AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Attack on Titan

Notices

Old 2013-09-05, 13:24   Link #1261
Raviel

I think it has more to do with who they killed or sent to their deaths rather than why they did it. Fundamentally, yes, Erwin might not be that different from the Titan trio in that they're perfectly willing to sacrifice lives for their goal.

However, I think most people see it this way: Annie, Bert, and Reiner are worse because they knowingly took innocent/civilian lives while everyone who's died under Erwin's command is a trained soldier who is "expected" to accept the fact that he or she could die at any time.

That said, is it bad that I'm beginning to care more about what the hell is in Eren's basement, the Titan trio's village, and the overall setting rather than who lives or dies?
Raviel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-05, 14:51   Link #1262
kitten320

What about the mission in the forest? He knew lots of people would die but never really mentioned to anyone just how dangerous whole thing is.

Also can't remember but who exactly sent Armin's grandfather and all other people to their death?

And going by who was killed... Annie has killed only soldiers during her ambush, even her comrades were spared even though she could've slaughtered Armin 100s of times. Her involvement with Marco and gates are just assumptions with no real proof yet out of 4 she is the most hated chara 0_o

Also I did this comparison before but what about Uchiha Itachi? The dude literally slaughtered his whole clan: Elderly people, children, family, friends, innocent civilians, lover and shinobi.

Not to mention that he killed lots of jinchuriki including Gaara and many other shinobi. He also mind fucked and traumatized Sasuke. Yet he never was hated. Fans always worshipped him.

But Annie gets bashed for killing only several soldiers. No innocent people. She spared her friends even though that mean her doom. How exactly is she worse than Itachi?

Is it because she's a female? Because I really can't think of why else she is disliked so much. I'm pretty sure that if she was a guy, most people would worship her. Since when being a guy made you cool and your actions excusable?

It's not even Annie, same thing happens everywhere!
cold female = bitch! Oh you think this good act will help you? Just die!
cold male = He is so cool and lovely! HE can't die! OH look he did something good, he is not bad!

I mean really? Where is equality in that?

P.S Why do I have a feeling that basement is long time empty.
Old 2013-09-05, 15:29   Link #1263
Haigon

Annie wouldn't recieve half of the hatred if she didn't killed Petra, that is a fact.
Haigon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-05, 15:30   Link #1264
bastek66
Banned

Dat Armin speech to traitors. Damn.
bastek66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-05, 15:41   Link #1265
kitten320

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haigon View Post
Annie wouldn't recieve half of the hatred if she didn't killed Petra, that is a fact.
I have to agree. Though honestly have no idea why she is so popular. Apart from being cute there was nothing going for her =/

I guess cute is all you need to be loved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bastek66 View Post
Dat Armin speech to traitors. Damn.
What did he say? I really want to know since I can't find translation anywhere yet.
Old 2013-09-05, 16:07   Link #1266
DarkLordOfkichiku

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320 View Post
What did he say? I really want to know since I can't find translation anywhere yet.
Here:

Spoiler for Armin's speech:
DarkLordOfkichiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-05, 16:11   Link #1267
kitten320

Oh wow... Armin sure went far there. Now the two of them will kill more than necessary.

Well at least I have one thing confirmed. Those two do care for Annie. I had my doubts thinking that they were just working together and nothing more.
Old 2013-09-05, 16:41   Link #1268
Thoutzan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkLordOfkichiku View Post
Here:

Spoiler for Armin's speech:
From the version I read, Bert responded:
Spoiler for Its hints in the newest episode:

Last edited by Thoutzan; 2013-09-05 at 16:53.
Thoutzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-05, 16:57   Link #1269
kitten320

^I do hope that's the right translation! That would give lots of new hints!
Old 2013-09-05, 17:11   Link #1270
DarkLordOfkichiku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoutzan View Post
From the version I read, Bert responded:
Spoiler for Its hints in the newest episode:
It may well be the correct translation. The one I posted above was, to the best of my knowledge, a hastily made one so... *shrugs*.
DarkLordOfkichiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-05, 17:47   Link #1271
darklegends8

Quote:
I have to agree. Though honestly have no idea why she is so popular. Apart from being cute there was nothing going for her =/

I guess cute is all you need to be loved.

It's not like there's much going for Annie either. She's good at fighting sure, but so is Petra, she's cold and distant and all we know about her past really is that her dad told her to treat humanity as an enemy. Petra meanwhile, is kind and warmhearted. I liked Annie, but I hate her for killing Petra.
Old 2013-09-05, 18:14   Link #1272
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklegends8 View Post
It's not like there's much going for Annie either. She's good at fighting sure, but so is Petra, she's cold and distant and all we know about her past really is that her dad told her to treat humanity as an enemy. Petra meanwhile, is kind and warmhearted. I liked Annie, but I hate her for killing Petra.
How dare you! You take that back right now!

Spoiler for Top 10 Harem Protagonists:
Randrak42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-05, 19:06   Link #1273
kitten320

Excuse me? 0_o

Despite the lack of screen time Annie is far more developed than lots of so called main charas. There is lots of depth put into her.

While she does seem cold she clearly is not emotionless. And she is distant for obvious reasons, would you befriend those you might kill? In all honesty the fact that Reiner and Bertholdt act all buddy buddy while killing people behind their backs seems far more cruel then ignoring them from the start.

Since everyone puts so much trust in Armin's words, he is the one who called her a good person and said that she doesn't want them to go to front lines. Why? Because she would have to kill them. She didn't want it.

However, she cares. She allowed Eren to get close and taught him how to fight. One of the reasons why he is still alive to be honest.
She didn't kill Armin because she cares. If she didn't he would be dead and she would not be captured.

