AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2011-08-27, 09:56   Link #841
wandering-dreamer
reads too much
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: you know that's a great question.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
[T]he involvement of magical elements is already a concern, since a signature feature of the Blood franchise has always been the lack of mysticism; everything preternatural was always explained through science. Going the fantasy rote now is baffling for me.
Quick question, did the original OVA explain that the monsters were the products of science not magic? I honestly don't recall an explanation being given in the OVA and Blood+ has a different canon that wouldn't even affect Blood-C.
wandering-dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-27, 10:04   Link #842
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by wandering-dreamer View Post
Quick question, did the original OVA explain that the monsters were the products of science not magic? I honestly don't recall an explanation being given in the OVA and Blood+ has a different canon that wouldn't even affect Blood-C.
The original OVA had vampires. Not one shred of magic was in it.

Even the change from human to chiropteran was explained scientifically. We got to see it happen.

These monsters in Blood-C are not canon. Watanuki being there just threw the "canon" pathway out of the window.
__________________
orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-27, 10:14   Link #843
LKK
Moderator
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Virginia, USA
Age: 52
I'm a CLAMP fangirl and a mild-at-best fan of the Blood franchise (saw Blood + but not B:TLV), but even with all that predisposition, I would prefer that they kept CLAMP's universe (multi-verse??) out of Blood-C. I sincerely hope that they're trolling the audience by using Fukuyama's voice and the reference to a wish-granting shop. I hope that in the end the dog is not Watanuki in an alternate form. I think that Blood-C should either stand alone or stand within the Blood franchise. It doesn't need the extra burden of fitting into the CLAMP universe.
__________________

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
My manga list | My anime DVD list
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-27, 11:49   Link #844
lightbringer
M9000
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: SBC Gurokken
I don't like where this whole wish granting thing is going either (straight into another CLAMP crossover), but it's too late to stop it. Blood+ was not really all that related to the first movie, either, so I wouldn't expect any consistency here.
lightbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-27, 12:17   Link #845
TheEroKing
On a Break
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: India
Age: 28
Send a message via Skype™ to TheEroKing
>Involves Saya getting drugged.
>Some kind of human experimenting going on.

Except for Watanuki popping up, all i see is science so far. So chill with the "it has too much clamp in it" stuff already.
__________________
TheEroKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-27, 12:50   Link #846
Iby
minority spirit(?)
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Hyakka Ryoran
Age: 24
Send a message via ICQ to Iby
Oh, people, just what's this talk around the concept of Blood about ? That's the quote from the official site of I.G:

Quote:
About Blood
Theatrically released in 2000, Blood: The Last Vampire was Japan's first fully digital animated film, and also Production I.G's first and highly successful attempt to create a project based on a fully in-house developed original concept. A dream team including Mamoru Oshii (Ghost in the Shell), Junichi Fujisaku (Blood+) and Kenji Kamiyama (Eden of the East) assembled for this purpose. The movie featured Saya, a teenage girl in school uniform slashing metamorphic monsters with a Japanese sword -a unique concept contributed by Junichi Fujisaku. Combining this powerful heroine with stunningly cutting-edge animation, Blood: The Last Vampire has been mesmerizing moviegoers and renowned creators alike all over the world, starting from James Cameron and Quentin Tarantino. The character of Gogo Yubari in Kill Bill: Vol. 1 was reportedly inspired by Saya. In 2005, I.G expanded the movie's concept with Blood+ -a 50-episode TV series directed by Junichi Fujisaku, which reached out to a wider market. The Blood franchise includes comic adaptations, novels, and videogames. In 2009, a live-action remake directed by Chris Nahon, starring Gianna Jun (Jun Ji-hyun) and produced by Pathé was released worldwide.
So?

