AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2004-10-14, 22:57   Link #1
Inuzuka
now with 20% more ego!

Send a message via MSN to Inuzuka
Man's future

Where do you see Humanity 1 or 2 centuries from now?
Inuzuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-14, 23:22   Link #2
Grona
Big Damit!

Wiped from exsistantance due to war If a certan country continues busting stuff up, theres going to be a nice terrorist stew on the go.
Grona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-14, 23:27   Link #3
???
Unknown

Humain mutated to animals such as humain catgirls, humain puppygirls... who knows... the world is polluted with full of radiations. Im sure our future sons will have nekomimi on the top of ther heads

And monkeys will own the world
??? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-14, 23:34   Link #4
ramune

Quote:
Originally Posted by ???
And monkeys will own the world
Planet of the Apes...

I agree with what others have said. Either humanity will cease to exist or our technology will be advanced enough for us to move to other planets.
ramune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-14, 23:43   Link #5
sOnJoOL

Send a message via AIM to sOnJoOL Send a message via MSN to sOnJoOL
one simple word.
Rapture.
sOnJoOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-14, 23:47   Link #6
hobobaggins
だいすきが大好きです!

Send a message via AIM to hobobaggins
??? - for one i see you nuked by a grumpy old man (or by a genderless entity)

dead. isnt that how we will all end up?

oh. humanity. like i care what happens after i die
hobobaggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-14, 23:53   Link #7
hooliganj
Team Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by sOnJoOL
one simple word.
Rapture.
What about those of us who are staying here?

(Not to mention the fact that I think anyone who is sure they'll be picked is immediately off the list )

I for one, am still optimistic that we can all pull our collective head out of the sand in time to fix things up, but it will take a lot of effort. And people who blind themselves with promises of heaven aren't going to help anymore than those who believe in 'shoot first ask questions later'. If things keep going at the rate they are, I'm seeing Canticle for Leibowitz or Now and Then, Here and There as closer to the truth.
hooliganj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-15, 00:35   Link #8
Inuzuka
now with 20% more ego!

Send a message via MSN to Inuzuka
I personally hope, to see mankind in general wises-up and uncovers wonderous revelations which would help them live their lives in the best and most productive way they can, o yeah, and for them to be happy too
(Not intended as a double-post)

Last edited by Inuzuka; 2004-10-15 at 02:19.
Inuzuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-15, 00:46   Link #9
sOnJoOL

Send a message via AIM to sOnJoOL Send a message via MSN to sOnJoOL
i dont want to convert anyone or debate about it, its just my opinion.
sOnJoOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-15, 00:47   Link #10
raikage
日本語を食べません!

Depends whether or not the world can slow down its energy consumption.
raikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-15, 00:47   Link #11
xargon

Due to the human stuborness(sp?) I doubt we will fade away. Mostly likey we will be way to advanced from now, hopefully society is more liberal by then. It'd be cool if we have already colonized on other planets. But I also read somewhere that human life span will increase as new generations come so seeing ppl live upto 150 years would be intersting.

edit: er.. just read the topic, "Man's future" <-- dont you think thats a sexist comment in this day and age? I mean seriously man is not > woman. thus humanity's Future imo is more right.
even though its a little thing, I think that these little things make quite a difference.
xargon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-15, 00:58   Link #12
Avaj
?!!

Oh nos, leet text will destroy us all.

There will be more of the same, technology will probably blossom more then it has over the past hundred years. All kinds of fun stuff.
Avaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-15, 01:00   Link #13
Thelastguardian

Maybe a Type 1 civilization?

Hopefully by the end of the 23 century, humanity would advance to Type 1 civilization .

Of course it depends on that
1. We don't get hit by meteorite and blow up.
2. We don't commit unvoluntary suicide by nuclear or biological disaster.
3. We don't get run over by the ever increasing sea level.
4. We don't have major world war and civil war.
5. We don't have AI that could rebel against human.
6. Or that we could over come singularity.