She is told by her father to treat whole world as enemy and that's what she does, she tries to distance herself from everyone but fails and starts to care. She calls herself a failure of a warrior mostly probably because of that.

Despite being strong, she calls herself weak. Why?

She calls herself a bad person, she admits that she is bad yet when Armin calls her good, she wants to cling onto it.

She was sent on a secret mission as a spy and hides some big secret. She is the most developed Titan to boot!

What is this crystal thing? Where did she learn to do that?

Going by last chapter, the 3 shifters are close friends yet they kept a façade of not caring.

I'm sorry but Annie has far more things going for her than you think.

Who is Petra? A good natured girl with a crush on Levi who survived several years and killed quiet a bit of titans. That's it. We never even properly saw her in action nor is there anything new to learn about her.

If you only see Annie as uncaring, cold person you clearly did not pay attention nor do you want to.
Old 2013-09-05, 20:02   Link #1274
richardtengcy

OMG so much SHOCK FACTOR in chapter 49.....so hard to digest.

My heart nearly stop when i saw Mikasa grab by a titan....thank you Jean for saving her!
I think this will causes of much JeanxMikasa ship.

Also i was shock by Erwin attack by a titan which he lost his arm and yet still able to fight and gives command which i find pretty reckless.

Last but not least...its REVENGE TIME motherfucker....finally Eren and Mikasa confront the Titan that ate their mother.
richardtengcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-05, 20:15   Link #1275
SpAyKeR

What IF the Titan which ate Eren's mother
Spoiler for spoil:

Look at his previous apperance and also when Eren and Mikasa were saving Eren's mother, then Armin was absent during it. Moreover it might also be a hint about his "wisdom".

"Never need to question, how to defeat you" -by Disturbed
SpAyKeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-05, 20:16   Link #1276
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

I should stop checking the thread at around this time of the month...

Old 2013-09-05, 20:31   Link #1277
MC117

Quote:
What about the mission in the forest? He knew lots of people would die but never really mentioned to anyone just how dangerous whole thing is.

Also can't remember but who exactly sent Armin's grandfather and all other people to their death?

And going by who was killed... Annie has killed only soldiers during her ambush, even her comrades were spared even though she could've slaughtered Armin 100s of times. Her involvement with Marco and gates are just assumptions with no real proof yet out of 4 she is the most hated chara 0_o

Also I did this comparison before but what about Uchiha Itachi? The dude literally slaughtered his whole clan: Elderly people, children, family, friends, innocent civilians, lover and shinobi.

Not to mention that he killed lots of jinchuriki including Gaara and many other shinobi. He also mind fucked and traumatized Sasuke. Yet he never was hated. Fans always worshipped him.

But Annie gets bashed for killing only several soldiers. No innocent people. She spared her friends even though that mean her doom. How exactly is she worse than Itachi?

Is it because she's a female? Because I really can't think of why else she is disliked so much. I'm pretty sure that if she was a guy, most people would worship her. Since when being a guy made you cool and your actions excusable?

It's not even Annie, same thing happens everywhere!
cold female = bitch! Oh you think this good act will help you? Just die!
cold male = He is so cool and lovely! HE can't die! OH look he did something good, he is not bad!

I mean really? Where is equality in that?

P.S Why do I have a feeling that basement is long time empty.
No, he did not kill gaara, did gaara and itachi ever met in the first place? gaara lost to deidara and died when they extracted the shukaku from him, he killed lots of jinchuriki? did I miss something? because I can't remember him ever killing anyone besides the uchiha clan which he killed to protect konoha, he didn't have any evil intentions. All the things itachi did was for the greater good, at least that's what he thought was right, we don't know what reasons annie has so far other than what her dad told her about humanity being her enemy etc but I'm pretty sure she has better reasons than that, I don't hate her by the way, she is actually my favorite female character so far, many people probably hate her because she killed petra.
Old 2013-09-05, 20:36   Link #1278
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

Thing is...people loved, even worshiped Itachi before we found out his real reasons for killing his whole clan. Yes, people fangasmed over the guy even back when he was just perceived as a mass murderer (which he still is...).

Old 2013-09-05, 20:38   Link #1279
Xero8420

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklegends8 View Post
I think I should throw these words back to you. Hating her for killing off Petra is just plain silly.
Xero8420 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-05, 21:10   Link #1280
kitten320

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC117 View Post
No, he did not kill gaara, did gaara and itachi ever met in the first place? gaara lost to deidara and died when they extracted the shukaku from him, he killed lots of jinchuriki? did I miss something? because I can't remember him ever killing anyone besides the uchiha clan which he killed to protect konoha, he didn't have any evil intentions. All the things itachi did was for the greater good, at least that's what he thought was right, we don't know what reasons annie has so far other than what her dad told her about humanity being her enemy etc but I'm pretty sure she has better reasons than that, I don't hate her by the way, she is actually my favorite female character so far, many people probably hate her because she killed petra.
Extracting tailed beasts = killing them. Because once it is extracted, jinchuriki are dead. And to extract them all Akatsuki had to be present what means Itachi took part in killing them.

He also tortured Kakashi during his first appearance.

And as Randrak42 pointed out, he was adored right from the start before big reveal was made. And his crimes are ten fold bigger than what Annie did here.

We do know one thing, Annie saw how twisted government is and pointed it out to Eren. Why the strongest are kept furthest away from titans?

Than there are church people hiding titans in the walls and refusing to tell what they know. Then there is Ymir, a titan who turned into human.

Also where did Eren's father disappear to? He seems to know a lot about titans too.

The government is clearly hiding something and while it is not confirmed I'm sure what Annie did was for bigger good as well. And from what we saw she did not enjoy her mission much either.

Well she might take some joy in killing but Itachi has exactly the same joy in torture and mind fucking.