AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Old 2011-07-22, 15:06   Link #41
poisui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dist View Post
What's the point to stall on purpose if you have all episodes readily available and you have time? Just watch it all and enjoy and think about the series afterwards.
First of all, everyone is different. Just because you can watch a series all at once doesn't mean other people can or is willing to do the same.

Quote:
Whenever I dl anime and find a good one...
Not to mention, some series are more entertaining than others. Let's use yourself as an example, according to what you said, you only marathon a series that you consider to be a "good one." For other people, it is different. They stall series that they find are not "good." They get caught in a position where they neither want to continue watching nor drop the series. And so, they stall the series.
poisui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-22, 15:33   Link #42
Dist

Send a message via MSN to Dist
Then you clearly didn't read the OP neither understood what I was saying. Read the very first post, that is what I was referring to. The anime was out, but he had only watched 6 episodes so far .. He was stalling it on purpose, found the anime good but preferred to enjoy it this way.

I do not understand why would you stall a series on purpose if you like it a LOT. I don't get what kind of '' enjoyment '' you get from watching one episode per two weeks.
Old 2011-07-22, 15:36   Link #43
poisui

Quote:
Then you clearly didn't read the OP neither understood what I was saying. Read the very first post, that is what I was referring to. The anime was out, but he had only watched 6 episodes so far .. He was stalling it on purpose, found the anime good but preferred to enjoy it this way.

I do not understand why would you stall a series on purpose if you like it a LOT. I don't get what kind of '' enjoyment '' you get from watching one episode per two weeks.
Quote the OP if you want to avoid confusion. Your post could equally have been a response to the OP or to my post (directly above yours).
poisui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-23, 21:05   Link #44
tehmuffinmon
Seleção

I also like to space it out when I really get into a series, though sometimes I can't help but become addicted. More often than not, though, I end up taking breaks anyway. My attention span isn't my strongest asset, and even when I genuinely enjoy something, I still have a hard time finishing a series off as fast as most of my anime-watching friends. To each their own, I s'pose!
tehmuffinmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-24, 08:57   Link #45
Coldlight
Sayaka★Magica

If I'm watching anime with someone, I just end up marathoning the series to benefit the other person (usually just a relative who sleeps over).

When I'm watching all by myself, however, I tend to watch series in even number blocks of episodes (2/4 eps a day), instead of the entire series in just one or two sittings, especially if the series is really good but short (12-13 eps/one cour), in order to avoid or lessen the feeling of "having just watched a series whose only real flaw is, it's too short".

On the other hand, if the series is reasonably long (24/26+ eps, two cours and more), and the plot is engrossing, I marathon the show with adjustments depending on other activities that day. If the show turns out to be mediocre, however, I tend to stall watching and see only a few episodes at a time, completing the series after a long time has passed. As much as I don't like bad series, I hate dropping shows even more. As a result, I avoid entire series longer than 52 eps/4 cours.
Old 2011-07-26, 09:18   Link #46
Dop
We can't stop here...

When the final subbed episode of Mouryou no Hako appeared, I decided that as the subs had been spread out over more than a year, (and i can appreciate it must have been a very difficult show to sub), I'd sit down and watch all 13 episodes in one go...
...then my head exploded.

(MnH was a fantastic show and it's a crying shame it'll never get licensed because it's too cerebral for the mass audience)

As a rule, watching six episodes of the same show in a row at one sitting is about my limit.
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-26, 18:10   Link #47
Endless Soul
Based on a True Story

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dop View Post
As a rule, watching six episodes of the same show in a row at one sitting is about my limit.
Same with me because six episodes is usually around 3 hours. So I'll break my marathons up into a couple days if it's a 12 episode series.
Old 2011-07-26, 20:44   Link #48
psycho bolt
Cowmaster

depends on how long the series, and how much time I have on my hand. I can pretty much handle a 11-12 episodes series in one sitting, if I'm not too weary.
psycho bolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-26, 21:01   Link #49
Chaos2Frozen
I Am Undone

It's fine to watch comedy or slice of life one episode at a time per week, it's good to let it soak in the experience slowly over the 3 months as opposed to burning through them and feel nothing at the end of it. This also applies if you're watching an adaption of a series you're already familiar with.

However for those shows that have an engaging and serious dramatic story, and just freaking loves to end each episode with cliffhangers... I say hold out for as long as you can before starting... OR rather, finishing. Even then, don't just burn through everything in one sitting, you're bound to miss out on alot of details.

Moderation is key.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-26, 21:46   Link #50
psycho bolt
Cowmaster

Some people like to absorb the story details so they tend to watch a few in a day. Then go on the forums to discuss or think a bit.

Meanwhile, others don't have the patience and would like to see what happens next.

Either way, all it matters is what you prefer that gives you a worthwhile experience.

I am a mixture of both. I would watch an episode, then go to online forums to see what others think, and then go onto the next episode.