Last edited by Iby; 2011-08-27 at 12:51. Reason: change
Iby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-27, 13:22   Link #847
Kazu-kun
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iby View Post
Oh, people, just what's this talk around the concept of Blood about ? That's the quote from the official site of I.G:
So?
I fail to see your point. Just because BloodTVL was an original concept (meaning it wasn't based on a preexisting manga or light novel), it doesn't mean it doesn't have a concept.
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic39230_3.gif
Kazu-kun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-27, 13:32   Link #848
Kismet-chan
The Chaotic Dreamer
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: In a cruel yet beautiful world
Age: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKK View Post
I'm a CLAMP fangirl and a mild-at-best fan of the Blood franchise (saw Blood + but not B:TLV), but even with all that predisposition, I would prefer that they kept CLAMP's universe (multi-verse??) out of Blood-C. I sincerely hope that they're trolling the audience by using Fukuyama's voice and the reference to a wish-granting shop. I hope that in the end the dog is not Watanuki in an alternate form. I think that Blood-C should either stand alone or stand within the Blood franchise. It doesn't need the extra burden of fitting into the CLAMP universe.
Totally agree with this. It was the only part of the episode that made me go "... :/ No."
Kismet-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-27, 17:17   Link #849
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: England, UK
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEroKing View Post
Except for Watanuki popping up, all i see is science so far. So chill with the "it has too much clamp in it" stuff already.
It's past the point now where people will chill about the matter. I'm just going to keep enjoying Blood C as the CLAMP show i've known it as since the first episode. Adding in Watanuki has changed nothing for me. Just that i'm pleased CLAMP would do such a thing.
__________________
Shiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-27, 20:01   Link #850
Forsaken_Infinity
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: United States of America
Age: 23
Send a message via Skype™ to Forsaken_Infinity
Well, that's fine and all but people who wanted a true Blood show that truly followed TLV (not necessarily a sequel but followed it theme-wise and aesthetically) are obviously already disappointed and them being angry is fine too. To each his own. I stand in the middle and I have my fingers crossed. This could either be epic or sink like a rock in the next few episodes.
Forsaken_Infinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-27, 21:22   Link #851
TheEroKing
On a Break
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: India
Age: 28
Send a message via Skype™ to TheEroKing
I really don't get people being angry at things they are practically getting for free.
__________________
TheEroKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-28, 03:52   Link #852
Iby
minority spirit(?)
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Hyakka Ryoran
Age: 24
Send a message via ICQ to Iby
Kazu-kun, I meant that the words I've highlighted is the concept of the series (from the off.site), other things apart from that can be changed.
Iby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-28, 04:04   Link #853
Kazu-kun
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iby View Post
Kazu-kun, I meant that the words I've highlighted is the concept of the series (from the off.site), other things apart from that can be changed.
I see. But what you have there is a sale pitch, not a concept. Basically a pitch is when you reduce a concept to a few lines for advertisement purpose.
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic39230_3.gif

Last edited by Kazu-kun; 2011-08-28 at 05:55.
Kazu-kun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-28, 04:23   Link #854
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: England, UK
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsaken_Infinity View Post
Well, that's fine and all but people who wanted a true Blood show that truly followed TLV (not necessarily a sequel but followed it theme-wise and aesthetically) are obviously already disappointed and them being angry is fine too. To each his own. I stand in the middle and I have my fingers crossed. This could either be epic or sink like a rock in the next few episodes.
I don't really think that's the point anymore. There have been people who were enjoying the show regardless of it being a none sequel to the past film or TV series. It's the fact that there's now seems to be a connection to a past CLAMP show which involves a bit of magic, which has people's underwear in a twist. Personally i really don't see how it changes the show. Heck, they should be lucky that there seems to also be a connection to Blood: The Last Vampire.

