AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-07-20, 17:48   Link #441
Triple_R
Ho Ho Honoka!
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by creb View Post
Right. Even in front of only her father in her dojo. Call me a cynic, but I think the moe factor has far more credence. /shrug
Yeah, I'm with you on this.

I didn't like this "a total klutz when not in combat mode, but super dexterous fighting expert when in combat mode" approach in the old Read or Die anime either.

It can really strain suspension of disbelief for me, and I just don't see clumsiness as cute. Pitiable, perhaps, but not cute.
Old 2011-07-20, 22:15   Link #442
Kismet-chan
The Chaotic Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisdrache View Post
The world would be so much better if everything could be excused with it's only an anime! Sadly it doesn't work that way.
Last time I checked, a hand-drawn cartoon that involved very nonexistent elements, such as demons that needed to be slain, didn't need to be politically correct to real life, let alone have uniforms that were logical/acceptable by our standards. Unless things changed when I wasn't looking? Anyway, it's less about it "being only an anime" and more about it having CLAMP as the group that did the designs. If you're on this forum, you SHOULD know of CLAMP. And if you know CLAMP, then you should be desensitized to seeing these sorts of things in the shows they work on. (Actually, the uniforms are AWFULLY tame compared to what I've seen in about 90% of their stuff. Then again, they may have purposefully toned it down since they only did the char designs and nothing else. This is even tamer than what they did for Code Geass.)

Heck, anime has become so notoriously outrageous that you should be desensitized to seeing MOST outfits that count as "nonsensical clothing" in ANY anime by now.

(Unless it's REALLY bad... like, Ivy's main outfit from Soul Calibur 4 bad. )
Kismet-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-20, 22:49   Link #443
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kismet-chan View Post
they may have purposefully toned it down since they only did the char designs and nothing else.
Actually for this series they are also writing the script.
Old 2011-07-20, 23:18   Link #444
hanashi

Meh, other than that weird band on the left arm, I don't mind the uniforms. And my main problem with the band is that it looks official because it's assymetrical. I keep waiting for Hibari to swoop in and knock someone out. I'm more bothered by the fact that I can't see a clasp or a hook on the chain...How do they get it on/off?!

12 more hours until we (hopefully) get some answers. More for me, actually. *sigh* Work gets in the way of anime yet again. Judging from the preview, it looks like Saya's neat mental and physical separation of Moe/Bad-ass is going to be challenged.
Old 2011-07-20, 23:26   Link #445
Asury

I don't think anyone has mentioned this...
so I'll say it: I just want Diva.... she made blood+ for me.
I want my super psychotic Diva, which I know Clamp can make wonderfully ~

Otherwise, I think my concerns are what everyone else are.... we are into episode 3 and nothing mayor is happening. I hope that changes
Asury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-21, 01:46   Link #446
Kismet-chan
The Chaotic Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
Actually for this series they are also writing the script.
... CLAMP, I am disappoint. That definitely explains the lame start to this series (plot/pacing-wise), because I can only think of two series by CLAMP that had great first episodes/manga chapters...

I just hope the explanation in the next episode is satisfying enough to make me want to continue watching it. Because right now I REALLY need something to make me want to give a damn about these characters (for a reason other than Saya being cute/awesome).
Kismet-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-21, 02:40   Link #447
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kismet-chan View Post
because I can only think of two series by CLAMP that had great first episodes/manga chapters...
What would they be? & have you read/watch everything CLAMP manga and adaptation?
Old 2011-07-21, 08:34   Link #448
Xagzan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asury View Post

Otherwise, I think my concerns are what everyone else are.... we are into episode 3 and nothing mayor is happening. I hope that changes
I also let the thought briefly pass my mind as to who might be this series' Diva, but I think there probably won't be a parallel, if they're trying to differentiate themselves from Blood+

Though she certainly made the series for me too. Poor, broken psychopath Diva
Xagzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-21, 08:44   Link #449
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asury View Post
Diva is what made Blood+ for me as well. She was so wonderful. A shame the last part of the series kind of ruined her... can't say I enjoyed her transformation into a shota.

I somehow doubt they intend to introduce Diva. Considering the slow pace of the series and low amount of episode, I'm not sure they'll be able to introduce and develop her properly. I bet the bad guy will be one of the male character that was already introduced (Fumito is the most likely candidate right now). However, for it to be a "true" Blood work, I'd say they need to introduce an evil twin, whether they name her Maya like in the Last Vampire manga or Diva.
Old 2011-07-21, 09:02   Link #450
LordEmbok

Spoiler for Blood+:

Calling it now.
LordEmbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-21, 10:35   Link #451
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordEmbok View Post
Spoiler for Blood+:

Calling it now.
I like the speculation, i'm with you
Old 2011-07-21, 14:23   Link #452
Nina.Wolken
~~N/F~~

Another monster of the week episode with a first half of episode always so dramatically slow. But a second part more interesting :

Spoiler for ep 03:

Again, please : no more gimauve! Even the elder bairn looked like a giant gimauve this time
Old 2011-07-22, 08:17   Link #453
hanashi

That final monologue sequence creeped me out a bit. Something about Saya's demeanor and her slack face, the heavy-domineering hand on her shoulder and gallery of glass globes full of blood...

