AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2011-08-05, 14:36   Link #241
Tetra Vaal
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xagzan View Post
BB and TDK were fun. Nothing more, nothing less. Certainly not the hideous, unwatchable monstrosities you make them out to be.
I strongly disagree. There's nothing "fun" about Nolan's Batman films once we remove the terrible action choreography and hideous costume designs from the equation. Why you ask? Because Nolan's scripts are completely devoid of humor-- this was ever more prevalent in 'Inception', but has also been on display in 'Batman Begins' and 'The Dark Knight.' And even when there is a joke to be had in either of the Batman films, it falls short... just look at the Joker's "What happened, did your balls fall off?" line. It was such a poorly delivered line that felt like it was unsure of itself-- unsure because it's Nolan's way of trying to "push the boundaries" of PG-13, so he only goes halfway. You either go all out or you don't go at all. Leaving yourself stuck in the middle just leaves you open to this fair game criticism. Then the worst of the worst: Nolan's constant need to shove a blender full of his heavy-handed philosophical garble down your throat, that a viewer quickly shrugs off due to its excessive and unnecessary exposition.

Nolan is not a great director-- he's not even good. He's simple, basic, and formulaic.
Tetra Vaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-05, 14:41   Link #242
Xagzan
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
I found Joker's behavior and lines to be pretty funny. Not the balls line specifically, but the pencil scene was very amusing, as was his stint in the nurse's outfit, and of course his "You complete me," line. Whole theater laughed at that if I remember correctly.
Xagzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-05, 14:47   Link #243
Tetra Vaal
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xagzan View Post
I found Joker's behavior and lines to be pretty funny. Not the balls line specifically, but the pencil scene was very amusing, as was his stint in the nurse's outfit, and of course his "You complete me," line. Whole theater laughed at that if I remember correctly.
Those lines do nothing for me. But to be fair, if there's one strong element about 'The Dark Knight'-- it was Ledger's performance. That's about it, though.

I don't put a whole lot of stock into a theatre laughing. Hell, I remember seeing 'Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen' in theatres and people were laughing at the idiotic jokes Sam's Mom made-- as well as Devastator having testicles, which was unacceptable. No offense intended to anyone on here, but there's a lot of... let's just say "not smart people" that go the movies now-a-days. It's almost impossible for me to take the general film goer serious.

Oh, but one more thing... the pencil scene is yet another example of as to why I hate this "pushing the boundaries of PG-13" nonsense. Instead of showing the guys' eye being smashed to a pulp-- or better yet, the "Why so serious?" line before cutting the man's face, the camera quickly cuts away. It's so by the book.
Tetra Vaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-05, 15:49   Link #244
Samari
World's Greatest
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: San Francisco
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xagzan View Post
I hear the file's name on the official site was like selina_kyle.jpg, so hopefully that's a shot of her as Selina, and not the full Catwoman suit since, you know...doesn't have anything resembling a cat about it.

Still, Anne Hatheway is hot, so yeah.
I'm guessing it's a deception. I have a feeling she'll be sporting more of a full costume resembling a cat in either other parts of the film or this part that they may be reshooting again. Anne Hathaway does look very sexy in that costume though. Hopefully she has a whip too.
__________________

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
永遠不要失去信心,你的命運。
Samari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-05, 16:12   Link #245
Ithekro
Warning
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Republic of California
Age: 37
It is a rather tight suit and she seems to fill it well.
__________________
Dessler Soto, Banzai! Signature by ganbaru
Rena's Saimoe Take Home List 2014: Dairenji Suzuka.Misawa Maho.
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-05, 16:30   Link #246
Xagzan
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetra Vaal View Post
Those lines do nothing for me. But to be fair, if there's one strong element about 'The Dark Knight'-- it was Ledger's performance. That's about it, though.

I don't put a whole lot of stock into a theatre laughing. Hell, I remember seeing 'Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen' in theatres and people were laughing at the idiotic jokes Sam's Mom made-- as well as Devastator having testicles, which was unacceptable. No offense intended to anyone on here, but there's a lot of... let's just say "not smart people" that go the movies now-a-days. It's almost impossible for me to take the general film goer serious.

Oh, but one more thing... the pencil scene is yet another example of as to why I hate this "pushing the boundaries of PG-13" nonsense. Instead of showing the guys' eye being smashed to a pulp-- or better yet, the "Why so serious?" line before cutting the man's face, the camera quickly cuts away. It's so by the book.
Yeahhh, I have no desire to see an eye being smashed to a pulp. I'm glad they didn't show it, and would probably have had to leave if they did. Although I haven't even seen an R rated film where they explicitly showed eyes being destroyed (whether Once Upon a Time in Mexico, Matrix Revolutions, etc)
Xagzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-05, 16:32   Link #247
Bonta Kun
One Punch Man!
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Resides within the depths of Ned infested Glasgow
Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
Still can't really make out the suit (and I still don't like the long hair), but the Catmobile is pretty cool. Though, isn't it just a copy of Batman's motorcycle from the 2nd film? Whatever, it's slightly organic and just a little chic.
I'm think she just stole B's ride which is very like her, so if thats what it is Nolan is doing well with her character with the expection of the long hair, I'm also not a fan of the long hair here(depsite my love for the look)
I've always known Catwoman with her short hair and thats how it should be.

