AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Closed Thread

Old 2004-03-27, 00:41   Link #1
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

Pet Peave: Anime's diverging from the Manga

This tends to be a bit of a pet peave with me, but I've noticed that there's starting to become more and more anime's that are based off a manga that are aquiring the very nasty habit of taking some "artistic licence" and diverging from the anime, in some cases completely divesting themselves of the entire manga storyline. And in the process it just totally kills the anime and the anime goes from rocking just like the manga to sucking like a Hoover. What is it with studios doing this? It's bloody annoying. I've even seen Naruto taking a few "liberties" away from the manga along the way. They haven't totally diverged, but they sure have been taking plenty of side trips and little senic tours along the way. Even FMA is beginning to have little problems with that too.

Is this becoming a real problem, or am I just overly picky about the studios actually sticking to a tried, tested, and successfully manga storyline? It just seems so pointless for them to do this. But hey, it's probubly just me being too picky.
Old 2004-03-27, 00:49   Link #2
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Sometimes it's not so bad. Read the Nadesico manga, then watch the anime. The anime is completely different, but is also a lot better. Still, most times when the anime diverges from the manga, it doesn't turn out that well...
As for Naruto and fma, I think Naruto is following the manga rather closely. There really haven't been any huge differences. FMA differs a lot from the manga, but it's still good. Sometimes the anime can actually be better if it doesn't follow the manga that closely than it would be if it did follow the manga to the letter. As the latest episodes of naruto prove, what flows well as a manga might not as an anime.
Old 2004-03-27, 01:01   Link #3
Yebyosh
冤枉的小狗

It is not so bad if it is adapted well.

A good example so far is FMA (opinions may differ).

It is terrible when everything is slaughtered during adaptation.

This happens to be the case of Chrno Crusade, Flame of Recca (ending), Hellsing (second half) & Soul Hunter.
Old 2004-03-27, 01:38   Link #4
DrWho2002
Fushigi Mystery!! @_@

Or you could just not read manga altogether, like I do... I don't have time to both read manga and watch anime and still do everything else in the day.... =p
Old 2004-03-27, 02:03   Link #5
hunterx
ore wa kanpeki da

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Raiden
This tends to be a bit of a pet peave with me, but I've noticed that there's starting to become more and more anime's that are based off a manga that are aquiring the very nasty habit of taking some "artistic licence" and diverging from the anime, in some cases completely divesting themselves of the entire manga storyline. And in the process it just totally kills the anime and the anime goes from rocking just like the manga to sucking like a Hoover. What is it with studios doing this? It's bloody annoying. I've even seen Naruto taking a few "liberties" away from the manga along the way. They haven't totally diverged, but they sure have been taking plenty of side trips and little senic tours along the way. Even FMA is beginning to have little problems with that too.

Is this becoming a real problem, or am I just overly picky about the studios actually sticking to a tried, tested, and successfully manga storyline? It just seems so pointless for them to do this. But hey, it's probubly just me being too picky.
huh? this has been happenning like forever. animators only have 30min to make a story from the manga, so it's normal that they will either make fillers or drag things out to fit. I happen to like anime that doesn't completely follow the manga, it makes the manga readable even after you've watched the anime because there are a few things you can find for yourself. Like in the latest naruto episode they didn't explain the kanji on gaaras head but the manga does from that scene.
Old 2004-03-27, 04:44   Link #6
Tabiree
FUNimation's Gen Fukunaga

I tend not to mind this a whole lot, because it gives me incentive to see both Anime and Manga. If one were simply the same as the other, there'd be no real pull for me to buy one, and prefer another.

Thats just me though
Old 2004-03-27, 19:13   Link #7
Yujinbito

Although it's annoying from a purist's standpoint, it also makes sense if you think about the anime and manga as being separate things. If you think about it as translating a still-image story constrained by space into a moving-image story constrained by time. In that sense, when done well, to keep the core of the story, the anime has to be different from the manga. My favorite example is Akira. I like the movie and I like the manga. Without a doubt, the manga is better. But rather than try to squish the whole story into a 2 hour movie and make asses of themselves, the movie developers realized that there was no way to do that and that it would be better to re-tell the story, holding themselves to nothing but themes and character designs, and very basic plot elements. Akira the movie keeps the core of the story and puts it into the framework of a movie, Akira the manga does it in the long-distance manga format. Same ideas, different story, different medium. Of course, that's not the norm and Katsuhiro Otomo was sort of creatively in charge of both versions in that instance. But it's a nice theory. Still, the problem of translation from space to time stands no matter how poorly some shows deal with it. And as others point out often, sometimes they shoot themselves in the foot by catching up to the manga... and then they have to diverge since they can't just wait a few weeks until the manga gets ahead of them again. Then we get filler.... argghhh... we all hate filler.
Old 2004-03-27, 20:05   Link #8
Lina Inverse
SL Aki fanclub president

Well, the main reason why manga and anime often differ at least somewhat is so that they can be sold better.
If manga and anime were 100% identical, many people would say if the had either one that they didn't need to buy the other one since it's exactly identical.
Old 2004-03-27, 22:01   Link #9
Wandering_Youth
lost in wonder forever...

It really doesn't bug me since I don't read many of the manga versions for all the animes I watched except for Oh My Goddess! and Card Captor Sakura.
Old 2004-03-27, 23:20   Link #10
whatever123

Send a message via MSN to whatever123
i haven't read a lot of mangas that were turned into anime but the mangas i did read that turned into anime either really did have a lot more depth than there anime counterparts (in some cases) or had a much better ending than the anime

if i would have a serious issue with some these animes i would say kenshin being the most followed by samurai deeper i've also heard rumors that the getbackers manga was much better than the manga and imo i really liked those series until they got a bit boring (kenshin sfter shishio arc) or lost it's plot (getbackers after the first mugenjo arc) or just had some weird ending (as in the case of SDK)
Old 2004-03-28, 02:12   Link #11
DrWho2002
Fushigi Mystery!! @_@

What about manga's that are based on the anime series? Like the Wolf's Rain and Rah Xephon manga? Those came out AFTER the TV series... ^_^
Old 2004-03-28, 03:09   Link #12
jennwenn

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWho2002
What about manga's that are based on the anime series? Like the Wolf's Rain and Rah Xephon manga? Those came out AFTER the TV series... ^_^
*shudder* Yeah, and they SUCKED. Bleh! Or the Princess Tutu manga. Burn it.

Usually, I don't mind anime diverging from manga storylines. In Saiyuki for example, a totally original character to the anime, Homura, is my favorite. But some anime adaptations are just butchered. (Chrno Crusade, Samurai Deeper Kyo as mentioned....) Others are well done and create two equally good versions. (I totally agree with the mention of Akira here, and add Ghost in the Shell).

What we should really be looking at is who did the anime scripting and adapting, and who the director is. That is what determines if the anime version will suck or not. If the scriptwriter/director suck, they will absolutely fail to capture the vision of the manga. If they suceed, then any changes they do or do not make still maintain what the manga fans love.
Closed Thread