OF OUR ASS.

*headdesk*
Old 2011-03-16, 17:54   Link #67
Ithekro
Warning

Ah for the "World of the Future" type series in the late 40s and early 50s...the world were everything would be nuclear powered. From power plants and ships to houses and cars. Everything was going to be better because of the atom and fission techology.

Far cry from what we actually have today, isn't it?
Old 2011-03-16, 18:35   Link #68
Konakaga
Yuri Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Konakaga Send a message via Skype™ to Konakaga
Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
It's bullshit. The reactor may leak radiation, but it's not going to explode like a bomb.

All of this nuclear misinformation is seriously pissing me off. Fucking lefties whine and whine about oil but NO WE CAN'T USE NUCLEAR POWER, WE MIGHT GROW TENTACLES OUT OF OUR ASS.

*headdesk*
But it makes for much more exciting a headlines/news stories if they act like it's going to explode like that, since you know are media prefers thinks that they think will sell instead of the truth *facepalm*.
Old 2011-03-16, 18:41   Link #69
Zetsubo
著述遮断

Humans currently cannot create nor destroy energy.

Human knowledge teaches that we are now only able to convert energy from one existing form to another.

Fission power is an immensely powerful and cost effective way to do this conversion for our own modern benefits.

We are piggy back riding on entropy... eaves dropping in on the atomic decay of matter and harnessing its heat, converting it to an intermediate form via steam into the final product electricity.

We already invested energy into the creation and purification of nuclear power fuel rods, but that input is minuscule in comparison to the overall output yield.

However the spent fuel isn't exactly easily disposed of.

But the fact is, nuclear power stations give a lot more output than was put in.

The only other competitors on the same playing field are OIL COAL and N.GAS.

They all do the same... converted by decay into heat and exhaust gases into steam or mechanical rotations, into electricity.

The effort to find, mine and refine these fuels are considerable as well, but the final output is MORE than the initial input.

However, these fuels by themselves are relatively inert in comparison to nuclear fuel.

OIL, COAL and N.GAS don't do much until you ignite them or let them leak into the environment... or their by products from burning.

They can peel your skin and ruin your lungs, but you can see them and avoid them.

They don't get though your walls as easily.

These fuels can also be cleaned, with much effort, after a spill and given a generation or two environmental effects are recoverable. Even the green house gasses will be balanced out by nature in time.

Unlike spent fuel rods however, they burnt off stuff is sent into the environment, but its manageable, and we don't suffer as horribly.

NUCLEAR fuel... is never intert.... in any form it seems (correct me if I am wrong)

It poisons an area it spills into for thousands of years and we have NO WAY of making a clean up job effective.

The area around chernobyl is unfit for human habitation... FULL STOP.

You don't have to build a concrete sarcophagus over a blown up diesel fuel generator plant.

I think that these are the simple mans fears and worries that we have to take into consideration.

I would wager that the day we make a way to neutralize and prevent radioactive effects in the human body and that of other life forms plus in the environment, is the day that we will be truly able to maximise nuclear use.

When we can make inert spent nuclear fuel or have a reactor explode and not worry since we have environmental "nano machines" that can clean up the effects is the day that the anti-nuke argument will be silenced.

The positives of Nuclear fuel is IMMENSE

But so are the negatives.

The positives of fossil fuels are Measured and less than Nuclear
but the negatives of fossil fuels are also measured and less than Nuclear
Zetsubo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-16, 18:52   Link #70
Afternoon Tea
Ta~Da!!
*Artist

Send a message via Skype™ to Afternoon Tea
48.9% of electric energy comes from our nuclear reactors here in Illinois, There are 11 active nuclear reactors at six different sites within the state, most of them concentrated in the far northern part of Illinois. So we have the most Nuclear reactor in the U.S. My biggest concern here is What will happen when an F5 tornado hits a nuclear power plant?
====
MyBlog:
Blog!

====
Quote:
"I'll send
all my loving
to you.
"

Afternoon Tea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-16, 18:53   Link #71
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post

*headdesk*
Heh, lets be a bit more expansive, its not "lefties" or "righties" I find as much as just *ignorant*. My right-tipped relatives are just as uninformed and spooked so I'm spending a lot of time trying to educate. Even the well-off righties have a NIMBY syndrome on the issue.