The suit however is atm all I can say is ok but then I admit I'm a little saddened that it wasn't like the the image I posted before
__________________
Bonta Kun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-05, 16:37   Link #248
Ithekro
Warning
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Republic of California
Age: 37
Well to be fair, I would think she'd only use your version at home...or in Wayne Manor.
__________________
Dessler Soto, Banzai! Signature by ganbaru
Rena's Saimoe Take Home List 2014: Dairenji Suzuka.Misawa Maho.
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-05, 16:58   Link #249
Samari
World's Greatest
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: San Francisco
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonta Kun View Post
I'm think she just stole B's ride which is very like her, so if thats what it is Nolan is doing well with her character with the expection of the long hair, I'm also not a fan of the long hair here(depsite my love for the look)
I've always known Catwoman with her short hair and thats how it should be.

The suit however is atm all I can say is ok but then I admit I'm a little saddened that it wasn't like the the image I posted before
I've always liked Selina Kyle with her longer hair from the early 90's and that purple suit. I could also see her stealing Batman's cycle. I remember something similar happened in HUSH.
__________________

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
永遠不要失去信心,你的命運。
Samari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-05, 17:25   Link #250
james0246
Senior Member
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: East Cupcake
Now that I think about it, the long hair kind of reminds me a little of Julie Newmar's 'do from back with Adam West. Just add some cat ears to the costume and we will be set .
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-05, 19:46   Link #251
Bonta Kun
One Punch Man!
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Resides within the depths of Ned infested Glasgow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samari View Post
I've always liked Selina Kyle with her longer hair from the early 90's and that purple suit. I could also see her stealing Batman's cycle. I remember something similar happened in HUSH.
I admit that 90s look is a look I can get behind but I don't know I guess I feel that most of the other females of the series just had a simialr look be it from before/during or after that time.

I totally forgot about that bit in HUSH with the bike and it's actually her look in HUSH I like quite alot.

Pity we probably won't get to see Harley Quinn make any kinda appearance.
__________________
Bonta Kun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-05, 21:27   Link #252
Tetra Vaal
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xagzan View Post
Yeahhh, I have no desire to see an eye being smashed to a pulp. I'm glad they didn't show it, and would probably have had to leave if they did. Although I haven't even seen an R rated film where they explicitly showed eyes being destroyed (whether Once Upon a Time in Mexico, Matrix Revolutions, etc)
Enjoy your kiddie pool. When you're read to broaden your film horizons and allow yourself to come to the realization that graphic material has its place in film, let me know. Until then, enjoy your candy-coated, fake boundary pushing superhero films.

Back to the matter at hand-- I just discussed this Catwoman photo with a friend at work. He's not anti-Nolan or anything, but he made the best comment yet: "It's Anne Hathaway in a Zorro outfit." It was hilariously accurate.
Tetra Vaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-05, 21:33   Link #253
Xagzan
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetra Vaal View Post
Enjoy your kiddie pool. When you're read to broaden your film horizons and allow yourself to come to the realization that graphic material has its place in film, let me know. Until then, enjoy your candy-coated, fake boundary pushing superhero films.
Wow. Talk about a broad, completely inaccurate assumption. Yes, not feeling like watching something that makes me squeamish = kiddie pool. I suppose not wanting to watch say, Batman's heart get ripped out by Joker and then explode, triggering a chain reaction of exploding babies in orgiastic showers of blood, makes me childish and immature. Yes, material like that really does broaden one's horizons.
Xagzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-05, 21:44   Link #254
Tetra Vaal
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xagzan View Post
Wow. Talk about a broad, completely inaccurate assumption. Yes, not feeling like watching something that makes me squeamish = kiddie pool. I suppose not wanting to watch say, Batman's heart get ripped out by Joker and then explode, triggering a chain reaction of exploding babies in orgiastic showers of blood, makes me childish and immature. Yes, material like that really does broaden one's horizons.
Nice exaggeration. There are plenty of R-rated films-- hell, graphic films, that aren't tasteless or for the sake of shock value, alas 'Saw', 'Friday the 13th' (remake), 'The Devil's Rejects', etc., etc. Just look at the stuff Paul Verhoeven and David Cronenberg have put out. Or better yet, John Carpenter's 'The Thing'-- that movie is grimey and gory as hell, but not for the sake of shock value. But the point being: if you're gonna put a blade in someone's mouth or slam their eye off a no. 2 pencil, just show it. Those pansy ass quick cut-a-ways to give your film this faux-darkness just ain't cutting it. Nolan is a wuss.
Tetra Vaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-05, 21:45   Link #255
Ithekro
Warning
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Republic of California
Age: 37
Considering that the prime market for superhero movies is teenagers....PG-13 seems reasonable. That has supposedly always been the comic book market of choice. That and children around the age of nine.
__________________
Dessler Soto, Banzai! Signature by ganbaru
Rena's Saimoe Take Home List 2014: Dairenji Suzuka.Misawa Maho.
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-05, 21:47   Link #256
Tetra Vaal
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Considering that the prime market for superhero movies is teenagers....PG-13 seems reasonable. That has supposedly aleays been the comic book market of choice.
Believe it or not, I understand that. That's the demographic for virtually almost all superheroes. However, with Nolan on record saying he wanted to push the boundaries of PG-13 and Christian Bale himself in the past saying he wants an R-rated Batman, why not go for it? It's not like making an R-rated, uncompromisable 'Batman' film is taking that character into uncharted territory. It's plausible and within reason. It just doesn't help Nolan's case that there is no such thing as "hardcore PG-13."
Tetra Vaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-05, 21:57   Link #257
Ithekro
Warning
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Republic of California
Age: 37
Pushing generally means they see just how far they can go before they rate them R, then they edit the scene to get themselves out of R rating. At least that's what they use to do before there was a PG-13 rating. Make a film PG as close to R as they could, then edit so they release a PG movie that is practically an R rated film. Then they come up with PG-13 to cover those...so they try to push it the same way as before.
__________________
Dessler Soto, Banzai! Signature by ganbaru
Rena's Saimoe Take Home List 2014: Dairenji Suzuka.Misawa Maho.