The last point is especially interesting as no one has any idea when it would hit and how it would affect us. For example, we could roughly predict when a meteorite hit us, what is the total energy and mass release etc. .
But for singularity, any idea in regrads with it would be just educated guess. No one know how technology would progress. Even as earlier as 50 years ago, most scientists thought that a "home computer" would be as big as a car and internet was something out of the world.

Assuming that singularity would happen one day, humanity would need to make a choice. And this choice would affect the outcome of not only humanity, but to the universe as general.

Mark my word .

Last edited by Thelastguardian; 2004-10-15 at 01:18.
Thelastguardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-15, 12:57   Link #14
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

Personally... I'd like to see humanity survive the next 50 years, forget about the next 200.

There are many things, more so than days gone by, that man now toys with that he doesn't fully understand. In our pursuit of knowledge we push the limits of science and physics to the very edge and odds are we will push them too far. In recent years various countries have been constructing larger and more powerful super collider devices. For those unsure of what these devices are, in one sense they are wonderous machines that allow us to explore the limits of quantum machanics and sub-atomic structure. In the other sense they are machines which accelerate individual atoms to speeds in excess of 0.9998c (99.98% the speed of light) where their mass and energies approach the infinite before slamming them into each other. There are many things that can go wrong with these experiments, some infinitely more frightning than others.

Strange Matter:

One such thing is the creatation of a type of matter appropriately named strange matter or quark matter. These are the things that make up nuetron stars and blackholes and are extremely dangerous. Strange matter can exist in two states, positively charged and negatively charged with negatively, while supposedly the rarer of the two, being the worst possible state of matter concievable. A positively charged mass of strange matter simply exists, almost inate while contrary to all physical laws, negatively charged strange matter, however, consumes all other matter. As it is infinitely dense, just like a blackhole, it pulls all other matter towards and into it converting it into more strange matter. It's not that bad, really, of the three facilities on the face of the earth capible of possibly creating this matter only one of them is actively trying to while one near New York admits that it's experiments just might, while the odds are slim, create it as a by-product.

Phase Transition:

Another thing that can go wrong is the creatation of a phase transition. A 'phase transition' by the simplest definition is a change of state; for example, a liquid becoming solid is such a phase transition. Now there are some basic princliples that need to be understood before hand, primarily Guth's Inflationary Universe Theory. At a fundamental level you have to make an assumption that very early on in the history of the big bang, empty space itself, what physicists call 'the vacuum,' had some very unusual properties for a short time, and then underwent what is called a 'phase transition' - something just like what happens when water freezes, a radical change of state - into its present form. For an infinitely short amount of time, nothingness was indescribably weird; then it settled down into nothing at all, and has been ever since.

Sidney Coleman was one of the first to make the point that there is no way for us to be sure that our present vacuum is in the lowest possible energy state. It might, in theory, be possible for space to undergo a further phase transition, to a different and lower-energy vacuum state. In other words things can always get worse, very much worse. In a different vacuum state all laws of physics would be changed (kind of like the strange matter descibed above - creepy, right?). All particles as we know them and everything we see around us, would be destroyed before we were able to acknowledge the event itself.

A fun little bit of trivia and possibly a lazy weekend experiment, but did you all know it's possible for water, pure water with no impurities, to exist in a liquid state at temperatures excess of 200 degrees celcius (almost 400 degrees fahrenheight)? A strange yet true fact! Try it at home, all you need is a jug of distilled water, a styrofoam cup (or a bag of them for repeated experiments although coffee mugs seem to work as well), some suger cubes or table salt and a house hold microwave (the more powerful the better!). Fill a cup with distilled water and place it in the microwave for an abhorent amount of time (don't go overboard, just enough long enough that the water should have all boiled away). When the microwave is done put your courage and oven mit to the test and remove cup from the mircowave very carefully and place it a good distance from anything valuable. Now, toss in some salt or a suger cube to witness phase transitions in all their glory.