But yeah, my son is spending energy on his girlfriend's 'ultra-left' people who are just as uninformed.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-16, 19:01   Link #72
Nosauz

NPR and commentators claiming this was a failure in design.... I was floored, a nuclear reactor, suffers a 9.0+ magnitude, a tsunami tidal wave, multiple explosions, fuel rod exposure and lack of coolant for heat removal and we still don't have a meltdown, people really are expecting these things to weather everything. At some point we have to look at this and say that this is a good thing, if nuclear reactors are built like this, a lesser earthquake wouldn't have done the damage.

@zetsubo

It depends on how u view fossil fuels, fueling the blood wars, the monarchies that brutally suppress their people are also greatly damaging to society as a whole, it just depends on how you view this situation, there are so many things that influence in these factors especially when the world is so dynamic. Measured really isn't all that measured.
Nosauz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-16, 19:06   Link #73
Hiroi Sekai
Minna no ojou-sama~♥
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via Skype™ to Hiroi Sekai
Some people have been talking about total destruction and Fallout due to the nuclear meltdowns...

Any opinions?
Old 2011-03-16, 19:31   Link #74
Ithekro
Warning

Fallout from what? This isn't a bomb, nor should the reactor be able to explode like Chernobyl did.
Old 2011-03-16, 19:32   Link #75
Kuroi Hadou
Dark Energy

Send a message via AIM to Kuroi Hadou Send a message via Skype™ to Kuroi Hadou
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetsubo View Post
Humans currently cannot create nor destroy energy.

Human knowledge teaches that we are now only able to convert energy from one existing form to another.
What are you blabbering about? There's not "currently" and "now only able" about it. The conservation laws outright state that you can neither create or destroy energy; no technological advancement will break iron-clad laws.

Quote:
Which fossil fuels are you talking about? Oil? It's used primarily in transportation. Coal? It has high energy returns but I would argue it's even more damaging to the environment in the long term than nuclear. NG? You may have an argument there, but right now the technology just isn't there. Nuclear is currently the best option for large-scale energy generation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by papermario13689 View Post
Some people have been talking about total destruction and Fallout due to the nuclear meltdowns...

Any opinions?
Honestly, if we were going to have a meltdown, I think it would have already happened. Granted, there's no way to predict f***ing Murphy, but a meltdown happens rapidly.
Old 2011-03-16, 19:33   Link #76
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetsubo View Post
The positives of Nuclear fuel is IMMENSE

But so are the negatives.

You are missing something entirely; You need an electric supply. It doesn't matter how dangerous you think fission is, the fact is modern cities need mains power to function.

If the country concerned has a steady local supply of coal or gas, then so be it. But what if you don't have enough local fossil fuel reserves to match the electrical demand?

You had to buy and use uranium. Because power is required everywhere. Everything else is secondary.

Lose electric supply = people will die. And people will keep dying until the population drops back to a level matching pre-electricity days. And that would be a death toll worse than any fallout.
Old 2011-03-16, 19:39   Link #77
Hiroi Sekai
Minna no ojou-sama~♥
*Graphic Designer

Meh, just stating what I've been seeing a lot more of lately.

My father is perfectly calm, but my mother is freaking out already>.> I've been driving home multiple times this week due to "supposed experts talking about potential radiation spikes travelling all around the world."
Old 2011-03-16, 19:41   Link #78
Kuroi Hadou
Dark Energy

Send a message via AIM to Kuroi Hadou Send a message via Skype™ to Kuroi Hadou
Quote:
Originally Posted by papermario13689 View Post
"supposed experts talking about potential radiation spikes travelling all around the world."
Ugh. Please excuse me while I go destroy the coffee table I just bought with my head.
Old 2011-03-16, 19:42   Link #79
Hiroi Sekai
Minna no ojou-sama~♥
*Graphic Designer

Destroy it with a passion, for my poor sake.
Old 2011-03-16, 19:45   Link #80
Ithekro
Warning

There will be spikes, but not the freak out level kind. It would be more like the humidity level in a desert. It spikes by 5 times normal in the desert for a few hours. Did it rain? No. Did you feel it even, probably not. Will it kill you with a flash flood because the humidity spiked 5 times normal in the desert? Hell no.