AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Suggestions

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-04-08, 11:01   Link #1
silverwolf0

Looking for something serious

I'm trying to find new anime to watch but ever since last year I have yet to find one that interests me. Is Japanese anime becoming more esoteric? Maybe I'm just jaded.

Need suggestions for this new crop of anime coming out. So far none of them look even watchable from the trailers and first episodes upped on Youtube. I'm talking about shows like Dorororo Enma-kun, Toriko, A-Channel, etc.

Some criteria that kind of rule out 90% of anime...

No girls in maid outfits or cat costumes running around throughout, gratuitous panty/cleavage shots, complete sluts who pose for the camera. Nothing overly perverted, although a slight amount is sadly expected in even the most straight-faced of anime

No childish or cutesy styles or cartoony super deformed ones. This doesn't mean shows like Katanagatari or One Piece. They don't have to be realistic. Just not be deformed and silly.

No overly indulgent and distracted anime. This includes cliches like spending 5 minutes beating a supposed hentai up for possibly staring at cleavage, usually drawn all deformed. Spending 15 minutes slowly rambling about a philosophical point or human existentialism, especially shoved in shallow anime that completely ignore what they preach

No slice of life or school-based drama

No ridiculously dumb shows

No "mature" shows that have deliberately ugly and off-center art styles or depict gratuitous violence and sex and debauchery because it is so "mature". Nothing against either, but they should not be a focus. Something like Black Lagoon is a prime suspect.

I'm looking for something serious, meaning it's trying to tell a story and not BS around, not the boring serious where they sit there and give diatribes all day or blood and murder serious which is really more juvenile than serious. In fact, I've been looking for ages for something good to watch, so it doesn't have to be new anime. I think I just want something that has a more universal appeal, that usually is a good candidate for overseas licensing. Exceptions would be good shows like Kemono no Souja Erin that went under the radar.

Last edited by silverwolf0; 2011-04-08 at 11:11.
Old 2011-04-08, 21:13   Link #2
Hooves
♣~Sleepy~♣
*Author

Send a message via Skype™ to Hooves
Would be good if you posted a list of what you already watched, but just going to give a shot out of dark here.

Darker then Black - Nothing involving the "sit around till everyone dies" thing, there are action scenes there and there. But this anime overall is serious to me and dark at the same time. I barely even noticed any of the "character looks at cleavage" moments in this anime...
Old 2011-04-08, 21:17   Link #3
recover

yea..ur criteria is ridiculous. its almost like you saw one anime that you liked, and want an exact duplicate of it..
Old 2011-04-08, 21:23   Link #4
Hooves
♣~Sleepy~♣
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by recover View Post
yea..ur criteria is ridiculous. its almost like you saw one anime that you liked, and want an exact duplicate of it..
Sorta sounds like it that much is true. But there were other animes in his post that make it not sound like it at the same time.
Old 2011-04-08, 21:25   Link #5
liquidmetal
procrastinating...

Definitely echo the need for a list of anime you have enjoyed.

The Twelve Kingdoms tells a great story with a richly detailed world.

Ghost in the Shell: SAC is quite serious but also does go on about what it means to be human.

Both highly praised animes.
Old 2011-04-08, 21:39   Link #6
mecharobot

Quote:
Originally Posted by recover View Post
Agree with this. Watch Kaiji or stop whining.
Old 2011-04-08, 22:06   Link #7
SuzushinaYuriko
SHSL Lurker

Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica. Yes, the character designs are cutesy, but the incredible story it tells and the music more than make up for it. Watch three episodes and you'll be hooked.

Dennou Coil, an underrated show that starts out as a bit of slice of life (but it really drops a lot of important information in these episodes) and then delves into an amazingly written intense mystery about the truth of technology.

Wolf's Rain is a deep story that takes place in a world on the brink of collapse. The story centers around four wolves who have the ability to disguise themselves as humans as they go on a journey searching for a long-lost paradise.

Baccano! is a masterpiece of an anime that takes place in 1930's America. The storyline jumps from three separate timelines which initially makes it confusing, but by the end everything connects together perfectly. I do recommend watching the English dub as it is better and more natural than the original Japanese voices, and they did a fantastic job with the New York accents.

Jigoku Shoujo is a story about a certain website called Hell Correspondence. It is only accessible at midnight and if you type the name of a person you want to send to hell, Hell Girl appears and gives you a straw doll. If you pull the string off of the doll, the person will instantly go to hell, but in exchange your soul will burn in hell for all eternity after you die. The anime is mainly episodic except for the end, and does a good job of depicting the very dark side of human beings.

Kara no Kyoukai is the story of Kokuto Mikiya, who finds himself intrigued by two things. The first is Ryougi Shiki, a beautiful, yet rather unsociable, girl and the other is the strange series of violent deaths that start occuring in his town. As he attempts to get closer to Shiki, he soon learns that the two are connected and that there are many supernatural forces at work which could very likely get him killed as well. The animation and music is incredibly high quality, and the heavy atmosphere in this series is unmatched.

Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 is the story of a normal and pessimistic girl, Mirai, who gets caught in the middle of an 8.0 magnitude earthquake in the middle of Tokyo with her younger brother. This series was actually made due to a prediction of an earthquake of that scale occurring in the next 30 years (2011 Japan earthquake). This is a painfully realistic series of a girl and her brother trying their best to deal with the tragedies that this earthquake has caused and find their way home.
Old 2011-04-08, 22:12   Link #8
Hooves
♣~Sleepy~♣
*Author

As expected from yukirosuzuka I was also thinking of dropping in Baccano!, Jigoku Shoujo, and Madoka Magica. But din't have a way to explain them
Old 2011-04-08, 23:04   Link #9
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Like others I'm guessing, but if you liked Erin and haven't seen Uehashi's other major adapted work, Seirei no Moribito, you should start with that. It shares with Erin an interest in the role of founding myths but has more traditional action and intrigue. The heroine is a 29-year-old spear-wielding bodyguard who is entrusted to protect a young prince. Supernatural forces play a core role in the story, but like Erin, the story really focuses on the humans.

liquidmetal's recommendation, the excellent Twelve Kingdoms, shares some common themes with Moribito. Both stories take place in fantasy Asian empires, and both tell serious stories about political power.

Again, I find it unlikely that you haven't seen Monster, but if not, that would be next on my list. Monster tells the story of a Japanese neurosurgeon practicing in Germany at the time Communism falls in Eastern Europe. He saves the life of a young boy shot through the head, only to discover years later that his act of mercy may have unleashed a powerful "monster" upon the world.

yukirosukuza offered many excellent suggestions as well. Two of my favorite shows are on that list, Dennou Coil and Baccano!. I haven't seen all the others but Madoka and TM8.0 are certainly worth watching as well.

I'll end with two quite dissimilar shows that aired side-by-side last year in the Noitamina block. One is a surrealistic take on college life called Tatami Galaxy, the other a moody historical drama about a group of kidnappers in early Edo called House of Five Leaves.