Is it just me, or is this starting to seem like a giant experiment? I mean, think about it--there are so many possible controlled variables. The town's population is really quite small, Saya eats food from the same places (There's only one of everything, right? Even in a small town, that seems odd to me), she doesn't have a TV/radio/computer... And of course, there's the voice in the monologue asking what shapes a person, what makes them who they are, as though they're recording notes for an operation or an experiment. Maybe they're experimenting on Saya to see if they can remove the bloodlust/instincts from the furukimono?

Ass a side note, I found that train car monster genuinely disturbing. I've always hated getting in empty train cars. But the baker looked like he was under some sort of spell. So some of the beasties have mind whammy powers? It is traditional in vampire lit, but none of the monsters have fit my conception of vampires or even the chiropterans.
Old 2011-07-22, 08:23   Link #454
Faerie

What's up with that Guimauve? It looks suspicious. What is it even made of? I will call this the most sinister sweet ever

Spoiler for episode 3:
Faerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-22, 08:58   Link #455
mechalord
Deploying Funnel Cakes

The show has the whole "not everything is as it seems" going on. It's about this super sweet and cute girl that brutally fights demons at night. Saya's personality is creepy. Is it just a facade? It think this is what they're aiming at... "nothing is completely right, there."

Anyhow, she has the whole Clark Kent thing going on. When she's not the uber Vampiress, she's a clutsy country girl.

Is she really just desensitized to slaying demons? Business as usual? Just a second nature, not really as emotionally taxing as it would seem?

And this show is not supposed to be tied to other incarnation of the Blood franchise. Blood: The Last Vampire movie is Blood A. Blood + is Blood B. And this is Blood C, the C universe.

Oh yeah, you just want those Guimauve to be human brains. Why does Saya find them so tasty? It's the Vampiress in her... bwahaha. Omg, the cafe dude is a zombie. No!!!
mechalord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-22, 09:51   Link #456
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkullFaerie View Post
What's up with that Guimauve? It looks suspicious. What is it even made of? I will call this the most sinister sweet ever
I wonder why would a French dessert be served in a rural Japanese community. Obviously, that owner has been abroad.

http://parisbreakfasts.blogspot.com/.../guimauve.html
Old 2011-07-22, 11:03   Link #457
Faerie

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
I wonder why would a French dessert be served in a rural Japanese community. Obviously, that owner has been abroad.

http://parisbreakfasts.blogspot.com/.../guimauve.html

ooh thank you! =) So it's basically a fancy marshmallow. I thought it would be more jelly-like from the looks of it (there's a sweet like that in Belgium, but it's cone shaped)
Well then it's again quite weird though, that a province cafe in Japan would serve those, you're right. Saya's family/ close environment= totally creepy.
That Cafe guy= the new Kyuubei

Getting sort of hooked on the show now, but these speculations need to start getting more dense hints in the plot. It's episode 3 already, time to get on with it...
Old 2011-07-22, 11:12   Link #458
hanashi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkullFaerie View Post
Spoiler for episode 3:

I think she didn't realize that it was a trap. She was following him to see where he went and he got on the train, which had a conductor, was train-shaped, etc. My first thought when I saw that scene was "No don't do get on the train! That never ends well in the movies!" but I thought the beastie was going to be at the next stop or something like that. I wonder if Saya would have been more suspicious if she had a TV growing up.
Old 2011-07-22, 11:27   Link #459
Faerie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanashi View Post
I think she didn't realize that it was a trap. She was following him to see where he went and he got on the train, which had a conductor, was train-shaped, etc. My first thought when I saw that scene was "No don't do get on the train! That never ends well in the movies!" but I thought the beastie was going to be at the next stop or something like that. I wonder if Saya would have been more suspicious if she had a TV growing up.
That's possible. Wouldn't be the first time someone had underestimated a situation. But what was weird: we see the flashback to her remembering buying things there, with everyone being happy and pink clouds and blahh.

So a normal nice girl who happens to pop things that bump in the night for a living would've been concerned about the nice guy from the bread shop.
Except Saya didn't even flinch when he got ripped to shreds Even for someone who has been desensitized to violence, you would expect the hero to care for the people in their town.
This alone is enough to make one assume that things are really wrong there, and it's not just being used to violence.
Damn it, I want to know some facts now
Old 2011-07-22, 11:29   Link #460
Preacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanashi View Post
Dont think so. It does not look like her goal is typical "protecting people around", it seemed more like everything and everyone is irrelevant except for killing the monsters.

Assuming the first part of the episode happened AFTER the fight, then her reaction on the news about the baker also was not that of concern that she let him die or sadness, but the unhappiness with herself that she was not efficient enought at her "job" and that it attracts unnecessary attention to it and could expose her. She had a facial expression of anger.

She did not flinch a muscle when he died, and if she wanted to not get the people involved she could have just hit him unconscious when she met him and then go for the best.

It looks more like, in the Hunt mode, she is completely different existence and humans are irrelevant for her and only thing that could reach and influence her there probably would be the voice of her father.

Tags
action, blood, clamp, miko, production i.g.