Last edited by Ithekro; 2011-08-05 at 22:12.
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-05, 22:47   Link #258
Masuzu
ヒーロー
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: キセキの世代
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetra Vaal View Post
Believe it or not, I understand that. That's the demographic for virtually almost all superheroes. However, with Nolan on record saying he wanted to push the boundaries of PG-13 and Christian Bale himself in the past saying he wants an R-rated Batman, why not go for it? It's not like making an R-rated, uncompromisable 'Batman' film is taking that character into uncharted territory. It's plausible and within reason. It just doesn't help Nolan's case that there is no such thing as "hardcore PG-13."
To be fair, I don't think he could make an R-rated film without forcing it, no use making it if he can't do it right anyway

which seems to be the case.

About the suit though, well, I'm not a fan of that hair, and those goggles look really awkward, so yeah, I'm not liking it.

Glad the bike is back though, I liked that thing.
__________________
Masuzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-06, 00:54   Link #259
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Indonesia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetra Vaal View Post
However, with Nolan on record saying he wanted to push the boundaries of PG-13 and Christian Bale himself in the past saying he wants an R-rated Batman, why not go for it? It's not like making an R-rated, uncompromisable 'Batman' film is taking that character into uncharted territory. It's plausible and within reason. It just doesn't help Nolan's case that there is no such thing as "hardcore PG-13."
He/they did it for profit. The fact is, an R-rated movie in summer holiday is less profitable than PG-13 movie which virtually accessible to any potential audiences (read: wallets) . Nolan WAS pushing the PG-13 boundary in TDK like what he said, right? I just want to know, how can you push PG-13 even further than in TDK?

Also, I don't think a movie needs to be bloody or R-rated to be 'mature'. While I'm at it, I really want to know your opinion about Batman: TAS.
Obelisk ze Tormentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-06, 01:02   Link #260
Tetra Vaal
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
And that's the problem. Nolan is nothing more than a studio's bitch. And I don't buy it that an R rated blockbuster can't make money in the summer-- just look at 'District 9' in 2009 (grossed over $115 mill in the States and over $200 million worldwide). And that film wasn't based on any successful source material and it was from a first time director with a first time lead actor and virtually NO recognizable crew members. Not to mention, it was going head to head against 'Inglourious Basterds' for several weeks. But anyway, there are plenty of other movies-- like 'The Matrix' and its two sequels, which made an absolute killing. The only reason why R rated blockbusters generally fail is because 9 times out of 10, that film is in the wrong hands. And finally, there is no "pushing the boundaries of PG-13"-- 'The Dark Knight' may have looked grim in terms of its visual presentation, but the material was as kid-friendly as ever.

I'm not particularly fond of 'Batman: The Animated Series' either (although, I don't hate it, certainly not to the extent of Nolan's films). The two animated features of 'Batman' that I absolutely love are: 'Mask of the Phantasm' and 'Batman: Gotham Knight.' Truth be told, those are probably my two favorite film/animated takes on 'Batman'-- especially the former, which IMO, really exceeded where TAS failed.
Tetra Vaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:02.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.