However, I could never find myself jumping into a new anime right away after finishing good one.
psycho bolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-27, 03:42   Link #51
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Depends on the series... anime series "about nothing" (*cough* Seinfeld) like ARIA are hard to watch in long marathons (and ARIA is one of my top 5 anime of all time) so I tend to watch 2 or 3 at a time and take a break. Same goes for most 4-koma sourced stuff that relies on repeated refrains or layering the jokes. OTOH... I can usually sit through an entire series of a rom-com over the span of a few night. My wife and I tend to do that with both anime (e.g. Otome Youkai Zakuro, Toradora) and live-action series (e.g. Modern Family, Doc Martin, etc)
Old 2011-07-27, 04:02   Link #52
Vicious108

Marathoning all the way. The reason why I rarely ever watch on-going anime is because I can't stand having to wait a week for each episode. Most of the time when I'm interested in an on-going show I simply wait for it to finish and then watch it all at once.

The few exceptions would be those reeeally episodic anime like Gintama, Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei, Aria and whatnot. Those tend to be hard to digest continuously and thus following them weekly turns out to be the better option.
Vicious108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-31, 07:34   Link #53
katsumi
ghostly member

I tend to marathon only if the entire series already finished, I have all episodes and the storyline just REALLY gets me hooked.

However, after more than 3 hours marathoning I tend to get the weird feeling that the world stopped turning .

Also, it depends on how much time I've got on my hands, which usually isn't that much...so I rather tend to stick to one-episode-per-week-or-so mode.
Old 2011-07-31, 07:51   Link #54
grylsyjaeger
Onani Master

Send a message via MSN to grylsyjaeger
Depends on the show and how deep it is.

If it's a light hearted comedy I could watch a half dozen eps in a row before I needed to stretch my legs.

But if it's a more complicated story with intricate interactions, I prefer to limit myself to only one or two episodes so I can dwell more on the events and their implications.

"It doesn't mean much, we never had a chance."
grylsyjaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-01, 11:23   Link #55
Bri

Depends on the anime. A show with a complicated plot that requires attention I tend to break up in chuncks of 4 to 5 episodes. Which is enough for me to keep track of the overarching storyline and short enough not to let my mind wander.

This chunking helped me to rewatch and absorb the whole universal century storyline of Gundam this winter and spring.

Episodic material like sit coms and SoL never more then one or two episodes at a time. My mind just drifts away and I end up doing other things fairly quickly. Great way to relax though after a long day.

New seasons are always a bit frustrating, having to watch single episodes to keep up in the begining and having to chose what to watch. After the first two/three episodes I revert back to chunks.
Bri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-23, 04:17   Link #56
YuriEcchiGirl

I agree, if an anime is very enjoyable it makes sense that you would end up watching it very fast & finishing it quick whereas if it's not getting your attention as much over such a period of time or you're unable to actually find the time to do so, it would naturally be a much slower process, but nonetheless still enjoyable all the same
Old 2011-08-23, 10:07   Link #57
Kiyomizu
Never Knows Best

It's really rare for me to speed through a series. If I watch it too fast I don't have enough time to become attached to the characters, which takes some power away from the ending.
Kiyomizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-26, 06:13   Link #58
YuriEcchiGirl

I can watch a 12/13 episode long anime series in under 2 days, that's about as fast as I get generally
Old 2011-08-28, 04:07   Link #59
FlavorOfLife
Uncaring

One aspect i find funny for some people i know that marathon series is that for series with some mystery, they have a tendency to say later "oh that was so simple, oh i already knew the ending".

Madoka for example. I know a few peeps who say the ending is soo expected yet unless they are truly extraordinary rather than extraordinary in their own minds, i seriously doubt that. Plenty of evidence in blogs and forums on people giving all sorts of possible endings and some already moaning on a bad end during the gap between eps 10 and 11/12
FlavorOfLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-28, 13:39   Link #60
tyranuus
Team Spice and Wolf UK

I don't tend to fall under the pure marathon, aka all episodes in 1 sitting, brigade, but I HAVE always preferred to watch an anime once it's complete, and then watch it all in a short space of time (anywhere from 1-6 episodes a day, occasionally more if I have the free time and I'm really getting into the show, for example I shot through both series of Spice and Wolf in 2.5 days)

There are occasional exceptions where I slow down and take weeks to finish a show (busy with work, other things going on or I'm simply not finding myself that drawn by a show and am just trying to finish it).

On average though, I guess I'd say when I'm watching anime, I'll get through about a series a week.

I'm not the sort who enjoys watching one episode a week if I like a show though, I'd find that painful; just like with books, I read on the faster scale, so I make it through books rather quickly if I'm enjoying them, unless I force myself to slow down.
Reading: Rosario and Vampire II, Sankarea
tyranuus is offline   Reply With Quote