When this project was first announced, it was never mentioned that Blood C would be a sequel to a past project in the franchise. It should have been obvious it would be an alternate retelling, seeing as though CLAMP were behind the wheel.
__________________
Shiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-28, 04:52   Link #855
Sol Falling
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Age: 25
To be honest, I found the magical dog amusing and episode 7 quite enjoyable. It made for a step up from episode 6 actually, as the repetitive gore + mysterious villagers schtick was starting to drag for me. I dunno that I'd like to see this show go full-on magic and crossovers though. That's mainly 'cause it'd kinda feel like a negation of all the atmosphere they've built up thus far. I'm not really a Clamp fan, or a Blood fan either for that matter, but I was hooked in by this show's somewhat shoujo influences. It makes for a kinda interesting mix. The Blood series alone has never been particularly interesting to me. So, frankly put, I think it'd be best if this show tried to more or less maintain that mix instead of pulling too far in one direction (i.e. Clamp) or the other (i.e. Blood).
__________________
Seasonal enjoyment ratings:
HappinessCharge Precure 100/5 :: Stardust Crusaders 80/5 :: Mushishi S2 90/5 :: Akuma no Riddle: 15/5 :: Inugami-san to Nekoyama-san 24/5 :: GochiUsa 33/5 :: Soul Eater NOT! 18/5 :: Love Live! S2 80/5
Summer: Sailor Moon Crystal 30/5 :: Hanayamata 30/5 :: Locodol 80/5 :: Yama no Susume 100/5 :: Momo Kyun Sword 11/5
God-tier yuri oneshot mangaka: Minase Ruruu
Yuri Precure otaku manga: Shinozaki-san ki wo ota shika ni
Awesome shoujo manga: Last Game
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-28, 05:05   Link #856
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
For instance, Blood+ was pretty different from the original BTLV but still presented the main characteristics that makes a Blood series Blood.
Um, what? BTLV was a pretty simple story: the military found the last real vampire and put her to work killing monsters because only she had the ability to detect and kill them. There was some vague explanation about the origins of the monsters and Saya but that was about it.

Blood+ featured a completely different Saya. Also different was the concept of a Chevalier, her blood being the "poison" that kills the monsters, genetic engineering, Diva, and of course, the "hibernation" that Saya apparently needed. About the only thing that Blood+ had in common with BTLV was military involvement and the Chiropterans.

All three of these series only have one thing in common: Saya killing monsters with a sword.

You can complain about the CLAMP influence (and I do agree that it could do without the multi-verse tie in), but it's laughable to suggest that the franchise has established some kind of "formula" beyond a girl in a school uniform killing monsters with a sword.
__________________
Solace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-28, 05:11   Link #857
Forsaken_Infinity
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: United States of America
Age: 23
Send a message via Skype™ to Forsaken_Infinity
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
Um, what? BTLV was a pretty simple story: the military found the last real vampire and put her to work killing monsters because only she had the ability to detect and kill them. There was some vague explanation about the origins of the monsters and Saya but that was about it.

Blood+ featured a completely different Saya. Also different was the concept of a Chevalier, her blood being the "poison" that kills the monsters, genetic engineering, Diva, and of course, the "hibernation" that Saya apparently needed. About the only thing that Blood+ had in common with BTLV was military involvement and the Chiropterans.

All three of these series only have one thing in common: Saya killing monsters with a sword.

You can complain about the CLAMP influence (and I do agree that it could do without the multi-verse tie in), but it's laughable to suggest that the franchise has established some kind of "formula" beyond a girl in a school uniform killing monsters with a sword.
Agreed but it's certainly true that TLV had a much more mature, dark and gritty feel to it and I want a Blood anime that expounds on those themes for once ._. I don't mind CLAMP (no longer a squeamish "fangirl" though - haven't been for a while) but I can certainly sympathize with the lot that are getting mad about this whole Blood C fiasco. I can only hope CLAMP do it well from here on. But their recent works have been rather off (imo) anyway; perhaps they are pushing this CLAMPverse thing too much.
Forsaken_Infinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-28, 05:45   Link #858
Kazu-kun
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
Um, what? BTLV was a pretty simple story: the military found the last real vampire and put her to work killing monsters because only she had the ability to detect and kill them. There was some vague explanation about the origins of the monsters and Saya but that was about it.
BTLV wasn't only the movie you know. It was the movie, a manga, two light novels, and a video game. And at least the movie, the game and the manga are essential to understand the story. For instance you're wrong about Saya.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
Blood+ featured a completely different Saya. Also different was the concept of a Chevalier, her blood being the "poison" that kills the monsters, genetic engineering, Diva, and of course, the "hibernation" that Saya apparently needed. About the only thing that Blood+ had in common with BTLV was military involvement and the Chiropterans.
What Blood+ retains from the original is IMO the most important aspects of it:

1) the "vampires" are not magical creatures.