The moment the salt or sugar enters the water, the contents of the cup will either boil away instantly (albeit violently) or if you managed to get the water REALLY hot, detonate. Similarly, the same thing can be done with super chilled distilled water except it lacks the explosive tendencies.

Cosmologist Sir Martin Rees speculated that our universe could be in such a state - its vacuum 'super cooled' - and that, given the proper trigger, a bubble of 'new vacuum' might be accidentally created which would expand at the speed of light to engulf the universe. So far as present human knowledge extends, there was never anything in the universe colder than 2.7 degrees above absolute zero, the present temperature of the microwave background - until we invented refrigeration. In the other direction, we are equally ambitious. The kind of thing that might create dangerous conditions between very high energy particles in very big accelerators. Such a collision could conceivably create a large local energy density of just the kind that might trigger a phase transition in the vacuum.

As it is, there are two super collier facilities thoeretically capable of generating phase transitions of this nature. One, the Super Conducting Super Collider facility under construction in Texas, although the US goverment has halted it's construction, at 80% completion is it still, within reason, able to do the job. The International Linear Collider on the other hand, currently seeking funding to begin construction, will be the single most powerful super collider ever built capable of rending not only matter but space itself.

Science offers us such promising views of the future...

@Thelastguardian - I'd think that large scale application of systems similar to Tesla's Wardenclyffe Tower could very quickly elevate us to Type I status.
Mr_Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-15, 13:05   Link #15
hobbs
nothing 2 do with calvin!

Send a message via AIM to hobbs Send a message via MSN to hobbs Send a message via Yahoo to hobbs
everything happens for a reason and usually results in good in my view. so i think the world will always be here.
hobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-15, 13:45   Link #16
Shay
Monarch Programmer

Mr Paper: You're vast knowledge in so many different fields scares me.

But yet again a very interesting and learning read, thank you.
Shay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-15, 15:38   Link #17
HoboGod
Necromancer

meh, typical answers you'll get from most people is that humanity wont exist. But ask the same question in a time frame they think they'll be alive, and they'll think humanity will exist.

Humans are egotistical enough to think that the world would stop without them. I know I sure as hell would be if i wasn't so damn cynical. ^_^

The truth of the matter is that humans will always push to protect themselves when they think they are in danger. We are in danger of losing fossil fuels, so we start researching new forms of energy. Atomic Bombs threaten the existance of humanity, we create limited war. climate changes, we migrate. food becomes scarce, we limit reproduction. illness threatens to kill children, we create vaccines. Even when something does fuck up and our race is doomed, we will be harder to kill than cockroaches.

Where do i think we'll be in a few hundred years? I don't give a shit. I'm still egotistical enough to think the world would be a boring place without me in it.
HoboGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-15, 15:46   Link #18
Ending

Double-post. Baleet.
Ending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-15, 15:47   Link #19
Ending

What happens when you put 2 flies into a bottle with enough food for 10 days? They reproduce and reproduce until the food runs out. Then they die, but I do not think that something as simple as that would wipe out humanity even in 2000 years. Maybe in 20.000, but not in shorter. Thus the competition of scarce resources for bigger nations will get more and more violent until Żber-sexy aliens attack and make all the males their sex-slaves, leaving Earth both barren and bitchy.
Ending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-15, 16:20   Link #20
Tzurial
in silent opposition

Send a message via AIM to Tzurial Send a message via MSN to Tzurial
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avaj
Oh nos, leet text will destroy us all.

There will be more of the same, technology will probably blossom more then it has over the past hundred years. All kinds of fun stuff.
Actually Ive recently been noticing alot of studies, books, articles, e-mail fowards (ugh) about whether or not our future will actually be futuristic. Because of diminishig oil, it's said that we (The US especially) are on the verge of rampant chaos and a huge die-off set in the next 30 years, even though we could continue consuming for the next 100. Im not sure though, If anyone has anything more to add about this, I would appreciate the information because I lost the book I bought on the subject (it was hardback too!) -__-
Tzurial is offline   Reply With Quote