2) the monster-like chiropterans are not the real ones, but genetically engineered ones.

3) a down to earth backdrop, with some mild political and social themes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
it's laughable to suggest that the franchise has established some kind of "formula" beyond a girl in a school uniform killing monsters with a sword.
How would you know if you don't know half the works that comprise the franchise.
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic39230_3.gif
Kazu-kun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-28, 06:11   Link #859
Forsaken_Infinity
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: United States of America
Age: 23
Send a message via Skype™ to Forsaken_Infinity
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
BTLV wasn't only the movie you know. It was the movie, a manga, two light novels, and a video game. And at least the movie, the game and the manga are essential to understand the story. For instance you're wrong about Saya.
The movie alone was enough to establish the essentials of your claim anyway - that Blood doesn't deal with magic and has an essentially down to earth setting with mature themes with little to no room for magic. But Solace and Shiroth have a point in that the series never set its "rules" in stone and it's .

Actually, on rereading Solace's post, he does come off with a rather condescending tone and Saya's definitely not just another girl in school uniform killing monsters - not so even if he followed nothing but the movie because the movie treats her with enough respect in whatever little characterization it provides. That is a pretty big deal.

Quote:
What Blood+ retains from the original is IMO the most important aspects of it:

1) the "vampires" are not magical creatures.

2) the monster-like chiropterans are not the real ones, but genetically engineered ones.

3) a down to earth backdrop, with some mild political and social themes.
Blood+ wasn't really anything like TLV itself though. If it had been, people wouldn't have even wanted a new series imho. Or maybe they would have been more hyped about it. IDK tbh. But Blood+ was kinda meh for the most part.


Quote:
How would you know if you don't know half the works that comprise the franchise.
Valid point this is. The movie is sufficient to establish the franchise as being much more serious than some wishy washy magic mayhem anyway. But well, if CLAMP, who do have creative control over this show, decide to do something unfunny - and if the owners of the franchise name decide to keep the blood tag, not much fans can do except boycott it. The only sad part is that doing so would more or less kill any hopes for a proper addition to the franchise. So my suggestion is to sit back and enjoy the show for what it is than what it should have been. As long as they don't completely mess it all up, it should still be a decent watch. We'll know soon enough.
Forsaken_Infinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-28, 06:21   Link #860
Kazu-kun
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsaken_Infinity View Post
Blood+ wasn't really anything like TLV itself though. If it had been, people wouldn't have even wanted a new series imho. Or maybe they would have been more hyped about it. IDK tbh. But Blood+ was kinda meh for the most part.
I really didn't like it much either, but I appreciated the fact it retained some aspects from the original. All in all, if you made the more soup-operish elements of the series aside, it wasn't half bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsaken_Infinity View Post
Valid point this is. The movie is sufficient to establish the franchise as being much more serious than some wishy washy magic mayhem anyway. But well, if CLAMP, who do have creative control over this show, decide to do something unfunny - and if the owners of the franchise name decide to keep the blood tag, not much fans can do except boycott it. The only sad part is that doing so would more or less kill any hopes for a proper addition to the franchise. So my suggestion is to sit back and enjoy the show for what it is than what it should have been. As long as they don't completely mess it all up, it should still be a decent watch. We'll know soon enough.
Well, I'm not really complaining anymore about Blood-C. As some else pointed out in a previous post, as a Blood series, Blood-C already failed. Now I just hope it won't suck all together.
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic39230_3.gif
Kazu-kun is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
action, blood, clamp, miko, production i.g.

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:04.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.